Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
IncredibleboysMom
DIS Veteran

Some Dream HC stateroom info

Hi all,

I booked on Monday for the 5/29/11 5 night sailing of the Dream. I requested 2 cat 11c rooms, one HC and one other, connecting if possible. I saw on the deckplans that rooms 2507 and 2511 suited our needs as well as an identical pair on the other side. The CM was able to book the regular room, but said that it would not let her book the HC room although it was showing that it was available. Well, I really wanted our rooms to be connecting or at least side by side, so instead she booked us in side by side HC rooms 2533 and 2535 (two of our 3 boys have a physical disability). I did not want take up two HC rooms, so I asked her investigate the situation further. She said she would have a supervisor look into it. A few hours later, a CM called be back and said that the issue is that the two forward rooms on deck 2 (2511 and the one on the other corner) are NOT fully HC accessible rooms. Evidently there is an issue with putting in the wider doorway in those rooms. The rooms are larger, and they will have a shower (no tub), but some of the other HC features are not there. Other than the doorway, she was pretty vague about what would not be accessible which makes sense as the ship is still under construction.

Thought this info might help someone. We went with the connecting pair of rooms as my son CAN walk and we can easily pop the wheelchair wheels off and on to get into the door if needed.

I really appreciated the phone call and the explanation about the room.
Disney Magic 4/05, 9/08, 11/13
IncredibleboysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Jackie Psarianos
Mouseketeer

Disney Dream

We are also booked for a back to back cruise on the Disney Dream, from August 25-28, followed by August 28-September 1. My travel agent was able to get us cabin 10142 in cat. 5A, which is comparable to the cat. 6 on the Magic and Wonder, but not in size.

I compared our stateroom to the cat. 8 and some of them have the same square footage inside, but without a verandah.

I'm just curious why all the cabins seemed to have shrunk in size, but the rest of the ship grew by forty percent.
2012-AoA-
2012-Aulani
2011-Disneyland's Paradise Pier
2011-WL/Disney Dream x2
2010-SSR/BWV-July/ SSR
2009-BWV/GF/Disney Wonderx2
2009-Disneyland Hotel
2008-BWV
2007-GF/Disney Wonderx2/BWV
2006-SSR/Disney Magic/BWV
2005-GF/Disney Wonder/WL
2002-CBR
Jackie Psarianos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleboysMom View Post
Hi all,

I booked on Monday for the 5/29/11 5 night sailing of the Dream. I requested 2 cat 11c rooms, one HC and one other, connecting if possible. I saw on the deckplans that rooms 2507 and 2511 suited our needs as well as an identical pair on the other side. The CM was able to book the regular room, but said that it would not let her book the HC room although it was showing that it was available. Well, I really wanted our rooms to be connecting or at least side by side, so instead she booked us in side by side HC rooms 2533 and 2535 (two of our 3 boys have a physical disability). I did not want take up two HC rooms, so I asked her investigate the situation further. She said she would have a supervisor look into it. A few hours later, a CM called be back and said that the issue is that the two forward rooms on deck 2 (2511 and the one on the other corner) are NOT fully HC accessible rooms. Evidently there is an issue with putting in the wider doorway in those rooms. The rooms are larger, and they will have a shower (no tub), but some of the other HC features are not there. Other than the doorway, she was pretty vague about what would not be accessible which makes sense as the ship is still under construction.

Thought this info might help someone. We went with the connecting pair of rooms as my son CAN walk and we can easily pop the wheelchair wheels off and on to get into the door if needed.

I really appreciated the phone call and the explanation about the room.
It's great they got back to you so quickly!! And thanks for the info. DH needs a HC stateroom so we don't cruise without one.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Does your son need the accessible shower? If so, the "not fully accessible" room might be ideal...he can walk in the room so the doorway might not matter.

My logic was that he might not be able to handle the regular shower.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
IncredibleboysMom
DIS Veteran

We did go with the "not fully accessible" room. Our issue has always been having room for the wheelchair in the stateroom. He will likely walk on the ship, but uses the chair for distances, like in port or to the beach on CC. My other son (who will be 5 then) may very well be using a wheelchair then as well, so we were happy to get a larger room without having to buy a suite or taking up a fully HC accessible room. Hopefully we can get some reports on these staterooms before we sail.

How are we going to pass the next 18 1/2 months???
Disney Magic 4/05, 9/08, 11/13
IncredibleboysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleboysMom View Post

How are we going to pass the next 18 1/2 months???
The same way we all do...wishing and dreaming!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Jackie Psarianos
Mouseketeer

Passing the Time while Waiting....

Why,.....I'll be posting here....and writing to people who really understand.
2012-AoA-
2012-Aulani
2011-Disneyland's Paradise Pier
2011-WL/Disney Dream x2
2010-SSR/BWV-July/ SSR
2009-BWV/GF/Disney Wonderx2
2009-Disneyland Hotel
2008-BWV
2007-GF/Disney Wonderx2/BWV
2006-SSR/Disney Magic/BWV
2005-GF/Disney Wonder/WL
2002-CBR