Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #61
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
Well I am due on Tuesday and the baby will be about 2mths old (9weeks) when we go. We will take precautions, but have been exposed to a high amount of H1N1 in our community. My boys go to school where numourus cases have been confirmed, and there really is no way to get away from H1N1. Everyone in our family has been vacinated.

Enjoy your trip do not let all the hype by the media scare u, be careful, but do not let it ruin your time.
Do you really think it is hype? I guess I don't consider death to be hype. Call me crazy and all.
I wish all of you health. I do however think it is insane to take such a small baby to a place that is a hotbed of germs.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #62
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
Do you really think it is hype? I guess I don't consider death to be hype. Call me crazy and all.
I wish all of you health. I do however think it is insane to take such a small baby to a place that is a hotbed of germs.
I agree - this is a rather simplistic comment. The last time I checked, my shopping mall, church and local park don't have millions of visitors to it.

Regardless of whether people believe in the "hype" of H1N1 (I can't stand that word), no one can deny the fact that WDW is a hotbed of germs for the simple fact that it welcomes 50 million people from all over the world, each and every year. That is a fact, no hype there...That alone maximizes the potential for germ transmission to stratospheric levels - many people can handle most of the germs they come into contact with, but a newborn is not going to have the same success as the rest of us.

Happy health to all, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #63
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Ok, opinions and all aside. What are the facts. Maybe I should post this on the trip reports page, but how many people are catching the flu at the parks/resorts/cruise ships vs. how many people are leaving them perfectly healthy.

2 of my coworkers children have had it, and I work for a small company. 1 local private school closed for over a week, and it is running rampant at another one. How much more possible exposure is there at Disney.

as for the "hype" I do believe a lot of it is just that. "U.S. H1N1 death toll hits 1,000" Well there are over 300 MILLION people in the country, that is not a large number. My infant could just as likely be killed in a car accident, probably more likely.

I even heard a news report that "There is a rise in people coming into the emergency room complaining of swine-flu like symptoms." Now if that is not media hype I don't know what is. It didn't even say they actually had the symptoms.

Does anyone know where to find some factual data on H1N1 at Disney?
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #64
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Ok, opinions and all aside. What are the facts. Maybe I should post this on the trip reports page, but how many people are catching the flu at the parks/resorts/cruise ships vs. how many people are leaving them perfectly healthy.

2 of my coworkers children have had it, and I work for a small company. 1 local private school closed for over a week, and it is running rampant at another one. How much more possible exposure is there at Disney.

as for the "hype" I do believe a lot of it is just that. "U.S. H1N1 death toll hits 1,000" Well there are over 300 MILLION people in the country, that is not a large number. My infant could just as likely be killed in a car accident, probably more likely.

I even heard a news report that "There is a rise in people coming into the emergency room complaining of swine-flu like symptoms." Now if that is not media hype I don't know what is. It didn't even say they actually had the symptoms.

Does anyone know where to find some factual data on H1N1 at Disney?
You could never possibly get this information as no one would know the figures as Disney welcomes people from all over the world. Unless Disney had an actual private hospital on property and they released patient info (here in my country that's illegal, so I'm assuming it is in the U.S. too), you would then maybe have an answer. But even hospital stats aren't all indicative of the situation as many people are NOT going to emergency rooms. I'm sure many people are walking around Disney, just as they are around your own community who don't know they are carrying illnesses, and then of course there are many who know they are ill, and choose to go out into public anyway.

Honestly, there is no way to know how many people at Disney have H1N1, or any other contagious illness for that matter - I would just assume that there are going to be people there who have that, as well as other respiratory (eg. RSV/Croup - which is serious for a newborn) illnesses that would be serious for a newborn.

You also mentioned cruises - are you going on a cruise as well? Cruises also have issues with the Norwalk virus - serious gastrointestinal illness. This would seriously dehydrate a newborn and a hospital stay would more than likely be necessary, but in the middle of the ocean, that would not be possible...

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, but based on the fact that you think it's all hype, and you mention that your child might have a higher chance of being killed in a car accident, it sounds like you have already made up your mind to go to WDW.

Best of health to you and your baby, Tiger
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #65
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

We have almost made up our minds. We are not 100% yet, but a key fact or figure could change them very quickly.

No, we are not going on a cruise, we did that last year, but not this time.

I just found a figure that H1N1 deaths are up to 3900 in the US now. the 1000 number was from awhile ago, just in case anyone wants to pick on that.

I do appreciate all the words of warning and caution, but we know there is a risk, we are just trying to determine how much of one. A lot of people have said things like how can you even think of risking DDs health for a vacation, but we can't stop living our lives. I have survived two wars as an infantryman, and now a brain tumor that was not a result of any choice I have made in my lifestyle. Bad things can happen regardless, we can only try to stack the deck in our favor.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #66
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have almost made up our minds. We are not 100% yet, but a key fact or figure could change them very quickly.

No, we are not going on a cruise, we did that last year, but not this time.

I just found a figure that H1N1 deaths are up to 3900 in the US now. the 1000 number was from awhile ago, just in case anyone wants to pick on that.

I do appreciate all the words of warning and caution, but we know there is a risk, we are just trying to determine how much of one. A lot of people have said things like how can you even think of risking DDs health for a vacation, but we can't stop living our lives. I have survived two wars as an infantryman, and now a brain tumor that was not a result of any choice I have made in my lifestyle. Bad things can happen regardless, we can only try to stack the deck in our favor.
Wow! Continued good health to you and your family. You have survived some serious situations already.

Best of luck to you in finding the answers that you are seeking, Tiger
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #67
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
People keep talking about the baby having the Mom's immunity BUT folks for this flu if the MOm is under 50 she has NO immunity to this flu to pass on to the child!!! This is why this flu is hitting the kids and young people so hard and why it is so deadly and debilitating to kids and especially babies!

No one under 50s immunity system has ever seen this flu and has had no chance to learn how to fight it or build up any antibodies to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Thanks, I was just going to post about this! I am the breastfeeding queen around here - 15 months and 24 months for each of my kids, and so no amount of my immunity would have protected them as I'm only in my 30s, so I don't have immunity to H1N1.

I love breastfeeding and don't want to turn this into a breastfeeding debate, but I see a huge false sense of security on the DISboards about this. No amount of breastfeeding is going to protect against these types of illnesses.

Incidentally, my son, despite my lengthy breastfeeding (had to stop as he had to have surgery), has been very ill. Multiple ear infections, pneumonia/bronchitis, asthma, etc. I know it helped some, but it didn't protect him from these illnesses. He has now had adenoids removed, asthma diagnosis (which is steadily improving) and ear tube surgery. Only these things have helped him - incidentally, he also had most of his vaccines for these aforementioned illnesses as well.

Breastfeeding is awesome, but it can only provide limited or no immunities in some cases. H1N1 is one of those cases...

Tiger
I'm the one who made the breastfeeding immunities comment...hoping someone can clarify? If I'm vaccinated against H1N1, isn't my baby getting my immunities?

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #68
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Update, both DW and I have gotten our vaccine. DD3 goes today.

We are still on 100% decided to go, but are preparing.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #69
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

For those that think it is hype, maybe the media is a tad overblown.But it is still a very realistic threat...I work in a hospital.In our ER we are getting flu patients coming in ALOT . Lately on a given night , out of 6 patients I have 4 of them are in for FLU.We ran out of vaccine, we have even a shortage of masks to protect staff .We have a trailer out in the Er area to triage flu patients coming in.A good portion of the sick are small kids.My best friend is a pediatrician in New England and is also having to admit a lot of small babies and children, and said it is pretty rampant..My hospital as has other local hospitals has put stringent visitation restrictions in effect.No overnight stays, no sick people coming in to visit hospital patients, NO kids under 18 are allowed to visit at all.It isn't just H1n1 they are worried about either.We have the seasonal flu already starting up, noro viruses, and RSV season are all gearing up.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #70
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

FYI... We were at WDW 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everyone in my family got sick. I truly believe we all had the flu...my DH was diagnosed with H1N1 and pneumonia. We met up with another family while there and their entire family of 5 got sick; after being home my friend spent 4 days in the hospital with bronchitis. Another friend was there at the same time and they all got sick. They left WDW a day early and drove straight to the ER here. She was diagnosed with H1N1 and bronchitis and then a week later pneumonia. It has been really rough and very expensive.

I certainly would not take a baby and I would be very cautions traveling to Disney for a while.

BTW we did use hand sanitizer, washed our hands constantly, took tons of Vit C and were very conscientious about germs.

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
cherokeemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #71
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Update, both DW and I have gotten our vaccine. DD3 goes today.

We are still on 100% decided to go, but are preparing.
.The vaccine takes a few weeks to build up an immunity it is not instantaneous.Your 3 yr old needs BOTH doses several weeks apart to have a greater than 90 % chance of sero-converting and developing immunity.One dose offers about a 20-30% chance of sero-converting .You could still contract the H1n1 in the next few weeks.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #72
bdiddy
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=TheWescotts;34358040]I just found a figure that H1N1 deaths are up to 3900 in the US now. the 1000 number was from awhile ago, just in case anyone wants to pick on that.
QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw those same figures last week on CNN and saw that the 3900 deaths are out of an estimated 8 million affected. And 540 of the 3900 deaths are to children under 18.

If I'm doing my math right (and I might not be since I'm terrible at math) I'm getting that is .0004875 of those infected died and .138 % of that number were kids.

CBR - Dec 2009, POR - Sept 2008
bdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #73
TinkerbellsMagic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemamma View Post
FYI... We were at WDW 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everyone in my family got sick. I truly believe we all had the flu...my DH was diagnosed with H1N1 and pneumonia. We met up with another family while there and their entire family of 5 got sick; after being home my friend spent 4 days in the hospital with bronchitis. Another friend was there at the same time and they all got sick. They left WDW a day early and drove straight to the ER here. She was diagnosed with H1N1 and bronchitis and then a week later pneumonia. It has been really rough and very expensive.

I certainly would not take a baby and I would be very cautions traveling to Disney for a while.

BTW we did use hand sanitizer, washed our hands constantly, took tons of Vit C and were very conscientious about germs.
That is pretty scary that you just went recently and both families cam back sick. I am hoping by our trip in March the flu season will have died down some.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #74
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

I was at Hershey Park this past weekend and was thrilled to see automatic hand sanitzers installed at all the rides. It'd be neat if Disney followed suit.

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #75
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanu57v View Post
I was at Hershey Park this past weekend and was thrilled to see automatic hand sanitzers installed at all the rides. It'd be neat if Disney followed suit.
I agree but the flus are airborne. Hand sanitizer won't stop it from spreading.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: