Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #16
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidustmom View Post
I just wanted to say, I had a baby 2 weeks ago. I was a surrogate and so the parents needed to fly home with their baby across country. The peds said it was fine and to just try and keep your hands clean. They made it home safe and sound and he was only 4 days old.
We have never been the type to stay home with a baby. I was told by my my peds doctor many years ago with my DD's that keeping them away from the germs will not help them build up their immune system. I believe this to be true as my girls were not as sick as those I knew who kept their children locked up and away from it all. Again my opinion take it as you wish.
If you do go just keep a blanket over your baby and make sure to wash up. Did you happen to get the vaccine when you were preg? If so the baby would have some immunities from it? Are you nursing? This helps too.
My family has been immunized and I am glad. I now feel safer to take my grandson.
Normally I would agree with you. I do not over protect my kids. I don't even have any of the hand stuff that people are practically bathing in now and my kids have crawled on hotel floors and chewed on the remote at hotels.
BUT and this is an important BUT this is not usual circumstances!!!
This is a flu that again no one under the age of 50 has been exposed to. So gazillions of young people are getting it and this flu also seems to hit the respiratory system if there are going to be secondary problems and hit it hard. THis is not something a 6 week old body is prepared to fight.

You will do what you are going to do but if you go and it gets sick are you prepared to be in a strange city/hospital with a 6 week old seriously ill ?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Bamboozled
Earning My Ears

Add me to the list of those that would cancel. I just rescheduled our trip, we were supposed to leave tomorrow!! I did not want to risk getting H1N1. I am high risk and so is my grandson. I can better control my exposure at home than at WDW where you have people from all over the world visiting. Better safe than sorry.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
ChristusG
DIS Veteran

We just got back from Disney on Friday afternoon.....DD5 became sick on Monday. I dont know if it came from Disney or not, but we didn't really go anywhere on Saturday or Sunday, so I'm leaning towards thinking it DID come from Disney. Now DD2 is also sick and I'm not feeling well either.

I do not know if it is H1N1 because our doctor is not testing for it.....but DD5 had a fever of 104 and cold symptoms. DD2 had 102 last night with cold symptoms as well. I have some cold symptoms and body aches, and just a general icky feeling.

I would be scared to death if my 6 week old caught something. I am NOT one to stay home with my babies after they are born. With DD2 we were having dinner at a restaurant about 24 hours after she was born, as soon as I got out of the hospital. I do not stay home.....but as far as Disney, not only is it the Happiest Place on Earth, it's also the Germiest Place on Earth. Our past two vacations we have come home with something icky.

Been to Disney more than 30 times....now enjoying sharing the magic with my girls. Love camping at Fort Wilderness in our pop up camper!
ChristusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Mom2MCJP
Earning My Ears

We are heading down there on 11/21. I have 4 kids and my youngest will be 11 weeks when we arrive.
I spoke to my pediatrician and he said that there is no greater risk than going to the mall on any given day.

Now...I won't be walking around handing my baby off to everyone and their brother to hold either!

But honestly...this H1N1 is not going to stop us from living our lives!
Mom2MCJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MCJP View Post
I spoke to my pediatrician and he said that there is no greater risk than going to the mall on any given day.
I just don't think that's true. At DW, you are exposed to SO many more people and people from different places, who potentially have been exposed to different things that you've been in your own "home" area. There are a lot more kids - who we all know are little vectors for all sorts of stuff!

Also as someone mentioned, people don't want to cancel they're expensive vacations when they're sick or their kids are sick...they go anyway.

Just my 2 cents. I'd say an 11 week old is better than a 6 week old, because hopefully he/she has had a round of vacc's at least, and either way, its good they aren't mobile and getting into everything yet, but to me, it's still risky.
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
ajpa
DIS Veteran

I remember when my babies were 6 weeks old -- I don't think I would feel up to the energy required to tackle WDW.

I don't think we would have considered flying them anywhere at that age either.
If it were me I would reschedule wdw to when the baby was a wee bit older, sleeping though most of the night, and just taking one nap a day. Preferably not during any kind of flu season either.
2007 Jan - Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Oct - All Star Music
ajpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
jaleaton
I walked into a Target bathroom and it smelled like Disney World!

Do what feels right for you. Another thing to consider is mom's health. Is mom feeling ok, and will she be able to walk around the parks 6 weeks after delivery?

Me, DH, our baby (who was 3 months), and two of our friends went last month, and we were all fine, and came home just as healthy. None of us got sick, and none of us had received a normal flu shot, or an H1N1 shot. I carried my baby around in her Peanut Shell carrier (which she loved, and it also helped protect her from the sun/breezes or people touching her, and people that may have been sneezing around us).

Again, just do what feels right for you, and ask your pediatrician their opinion too, as they are probably more qualified than any of us non doctors.
June 2006:Engaged at WDW, July 2007:Honeymoon at CBR, Oct. 2008:POFQ & 1st MNSSHP, Jan. 2009:OKW & VWL w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy, Oct. 2009: 1st Trip as DVC Members @ BLT w/ Kayla87 & TKTommy (Isabelle's 1st Trip), June 2010: AKL , May 2011: BLT, June 2011: OKW,November 2012: BLT (Juliet's 1st Trip) October 2013: BLT, January 2014: AKL,May 2014: Boardwalk,
jaleaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

It is the same threat as anywhere else right now...In fact with all the people probably packed in from all areas of the world, I would say higher risk than average.Flying is also very high risk.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
saraheliz
Mouseketeer

i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...
saraheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
AmyBWV99
It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while you get tan.

I'd call your peds office, we took our kids that age and younger.

I'm concerned about H1N1 with our 2 year old asthmatic but it's not keeping us home. Due to the shortage of the shot he'll only have 1 dose before we leave, he may get the 2nd right before but he won't be fully immune until we return home.

I figure with the holidays coming up you're probably not at any greater risk then being around everyone else, maybe more risk those are the people going to touch your baby I never had anyone try to touch our babies in WDW.

Even when we took our 2 weeker to WDW our ped said he's more likely to get something at home from the then 2.5 year old dragging it home from preschool than being carried around WDW.
92,93,94,95,96,97,98/April, July & Oct 99/May & Dec 00/Feb & May 01/Jan & Mar 02/Mar 03/Mar, May-June & July 04/July 05/Mar, July, Oct & Christmas-New Years 06-07/Oct 07/Mar, July & Oct 08 RFTT/Mar Gasparilla Marathon & 5k, Dec 09/Feb-Mar & Oct 10/Mar 11/Sept 12/Dec 13-Jan 14/May & Oct 14
Disneyland 76/Nov 99/ Nov 04
Magic July 99/Wonder May 01

AmyBWV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraheliz View Post
i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...

I remember when I had my oldest dd, my ped telling me that exact scenario. He said 'IF a newborn has a fever, it means a spinal tap at the very least." He recommended that I stay away from crowded places (malls, church) for the first 8 weeks.

Pixidustmom, wow on being a surrogate. I think that is wonderful!!

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #27
Nanu57v
Someone needs to tell the Tag Fairy to consult with me about spelling
Has her priorities in the right place

We are going with a 5 month old next month...still going--I'm more worried about us getting sick BEFORE the trip and having the cancel. H1N1 is going around DD's preschool and all I can find is the mist and because she had an asthma attack 2 weeks ago she can't get the mist.

Me DH DD7 DD2
Nanu57v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

My parents were going to go to DL for Halloween back when my son was 4 weeks old. I wanted to go with them...mainly for my sister to see her newphew. I talked to my doctor about it and he advised against it, not only for baby (because of the flight and close proximity of others to my child) but also for me as I had an emergency c-section. However, he did say in the end it was my choice. This was 2 years ago though. We ended up not going because I had some minor pain still from my section.

Today, if given the same option, I'd def not take him. It's just too young and not a risk worth taking during the flu season (regardless of the type of flu).

Talk to your doc...and decide after that.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
DVC Sadie
Those mashed taters are sounding good about now
The more they are washed the softer they get

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

Just my personal opinion though..
I agree with you.

There is no way I would take a child to WDW right now and I have already rescheduled my trip.
DVC Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
DCbride
DIS Veteran

I took my DD at 8 weeks to Cedar Point and then to the Outer Banks in a 2 week trip from NJ- so I am not usually protective of germs. (trips were in August)

We were in Disney last week from Thur to Mon. On Tuesday DD age 2, began a fever. I took her this morning to Peds and they said it was just a 3 to 5 day virus. I was very very careful about wiping her hands with antibactorial wipes hourly, cleaning table tops, etc. But she still picked up something. But I am sure there are tens of thousands of kids who were there last week who didn't pick up any virus.

If you were to go, with a baby that little I would definitely try to 'wear" the baby as much as possible and keep her close. If flying, I doubt you are buying a seat for your child and both flights our plane was full- it is hard to get away from the person in the seat next to you for a few hours....

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop/Omni, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: