Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb01 View Post
Does anyone know about those e-cigs? Are they allowed in the park?
I used mine in Innoventions sitting right next to a CM. He was amazed lol. There is no policy for it. It's water vapor that disapates rapidly so there's no public risk. In fact that CM plus a few others he had to "show" wished that this was more in the public eye because of the decline risk in secondary exposure.
BayouMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
BayouMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
I believe you should handle those as regular cigarettes...only use them in the smoking areas. I don't know if Disney has an official policy on them or not.
Idiotic thinking, no PP I'm not calling you an idiot, just the idea.
People smoke ecigs to quit smoking. Sending them to the smoking area is like telling a crack addict "We have a cure for your addiction but you have to go get it in a crack house". Ecigs are safe and does not risk others around you. If it's because you don't like looking at it, you can turn away. Just like those hefty men in speedos..
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Idiotic thinking, no PP I'm not calling you an idiot, just the idea.
People smoke ecigs to quit smoking. Sending them to the smoking area is like telling a crack addict "We have a cure for your addiction but you have to go get it in a crack house". Ecigs are safe and does not risk others around you. If it's because you don't like looking at it, you can turn away. Just like those hefty men in speedos..
Oh I know and I agree but you know what public opinion is of smoking today. It's just better to be safe staying in the smoking areas than to risk a confrontation with someone over water vapor...you know?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
BayouMickey

Quote:
Oh I know and I agree but you know what public opinion is of smoking today. It's just better to be safe staying in the smoking areas than to risk a confrontation with someone over water vapor...you know?
Forgive me, I'm not understanding your rationale. You are saying a person should risk temptation of re-addiction because of public opinion?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm not understanding your rationale. You are saying a person should risk temptation of re-addiction because of public opinion?
No...I was talking about not using the e-cigarette just anywhere even though you could w/o harm to anyone else. I was saying to say in the smoking areas because if you were walking around using it anywhere, someone would probably say something to you.

I guess I completely misunderstood your post.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No...I was talking about not using the e-cigarette just anywhere even though you could w/o harm to anyone else. I was saying to say in the smoking areas because if you were walking around using it anywhere, someone would probably say something to you.

I guess I completely misunderstood your post.
Although I do not think smelling sigarets is a good idea while try to quit, you are right about people will comment on esigarets. First not everyone even knows what it is and you do not want to explain here and there that you are not causing problems, second CMs may ask you to put it away. There was a thread a while ago about CM asked to put away esigaret b/c of other guests questions, even so CM admited he knows those are harmless.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
chuckml
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I used mine in Innoventions sitting right next to a CM. He was amazed lol. There is no policy for it. It's water vapor that disapates rapidly so there's no public risk. In fact that CM plus a few others he had to "show" wished that this was more in the public eye because of the decline risk in secondary exposure.
Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!
March 2009--POFQ, December 2009--AKL
September 2010--Pop, September 2011--Pop
Upcoming: August 2014--CR TPV
chuckml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
BayouMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckml View Post
Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!
I REALLY like the Janty Dura-C. It looks nothing like a cigarette (more like an ink pen). They have a long life, many ways to recharge, and their flavors are among the best.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
chuckml
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I REALLY like the Janty Dura-C. It looks nothing like a cigarette (more like an ink pen). They have a long life, many ways to recharge, and their flavors are among the best.
Thanks. I'll check them out right now.
March 2009--POFQ, December 2009--AKL
September 2010--Pop, September 2011--Pop
Upcoming: August 2014--CR TPV
chuckml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
LONES
Mouseketeer

As someone who smokes, I do respect this. I also wish people would respect us too. In other words, don't bring your kids to sit on the benchs in the DSA for a break and then give us all evil looks for smoking near your kids.

(I guess I don't know how to quote!!)

My mother is a smoker, and on our last trip she was in one of the smoking areas having a cigarette. All of a sudden, a woman sitting there with a child said, "Do you mind? My son has asthma!" My mother immediatey put out her cigarette, and then said, "Should he be sitting in the smoking area?" The woman just looked at her all flustered and walked away. I'm not a fan of smoking myself... but I was glad that my normally meek mother stood up for herself.
LONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Good to know we have to include smoking areas in our touring plans as my we are going with DW's family both of my BIL's smoke. My wife there sis made it clear to them you must smoke in certian areas. It is going to be hard for one of them as he works in construction.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #27
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

DH smokes. He insisted last weekend at the Magical Kingdom that there were fewer smoking areas than before. Not sure if that's the case. Just thought I'd mention it. It really does slow down a touring plan when you're traveling with a smoker. DH misses a lot of rides with the kids and we spend a lot of time hooking back up while he goes in search of smoking areas.
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #28
bratmomma
Mouseketeer

Thank you for asking this and for making sure to express to your IL that there ARE in fact DSA and they cannot just light up wherever. I am a non-smoker and my DH smokes (not in front of our children though, so he is used to sneaking away somewhere to smoke).

When we were there in September we saw MANY people walking around the parks smoking. There were also two guests (both women) in our building at POP that continually smoked in non-smoking areas. One smoked right up on the second floor balcony in front of her room, and another hid behind Baloo and Mowgli and smoked there, near the base of the stairwell. ONE of the staff members surely must've seen them at some point, but I guess the penalties are not being strictly enforced.

I agree with the PP who stated that you shouldn't wait for them. Tell them where you are headed and let THEM figure out if there is a DSA near the attraction to which you are headed. They can meet you when they are done or something. I definitely wouldn't want to waste any of my vacation standing around waiting for someone to smoke. Its bad enough I had to wait for the sissy bladdered to pee!! (btw... just kidding on that.. )

Enjoy your trip!

Sept/Oct '05 ASMo
Sept '09 POP

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b51gqsl2qs2.png[/img]
bratmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #29
ltex
Earning My Ears

CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional smoking is a topic very near to me and my practice. Every day I treat smokers who have had heart attacks, cancer, COPD, and strokes directly related to smoking.

If you smoke, please consider quitting. You will never do a more healthy thing for you or your family.

It is very sad to see the destruction of families caused by smoking like I see every day.

Some random smoking facts:

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years.

The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer, AIDS, traffic accidents and drug addiction.

Children who grow up in a home where one or both of their parents smoke have twice the risk of getting asthma and asthmatic bronchitis. They also have a higher risk of developing allergies.

Infants under two years old are more prone to severe respiratory infections and cot death.

Ninety percent of lung cancer cases are due to smoking.
If no-one smoked, lung cancer would be a rare diagnosis - only 0.5 per cent of people who've never touched a cigarette develop lung cancer.
ltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #30
danielle.st
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONES View Post
As someone who smokes, I do respect this. I also wish people would respect us too. In other words, don't bring your kids to sit on the benchs in the DSA for a break and then give us all evil looks for smoking near your kids.

(I guess I don't know how to quote!!)

My mother is a smoker, and on our last trip she was in one of the smoking areas having a cigarette. All of a sudden, a woman sitting there with a child said, "Do you mind? My son has asthma!" My mother immediatey put out her cigarette, and then said, "Should he be sitting in the smoking area?" The woman just looked at her all flustered and walked away. I'm not a fan of smoking myself... but I was glad that my normally meek mother stood up for herself.
Nonsmokers probably don't realize there are smoking areas in the parks, that is why she was probably so flustered about it. I sure didn't. In NY, there is no smoking allowed in any parks or restaurants or anything. It never occurred to me that there would be smoking allowed anywhere at Disney until I would accidentally walk into a cloud of smoke and see ashtray type things. Also, a lot of amokers also are snokers wherever the heck they feel like it, so that probably makes it even more confusing for nonsmokers to figure out where the smoking areas are and where people are breaking the rules.
dd10
POP December 6-13, 2008
POP April 21-27, 2010
POP April 18-23, 2012
POFQ August 2014
danielle.st is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: