Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Question Train from Toronto, Buffalo or New York City to Orlando

Has anyone taken the train from Toronto (or Buffalo or New York City) to Orlando? If so, how was it? Did you have kids with you?

I know there is an Amtrak train from TO to NYC and another traing from NYC to Orlando - and you can also go BUF to NYC to ORL - so in that, sense I know it is possible to take the train.

We're thinking of going back this summer and are looking for an alternative to flying - way to expensive from where we live! We could drive to TO or BUF and fly, but want to consider all of our options. We would be five adults, a 3 year old and twin one year olds. (We've driven before but aren't up for that anymore - our drivers aren't up for such a long haul behind the wheel.)

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

BUF to MCO On Southwest nonstop in May is approx $1223 (all seats purchased including infants).

Same deal but an overnight required both directions and possible luggage issues with Amtrak out of Buffalo is almost $1600.

Fly my friend, fly like the wind.
WebmasterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
DC7800
DIS Veteran

You may do better taking the train out of Buffalo (early a.m.), chsanging trains in New York to number 97, the southbound Silver Meteor. The Maple Leaf, the train from Toronto to New York, would otherwsie be fine except it doesn't arrive New York Penn Station until after the Meteor, last train of the day to Florida, has already departed. No overnight stay is required to take Amtrak to Orlando from Buffalo.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterCricket View Post
possible luggage issues with Amtrak
If I may ask, what do you mean "possible luggage issues"? Some of the Buffalo to New York trains do not offer checked baggage service, but it is available in Buffalo, New York Penn, and Orlando or Kissimmee.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Sorry, the amount of time difference between flying and taking a train results in pretty much not a chance I would consider taking a train that distance. Sorry, my time is worth more then even a $1,000 difference in price.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
WebmasterCricket
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
If I may ask, what do you mean "possible luggage issues"? Some of the Buffalo to New York trains do not offer checked baggage service, but it is available in Buffalo, New York Penn, and Orlando or Kissimmee.
When I plugged the destinations, it forced me to go through NYC (did I miss something?). Which station offers a route to Orlando without an NYC leg and when? That is also why I mentioned the overnight since it's required. The "luggage issues" stemmed from that. If there is a transfer that could also complicate things too more than a nonstop flight would.

Either way, everything else excluded, the flight is still somewhat cheaper isn't it? That's even with the infants buying seats. That's not the way everyone would go but the option to exclude that cost comes into play.

Is there a parking fee at a train depot similar to the airport? (BUF is in the $50 range/week LT "A")
Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
WebmasterCricket
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Just checked it again...
Quote:
Important Baggage Policy Note: Checked baggage service is not available for at least one portion of your trip. For this portion, the policy regarding carry-on baggage applies. Click here for more information.
Checked both Buffalo stations and get the same warning from both and they both require an overnight. Am I missing something obvious?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
DISNEYNY
DIS Veteran

Talking

You can usually find really good fares frm BUF to MCO...take a non stop and you are there in 2 hr 45 min. You can leave your vehicle in the lots across from the airport for about $7.00 a day and then take Magical Express to WDW when you arrive in Orlando. The train sounds like a hassle.
2000 & 01 OFF SITE, 02 ASSP, 03 ASMU, 04 POP, 05 POR, 06 ASMO, 07 ASMU AND SSR, 08 POP,Dec 08 ASSP , Aug 09 CBR & ASSP , Dec 09 POP Feb 10 ESPN wknd, Aug 10 AKL-ASMU Free dining, POR Dec 10 FDP Disneyland July 11

DISNEYNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
WebmasterCricket
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYNY View Post
You can usually find really good fares frm BUF to MCO...take a non stop and you are there in 2 hr 45 min. You can leave your vehicle in the lots across from the airport for about $7.00 a day and then take Magical Express to WDW when you arrive in Orlando. The train sounds like a hassle.
Which parking do you use? I like the "pre-heat" deal in the winter but in the warmer months, with the airport coupon, it's about a breakeven @ a week isn't it?

http://www.buffaloairport.com/pdfs/B...ing_Coupon.pdf
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
princessap
DIS Veteran

I understand you trying to save money...we are in the same position for APril, everyone keeps saying we can get it for 200 out of buffalo and I cannot find anything cheaper than 550 out of buffalo, even the day they were released from southwest...let me know what you find out!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
DISNEYNY
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterCricket View Post
Which parking do you use? I like the "pre-heat" deal in the winter but in the warmer months, with the airport coupon, it's about a breakeven @ a week isn't it?

http://www.buffaloairport.com/pdfs/B...ing_Coupon.pdf
We parked at Fastrack (used to be Sunpark) last time. I think it was $7.50 per day with the coupon. We have always gone in August so we didn't need the pre-heat.
2000 & 01 OFF SITE, 02 ASSP, 03 ASMU, 04 POP, 05 POR, 06 ASMO, 07 ASMU AND SSR, 08 POP,Dec 08 ASSP , Aug 09 CBR & ASSP , Dec 09 POP Feb 10 ESPN wknd, Aug 10 AKL-ASMU Free dining, POR Dec 10 FDP Disneyland July 11

Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
DISNEYNY
DIS Veteran

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I understand you trying to save money...we are in the same position for APril, everyone keeps saying we can get it for 200 out of buffalo and I cannot find anything cheaper than 550 out of buffalo, even the day they were released from southwest...let me know what you find out!
Are you going over Easter? Yes, I'm sure those fares will be higher. My friend is going over Christmas and is paying about 500 RT.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Sorry, the amount of time difference between flying and taking a train results in pretty much not a chance I would consider taking a train that distance. Sorry, my time is worth more then even a $1,000 difference in price.
A line from the sitcom Big Band Theory.

"Traveling by train means you pay twice as much to take 5 times longer to get there."

The only time the train can be "cheaper" is if you travel in coach on the Autotrain. With the Autotrain you at least have your own car and don't have to rent one there.

I think the only cheap option would be Greyhound.

ETA: Maybe not, on a lark I checked Greyhound about $366 round trip and it takes 1 day 20 hours going down and 1 day 11 hours coming back.

Last edited by chartle; 11-06-2009 at 03:11 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
krissyh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
April 4 is Easter and spring break is later in the month = expensive air fare.

If the OP is flexible, they should be able to fly for less than taking the train.

1. Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran all fly direct from BUF to MCO.
2. I would assume driving to BUF rather than taking the train across the border would make for a quicker/easier time through customs.
3. Prices - I booked R/T on Southwest from MLK weekend - direct flights for $145/person.
4. Do you want to be on the train for that long and make transfers with three little ones?
krissyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Smile OP Here ... Still Looking for Train Experiences

Hi everyone ... thanks for your suggestions. I do realize that we could fly cheaper out of Buffalo than taking a train. Cost is one only one part of the equation though. (And sadly but truthfully, driving down and taking the train would still be cheaper for us than flying from home.)

Our reality is that it is a 10-12 hr drive (excluding pitstops and border crossing delays) from home to Buffalo. If we choose not to fly from home, we're looking at an extended pre-post trip no matter what form of mass transit we opt for when we get out of Northern Ontario.

We usually fly, but don't really enjoy it. While the train takes much longer than a plane, it seemed like something that might be fun to do. Like I mentioned in my first post, this is just an option we are considering. (The potential luggage issues are definitely sounding alarm bells - no way can we all mangage with just carryons.)

I was, and still am, hoping someone here has some firsthand - or even secondhand experience that they can share.

ETA Thanks for the greyhound info but even if it weren't pricey and time concuming we would jsut not opt for bus travel. Also, with regard to transfer with infants, I don't see how a train station is really all that different from an airport - one adult per kid and two left over to oversee the luggage etc.

Last edited by disneymath; 11-06-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: My thoughts caught up with me.
disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: