Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #31
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the thoughts everyone.

We would be driving, not flying.

There is no rescheduling. The room is a gift, part of a package and we took the cruise half last year. We had to book the room or else it would expire, and then we got pregnant after booking. It is a non-refundable, non-reschedule.

Out Ped knows about the plan, she frowned but did not say no.

We would be keeping DD held close and nobody else would be touching her. We only plan to spend 2 days in the parks, and only a few hours each time. Not a ride the rides trip, its a experience Disney Christmas trip. DD3 does not know about it yet in case we don't go.

Other things to consider, I had brain surgery this year, so it has been a tough year and it would be nice to end it on an up note. There is one of the last shuttle launches scheduled for that week. It would be nice to see that bit of history before they go away.

We may wait and see the swine flu threat the week before and then make a decision.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #32
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Have you seen the bazillion threads about families coming back sick from WDW? Even if nobody touches the baby your clothing will touch other things. People sneeze, people cough etc. Your ped frowned so that should tell you something. I am sorry you had such a rough year but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I seriously wouldn't do it....A 6 week old does not have a fully functioniong immune system..Not to mention that FLU is Droplet transmission not only contact.Meaning your baby doesn't even have to have someone touch her to get it.Just a sneeze or cough of an infected person near her is enough.IF she gets sick you are looking at a hospitaliztion for her...Not worth it.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #34
mickeytattoo95
Mouseketeer

I had a conference at the CSR in Disney World 5 weeks after delivery. My husband and I both work for the same company and he had to attend the conference while I ran the event. We had no choice but to take our newborn along with the grandparents. The baby was with the grandparents during the meeting times and we went to the parks 2 days from 2-10pm. I was exhausted, but we had a lot of extra adult help. Somebody was "wearing" the baby at all times. I nursed exclusively and the pediatrician said that gives them the best immunities.

Nobody can make the decision for you. Just take precautions. Being outdoors harbors less bacteria, so maybe take advantage of the parent swap fast pass so the baby is never in a crowded or closed in setting.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Disney loon since my honeymoon!
mickeytattoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #35
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeytattoo95 View Post
I had a conference at the CSR in Disney World 5 weeks after delivery. My husband and I both work for the same company and he had to attend the conference while I ran the event. We had no choice but to take our newborn along with the grandparents. The baby was with the grandparents during the meeting times and we went to the parks 2 days from 2-10pm. I was exhausted, but we had a lot of extra adult help. Somebody was "wearing" the baby at all times. I nursed exclusively and the pediatrician said that gives them the best immunities.

Nobody can make the decision for you. Just take precautions. Being outdoors harbors less bacteria, so maybe take advantage of the parent swap fast pass so the baby is never in a crowded or closed in setting.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Yes BUT was this in the middle of a "pandemic" of a flu that no one under 50 has any immunity to? As I said before I am so far from a germaphobe it isn't funny BUT this is an entirely different set of circumstances and seems IMO irresponsible to me to take an infant into a dangerous situation just because we want to not because we Need to.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #36
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

If it were me, I'd probably go too. To be extra safe, I'd make sure I was nursing so baby gets your immunities, and of course get the vax myself. Have fun!

Me DH DD15 DD9 DD5
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #37
sparklynails23
DIS Veteran

I flew to Disney a few weeks ago and didn't catch anything, but my son at home was sick and had to stay home from school for three days. I would just use lots of hand sanitizer and avoid people who are coughing. Have fun and take it easy.
sparklynails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #38
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Swine is not hitting adults like it is kids. We had 2 small children who were otherwise healthy DIE of it in our ICU last week.I am sorry if that sounds scary, but unlike seasonal flu this one seems to really hit the youngest very hard.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #39
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Good docs will tell you the opposite - they need to be protected at that age as little things like colds/flu, can and do turn deadly. You should not be bringing them into airplanes, crowded shopping malls, etc. at that age.
There's no consensus either way, so I think it is a bit much to say that any good doc will say to shelter the baby. My ped is an excellent doctor who believes that there's not reason to sequester an otherwise healthy newborn away from the world to protect against germs.

I think whether or not to go depends on a number of things - the pace of the trip, the travel arrangements, how Mom is feeling, how the baby will be carted around, etc. It could probably be done safely, driving rather than flying, cleaning the room upon arrival, carrying baby in a sling to keep him sheltered, taking it easy, and making ample use of hand sanitizers between frequent hand washings, but personally I wouldn't want to take that trip. It would be a lot of hassle and not a lot of fun IMO.

OP, have you been vaccinated? Are you nursing? Those things would make a difference if it were me, because if you're vaccinated and breastfeeding, the baby will benefit somewhat from your immunities.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #40
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

I can see not wanting to lose this package, BUT, nothing is more important than your family's health

Just reading the boards you see how many people are coming home sick and have taken all the precautions.

All it takes is standing at the gate waiting to get in and have someone next to you sneeze. That can be all it takes

It is your decision, just don't let money be your deciding factor. If you could cancel or reschedule, would you?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
There's no consensus either way, so I think it is a bit much to say that any good doc will say to shelter the baby. My ped is an excellent doctor who believes that there's not reason to sequester an otherwise healthy newborn away from the world to protect against germs.

I think whether or not to go depends on a number of things - the pace of the trip, the travel arrangements, how Mom is feeling, how the baby will be carted around, etc. It could probably be done safely, driving rather than flying, cleaning the room upon arrival, carrying baby in a sling to keep him sheltered, taking it easy, and making ample use of hand sanitizers between frequent hand washings, but personally I wouldn't want to take that trip. It would be a lot of hassle and not a lot of fun IMO.

OP, have you been vaccinated? Are you nursing? Those things would make a difference if it were me, because if you're vaccinated and breastfeeding, the baby will benefit somewhat from your immunities.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...what's considered 'healthy' in a newborn? They don't have fully functioning immune systems, so minimizing risks is absolutely prudent. In most cases, there is no need to take a newborn into crowded places. Most docs I know, say to shelter newborns for the first 6-8 weeks, especially during cold/flu season. For my friends who didn't listen, their babies acquired RSV and bronchitis, amongst other illnesses. I'm sorry, but running to Target or visiting Disney is just not worth that.

As mentioned a million times on these boards, many germs are passed through the air. So, wearing the baby or breastfeeding (BTDT on both counts) will not do a heck of a lot of good if you walk through someone's droplets from their sneeze or cough that contain H1N1. No amount of hand washing, sanitizer or snuggling the baby to your body is going to help the airborne stuff. Many people seem to be forgetting that - everyone is so obsessed with sanitizers, but so many things are passed through the air that you can't see. Carrying a newborn through that mess would not be good - I don't need to grocery shop, attend church or visit Disney World that badly that it can't wait until the baby is older with a much stronger immune system.

As many others have said, a newborn's sensitive immune system can overreact from the common cold, let alone H1N1. During this new flu virus season, extra vigilance and prudence is absolutely essential, IMHO.

I wish the OP and her babe good health, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 11-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #42
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

OKay- I have to say this.
Why on earth is it so important to go to WDW that anyone would risk their child's health?! The baby is 6 weeks old! I know you can't keep them in a bubble but between the regular flu and the swine flu hitting so hard why on earth would you bring your child to the busiest place on earth with people from all over the world? I could go to a mall and not even encounter a quarter of the people you will encounter at WDW so it's not like I am saying not go out but why wouldn't you minimize the risk? There are umpteen threads about whole families getting H1N1 at WDW. Some of these families even had the first vaccine shot of H1N1 and the kids still got sick. Is it really worth it? Yes, you get immunities from breastfeeding (I BF all my kids) but that does not make them invincible.
Sorry, but everytime I see threads like this I simply cannot believe anyone would risk it especially this year.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #43
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
OKay- I have to say this.
Why on earth is it so important to go to WDW that anyone would risk their child's health?! The baby is 6 weeks old! I know you can't keep them in a bubble but between the regular flu and the swine flu hitting so hard why on earth would you bring your child to the busiest place on earth with people from all over the world? I could go to a mall and not even encounter a quarter of the people you will encounter at WDW so it's not like I am saying not go out but why wouldn't you minimize the risk? There are umpteen threads about whole families getting H1N1 at WDW. Some of these families even had the first vaccine shot of H1N1 and the kids still got sick. Is it really worth it? Yes, you get immunities from breastfeeding (I BF all my kids) but that does not make them invincible.
Sorry, but everytime I see threads like this I simply cannot believe anyone would risk it especially this year.
I have to agree with you 100% on this - especially this year.. It's just not worth the risk..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #44
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I am not a germaphobe and we've already had H1N1 in our house (or, at least we're pretty sure that's what it was.)

It ripped through our school in October, with over 1/3 of the kids being out on some days. (There was talk of closing the school, but they never did.) We caught it on the "early side" and my kids were over it by Halloween. However, a lot of other kids were sick.

I was *shocked* by how many parents sent their kids out for trick-or-treat with the flu. I even asked some of them about it (since I know their kids had been out of school) and heard answers like, "Well, Johnny was *so* excited about trick-or-treat, we didn't want him to miss it." What?!?!

So, if parents were doing that (and it wasn't just one or two), I have *no doubt* that parents at WDW would pump little Johnny full of ibuprofin and head to the magic kingdom. "Because Johnny was so excited about it..." or "because we've spent so much money..." or whatever.

I am sure that happens all year long, but with the sheer numbers of people who are getting sick this year (Last report I saw estimated 22 million? I think that's low.) I think your chances of having a sick kid coughing on you in line -- or from the next table in the restaurant, or on the monorail -- is higher than normal. WDW is not really a place where you can stay away from others, unless you don't plan to leave your room.

It would stink to miss out on those free days, but I don't think I'd chance it. I know you said rescheduling is not possible, but could you *try?* Maybe you could move the trip *up* by a few months, before baby arrives.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #45
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

People keep talking about the baby having the Mom's immunity BUT folks for this flu if the MOm is under 50 she has NO immunity to this flu to pass on to the child!!! This is why this flu is hitting the kids and young people so hard and why it is so deadly and debilitating to kids and especially babies!

No one under 50s immunity system has ever seen this flu and has had no chance to learn how to fight it or build up any antibodies to it.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: