Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #31
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

quitting is easier than you think it is.

anyone who says they want to quit, but can't, is lying about wanting to quit.

if they wanted to, they could.

it took me a phone call from my mother's pulmonologist telling me that she had mestastitized lung cancer. almost passing out from the call, i walk outside, light up, look down the shaft of the cigarette as i inhaled and said, "This is going to kill your mother." I quit that day and never looked back. She quit 11 years before diagnosis.

Killed her in just a few months.
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #32
ElementCamper
DIS Veteran

Please make sure your parents are aware to not slip and accidentally light up in the room. The Disney cleaning fee for this I hear is rather hefty.
ElementCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #33
ogreenlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
I used mine in Innoventions sitting right next to a CM. He was amazed lol. There is no policy for it. It's water vapor that disapates rapidly so there's no public risk. In fact that CM plus a few others he had to "show" wished that this was more in the public eye because of the decline risk in secondary exposure.

i didn't know they made vaporizers for cigarettes, too.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post
i didn't know they made vaporizers for cigarettes, too.
Yep that's all it is is a personal vaporizer. you put a little bit of flavored liquid in a filter and there you go. No fire, no smoke just vapor.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #35
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltex View Post
CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional... (insert a bunch of rhetoric that we all know)
Yes, we get that, it's bad for you. This discussion is not centered on it. We are not debating the pros and cons of smoking here, but merely the location and relative ease to find areas within the parks and resorts for which to practice a choice already made.

There's a bit more I can say on this, but I'll leave it alone before I get tossed out . (Suffice to say, I take issues when people force their own personal beliefs in my face)

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #36
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Although I do not think smelling sigarets is a good idea while try to quit, you are right about people will comment on esigarets. First not everyone even knows what it is and you do not want to explain here and there that you are not causing problems, second CMs may ask you to put it away. There was a thread a while ago about CM asked to put away esigaret b/c of other guests questions, even so CM admited he knows those are harmless.
Any person who is truly bothered by secondhand smoke wouldn't need an explanation because it would be readily apparent by smelling that the person isn't really "smoking." Cigarette smoke causes me respiratory problems and I can smell it a mile away. I smell many smokers long before I see them. If I saw someone with a cigarette that didn't smell, I would make the assumption that it's an ecigarette. I could care less what they do with those since it has no impact on me, and I'm not sure why they would bother anyone else.

On the medical front, here's one of life's ironies: my brother (age 55) has been a heavy smoker since his teens. I figured his lungs had to be black and crispy by now for sure. He recently had a ruptured brain aneurysm and developed pnemonia after the surgery. They x-rayed his lungs and discovered they are freakishly large and extremely healthy, which pulled him through the pnemonia. I never, ever, ever would have guessed that. Sure, smoking isn't good for you but genetics play a big role too.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratmomma View Post
When we were there in September we saw MANY people walking around the parks smoking. There were also two guests (both women) in our building at POP that continually smoked in non-smoking areas. One smoked right up on the second floor balcony in front of her room, and another hid behind Baloo and Mowgli and smoked there, near the base of the stairwell. ONE of the staff members surely must've seen them at some point, but I guess the penalties are not being strictly enforced.
!
I saw it at Pop too, many people smoke around, but I blame management, there are too few smoking areas and no shade.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #38
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I think that we should be encouraging the ecigarettes rather than try to keep them out of sight like something shameful. Sure people will make comments but ignorance should never be a factor in this. JMO.

As for the bit about everyone being able to quit and lying when they say they can't, that's a bit presumptuous. Everyone is different and quitting is harder for some people. I once quit fairly easily while DH has struggled with it for years. I believe that it's extremely hard for him and I don't think he's lying at all.

Last edited by Planogirl; 11-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
Any person who is truly bothered by secondhand smoke wouldn't need an explanation because it would be readily apparent by smelling that the person isn't really "smoking." Cigarette smoke causes me respiratory problems and I can smell it a mile away. I smell many smokers long before I see them. If I saw someone with a cigarette that didn't smell, I would make the assumption that it's an ecigarette. I could care less what they do with those since it has no impact on me, and I'm not sure why they would bother anyone else.

On the medical front, here's one of life's ironies: my brother (age 55) has been a heavy smoker since his teens. I figured his lungs had to be black and crispy by now for sure. He recently had a ruptured brain aneurysm and developed pnemonia after the surgery. They x-rayed his lungs and discovered they are freakishly large and extremely healthy, which pulled him through the pnemonia. I never, ever, ever would have guessed that. Sure, smoking isn't good for you but genetics play a big role too.

But the truth is not everyone even know what ecigarette is, I learned about them month or so ago on this board, before I had no idea they exist, so to me it would look like a real thing and so for many others. I recently saw it in a mall and my DD was asking why this person is smoking inside.

BTW, I wonder what is Disney policy on that.

HO HO HO
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #40
BayouMickey

Quote:
But the truth is not everyone even know what ecigarette is, I learned about them month or so ago on this board, before I had no idea they exist, so to me it would look like a real thing and so for many others. I recently saw it in a mall and my DD was asking why this person is smoking inside.

BTW, I wonder what is Disney policy on that.
There is none. As told to me, "As it is not a hazard to others, there are no measure neccesary to restrict the use of an e-cigarette"
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #41
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
There is none. As told to me, "As it is not a hazard to others, there are no measure neccesary to restrict the use of an e-cigarette"
Then why not, still people will give looks and comments but better then sitting and smelling real thing when you try to quit, btw did anyone tried them?

HO HO HO
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #42
ogreenlee

I smoked for 20 years, pretty heavily. I always said I wanted to quit. I finally did when I really wanted to. Of course it's harder for others, but when it comes down to it, you have to want to quit. Not just kinda wanna. "Lying" is a strong word, but in reality, they're lying to themselves. I don't think it's being presumptuous. I've been there.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #43
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltex View Post

The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer, AIDS, traffic accidents and drug addiction.

Ninety percent of lung cancer cases are due to smoking.
If no-one smoked, lung cancer would be a rare diagnosis - only 0.5 per cent of people who've never touched a cigarette develop lung cancer.

Now , there are 2 amazing statistics! and the gov't is more worried about booster seats for kids , but mom and dad can light up right around them.

anyways, when we were there this last trip I went to sit and rest near the end of BTMR seems I stumbled into a smoking area by mistake. I had one of my kids with me and he started the usual tirade about smokers..yes, we are the ones that hate smoking. HOWEVER, I pointed out to him WE were in the wrong and that was their area and if they wanted to smoke there, they darn well could!

I dont like smoking, but I will defend your right to smoke especially when you are following rules!
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #44
BayouMickey

Quote:
Then why not, still people will give looks and comments but better then sitting and smelling real thing when you try to quit, btw did anyone tried them?
Yep puffing on one as I type this in my office at work.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #45
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post
I smoked for 20 years, pretty heavily. I always said I wanted to quit. I finally did when I really wanted to. Of course it's harder for others, but when it comes down to it, you have to want to quit. Not just kinda wanna. "Lying" is a strong word, but in reality, they're lying to themselves. I don't think it's being presumptuous. I've been there.

I think of it as rather than wanting to quit that you have to be willing to go through the often strong withdrawal. I think that my DH gets all gungho to quit (and at least thinks he means it) but then the urges hit him and apparently they hit him quite hard and he waivers. I can't relate, they weren't that bad for me. He cuts back to almost nothing but somehow later falls off the wagon and smokes a lot again. This cycle has been going on for years and I suspect that many others deal with the same thing.

I like this ecigarette because anything that will keep people from actually producing smoke is a step in the right direction IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: