Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
jandel
Mouseketeer

Just Back - stuff you might wanna know

Hi all - just returned from 6 glorious days at the Yacht Club (1st time ever at a deluxe - whoo-hoo) and here's the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good, no make that great: The CM's everywhere bent over backwards to shower us with pixie dust. 1. Got upgraded to a room overlooking Stormalong Bay and the lake. 2. Balloons and a chocolate Mickey awaited us in our room. 3. Got last-minute (5pm) reservations for Le Cellier at 6pm same evening. 4. Got stuck on Haunted Mansion for ten minutes...directly in front of dining hall scene!

The Bad: Not much. 1. Test Track and Splash Mountain closed for refurb. 2. Lots of large tour groups one day at HS but they were all well-behaved and not really noticable once in the park.

The UGLY: Just one thing - the weather. Cold, overcast, sleeting on Saturday. It kept the crowds down but it was a challenge to stay out all day. Thank goodness for indoor shows .

Some things to know if you're going: We ran into a couple we'd seen at our hotel in Epcot on Sunday night. It was about 6pm and they could not get in to ANY sit-down restaurant because they had forgotten to make an ADR for that night. Also in MK we saw several "no walk-ups" signs on different days.

There's lots of those wall things that they put up when they're changing or building something in every park except AK.

Still no "live" Yeti on EE.

Most plants still look ok - lots of flowers and even some roses are blooming - but there are a few covered beds with jack frost signs on them.

As of 9pm yesterday (Monday) the Christmas decorations are still up and holiday music is still going strong.

There is no 2009 stuff to be found anywhere.

Crowds were non-existent in every park except Epcot in the evening. We waited no more than 10 minutes for anything. Rode EE, BTMR, TOT and Mission Space back-to-back .

Speaking of Mission Space, for those of you wondering about green versus orange. I am quite claustrophobic and prone to motion sickness (at least in a car.) We tried green version first and I swear, they scare you to death with all the repeated warnings about the ride. Anyway, I found it to be all nonsense. I LOVED this ride. So much fun. So the next day we decided to try the orange mission. How much worse could it be right? Wrong. I got so nauseated after it was over I had to sit on a bench with my head down for twenty minutes . Just a word of warning to those of you on the fence about which version to try

I will try and post some pictures in a more detailed report later.

Lisa
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
lvdis
love disney

I'm glad you had a great trip despite the cold weather. That's awesome! I'm curious, did you walk to DHS or Epcot from your resort at all or just take the boat? Also, were the Osborne Family Dancing lights still going in DHS? Thanks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Sounds like a great trip, except the weather! I still can't believe how ugly it's been down there.

Mary
Old 01-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
jandel
Mouseketeer

We walked to Epcot all the time. It takes less than ten minutes to be at the back gate. DHS is a little farther so we would take the boat over there. The entire time we were there we caught a bus just twice - once to AK and once to DD. That was a nice change.

A CM told me the last night for the Osbourn lights was the 4th .
Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
smsnorthup
I have OCDD-Obsessive Compulsive Disney Disorder

I can't believe the xmas decorations are still up and music playing! Do you think it will still be going on this weekend....anyone know? We leave on Fri and were just saying how we wish we could still see the decorations...we were there for Thanksgiving and saw them then. Sorry to the OP for the cold weather...I would have been pretty miserable in that cold even at Disney...can't handle the cold!!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

Sounds like you and me had the same Mission Space experience. Sorry about the weather. At least you weren't in MN.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

thanks for the info. Glad you got the upgrade and balloons...it great to get something when you're not expecting it.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
zhazhazsu
DIS Veteran

Hi! I am just back too from 7 nights at POR. I caught O! Lights on there last night, really something special and stunning.

I agree with everything you said, wait times were low ( except for TSM) and weather was pretty crummy on Saturday.

However I differ in opinion about Mission Space. DH has been trying to get me to ride the orange side since our last trip. I finally did this trip, and I get why he called it " boring" I would describe it as a " slightly uncomfortable" feeling, although I can see why some could get sick from it.

Also Sum of All Fears is great! Fun ride, and I loved that I could make it as intense as I wanted. I also liked that it hasn't caught on yet, so it had a minimal wait time.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
jandel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhazhazsu View Post
Hi! I am just back too from 7 nights at POR. I caught O! Lights on there last night, really something special and stunning.

I agree with everything you said, wait times were low ( except for TSM) and weather was pretty crummy on Saturday.

However I differ in opinion about Mission Space. DH has been trying to get me to ride the orange side since our last trip. I finally did this trip, and I get why he called it " boring" I would describe it as a " slightly uncomfortable" feeling, although I can see why some could get sick from it.

Also Sum of All Fears is great! Fun ride, and I loved that I could make it as intense as I wanted. I also liked that it hasn't caught on yet, so it had a minimal wait time.
Well, shoot. We were never at DHS at night but we did ask a CM first morning we were there and she told me they stopped on the 4th (we arrived on the 7th.) If I had know that we would have gone back and seen them.

I had no problem with Mission Space during the ride itself - I was exhilerated but after I got off and stepped outside it just hit me.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
jandel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnorthup View Post
I can't believe the xmas decorations are still up and music playing! Do you think it will still be going on this weekend....anyone know? We leave on Fri and were just saying how we wish we could still see the decorations...we were there for Thanksgiving and saw them then. Sorry to the OP for the cold weather...I would have been pretty miserable in that cold even at Disney...can't handle the cold!!
Dh and I were saying all week - doesn't matter, we're in Disney

It was 11 degrees and 2 inches of snow on ground when we left our house last Thursday. Our plane landed this afternoon in a snow shower and now there's 5 inches on the ground.

I don't care - I'm still on a Disney high and I've got about a week's worth of Disney chocolate and sweets to graze through!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnorthup View Post
accoring to early posts on the board the decorations in the Magic Kingdom should remain up thru Jan 14th. This info was directly from the Disney Parks blog.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Glampire31
Mouseketeer

Glad you had such a great time.... Was the balloons and chocolate mickey in your room a surprise or something from disney? Just curious....
Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandel View Post
Hi all - just returned from 6 glorious days at the Yacht Club (1st time ever at a deluxe - whoo-hoo) and here's the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good, no make that great: The CM's everywhere bent over backwards to shower us with pixie dust. 1. Got upgraded to a room overlooking Stormalong Bay and the lake. 2. Balloons and a chocolate Mickey awaited us in our room. 3. Got last-minute (5pm) reservations for Le Cellier at 6pm same evening. 4. Got stuck on Haunted Mansion for ten minutes...directly in front of dining hall scene!

The Bad: Not much. 1. Test Track and Splash Mountain closed for refurb. 2. Lots of large tour groups one day at HS but they were all well-behaved and not really noticable once in the park.

The UGLY: Just one thing - the weather. Cold, overcast, sleeting on Saturday. It kept the crowds down but it was a challenge to stay out all day. Thank goodness for indoor shows .

Some things to know if you're going: We ran into a couple we'd seen at our hotel in Epcot on Sunday night. It was about 6pm and they could not get in to ANY sit-down restaurant because they had forgotten to make an ADR for that night. Also in MK we saw several "no walk-ups" signs on different days.

There's lots of those wall things that they put up when they're changing or building something in every park except AK.

Still no "live" Yeti on EE.

Most plants still look ok - lots of flowers and even some roses are blooming - but there are a few covered beds with jack frost signs on them.

As of 9pm yesterday (Monday) the Christmas decorations are still up and holiday music is still going strong.

There is no 2009 stuff to be found anywhere.

Crowds were non-existent in every park except Epcot in the evening. We waited no more than 10 minutes for anything. Rode EE, BTMR, TOT and Mission Space back-to-back .

Speaking of Mission Space, for those of you wondering about green versus orange. I am quite claustrophobic and prone to motion sickness (at least in a car.) We tried green version first and I swear, they scare you to death with all the repeated warnings about the ride. Anyway, I found it to be all nonsense. I LOVED this ride. So much fun. So the next day we decided to try the orange mission. How much worse could it be right? Wrong. I got so nauseated after it was over I had to sit on a bench with my head down for twenty minutes . Just a word of warning to those of you on the fence about which version to try

I will try and post some pictures in a more detailed report later.

Lisa
Thanks for the post! Are the resort mugs new yet? I wish they'd go back to the larger ones that they used to have when they were resort specific. I have such a collection of them and still use them! Thanks.
1984 Main Gate, 1985 Poly, 1986 DL xcountry trip
1987 Main Gate, 1989 DL xcountry trip, 1991 CBR
1992 POFQ, 1993 CBR, 1995 ASMu Magic Music Days
2000 CBR, 2001 CBR 2002 CBR, 2003 May CSR
2003 Aug WL, 2007 ASSp FD, 2008 May ASMu
2008 Sept/Oct ASMu FD w/DV
2009 May ASMu $500 (2)free gift card!
2010 Feb WL, 2010 Nov/Dec CBR,
2012 ASMu Family Suite, 2013 Caribe Royale
These are only the Disney trips!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
elizabethswan
Mouseketeer

so regarding mission space green, how does it compare to other rides? just wondering because i love soarin but find thunder mountain too scary. i know, what a wimp! any info would be much appreciated!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
dewdropfairy
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the update, I'm headed there soon myself so this is very useful information.

Did you use FP much? What were the waits for TSM like?

Us DS6 DS4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: