Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #61
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I think your French looks perfect...I know enough to be able to order in a restaurant and find out where the rest rooms are...so that's a good thing I guess...

Definitely not limiting the movies just to Disney...just trying to bring it all around...

LOVE...Funny Face...French Kiss makes me laugh and to Catch a Thief...ahhh...weren't they just so ...I don't know...elegant? Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were just ...lovely...sigh...movies were more refined I think...
I took six years of French between high school and college, but nowadays, I would probably be able to order food in a restaurant and maybe, just maybe be able to figure out the bill. That's about it.

I love watching old films and Grace Kelly has always been one of my favorite actresses.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #62
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Oh! Well so four pages later I finally get it! So not that I got it, I am glad that I am here!

Great trip planning! I have been to Paris but never DLParis, my DBIL has been several times, said it is amazing... The castle is very pretty!
Sounds exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about that!

Love the cake ideas! Sound great!

Did I read somewhere you were going to Disney in January??!!

OOPS! Forgot to add that we have the "Triplets" movie and CD... it is a really neat film! I have not seen it in a while so thanks for reminding me!
So glad you came over...I have been a bad Diser this week...I've been off the boards for a week... which is pretty unusual...when I've been off 3 days I feel really behind...

I am really looking forward to taking the children to Paris...Hatter and I have been there a couple times and Em was there once when she was 8 but Rabbit has never been...so it will be a whole different trip experiencing it as a family......not to mention DLP...

I wish I was going to WDW in January... but no...for now it's October for Alice's 16th...

Triplets has a fabulous sound track...it's a good film...but definitely quirky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
When we went to London in '02 we stayed in a 3 BR flat (8 of us). It was wonderful! We were close to a tube station, and there was plenty of room to spread out. If you are staying put for a bit, I think having kitchen facilities is important, too.
...I can't wait to stay in the appartment...I'm deciding whether to post some of the photos of it now...or wait to see how it really looks when we get there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I took six years of French between high school and college, but nowadays, I would probably be able to order food in a restaurant and maybe, just maybe be able to figure out the bill. That's about it.

I love watching old films and Grace Kelly has always been one of my favorite actresses.
I had probably about the same amount of French...it's funny though if you through some tapes on in the car...a lot comes back...also I've had the luxury/humiliation of practicing with a native French speaker who seems to understand me......(now I think the fact that the practice happens sometimes at dinners when everyone has had a couple of glasses of wine might have something to do with it...

Old films are the best...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #63
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I have been a very bad Diser this past week...I will DEFINITELY do a planning update after I've caught up on all of your trip reports...

In my defense It has been a crazy and traumatic week. So if you could indulge me in my 5 minute pity party...

I was stressed out waiting for Rabbit's and Alice's Report Card and Conferences -I always worry......it's a hobby...

-Both were excellent though...(High Honors for Alice and Rabbit did amazingly well...tons of 100s/As, he is and sweet and contributes in class, his anxiety is down-biggest concern there is focus (he daydreams...although he can be refocused...and he never daydreams during tests... (I think he's motivated by the grades) and he needs to grow in his writing and...not as forthcoming with details as he needs to be...but for now...I'll take it...)

I was preparing a Thanksgiving dinner-we always have it here...(my brother and sister in law and my niece and nephew just moved to Houston...so we didn't have them this year...which made me a little sad...)

Alice was stressing because a couple of her friends have family situations that are a bit difficult and it's hard not to be able to solve everything for your kids......I think she realizes that she is lucky to be part of her family...

and the piece de resistance...

the roof in our "library"-so called because it has shelves full of my books and a comfy sofa (or it did a least...) is in a state of water damage/roof leakage/dry wall and wall paper fallen in dissarray...

We know we were getting some water in...our house is old in most parts...it is a carriage house but it had a couple additions and one was this room off to the side...one story-flat roof...we had called the roofers a couple months ago but they are behind because of the wet weather...

I should have known when Hatter closed the doors and told me it was due to the heat...(this room gets really cold in the winter)...that I should have been more wary...

then when I wanted to go in looking for a specific book...he told me it wasn't a good idea...I wasn't going to be happy...so I waited until he wasn't home...and...

I almost fainted...one side of the build in book shelves are saturated...nothing can probably be salvaged...all those lovely books...

There is plaster and wall paper everywhere and the sofa looks like it may be growing something white and a little fuzzy...MOLD...

Homeowners should cover much of the damage but Aaahhhhh....

all of those books (the ones on the other sides are unscathed...and I have alot in my bedroom...but)

I LOVE MY BOOKS...I FEEL LIKE THEY'VE BEEN MURDERED...

I'm really trying to stay calm...Lord knows there are so many people with much worse problems...but

I feel sad...

I need a hug...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #64
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Ohhhhh, Patricia! I'm sooo terribly sorry about the loss of your much loved books. That would make me very sad too!
It sounds as if you have much to accomplish in that room to make it book worthy again.

Has anyone been sick because of the mold?

Hugs, hugs, hugs to you my friend!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #65
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Oh Patricia...

I so understnad your woe I am not a book lover...but you know I love my Scrappin'...less than 6 months after we moved into a current home (I was still preggar w/ Margaret) our whole basement flooded it was only maybe an inch and a half of water...but our basement is huge over 1200 sq ft..and we still had many boxes left to be unpacked on the floor...included my scrapbooking things.

I cried over the lost paper and stickers and several wrecked pages of books in progress...the kids just didn't understand how Mama could be crying over paper.

I hope the damage will be fixed soon and your room will be even more wonderful than before and hoping some bookstore gift cards will be in order to cheer you up!

J~
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #66
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Oh Ps...

I may embaress myself and look for those Halloween pictures of me as Cleopatra...you'll have to excuse my early 90's hair wall though

get back to you!
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #67
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Oh this is horrible!!! I think I would be really very sad if this happened to my books!

I send you a lot of positive vibes across the Atlantic ...

... and maybe something to cheer you up: Flossbolna and I had a look at the DLP map and came up with some suggestions for your trip. You should get them very soon!

nodnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #68
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Katharina just told me took at your PTR!! I am soooo sorry!!

Many hugs and good thoughts from me!

I love my books, too, and would be so sad if they were destroyed. Even though most of my books would be replaceable, it would be sad to loose those that I actually read!!

I don't know wether you like second hand books, I used to hate them. I wanted my books to look new and shiny. But then I had a boyfriend who was really into browsing second hand book shops and I learned to love them, too. Perhaps you could have some fun browsing second hand book shops to replace your loved books? It might actually turn into a nice project.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #69
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Sorry about the books, the water damage, the mold....yikes.

Vent away........we're listening.

Hope the weekend isn't a total bust and you can enjoy the rest of it..
jordanyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #70
manntra
DIS Veteran

So sorry about your books...I have a large amount and would be devastated if something happened to them.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #71
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I have been a very bad Diser this past week...I will DEFINITELY do a planning update after I've caught up on all of your trip reports...

In my defense It has been a crazy and traumatic week. So if you could indulge me in my 5 minute pity party...

I was stressed out waiting for Rabbit's and Alice's Report Card and Conferences -I always worry......it's a hobby...

-Both were excellent though...(High Honors for Alice and Rabbit did amazingly well...tons of 100s/As, he is and sweet and contributes in class, his anxiety is down-biggest concern there is focus (he daydreams...although he can be refocused...and he never daydreams during tests... (I think he's motivated by the grades) and he needs to grow in his writing and...not as forthcoming with details as he needs to be...but for now...I'll take it...)

I was preparing a Thanksgiving dinner-we always have it here...(my brother and sister in law and my niece and nephew just moved to Houston...so we didn't have them this year...which made me a little sad...)

Alice was stressing because a couple of her friends have family situations that are a bit difficult and it's hard not to be able to solve everything for your kids......I think she realizes that she is lucky to be part of her family...

and the piece de resistance...

the roof in our "library"-so called because it has shelves full of my books and a comfy sofa (or it did a least...) is in a state of water damage/roof leakage/dry wall and wall paper fallen in dissarray...

We know we were getting some water in...our house is old in most parts...it is a carriage house but it had a couple additions and one was this room off to the side...one story-flat roof...we had called the roofers a couple months ago but they are behind because of the wet weather...

I should have known when Hatter closed the doors and told me it was due to the heat...(this room gets really cold in the winter)...that I should have been more wary...

then when I wanted to go in looking for a specific book...he told me it wasn't a good idea...I wasn't going to be happy...so I waited until he wasn't home...and...

I almost fainted...one side of the build in book shelves are saturated...nothing can probably be salvaged...all those lovely books...

There is plaster and wall paper everywhere and the sofa looks like it may be growing something white and a little fuzzy...MOLD...

Homeowners should cover much of the damage but Aaahhhhh....

all of those books (the ones on the other sides are unscathed...and I have alot in my bedroom...but)

I LOVE MY BOOKS...I FEEL LIKE THEY'VE BEEN MURDERED...

I'm really trying to stay calm...Lord knows there are so many people with much worse problems...but

I feel sad...

I need a hug...
I can relate! I feel that books are friends, and re-read many of them. About 13 years ago, a pipe burst in our laundry room and ran most of the night. Unfortunately, the laundry room is right over the storage closet in our ultra-dry basement. So there went all of my old childhood books, 45s, an old Parade magazine that had the cover article, "Will the Beatles Last?", old school-books, and many other things. My friends kept having to tell me, let it go! when we were cleaning up. I did replace some of my old books by going online. but it is heartbreaking to lose so much! I hope you are able to straighten it out soon!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #72
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I have caught up on all my tr's and was perusing the threads and your title drew me in. I do have a suggestion for a Disney French films. The Aristocats is set in 1910 Paris. My dd loves that one. She is watching right now actually. I would feel the same as you if something happed to my books.

pooh'smate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #73
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Oh crap, I'm sorry your books were ruined.
Mickey_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #74
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Oh what a bummer! I would have cried and cried and cried!

I have a lot of my books at my inlaws in storage and I worry about something happening to them. I actually went and looked at them today. Sometimes I just go down there and open up the boxes and remember all the great books I have.
Lady Lallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #75
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, Patricia, I can totally imagine your feelings of desolation when you discovered your books had been damaged! My eyes had tears in them when I read about it!!!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: