Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

National Lampoon's February Quest For Fun!!~ LIVE UPDATE 2/9 post 852

The following is a quote "based on" one of my favorite movies...it is also edited for content....

"This is not a vacation . . . it's a QUEST! IT'S A QUEST FOR FUN! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much darn fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your behinds!..... I've got to be crazy! I'm on a pilgrimage to see a mouse! Praise Mickey Mouse!"

~Clark W. Griswold~

One of the reasons I find the above movie quote so darn funny is because it is so very close to what our family vacations were like when I was a kid. The way my dad behaved on vacation is scarily close to Clark W. Griswold himself. I remember driving to Walt Disney World for my very first trip ever when I was in the 4th grade. Clark was right. It was not a vacation. It was a quest for fun!! Back then there was no such thing as ADR's. There wasn't even a time when we made hotel reservations!! We got in the car at 5am and we drove to Florida. When it started to get dark we'd pull into whatever town we were next to and start going to hotels one by one to see who had vacancies. This didn't always lead to the greatest of places to stay but one thing is for sure, we always met interesting people.

I remember one trip in particular where we drove from Louisiana to Colorado to visit family up by Denver. Remember, this is my dad so we didn't just shoot up diagonally to Denver. He wanted us to "see the land" and stuff. So we drove half way across the United States.....uh, I mean we drove across the state of Texas because my dad wanted us to see the "nothing" in El Paso. We were on our way to New Mexico to see Carlsbad Caverns. Somewhere around San Antonio or so, he decided to skip El Paso and just go to Carlsbad. Thank goodness!!!! Because I'll tell ya, the desert was not kind. I swear there were times we may have run off the road, which I firmly believe has contributed to me never ever being able to fall asleep in a vehicle again. I also became a "woman" while driving through that desert which lead us to have to pull over at a "town" with a sign that said population 0.007. It was a small store/gas station/mechanic garage/someone's house all rolled into one. My dad was actually mad at me that God decided it was time for me to recieve the gift of woman-hood. If you've seen the movie National Lampoon's Vacation, then you are laughing your butt off right about now....and yes, my younger sister almost "stabbed her brain" at one point. Eventually....2-3 days later we made it to our destination in Colorado. This crazy "vacation" was the longest we had ever taken before and there has never been another one that long since. I think we were gone for over 2 weeks! Here is a couple of pictures of us coming into New Mexico. While taking the first picture by the "welcome" sign, I believe it was my dad who discovered that on the other side of the sign, it said that you were now leaving New Mexico. He had the idea to take the last photo of us being "tired" because we were "on the way home". (see what I mean about my dad?)

Finally at Carlsbad Caverns we had to do the typical photo with the Ranger....

Somewhere in New Mexico......
"'Clark'!!! If we back up anymore we will fall off the cliff!!"

So my friends, new and old, I welcome you to my new Pre Trip Report!! Hi, I'm Cherie! I'm an OCD Disney Vacation Planner. I truly believe that my planning obsession is directly related to my insanely crazy, fly by the seat of your pants, childhood vacations. I'm so obsessed with planning our Disney trips that I am now a part time travel planner on the side of being a stay at home mom. I'm 36 years old and I've been married to my DH for 15...almost 16 years. We have one son who is 5 and in Kindergarten. I am room mother for his class this year and I'm loving every crazy minute of that. (again...the planner obsession!)

Up next I will introduce the cast and explain what makes THIS TRIP so special!

__________________________________________________ ________
CHAPTER LINKS:

CAST INTRO

OFF TO RIDE THE POLAR EXPRESS

A RIDE ON THE POLAR EXPRESS!!

POLAR EXPRESS RIDE CONTINUED

TA-DA!! INTRODUCING THE NEW BINDER!!

A TRIP WITH FOOD ALLERGIES!

DATES, RESORTS, & DINING PLACES

DINING CHANGES & MEETS

LOUISIANA SNEAUX!!

A FEW PICS FROM PAST TRIPS

CUTE CHRISTMAS VIDEO

MERRY CHRISTMAS & PAST PICS PART II

PAST PIC'S PART II - CONTINUED

CHRISTMAS PART 2 & INTRODUCING THE COUNTDOWN CALENDAR!!

A GIFT FROM DVC, A NEW BAG, & PAST PICS PT. 3

CONTINUED FROM LAST POST

SHOPPING FOR DISNEY!! past pics pt. 4

PLANNING & TRAVEL ITEMS

30 DAYS LEFT- START THAT COUNTDOWN!!

SHOPPING & MORE PAST PICS

LETS CATCH UP PLUS PAST PICS

TWO WEEKS FROM NOW PLUS MORE PAST PICS

MORE PLANNING & PAST PICS

BLAST FROM THE PAST

A SEMI-LAME UPDATE

LAST FULL UPDATE!!

LIVE UPDATE!!!

Last edited by Blueyed Girl; 02-09-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Blueyed Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Been following you for a while now ( not in the creepy way )but this trip with all the Dis meets has all the potential of greatness.

Along for the ride.

Last edited by Poolrat; 11-11-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: I am first- finally getting some TR mojo
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Been following you for a while now ( not in the creepy way )but this trip with all the Dis meets has all the potential of greatness.

Along for the ride.
Glad it's not in the "creepy way".

Glad you are here and posting! Yes, this trip is going to be AWESOME!!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Oh Darn it I'm not first ,but at least I beat Winkers and Jordan!

Hmmm Part timeTrael Planner how does one apply for that!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Ohh, this is gonna be fun!!! I am so happy you decided to being a PTR now. Great start...love the old photos!

BTW ~ My dad was Navy (forever) and every time we were transferred we drove and stopped to see all the sites...we never booked a hotel in advance and had some pretty funny memories - but I'd not trade one of those memories for the world...crisscrossing across the US.

Anyhoo....I'm here for the long haul!!

LOL...Rosie you beat me!!! I was wondering when you'd be here!!

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 11-11-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typos and more typos
Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Oh Darn it I'm not first ,but at least I beat Winkers and Jordan!

Hmmm Part timeTrael Planner how does one apply for that!!!
Yes you did!!

I found a travel agency that would "hire" me and sent me to online classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Ohh, this is gonna be fun!!! I am so happy you decided to being a PTR now. Great start...love the old photos!

BTW ~ My dad was Navy (forever) and every time we were transferred we drove and stopped to see all the sites...we never booked a hotel in advance and had some pretty funny memories - but I'd not trade one of those memories for the world...crisscrossing across the US.

Anyhoo....I'm here for the long haul!!

LOL...Rosie you beat me!!! I was wondering when you'd be here!!
Glad you're here!!

Oh I would not trade our crazy trips for anything in the world either! Those were some fun times and great memories.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

hey, blue (as jordan calls you...i'm not sure of your real name! ) i'm here. gotta go back up and find out what those nifty flashback pictures were now.
punkin413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
punkin413
feel the magic, dang it!

okay, it's cherie. i knew that! how could i forget that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
~Clark W. Griswold~
he's one of my heroes.....seriously. "christmas vacation" is my all-time favorite christmas movie. well, it's actually tied with "a christmas story."

oh, eddie, if i woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, i wouldn't be more surprised than i am now.

Quote:
I remember driving to Walt Disney World for my very first trip ever when I was in the 4th grade.
the thing that sticks out in my mind about one of our trips to disney in the car from nashville was that we had to drink fresca and have donuts for breakfast. have you ever eaten donuts with fresca? it's disgusting!

Quote:
I also became a "woman" while driving through that desert which lead us to have to pull over at a "town" with a sign that said population 0.007. It was a small store/gas station/mechanic garage/someone's house all rolled into one. My dad was actually mad at me that God decided it was time for me to recieve the gift of woman-hood.
oh, you poor thing! what a way to "become a woman." when i was 15 we were at universal and my "montly friend" decided to arrive while we were in line for king kong. talk about great timing! oh, the joys of being a female.

Quote:
I'm so obsessed with planning our Disney trips that I am now a part time travel planner on the side of being a stay at home mom.
so am i!!!! well, i'm a part-time travel planner, not a SAHM. pretty cool, though, huh? i just started this back in may with a travel agency that specializes in disney trips. it's been pretty good so far!
punkin413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I'll always remember this ptr, because it's the first time I've seen "recieving the gift of womanhood" used in one.

Your family trip sounds like alot of fun!
winkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Morning Blue !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
hello!!!!!!!!!!
HELLOOOOO THERE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin413 View Post
hey, blue (as jordan calls you...i'm not sure of your real name! ) i'm here. gotta go back up and find out what those nifty flashback pictures were now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin413 View Post
okay, it's cherie. i knew that! how could i forget that??

THEY CALL ME STA-CEY...THAT'S NOT MY NAME!! THATS NOT MY NAME!! ......I sweare that song has been stuck in my head for like 2 weeks now!

Anyhoo, you can call me blue if you want. I think most people say that because mine and winkers real name is spelled exactly the same and we are on many of the same PTR's and TR's.

he's one of my heroes.....seriously. "christmas vacation" is my all-time favorite christmas movie. well, it's actually tied with "a christmas story."

oh, eddie, if i woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, i wouldn't be more surprised than i am now.

I love the National Lampoon movies!! Each one is in a funny world all it's own.

the thing that sticks out in my mind about one of our trips to disney in the car from nashville was that we had to drink fresca and have donuts for breakfast. have you ever eaten donuts with fresca? it's disgusting!

eew, no!! We've done the mini powder donuts with coke or sprite, which isn't all that wonderful either but...FRESCA??

oh, you poor thing! what a way to "become a woman." when i was 15 we were at universal and my "montly friend" decided to arrive while we were in line for king kong. talk about great timing! oh, the joys of being a female.

I KNOW, RIGHT?? OMG, King Kong!! That is too funny!

so am i!!!! well, i'm a part-time travel planner, not a SAHM. pretty cool, though, huh? i just started this back in may with a travel agency that specializes in disney trips. it's been pretty good so far!
That's what I do too! I actually have to give props to Scottny for helping me out with that. He gave me the info. I love it! I mostly just do it here locally. But it's a great way to feed the planning obsession!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
I'll always remember this ptr, because it's the first time I've seen "recieving the gift of womanhood" used in one.

Your family trip sounds like alot of fun!
I wasn't sure if I should include that for fear of TMI. But then I thought.....why the heck not, Winkers got peeps peeing in fountains!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Morning Blue !!
Good morning my little Rosie-poo!!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Cherie, just noticed your countdown ticker - that is sooo cute!! LOVE it!!

(okay, waiting for more, please.)

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Cherie, just noticed your countdown ticker - that is sooo cute!! LOVE it!!

(okay, waiting for more, please.)
Thank you! Mrsksomeday made it over at the Enchanted website. If you like the ticker you can click on it and look at the others she has made. They are all really cute!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Hiya Blue
Jumping on board. I also have a Kindy kid though mine is a DD. Room Mom-kudos to you. I do volunteer though. Can't wait to meet the cast.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: