Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

OT--Mother caught Swine Flu

This is for those who have had the H1N1 virus or who know someone who has:

So my mother and my daughter went to FL November 4th, already on the 5th my daughter was very sick..To make a long story short my mother and daughter weren't suppose to come home until the 14th but we booked them on Monday's last flight of the day..My mother has been very ill and went to the doctor yesterday and today it was confirmed she does in fact have the H1N1 virus..For all we know my daughter could have had it too but when she was tested at the doctor yesterday for influenza A it came back negative..

Now my main concern is I have a DS(14 months old) at home, whom I've been keeping away from my mother and my daughter..No one in the area has any of the vaccine available...Now my concern is how to prevent my Son from catching this? We have been keeping him away from them, but we all live in the same household..we have also been wiping things down like crazy with disinfectant and washing our hands A LOT..I know he's at high risk if he gets it but i want to do what i can to prevent it..My step father and I are the only ones who have been in the 2 rooms where my daughter and mother are sleeping, so I've been exposed more than anyone (trying to make everyone else better and take care of them)..I am not worried about catching it, if i do I do..I know I have a better chance of fighting it then my DS does..

And here I was the one not concerned about anyone in our family getting it..And I was even in Mexico back in April when the first cases were appearing here..Any advice from those who have gone through this would be greatly appreciated..I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything..TIA!

BTW: We have no idea how they could have gotten it since no one in this area has it, my mother is laid off right now and no one at my daughter's school has had it..We think my mother MIGHT(i stress the word MIGHT) have caught it on the plane, since we don't know for sure if my daughter had it..And I did ask the doctor about this and they said it could be possible since it takes only about 2 days for symptoms to show up and that's about how long it was for my mother to get actively sick..
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Jajone
DIS Veteran
 
Jajone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 931

Where in WI are you because I work in healthcare in Green Bay and it is being reported all over WI. Could have been that trip to Walmart, lady behind you in church, at the bank, etc. Good handwashing is the best remedy. Masking them is another option, but likely you are all exposed already.
Jajone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajone View Post
Where in WI are you because I work in healthcare in Green Bay and it is being reported all over WI. Could have been that trip to Walmart, lady behind you in church, at the bank, etc. Good handwashing is the best remedy. Masking them is another option, but likely you are all exposed already.
I sent u a PM with that info..
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Jajone
DIS Veteran
 
Jajone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 931

sorry, pm box was full, I cleaned it out now.
Jajone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

ok resent it
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
CJ's Mommy
Mouseketeer
 
CJ's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpebbles View Post
To make a long story short my mother and daughter weren't suppose to come home until the 14th but we booked them on Monday's last flight of the day..My mother has been very ill and went to the doctor yesterday and today it was confirmed she does in fact have the H1N1 virus.
While I feel sorry for your mom and daughter, I have to say that it would really stink to have been on that flight with her! I can't imagine how many people may have picked up H1N1 on that flight.

All I can say about keeping your other child healthy, is wash hands and keep them apart as much as possible. Good luck!
__________________
Me (28) DH (34)
DS (5) DS (1)
CJ's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ's Mommy View Post
While I feel sorry for your mom and daughter, I have to say that it would really stink to have been on that flight with her! I can't imagine how many people may have picked up H1N1 on that flight.

All I can say about keeping your other child healthy, is wash hands and keep them apart as much as possible. Good luck!
There were other ppl on the flight sick as well..We didn't know she had H1N1..we just knew she wasn't feeling well so we got them home ASAP, once their fevers had dropped..They did wear a mask on the flight to help prevent it so I too hope no one got sick but she is not fully to blame if other ppl did
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpebbles View Post
There were other ppl on the flight sick as well..We didn't know she had H1N1..we just knew she wasn't feeling well so we got them home ASAP, once their fevers had dropped..They did wear a mask on the flight to help prevent it so I too hope no one got sick but she is not fully to blame if other ppl did
I am confused. Your mom got on the plane sick? Or she got sick after she got back to Wi?
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
I am confused. Your mom got on the plane sick? Or she got sick after she got back to Wi?
My mom wasn't feeling the best when she got on the plane(don't flame me for this, it was HER choice, not mine) and since she got back to WI she's gotten worse and worse..
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
r4blessings
DIS Veteran
 
r4blessings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 637

I have been stressing big-time about my kids getting swine flu b/c ds8 has asthma. Couldn't get the vaccine around here, although they did get the regular flu shot. And we had swine flu throughout our community, DH's school where he teaches and our elementary school.

So, on Sunday am my ds8 woke up with a high fever and crying. Rushed him to the ped who said it was swine flu and started him on tamiflu. By the time I got home ds11 woke up late with similar symptoms. Brought him to the ped on Monday morning and she said the same thing...swine flu. They are doing ok, not too terrible and so far no complications (thank god) from ds's asthma.

Now, dd5 and ds4 are healthy as a horse! I've been careful to keep them apart, sterilizing things, cleaning like crazy, the whole thing. So far, nothing! Of course I feel tired and run-down but no symptoms and DH is totally fine. All three of my boys share a big bedroom, but ds11 and ds8 like seem to always wind up in the same bunk bed..! So maybe that is why they both wound up sick?

So, there is hope that you can keep your baby healthy. And if he shows signs of not feeling well, get him into the dr right away.

And although no one wants to go out and intentionally infect others with swine flu, I think it was the best thing for your mother to come home with your dd. The last thing any of you wanted was a sick grandmother trying to take care of a sick child away from home, parents and help. What if your mother needed emergency care? Your daughter would have been all alone and terrified! They wore masks on the plane...no one could ask for anything more. Good luck!
__________________
Jennifer DH DS12 DS9 DD6 DS5

Headed to CBR in August 2010
r4blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
sbpebbles
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4blessings View Post
I have been stressing big-time about my kids getting swine flu b/c ds8 has asthma. Couldn't get the vaccine around here, although they did get the regular flu shot. And we had swine flu throughout our community, DH's school where he teaches and our elementary school.

So, on Sunday am my ds8 woke up with a high fever and crying. Rushed him to the ped who said it was swine flu and started him on tamiflu. By the time I got home ds11 woke up late with similar symptoms. Brought him to the ped on Monday morning and she said the same thing...swine flu. They are doing ok, not too terrible and so far no complications (thank god) from ds's asthma.

Now, dd5 and ds4 are healthy as a horse! I've been careful to keep them apart, sterilizing things, cleaning like crazy, the whole thing. So far, nothing! Of course I feel tired and run-down but no symptoms and DH is totally fine. All three of my boys share a big bedroom, but ds11 and ds8 like seem to always wind up in the same bunk bed..! So maybe that is why they both wound up sick?

So, there is hope that you can keep your baby healthy. And if he shows signs of not feeling well, get him into the dr right away.

And although no one wants to go out and intentionally infect others with swine flu, I think it was the best thing for your mother to come home with your dd. The last thing any of you wanted was a sick grandmother trying to take care of a sick child away from home, parents and help. What if your mother needed emergency care? Your daughter would have been all alone and terrified! They wore masks on the plane...no one could ask for anything more. Good luck!
Thank you for your response..I have been watching DS very closely..he's got a lil cough but I think that's from our weather..DD too has severe asthma so if she caught it while down in FL we could have had a HUGE problem so thank you for the support..
sbpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpebbles View Post
My mom wasn't feeling the best when she got on the plane(don't flame me for this, it was HER choice, not mine) and since she got back to WI she's gotten worse and worse..


As far as how you can keep the rest of your family healthy-here is what is recommended by the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance_homecare.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
r4blessings
DIS Veteran
 
r4blessings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 637

your welcome.
__________________
Jennifer DH DS12 DS9 DD6 DS5

Headed to CBR in August 2010
r4blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 34,887

I hope your mom and your DD feel better soon..

As for coming home on the plane, in this case I don't see where there was much choice.. She was far away from home - the only adult with your child - and very sick.. It's not like she could have stayed there indefinitely - and what would have happened to your child if your mom was hospitalized? Tough call, but I'm sure there are many, many people flying right now that are sick - especially the ones who keep saying, "It's no big deal.. It's only the flu and I'm not going to throw away all the money I paid to go to WDW.."

Good luck - and stay well..
__________________
C.Ann
-----------------
"Maturity begins when we're content to be right about something without finding it necessary to prove that someone else is wrong.." ~ Author Unknown
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."


"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
amamax2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 856

My son had the swine flu, and no one else in our family got it! So there is a possibility no one else in your family will get it.

His symptoms started on a Friday night - he had been fine, and suddenly at dinner starting coughing like crazy - no other symptoms. He was coughing so much by the time it was bedtime, we put in in my bed with me, kicked my husband out to the guest bedroom, and had my other son just stay in his room (they share a room normally and this is our normal one-of-the-kids-is-sick routine).

He proceeded to get sicker over the course of the next few days and I took him to the dr on Tues a.m. - they cultured it and it came back positive, but it was too late for Tamiflu. The dr said to watch if any one else showed symptoms - to bring them in right away for Tamiflu.

So I was in bed with him - while he had a very high fever, cough like I have never heard before, and the nose running like a hose had been turned on full blast - for nearly two weeks. He coughed on me, laid on me, etc. And I never got it, nor did his dad or brother.

All I could do to try to minimize the spread of germs was keep the windows open as much as possible, keep him in the one room only, sprayed lysol in the air a few times, washed my hands a TON, changed his towels and pjs every day, and just kept everyone else away. Again, just our normal protocol for a sick child, but it usually works. I did ask the dr if I should expect us all to get it and he said no! I thought it was highly contagious, but he said in places like schools where kids are sharing food, desks, etc, it is, but if the sick person is good about covering when they sneeze or cough, washing hands, and keeping away, it isn't any more contagious than any other illness.

One thing I do want to emphasize: keep your baby and others away form the sick ones for at least TWO weeks. I know seveal people and have read much antedoctal stories of siblings getting the swine flu two weeks after, even when the illness lasted only a few days. The medical community doesn't really know what the incubation period is - I have read anywhere from one to seven days, but like I said, know several who got it two weeks after exposure.

Good luck!
amamax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOT Another Swine Flu Thread..... kimmar067 Community Board 2702 06-26-2012 01:20 PM
Swine Flu Vaccine? oceanscape UK Community Board 66 11-23-2009 04:41 PM
Disney Parks to Wipe Hands Clean of Guests in Response to Flu Concerns KyleRayner Disney Rumors and News 4 11-15-2009 05:26 PM
................................... C.Ann Community Board 13 11-10-2009 06:19 PM
worry about swine taking the fun out of planning ... slg Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board 5 11-09-2009 06:37 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.