Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Disney and the swine flu

We are planning to go to Disney the week after thanksgiving. We will have a 6 week old.

What is the swine flu threat at DW? Should we cancel our trip?
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

Just my personal opinion though..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

What does your pediatrician say?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

Just my personal opinion though..
I'm with you C.Ann but be ready for the flaming, I got burned a lot last thread for saying so.
I do think it is even more important with a flu going around that no one under 50 has any immunity to. I can't stress that enough that no one under 50 has any in born or acquired immunity to this flu so I would not be taking any infant that young into a mass of people.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
la79al
DIS Veteran

I personally didn't even leave my house until my DD was older than 6 weeks. But I know that's a little strange. Are you driving or flying? I would say definitely cancel if you are flying. If you are driving though, I would probably still go and just take extra precautions. Obviously at 6 weeks DC is not going to be touching everything and then sticking their fingers in their mouth so that helps. Keep in mind though that even if you keep the baby in a plastic bubble, one of the adults could just as easily get sick and pass it along to the baby.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

I know 2 families who have gone in the past couple of months, and they all came home sick! I think you're exposed to a lot of people, crowded places, lots of kids, and especially during flu season, I personally wouldn't take a 6 week old to Disney World.
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran

My mother and DD7 were just in FL from Wed-Mon and by Thur my daughter was already sick...I was suppose to go with them and bring my 13 month old but with all the swine flu and other issues we decided against him and I going.thank godwe didn't go because my mother now has a case of it..Again just my personal opinion but I wouldn't even think of taking a baby that young. When my DS was that age I hardly ever took him out of the house unless absolutely necessary, again just my opinion though..Good Luck with whatever you decide
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
tartemis
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't take a 6 week old. But . . . I am taking a 6 month old in February. I'm a little nervous about it, but I'm nursing exclusively, have had the H1N1 vaccine and my DD2 and DH will have had the H1N1 vaccine by then so I feel better about it. Plus, I think by February everyone in the country will have already had it, so it won't be floating around as much.
tartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
livndisney
DIS Veteran

I don't think I would want to fly with a baby that young. People are flying with H1n1 virus. Is it possible to postpone the trip until the baby is a little older?
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Newcastle
Mouseketeer

The last couple of times we visited WDW, my daughter had to see a doctor because she became ill. The doctors told us on both occasions that WDW is a hotbead for germ activity, for obvious reasons such as number of people, proximity to same, concentration of children, etc. Another factor is that when people get sick at WDW, they don't tend to "quarantine" (for lack of a better word) themselves for as long as they would if they were at home because they don't want to miss valuable vacation time (and similarly waste vacation dollars!). Thus, you have a lot of relatively acutely ill people wandering around the parks. It's funny because the doctors said that there really isn't a slow time for illnesses at WDW. Still hasn't stopped us from going even despite the fact that I am slightly phobic of becoming ill while on vacation!!

Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
pixidustmom
Dreaming of the World

I just wanted to say, I had a baby 2 weeks ago. I was a surrogate and so the parents needed to fly home with their baby across country. The peds said it was fine and to just try and keep your hands clean. They made it home safe and sound and he was only 4 days old.
We have never been the type to stay home with a baby. I was told by my my peds doctor many years ago with my DD's that keeping them away from the germs will not help them build up their immune system. I believe this to be true as my girls were not as sick as those I knew who kept their children locked up and away from it all. Again my opinion take it as you wish.
If you do go just keep a blanket over your baby and make sure to wash up. Did you happen to get the vaccine when you were preg? If so the baby would have some immunities from it? Are you nursing? This helps too.
My family has been immunized and I am glad. I now feel safer to take my grandson.

Come check out my pre trip report.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3254412
POFQ 1996POR 2006 and 2009 Going to POP 2014 Disneyland too many to count
pixidustmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
happymommy
DIS Veteran

My kids are 10 and 12, and we had considered (and booked) a trip for next month. We were going to stay at the GF, and I was excited to see the decor and stuff.

I cancelled. My kids have already been sick so many times, DD had the swine flu and missed an entire week of school.

We've had one trip during which both kids got sick and needed a doctor to come to the room - he had an ear infection and she had strep throat - just a few years ago. It was an unusual trip, first time that happened.

It's really up to you, but we decided to travel anywhere this winter isn't worth it to us. DS has asthma, and I'd hate for him to end up with pneumonia as he's done a few times.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #13
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

I would never take a baby that young at any time of the year, but during cold/flu season, and with this year being a particularly busy one, absolutely not! This is the worst time of year to go due to busy crowds, cold weather people bringing viruses to WDW, and H1N1.

I really get tired of reading people say that people shoudn't keep their newborns inside as it won't build immunity. Good docs will tell you the opposite - they need to be protected at that age as little things like colds/flu, can and do turn deadly. You should not be bringing them into airplanes, crowded shopping malls, etc. at that age. If there is an emergency, then that may be a different story (eg. flying to a funeral). Our ped and family doc say that little things help to build immunity and are important, but taking a newborn to one of the most crowded places on earth, is not the answer, as there will be major serious things floating around, and those things can be very dangerous for newborns. Those won't build immunity, but in fact, harm their immunity. BTDT with babes with pneumonia in the hospital, and it takes a serious toll on their immune systems, as well as takes months for their immune systems to get back to normal.

I wish the OP good luck in his/her decision and a healthy trip if he/she goes, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran

We took both our kids for the first time when they were 4 months. My oldest went in Feb and my Youngest in October. They were very isolated from crowds as well really didn't go on many rides..and they slept in their stroller. They were a dream to take care at that age. I'm usually an advocate for taking the baby with you...but....

6 weeks is really young.. They just don't have the immunity yet.. Granted my babies were both born at 37 weeks so they would really only be 3 weeks at that point..and probably weighed all of 10 lbs....

I'm not so much worried about WDW as I am of the plane..all that germy circulated air.

oh just to add, they really haven't had any of their immunizations at that point either..and with the increase of people choosing not to vaccinate or delay vaccinations..your odds are more likely to run into that at a place like Disney more than your local supermarket.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

We came home from Disney with H1N1. I would not be taking a baby that young at this time in my opinion. You asked, that is my opinion about it.
The Disney magic will wait for you!

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: