Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

Kids liked GF but said they want to go back to AKL!!

We just got back from a 7 night stay at the GF. It is a beautiful resort but I was so surprised when my 6 1/2 year old twins both said the next time we go back they want to go to AKL. We went 2 years ago when they were 4 1/2 and they really loved it there. I have to say we liked the food court much better at AKL and loved the pool there as well. It's hard to compare the resorts because they are so different. I think AKL had a more laid back feeling to it. My husband wants to try the polyinesian the next time (not that his opinion counts ) We will probably return to AKL but I have to say having the monirail was great. Linda
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
We just got back from a 7 night stay at the GF. It is a beautiful resort but I was so surprised when my 6 1/2 year old twins both said the next time we go back they want to go to AKL. We went 2 years ago when they were 4 1/2 and they really loved it there. I have to say we liked the food court much better at AKL and loved the pool there as well. It's hard to compare the resorts because they are so different. I think AKL had a more laid back feeling to it. My husband wants to try the polyinesian the next time (not that his opinion counts ) We will probably return to AKL but I have to say having the monirail was great. Linda
I can see why- AKL is beautiful!!
lustergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
dmccarty
DIS Veteran

Last spring we went to Narcoossee's for dinner which was very good. We were impressed with the GF. Except for parking that was off in na na land.

DW and I would like to stay at GF one day but we don't think the kids would like it. The pool we saw was just a pool. It was nothing compared to the pool at AKL. And no animals to look at either. We did like the vibe in the lobby at GF. Having a jazz band in the balcony was very nice. It is different than AKL though.

I think we would like it but the kids not so much.

Later,
Dan
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

Make a compromise and choose WL. Instead of the monorail you get the boat, which is so enjoyable.

WL and AKL in my mind are basically the same hotel, just with different theming. WL isn't so much woodsy as it is Art and Crafts. The grounds are gorgeous and its a laid back atmosphere. You don't realize how close you are to the MK when your there, but when you get on the boat, make the first turn and see the castle its just amazing.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Cindy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

We stayed at GF in Jan then AKL in May and my kids just loved AKL, we have chosen the WL for our next trip as a bit of an in between! The GF is my fav resort although AKL is catching up, my kids just loved the animals and their faces were just a picture it really was magical!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

The only thing keeping me from trying AKL is the fact that it's in the boonies. I guess not a big deal if you rent a car, but I like a vacation from driving. I'm also way spoiled by the monorail.

OP, maybe you should take your DHs opinion regarding the Poly into consideration. I bet the kids would love it there and you'd still be on the monorail. I think I'd take your DH suggestion more into account than the kids-I'm sure he pays for the trips(kids don't) -throw the poor dude a bone and stay at the Poly.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I stayed at AKL in May with my mom and then we stayed as a family at GF in October. I absolutely love the AKL for its theming, but I loved having the monorail at the GF and I love the restaurant selection at the GF also. The quick service restaurant is also good, I agree and it was one of the places we went the most. I think the thing I liked the most is that the resort is on the small side, and everything seems like it's close to the main building.
IheartDDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Louiepipbgeeco
Louie is hubby, I am PIP Disney Diva!!

I can see where AKL would be much more appealing to children. The pool seems more fun and the animals are a definite draw. My son was absolutely in love with the Lodge. He talked about it continuously afterwards. We ended up going to buy a Playmobil toy that resembles a Lodge with animals for him. (He loves to reenact things)

ME DH : DD age 16
DS age 8
Louiepipbgeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
tinkerfan1
DIS Veteran

Maybe the kids would like the Polynesian better than the GF, too. AK really is a cool place but I don't like that it isn't on the monorail, either. GF is just a much more formal atmosphere. I bet they'd love the Polynesian as well, though. I love visiting the GF at Thanksgiving and I've stayed their once but I prefer to stay elsewhere in a more casual environment. It's so nice the Disney has so many different options.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

AKL is probably a bit cheaper so at least you'll be saving some money

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
purpliequeen
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda,

We've stayed at both the AKL and GF and will be returning to the AKL this January. My family agrees with your twins- we want to go back! I think that AKL's environment is very unique and extremely hard to emulate. You won't find an AKL anywhere else in the world (other than Africa, for instance) without a company having to put severe amount of capital into the project. I think that you're also completely right with the atmosphere- AKL was more relaxed, maybe it was because of the darker finishes on the inside versus the brightness of the GF. I also think that it was great being in one large building with everything under one roof. We didn't like the GF so much because of the fact that we had to leave our building to get to Gasparilla or Narcoosee for instance. The food at AKL is also to die for. I also agree with the quick service. Gasparilla's seating area (inside) is horrible. It's so small, cramped, and poorly themed. I just don't get it.

Anyway, both resorts are great in their own way. Thanks for the report and welcome home to civilization. hahaha
~Dec. '05~ Saratoga Springs Resort
~Aug. '06~ Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge
~June '07~ Beach Club Villas
~Dec. '08 - Jan. '09~ Yacht Club & Grand Floridian
~Jan. '10~ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas Concierge
~Dec. '10~ Christmas at Boardwalk Villas
~Mar. '11~ Bay Lake Tower
~Dec. '11~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
purpliequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
michaelwilliammidd
DIS Veteran

Never stayed at GF, but I know all about the appeal of AKL! It will be hard for us to stay anywhere else after our first stay there last year. Headed back in a few weeks for AKL stay #2!!!!!
DL - 6/90 Offsite,WDW - 7/98 Offsite,WDW - 5/01 CBR,WDW - 5/02 CBR,WDW - 7/03 CBR,WDW - 12/03 POR,WDW - 12/04 POFQ,WDW - 12/05 POP,WDW - 9/07 POP,WDW - 12/07 POP,WDW -12/08 AKL/POLY, WDW - 11/09 POFQ/AKL, WDW - 11/10 CSR, WDW - 11/11 CSR Coming up - 11/12 CSR
ME DW DD
michaelwilliammidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
Calgary DISHeads
DIS Veteran

We are doing AKL this Christmas, although DS15 fave is the Poly and DD12 begs for the BC again (purely for the sand bottom pool and beach bingo). I'm sure they'll both love it once we get there, they're both in strong like already just based on our previous visits and pics.

AKL/Portofino Bay CL - Christmas 2009
Poly/Beach Club - Christmas 2007
POP/Hard Rock CL-Oct 2006
CBR - Jan 2003
Disneyland - Jan 1999, AllSS Sept 1996
Disneyland - Sept 1991, Camping at DW 1976

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dhz1q6jullmo0.png[/img]
Calgary DISHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
St. Germain
Earning My Ears

As DINKs, we choose to stay at the GF specifically because we like that there's less kids usually staying there than some of the other resorts. We also actually prefer that it's a bit more formal than the other resorts but still has that Disney touch.
St. Germain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: