Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Double vs. Tandem Strollers - parents with multiple children!

Hello, I am doing a project for my engineering class, and we must come up with a justifiable problem and then follow the engineering process to work towards the solution.

Right now, I need your help justifying the problem.

Our problem statement is that strollers for two or more children are difficult to transport and maneuver.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd answer the following questions. Feel free to add extra input - anything would be helpful! The more details, the better!

I added bold tags to each question individually, so you should be able to quote and insert your answer in the spaces easily.

How many children do you have and what ages?

How many of your children ride in a stroller? (If your children are no longer stroller age, feel free to continue with the survey! Just tell me the maximum number of stroller-riders you've ever had at once.)

What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.)

Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town?

Does your stroller fold up compactly?

Is it easy to fasten and remove children from the stroller?

Can you easily reach your children when sitting in the stroller?

What improvements, if any, would you make to your stroller?

What design feature would you like to see available on strollers in the future?

Thank you very much!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
browniemtb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post

3 - 9,7,2

Quote:
How many of your children ride in a stroller? (If your children are no longer stroller age, feel free to continue with the survey! Just tell me the maximum number of stroller-riders you've ever had at once.)
2 at a time

Quote:
What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.)
Sit n stand....one kid sits in front and the back you can either sit or stand on a platform.

Quote:
Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town?
Not at all

Quote:
Yes, for its size it does pretty well.

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Make the folding part easier

Quote:
A fold out adult seat

Thank God for DVC!
DD14 DD12 DS7 DS4
browniemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

5 - 16, 12, 8, 20 months, 2wks

tandem

no

No. It's huge

Yes

The newborn, yes. He is in the "back seat" of the tandem. The 20 month, no she is upright in the front

Lighter. Folds more compactly

Full sized tandems that are light weight and fold into a more compact size
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi - I dont have children of my own, but a problem that I see arise is when a family has a child with special needs who needs extra support and then one or more children who are still small and need a stroller - so that would be 3 things on wheels! but even if its just 1 child with special needs and their sibling, it can be rough.

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
jnsma
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We have used 3 strollers in the past. Each for a different reason.
a) a front/back type. b) a collapsable double umbrella, c) a folding jogging. Each has pros and cons, I'll give you each

2- 5 & 5

a) front/back double stroller.
b) double wide umbrella
c) double wide jogging

a) yes, very long takes up alot of room
b) not at all. very maneuverable even in stores
c) yes, but not too bad. only hard in crowdes because of the width.

a) No
b) Yes
c) Not bad given its size

a) Yes
b) yes
c) yes

a) Not great
b) yes
c) yes

a) great when younger. Just too long. front/back doesn't work when the kids get older.
b) Didn't stand up very well. Not sturdy
c) Front wheel was fixed, should piviot to aid cornering

pivioting wheel on cheaper models of jogging strollers
jnsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Mommyto1andtwins
Mouseketeer

Quote:

How many children do you have and what ages? 3 kids 7years 6 years 6years

How many of your children ride in a stroller? (If your children are no longer stroller age, feel free to continue with the survey! Just tell me the maximum number of stroller-riders you've ever had at once.) all three were in strollers together

What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.) I have a Mountain Buggy with the swivel wheels two seater side by side & Prenatal or a McClaren for the older one. When the older one could stand for longer periods I hooked a kiddy board to the back of the Mountain buggy. I also had a Roundabout triple tandem.

Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town? I loved using the Mountain buggy with the kiddy board. I wished that the handle were taller so I could be a little farther away from the stroller because I would kick the buggy board. The roundabout was so heavy that adding three kids became very difficult to lift to turn since the front wheels didn't swivel. It was also pretty open to the elements. There was a sun shade but didn't cover the kids completely.

Does your stroller fold up compactly? The mountain buggy would fold flat but remained wide. The Prenatal ended up looking similar to a big ball. The McClaren folded up like an umbrella stroller. The Roundabout actually had a hitch that would go on the back of my SUV and it just hung out back there.

Is it easy to fasten and remove children from the stroller? Mountain buggy yes, very easy, loved it. McClaren very easy also. Prenatal was easier without the bar in front. Roundabout was difficult the seats were hard and the straps would get caught. If was also tight fit because it was tandem and there was much room between the seats.

Can you easily reach your children when sitting in the stroller? Mountain buggy, Prenatal, McClaren yes just move the sun shield all had a peek window. The Roundabout was so long that I always had to walk around to help the front two.

What improvements, if any, would you make to your stroller? Longer handles for all. If they offered the same stroller for taller people that would be wonderful!!

What design feature would you like to see available on strollers in the future? telescoping handles? something that would make it easier for taller people. I am only 5'6" and I was still kicking the stroller often. My mother is 5'10" and she always kicks the stroller and has to lean forward to push the handles.

Thank you very much!
Good Questions!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
wmharley
DIS Veteran

Location: Central-ish Florida. Roughly under an hour to Disney

2- 5,1.5

What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.)Sit and Stand

Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town?the SnS is basically a big rig. you need to do a wide turn, so if there are many aisles making it difficult to turn, then yes. other than that, not so much. Its just long from the front to where I hold it.

pretty much.. as small as our Graco single rider
yes
yes
bigger sun cover. Fully reclining front. LArger rear seat, and sliding back. Maybe a removable back for the rear jumpseat. Larger underneath storage or even EASIER to access. a COVER for the rear jumpseat.
What design feature would you like to see available on strollers in the future?ability to fly. rockets or offensive weapons for use in a crowd.
wmharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

How many children do you have and what ages? 5 children, 13, 11, 8, 6, 6

How many of your children ride in a stroller? (If your children are no longer stroller age, feel free to continue with the survey! Just tell me the maximum number of stroller-riders you've ever had at once.) For several years, I had 3

What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.) Most of the time, double tandem

Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town? I had trouble with my triple (seats behind each other) and my double with the seats behind each other.

Does your stroller fold up compactly? My first (I had 11 total) did not - it was european, with a large metal base and springy wheels, with a bassinet and seat attachment, but I had a minivan, so I just placed it in the back - it was awesome. My triple perego had removable seats, and was a PITA to transport (when I had 3 under 2). My combi twin savvy was so compact - one of my favorites. I had 2 double joggers (burned through the first with #1 and #2), but I just kept them on the porch for walks. I also loved my single and double snap and go's - very compact for holding the infant seats.

Is it easy to fasten and remove children from the stroller? yes

Can you easily reach your children when sitting in the stroller? yes

What improvements, if any, would you make to your stroller? I had so many, but I did like the 5 point harness on some of them. Built in snack holders for the kids, and water bottle holder for the mom, is great.

What design feature would you like to see available on strollers in the future? I used to dream of a stroller than would move back and forth on it's own, when you're trying to put baby to sleep!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
tloveswdw
Mouseketeer

2 now, but three when the babies cam along and I would have three on longer trips, WDW etc

1.single when I have only one riding, (other in a sling, or walking), usually only short distances (I have three singles that are used somewhat regularly)
2.Double wide- big walk, and running
3. Phil and Ted Vibe- a stacked tandem, is my everyday and WDW stoller

yes! But, that has a lot to do with overall accessibility issues, (door width, doors slamming)

1. Singles yes
2. double wides for sure are big
3. Phil and Ted Vibe, (and e3), are not that bad, though a bit bulky on transportation

all yes- otherwise I would not buy

yes

Phil and Ted vibe a better fold overall- with a latch and maybe handle

two seats- stacked, storage, parent tray

and a week at the Fort to ring in 2013!
tloveswdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
ebaymommy2two
Earning My Ears

2 children, ages 6.5 and 4.5

• Individual
• Traditional double stroller (kids sit one behind the other)
• Double combination bike stroller/jogging stroller

Yes, I frequently had problems negotiating around crowded department stores with the traditional double stroller.

The single stroller, yes. Neither of the double strollers do, they're huge.

Yes

Yes

Fully reclining front and back seats on double stroller. I spent a lot of time propping up little sleeping heads on blankets trying to keep them comfortable.

Also as my children are 2.5 years apart in age, I found it VERY difficult to steer the double stroller with the oldest child in the front, yet I needed to put the baby in the back as that was the only seat that fully reclined so he could nap.

Easy to access storage, cup/water bottle holders for parent, snack/cup holders for kids are essential on all strollers. Adequate canopy/shade coverage for both children in a double stroller.

Our WDW trip - 3/13/10-3/20/10 - staying at CBR
ebaymommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

Two, both are 1 year old

Both of them

I have three:
1) A side by side umbrella (lightweight) stroller that I use for short shopping trips or day long outings (like Disney world or the zoo)
2) A side by side jogger that I use for long walks, the dog park, anything "off-roading" etc
3) A double tandem that I don't use very often anymore unless I'm doing major shopping (big basket underneath). It would take two infant car seats, so it got a ton of use when the boys were small.

They all have issues in some stores, especially clothing stores. The jogger doesn't fit through all doors

The umbrella stroller does, the other two do not

Yes

In the umbrella, yes, the other two no

The umbrella needs a cup holder. All three need some way to attach bags (like shopping bags or a diaper bag). The umbrella has annoying and hard to use brakes. Snack trays on all three would be useful. All three recline, but none of the recline mechanisms are very intuitive or easy to use.

One hand open and close mechanisms. A handle to lift and carry the stroller.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
ednamag
Earning My Ears

3- 6, 3 and 1

Usually 2 at a time

Double-wide for longer outings
Single for shorter outings- just the youngest goes in

Occasional issues with fitting the double-wide through doors or aisles in stores

Yes

Yes

Yes

Lighter

Can't think of any

Thank you very much![/QUOTE]
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

2, ages 1 and 6

How many of your children ride in a stroller? (If your children are no longer stroller age, feel free to continue with the survey! Just tell me the maximum number of stroller-riders you've ever had at once.) the 1 year old, always, the 6 year old rides at outings like Disney, etc.

What kind of stroller do you use? Double-wide, tandem, individual, or other? (If you use more than one stroller, please specify for what occasions.) Individual for Mall trips and the like, a double jogger for Disney

Have you ever had any problems maneuvering your stroller through stores or around town? Yes!!! The 4 wheeled individual one can get stuck in tightly packed clothing racks at stores.

Does your stroller fold up compactly? Both are a bit bulky, but do fold somewhat flat

Yes, for both strollers

While pushing, no, due to sun visors, but when I am in front, yes

Higher weight limits and better cupholder, etc for parents

What design feature would you like to see available on strollers in the future? I really like a 3 wheel with front swivel wheel. I have a single jogger and a double jogger with this feature and have found it makes maneuvering a lot easier!

Good luck with our project, hope this helps!

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: