Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #76
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
I agree but the flus are airborne. Hand sanitizer won't stop it from spreading.
The alcohol in the hand sanitizer kills the flu virus on your hand, so when you rub your eyes, nose, mouth etc, the idea is that it won't be transferred from a surface to you on your hands.

It ABSOLUTELY makes a difference and it does stop the spread. More people probably catch it from contact than from breathing the airborne virus.

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #77
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
The alcohol in the hand sanitizer kills the flu virus on your hand, so when you rub your eyes, nose, mouth etc, the idea is that it won't be transferred from a surface to you on your hands.

It ABSOLUTELY makes a difference and it does stop the spread. More people probably catch it from contact than from breathing the airborne virus.

Actually not - I just read the research the other day (it was from CDC, I think?) that with the pandemic H1N1, most of it is being spread through the air. The number was very high - I'm going to see if I can find it as I need it for my colleagues at school as well (I'm the assistant Health/Safety teacher).

So, hand sanitizers do help when touching faces, but most flus are spread through the air.

I'm off to go and find that research, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 11-20-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #78
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellsMagic View Post
That is pretty scary that you just went recently and both families cam back sick. I am hoping by our trip in March the flu season will have died down some.
Actually there was 3 diff. families. Thankfully, we are all doing well now. 2 families are from Ga and the other is from Tx. We all got sick within the same week.

I have heard that WDW has now installed automatic germ gel dispensers throughout.

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
cherokeemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #79
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Actually not - I just read the research the other day (it was from CDC, I think?) that with the pandemic H1N1, most of it is being spread through the air. The number was very high - I'm going to see if I can find it as I need it for my colleagues at school as well (I'm the assistant Health/Safety teacher).

So, hand sanitizers do help when touching faces, but most flus are spread through the air.

I'm off to go and find that research, Tiger
I'd be interested to read that. And I'm curious to know how they know how people catch it and not just how its most transmittable. But the point of my post was the statement that 'hand sanitizer won't stop the flu from spreading' isn't true.

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #80
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

This is from the CDC:

Quote:
How does 2009 H1N1 virus spread?
Spread of 2009 H1N1 virus is thought to occur in the same way that seasonal flu spreads. Flu viruses are spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing by people with influenza. Sometimes people may become infected by touching something – such as a surface or object – with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.
I figure the most germs my kids would get would be from someone sneezing on a handle bar and then my kid touching the handlebar and sticking their hands in their mouths, so that's why I'm thrilled with the germ-x. Of course if someone sneezes on you that works too...Keeping my fingers crossed and orange juice chugged!

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #81
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
I'd be interested to read that. And I'm curious to know how they know how people catch it and not just how its most transmittable. But the point of my post was the statement that 'hand sanitizer won't stop the flu from spreading' isn't true.
Here are the articles:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/24...ful/index.html

http://www.newsweek.com/id/215435

Very interesting reading and it makes perfect sense. I've always had these concerns myself:

1. Airborne - particles are very sneaky, can project far and are invisible. You and your family are coming along minding your own business, and you walk through someone's droplet infected airborn particles. You may not have heard, nor seen the sneeze and therefore could not avoid it. If it's contagious, you more than likely will pick it up.

2. Most emphasis on handwashing - we are major handwashers around here, but we don't just rely on that alone. We also practice a ton of other preventative measures to lead healthy lives. I know many people who are just relying solely on handwashing, and as the article reminds us, there are other ways to pick up germs. The one article actually mentions that a CDC scientist admits that the CDC does not have any evidence that washing hands helps in the spread of H1N1 at all. The reason for this is that influenza is not a very stable virus on the hands, so it doesn't get spread very often in this manner, whereas cold viruses have a different architecture in which they love the hands - they are spread very much on our hands. On the other hand, the article mentions a doctor who believes that perhaps 30% of inflluenza is transmitted by hand to face contact. If this 30% is true, then washing hands will certainly help, but it does show that the majority of influenza, 70%, is transmitted through air.

Hope you find these articles interesting - they are both an easy read. They are great because they point out that the H1N1 virus thrives in droplets of water, which is why it loves to be airborne. The articles also mention that when you breathe in airborn particles, you pick up huge amounts of the viruses. They both still remind us that handwashing is essential in helping us with germs and as a practice, it is something that should definitely be continued, but we need to be knowledgeable of the fact that influenza is a virus that thrives in the air, and so no amount of handwashing is going to be enough to actually stop its spread - this is why some schools are still suffering outbreaks, despite students being under mandatory, hourly hand saniziting or washing hands. Infected students are still in school sneezing or coughing, and this is why influenza rates are still high.

I think there might have been one more article that actually had the results of a study in which scientists were able to detect the actual transmission rates of airborne influenza vs. contact influenza, but I can't seem to find that article.

Happy health to all, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 11-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #82
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Just an update in case anyone was curious. We have been back home for 3 days now. Nobody is sick. No swine flu for us.

We did drive. We stayed off site so we did not ride the buses. we did ride the monorail twice and the ferry once.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #83
AmyBWV99
It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while you get tan.

Glad to hear you made your trip and home safely! We leave in 1.5 days and hoping to have as good of luck!
92,93,94,95,96,97,98/April, July & Oct 99/May & Dec 00/Feb & May 01/Jan & Mar 02/Mar 03/Mar, May-June & July 04/July 05/Mar, July, Oct & Christmas-New Years 06-07/Oct 07/Mar, July & Oct 08 RFTT/Mar Gasparilla Marathon & 5k, Dec 09/Feb-Mar & Oct 10/Mar 11/Sept 12/Dec 13-Jan 14/May & Oct 14
Disneyland 76/Nov 99/ Nov 04
Magic July 99/Wonder May 01

AmyBWV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #84
AllisonG
Good thing the TF is multi-lingual!

Arrow

I am a mother of 4 kids between the ages of 12 and 1. We have been to WDW 4 times since October and have one more trip to do during Christmas. No one has gotten sick. I used antibaterial gel and wipes, I made the kids drink warm liquids to rinse their throats and we would gargle with salt water and swab the insides of our nostrils with salt water after returning from the parks . It was a full time job to keep everyone healthy before we left and during our trip but it paid off.
I don't think I would bring my 6 week baby to WDW but that is just my opinion.
97,98,99x2,00x7,01x4,02x3,03x4,
04x4,07x2,08x2,09x4,10x1
AllisonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #85
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you all returned home healthy, Tiger
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #86
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

We were at WDW 11/16-11/19 and on the Wonder 11/19-22nd and I am proud to say no one in our family was sick! Our first cruise on the Wonder we all came back with the flu and were sick beginning the night we came home. It was no fun!

At WDW I did see the automatic hand sanitizers but we did not use them. I was very conscious of washing our hands before meals and made sure not to touch my nose or face with dirty hands.

If you think about all the people you come in contact with not only on the airplane, airport, but around WDW you would go crazy with worrying. Who knows what any one person has at one time.

None of us have had the swine flu vaccine yet and we are still fine. I am not sure if we are getting it either. Our doctor doesn't have the vaccine and the free clinics aren't in our part of the city.

I did mail a box ahead of time to the resort that had my gifts for the cruise and some Lysol wipes in it. I did wipe down our stateroom on the ship and the common areas like door knobs, tables, etc... I don't know if that made any difference but I felt assured. LOL!

PS I forgot to add that on the Wonder they are pretty cautious with cleaning and hand out hand wipes before meals and in other areas of the ship. When you board the ship there are hand sanitizers waiting for you.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: