Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
jackal
DIS Veteran

Just back from Poly CL

Hi All! Just got back from 10 glorious nights at the Poly. It was as beautiful as ever. We stayed CL this time instead of doing deluxe dining (more on that later). The resort was so nice. Mousekeeping was absolutely wonderful. You should have seen the great towel animals they did. Two were HUGE. One was an alligator on the floor with a stuffed Mickey riding him and the other was a huge elephant on the bed with all our stuffed animals riding it. They were so cute. Plus we got at least 3 other smaller ones. Mousekeeping really was top notch this trip.

We were in the Hawaii building on the second floor. It was nice. We were close to the lounge for food, etc. We just walked out our door to the beach and pool. It was a little more of a walk to the bus stop and monorail than what we are used to being in Raratonga on our last visits.

Food in the lounge was very good. The 5 to 7 offerings were wonderful even though we only used them 3 nights. There was plenty of food for everyone and people were using it as their "meals" but it was OK. the Staff refilled everything quickly. Breakfast offerings were nice - bagels, muffins, cereal, danich, croissants. WE could get beer whenever we wanted it. Bottles of water. Everything was available when we wanted it.

Staff in the CL were excellant with the exemption of one CM. Who I think just had a harsh personality and kind of scared me but she turned out to be Ok.

I just can't believe how beautiful the grounds are at the Poly on every visit. The beach, the pool, the trees, everything was in top shape.

If you remember my story, we were debating between CSR, the WL and finally ended up at the Poly. I am so glad we did. My parents stayed at CSR for 3 nights. We visited them. I couldn't believe how small the rooms were in comparison to the Poly. It just wouldn't work for us. We need the extra space so I am glad we did pass up CSR. The room was nice, but my parents couldn't believe the difference in the two resorts when they visited us.

Now with respect to the CL vs. Deluxe Dining. I have to say we really missed the Deluxe Dining. We didn't take advantage of the Lounge too much because we were in the parks. We hated the Counter Services was got on the regular plan. We are more a deluxe plan family. We like to get what we want, when we want it. Next time, with the whole family, I would skip CL and get deluxe dining. If it was just me and DH, we would do CL with regular dining in a heartbeat.

Now the bad, the only bad was Captain Cooks. Yuck. Awful from the food to the service. Just terrible. I don't remember it being that bad on our last visit. Also, O'Hana for breakfast was terrible service. Just terrible. Dinner was excellant though.

Any questions, just ask away!
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Hi All! Just got back from 10 glorious nights at the Poly. It was as beautiful as ever. We stayed CL this time instead of doing deluxe dining (more on that later). The resort was so nice. Mousekeeping was absolutely wonderful. You should have seen the great towel animals they did. Two were HUGE. One was an alligator on the floor with a stuffed Mickey riding him and the other was a huge elephant on the bed with all our stuffed animals riding it. They were so cute. Plus we got at least 3 other smaller ones. Mousekeeping really was top notch this trip.

We were in the Hawaii building on the second floor. It was nice. We were close to the lounge for food, etc. We just walked out our door to the beach and pool. It was a little more of a walk to the bus stop and monorail than what we are used to being in Raratonga on our last visits.

Food in the lounge was very good. The 5 to 7 offerings were wonderful even though we only used them 3 nights. There was plenty of food for everyone and people were using it as their "meals" but it was OK. the Staff refilled everything quickly. Breakfast offerings were nice - bagels, muffins, cereal, danich, croissants. WE could get beer whenever we wanted it. Bottles of water. Everything was available when we wanted it.

Staff in the CL were excellant with the exemption of one CM. Who I think just had a harsh personality and kind of scared me but she turned out to be Ok.

I just can't believe how beautiful the grounds are at the Poly on every visit. The beach, the pool, the trees, everything was in top shape.

If you remember my story, we were debating between CSR, the WL and finally ended up at the Poly. I am so glad we did. My parents stayed at CSR for 3 nights. We visited them. I couldn't believe how small the rooms were in comparison to the Poly. It just wouldn't work for us. We need the extra space so I am glad we did pass up CSR. The room was nice, but my parents couldn't believe the difference in the two resorts when they visited us.

Now with respect to the CL vs. Deluxe Dining. I have to say we really missed the Deluxe Dining. We didn't take advantage of the Lounge too much because we were in the parks. We hated the Counter Services was got on the regular plan. We are more a deluxe plan family. We like to get what we want, when we want it. Next time, with the whole family, I would skip CL and get deluxe dining. If it was just me and DH, we would do CL with regular dining in a heartbeat.

Now the bad, the only bad was Captain Cooks. Yuck. Awful from the food to the service. Just terrible. I don't remember it being that bad on our last visit. Also, O'Hana for breakfast was terrible service. Just terrible. Dinner was excellant though.

Any questions, just ask away!
Thanks for your review and so glad that things were better than some of the recent reviews about mousekeeping at the Poly. We loved our stays there in the past.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
MsStinkerBelle
Hittin' WDW Since Space Mountain was 'Coming Soon'

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! I loved our stay in the CL level last December but like you, we're a Deluxe Dining type of family too. So sorry to hear Captain Cooks was so bad. I agree about 'Ohana--dinner is awesome! Breakfast, not so much.

Thanks for the review!

MsStinkerBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Great review - glad you had a good trip.

I think the 'Ohana thing is funny though - we have done both breakfast and dinner more than once -- we are done with dinner - we thought the food was not very good and the service was so-so. We have had great breakfasts there though - so I don't think you can reliably count on one or the other!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you had such a great time. We are staying Poly CL in May and can hardly wait. I have read so many negative reviews lately about the Poly. It's really nice to hear something positive. We are actually doing the deluxe dining...like you, we like being able to anywhere we want. We LOVE to eat. Bascially using the CL for the IPO service and quick breakfast. Also, the location really appealed to our family. We are going to try Ohana's for dinner and breakfast...anxious to see how it goes. We were at Disney 2 weeks ago....heard that Kona was horrible, but ate there anyway and had a terrific meal. Guess you never know.

CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 2- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
jackal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Glad to hear you had such a great time. We are staying Poly CL in May and can hardly wait. I have read so many negative reviews lately about the Poly. It's really nice to hear something positive. We are actually doing the deluxe dining...like you, we like being able to anywhere we want. We LOVE to eat. Bascially using the CL for the IPO service and quick breakfast. Also, the location really appealed to our family. We are going to try Ohana's for dinner and breakfast...anxious to see how it goes. We were at Disney 2 weeks ago....heard that Kona was horrible, but ate there anyway and had a terrific meal. Guess you never know.
CL staff did everything in the power to get us what we needed. My DH on the second to last day explained to them they we got so many great towel animals, but each time it was time for DD6 to get a small one to take home, she got one of the huge ones that we couldn't take home. DD15 got the smaller ones. They rotated turns. So, that night we had 3 small animals waiting in our room when we got back. They were all very friendly and helpful with moving reservations, getting us birthday buttons, etc.

The breakfast offerings were great on days that we didn't have a TS ADR. But I would not go again with the deluxe dining plan. It just offers so much more freedom and no worries counting credits, etc. CL was great but I would save the money and stay in a regular room with deluxe dining next time.

We loved O'hana dinner so much we were going to eat there twice on the trip but ended up in the lounge instead. If we had the deluxe plan, we for sure would have done it twice and maybe even three times

Our location was great. It was nice walking right to the beach from our room in a few steps.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Glad you enjoyed your stay.
We've been staying CL since 2003. It feels like a second home to us, the CMs are so friendly and helpful.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
skeeterfoot
Mouseketeer

poly club

Great review. I was concerned because of mixed reports. Will be at Poly CL and BWI CL in December. Very, Very excited. My daughter and I stayed at Poly CL two years ago and it was heavenly. Staff was outstanding. Went out of their way to make certain my DD and I had all we wanted or needed.
skeeterfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
jamie@dvcstore
DIS Veteran

Hi jackal,
Thank you very much for your trip report and glad to hear that you had a great time. The Poly in my opinion is one of the best Disney resorts. The grounds are really beautiful and the resort has a wonderful feel. Of course it does not hurt that Ohana and Kona,two of my favorite restaurants, are located there. Thanks again for sharing.
________
MAGAZINE M83 ONLY AIRSOFT ELECTRIC

Last edited by jamie@dvcstore; 04-30-2011 at 05:08 PM.
jamie@dvcstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Sounds like it was a great trip. We tried Captain Cooks when we stayed at the Poly in May, I remember it not being anything exciting.

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting your review.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:

Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay.

I would be willing to bet I know the CM of which you speak--be assured, she really is a great person--just as you said a gruff appearing personality.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Thanks for the review! I'm glad your trip went well.

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
jackal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay.

I would be willing to bet I know the CM of which you speak--be assured, she really is a great person--just as you said a gruff appearing personality.
Thanks, Tess. I don't want to name her name here because she did help me out and I thought to myself afterward that she wasn't so bad after the initial meeting. Her name starts with a B and is actually a very funny name for her personality. Do you know who it is???

She just stood out to me because everyone else was so bubbley and sweet.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Thanks, Tess. I don't want to name her name here because she did help me out and I thought to myself afterward that she wasn't so bad after the initial meeting. Her name starts with a B and is actually a very funny name for her personality. Do you know who it is???

She just stood out to me because everyone else was so bubbley and sweet.
'nuf said--I knew I would be correct. . . She really is a great gal though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: