Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #91
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
I've played that course before...

Man, I wouldn't even consider walking that area in that kind of heat...you look like you jumped in a pool after about 45 minutes
Bob was talking about how the course was is such rough shape. I was in awe at how nice it was. Compared a course that has to suffer through a Wisconsin winter every 6 months, this was like playing Augusta National.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #92
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

I'm impressed you found an excuse to play golf. I usually can't get away when we have the kids with us.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #93
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Day 8 - Oct 15 - Madison's 5th: Magic Kingdom / 1900 Park Fare, Part 1

Unfortunately now, we're a full month removed from the events that occurred on this trip. Some of the details may be lost to the fog bank that is my memory, but I'll do my best. Other things I'll just make up completely.

Facebook, 10/15/2009, 6:47am: Today is Madison's 5th Birthday. She has an appointment at the Bibbity Bobbity Botique this morning. Evan's been asking for 3 days to ride Goofy's Barnstormer again, so I think we'll be doing that a few times while the girls to their girly stuff. Dinner with Cinderealla and Prince Charming this evening at 1900 Park Fare.

Unfortunately, Grandma and Grandpa - along with Bambi's brother - are in the middle of remodeling their house. Today was the only day at Grandma and him could meet with several of the potential granite counter people. Just about the time we got to MK, she had to leave. She would meet up with us again later in the day.

Madison's appointment was at 11:00am, and we arrived about 9:30 or so at the Magic Kingdom. Madison was dressed as her favorite Princess of the day (it changes daily!), Jasmine.

Funny side story here. We were down last March and waiting outside of Akershus to be seated. Madison is across the path looking at one of the gift shops at some Jasmine costumes. All the ones that they had were too small for her. She takes one, walks up to a Cast Member working there and asks if they have this in her size! She was 4! How's that for a natural born shopper?

Anyway, Grandma and Grandpa got her the outfit this past summer, so this trip was the first time she got to wear it. We found the sandals (you can see these in a later picture) at Wal-Mart for a few bucks, and they look like they were custom made for the costume. The crown was found earlier in the week at Downtown Disney to complete the look. She loves the way all of the jewels tink together when she walks!

After a quick picture in front of the castle, we headed off to Adventure land to ride Aladdin's carpets. The rest of the family got loaded and I walked around to get some nice pictures of them flying. Who do I find behind the carpet ride, but Aladdin and Jasmine. Deciding that Madison might want her picture taken with Jasmine, I get in line. The attendant immediately closes the line behind me. Perfect timing. But holy heck was this line hot! There was no shade while waiting in line, it was only 10am and already in the upper 80s.
Jasmine told Madison that she was just like the little sister that she always wanted, and told Madison that she should introduce herself to everyone today as "Jasmine's little sister". Madison being Madison, she did. Every chance she got.

We had kind of decided that we would go easy on the characters today and try to focus more on the rides and attractions. As we walked from Adventure Land to Frontier Land, we saw Jessie and that plan was out the window.

By now it was getting close to Madison's appt, so we headed towards the castle. Silly us, we forgot to get Splash Mountain Fast Passes. We had time to ride the Carousel and get a quick picture with the Fairy Godmother, who was just outside the castle near Cinderella's Wishing Fountain.

Taking a quick break to admire the statue before her appointment.

Bambi and Madison headed into BBB, Grandpa went off do browse some shops, and Evan and I headed towards Toontown to ride the Barnstormer. After a front-row seat on the coaster, we climbed aboard the Walt Disney World Rail Road to go back to Frontier Land and Splash Mountain Fast Passes. Evan was, of course, in love with the train ride. We got the Fast Passes and rode back to ToonTown for another ride on the Barn Stormer.

Meanwhile, back at the BBB, Bambi was snapping pictures like crazy.

A little pixie dust in the hair

I think some of the pixie dust is still in her hair! (And the aforementioned sandals)

And showing off her "Birthday Princess" Sash with her Handsome Prince

Coming up next: the Rain, the Runaway dog and the Restaurant.

Last edited by FreezinRafiki; 12-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #94
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'm impressed you found an excuse to play golf. I usually can't get away when we have the kids with us.
It helps when you can use your wife's father as an excuse. "But honey, he's been so busy at work, that he hasn't been able to enjoy himself at all. Think of your dad's well being. I don't really want to go golfing, but I'll make that sacrifice for him."

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #95
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Oh my gosh! So sweet!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #96
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Oh my gosh! So sweet!
She was loving every minute of it!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #97
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Day 8 - Oct 15 - Madison's 5th: Magic Kingdom / 1900 Park Fare, Part 2

Remember when I said that there would be stretches where my memory has failed me? Now is one of those times. The timestamp on that last picture was 12:01. The next picture I have is from the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, timestamped 3:23. I have no video from that time, and didn't do any Facebook updates. Soooo....
I do know that we ate lunch somewhere. We usually do that about this time of day. There is a charge on my Disney Visa statement for this day from Pinocchio's, which is the closest CS restaurant to BBB, so we probably ate pizza.
I do know that Bambi, Madison and Grandpa went over to ride Splash Mountain again, and that Evan and I were killing time. We got FastPasses to Big Thunder Mountain, and were then walking past Pirates of the Caribbean and saw the wait was 5 minutes. I asked him if he wanted to go on it, and he got very excited. The 5 minute wait must have been how long it took us to walk to the boat, because we didn't encounter any line and walked right to the front row of a boat. He loved it - the boat ride, the animatronics, the cannon blasts, everything.
We met back up with the rest of the family and did the Country Bear Jamboree again. And again, the kids loved it.
By the time that was over, it was almost 3:00, and we were right along the parade route in Frontier Land. We staked out a spot and then several things all happened at once.
It starts to rain. It feels sooo nice since it's been so hot and muggy all day. We don the ponchos what we brought and stay relatively dry, as it's not a torrential downpour (yet).
Second, Grandpa disappears and comes back with ice cream. This isn't very noteworthy except to illustrate that I like ice cream.
Third, Bambi gets a call from her mom, who, along with Bambi's brother, had stopped back at the house to let the dogs out before joining us back at WDW. If you don't recall the foreshadowing that I did in post #11, let me refresh your memory:
Quote:
The problem is, Evan and I (and to some extent Bambi's Dad) are about the only males that Pepper trusts. [Side note: remember that last sentence. It's a bit of foreshadowing.] Something must have happened to him before we got him, because he is very scared of men.
Well, Bambi's Brother, being a strange male, must have spooked Pepper. Grandma was letting the dogs out the front door to do their business, and Pepper takes off.
Another side note - he's done this before, once. We were up at my brother's farm with Pepper after only having him a few months. Another one of my brothers opened the house door, spooking Pepper, and he ran away. He was gone for 3 days before I was able to find him and get him home. He learned a lot from those 3 days and now rarely leaves my side.
Anyway, he didn't go far - only 4 or 5 houses away. He would slowly come back towards her, but never get within 10 feet. Luckily, they live on a very quite no-outlet street, so there wasn't much traffic to deal with.
So we're on the phone, in the rain, trying to talk Grandma through getting Pepper back into the house. Grandma had taken the van after leaving MK that morning, so I had no way to get back and help.
Eventually, using a combination of treats and his best friend Allie, they were able to coax him into the backyard and into the back door. Crisis Averted. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Disney trip report:
I seem to remember the parade starting in Frontier Land and working it's way to Main Street, but it was getting well after 3:00 and there was no parade in site. We were thinking that it was canceled due to the rain. We did see a little black tractor heading down toward the castle, which was interesting. Even with the rain getting harder, we did see the parade coming from the castle area.

You can kind of see how hard it's raining by looking in the tree above Jiminy Cricket's head.

And how lucky is Mary Poppins that her costume includes an umbrella?

And then we get too see why that little black tractor went chugging by earlier. I guess even Disney floats have technical difficulties every once in a while.

The parade ended and the rain let up. We decided to do take Madison on BTMRR again while Evan and Grandpa played at the little playground under the WDWRR station. Just as we were about to get on ride, it was shutdown due to "lightning in the area". We waited, and waited and waited. We were told that we could wait or leave. I was pretty ticked that they had already taken our Fast Passes and would not reissue them. I couldn't get enough cell service in the loading area to check the radar, so we left it up to Madison if she wanted to wait or leave. She wanted to wait, so we did. After about 10-15 minutes, we climbed into a ride train to the thunderous cheer of everyone else waiting. Madison felt like a rock star.

After we got off BTMRR, the rain started again, and it was heavy.

We swam over to the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, where my texted joke evidently wasn't funny enough. We came out of that to see that it was still pouring. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin was closed to "technical difficulties" and we didn't want to subject the kids to Stitches Great Escape. We still had a couple of hours before dinner reservations, but there wasn't anything we felt like doing in the rain at MK. We made our way out of the park and over to the monorail for the ride to the Grand Floridian.

Fresh off her dog-wrangling adventure, Grandma caught up to us here. We were about an hour early, but I checked in and got my pager hoping we could get in. Luckily, there was a TV with old Disney cartoons to sort-of entertain the kids and a nice plush couch in the lobby to keep us comfy and well-rested after a day in the park.

About 10 minutes after our ADR time we had our photo taken and were seated. I'll never know why CRT is the only restaurant that includes your picture in the cost of the meal. They came around 1/2 way through our meal to show us the picture. It was nice, but not $29.95 for a few 5x7s nice.

We had taken the kids up to the buffet to get their food and get them settled in eating before we went. Just as we got the kids sitting and eating, Cinderella came over.

By this time, Evan was very hungry and shoveling down his Mac & Cheese. He refused to get up for a picture, so Bambi "assisted" him. Helpful hint - if you want to keep your fingers intact, don't get between Evan and his Mac & Cheese.

Prince Charming came over a little later. Evan was still eating his Mac & Cheese.

By now Evan was pretty sick of having to leave his food for pictures. But these are family memories, darn it! Lady Tremain.

Anastasia

Drizella

The Royal Waltz

The food was fantastic. I'm sure there are foodie TRs out there that royally pan this food as mediocre at best, but I'm not one of those people. This food was good, and the strawberry soup was out of this world. I think I had 3 bowls.

Overall, Madison's 5th birthday went quite well, despite the rain. She had a blast, and that's all that matters. Another drive back to the house and we all crawled into bed.

Tomorrow: Evan's 3rd Birthday at DHS & Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Last edited by FreezinRafiki; 12-01-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #98
Disneymoon09
DIS Veteran

By the way, Evan may or may not be flipping you the bird in the anastasia picture. I'm juuuust sayin! LOL!!

Dec 1996-Offsite (Give Kids the World Grounds)
Dec 2009- All Star Movies
Sept 2011 - POP
Nov 2013 - ASMo with BFF for Gingerbread 5k at GKTW!
Nov 2013- Beckett's First Trip!
May 2014- POP, leaving the kid at home!
Nov/Dec 2015- Hoping to rent DVC points at AKL

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #99
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice updates barry!!! we havent eaten at 1900 in a long time. they had good prime rib years ago. we were there on the 15th and i couldnt figure why i didnt remember the rain? than it dawned on me, i was napping at okw during the 3pm parade! i havent seen a 3pm parade in years!!! nice pics, love dd at the fountain!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #100
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymoon09 View Post
By the way, Evan may or may not be flipping you the bird in the anastasia picture. I'm juuuust sayin! LOL!!
Oh man. I can't believe it. I'm the king of dirty jokes and double entendres, and I missed that one! On my own son. I feel shame.
But Evan is getting a cookie tonight because daddy is so proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nice updates barry!!! we havent eaten at 1900 in a long time. they had good prime rib years ago. we were there on the 15th and i couldnt figure why i didnt remember the rain? than it dawned on me, i was napping at okw during the 3pm parade! i havent seen a 3pm parade in years!!! nice pics, love dd at the fountain!
It was raining hard, but at GF, Bambi's mom said it was clear skies 30 miles away in Lakeland. Sounds like Wisconsin weather.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #101
Disneymoon09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh man. I can't believe it. I'm the king of dirty jokes and double entendres, and I missed that one! On my own son. I feel shame.
But Evan is getting a cookie tonight because daddy is so proud.

It was raining hard, but at GF, Bambi's mom said it was clear skies 30 miles away in Lakeland. Sounds like Wisconsin weather.

Haha I love that picture! It fits right in with you saying that he was getting reallly tired of taking pictures lol. He was just trying to tell you how he felt about it!

Dec 1996-Offsite (Give Kids the World Grounds)
Dec 2009- All Star Movies
Sept 2011 - POP
Nov 2013 - ASMo with BFF for Gingerbread 5k at GKTW!
Nov 2013- Beckett's First Trip!
May 2014- POP, leaving the kid at home!
Nov/Dec 2015- Hoping to rent DVC points at AKL

Old 11-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #102
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. It seems the reviews for 1900 PF are getting better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymoon09 View Post
I couldn't resist going back to look!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Last edited by praisehisname; 11-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #103
itJeff
I'm just not so sure how well this plan was thought through.

Quote:
Well, Bambi's Brother, being a strange male,
I hope he doesn't read this!

Great pics, again! You have a beautiful princess. Our daughters also LOVED the BBB. DD7 asked if they were going to go there again this next trip. I haven't figured out yet how to tell her no.

Can't wait to read some more...
Dis Dad's Club Member #367

We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy. My Pre-Trip Report (Updated 5/18)

2001 FW Cabins - 2007 CBR - 2010 POR
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #104
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

[QUOTE=praisehisname;34358673]I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner. It seems the reviews for 1900 PF are getting better and better.

I try not to put much stock into reviews. It's just people's opinions. For the most part, if I don't have to cook the food, it's good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itJeff View Post
I hope he doesn't read this!

Great pics, again! You have a beautiful princess. Our daughters also LOVED the BBB. DD7 asked if they were going to go there again this next trip. I haven't figured out yet how to tell her no.

Can't wait to read some more...
Thanks. I'm probably in the same boat - she'll probably expect a trip to BBB every trip. Yikes!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #105
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Day 9 - Oct 16 - Evan's 3rd: Hollywood Studios, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Part 1

As I mentioned in my introduction, we have a unique situation in our family. The kids' birthdays are literally back to back. So the day after Madison turned 5, Evan turned 3.

Facebook, 10/16/09 7:12am: Evan's 3rd birthday today. Going to Hollywood Studios during the day. Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge hotel. If you've never been there - let's just say there's nothing "whispering" about it. I'll post some video when I get back.

Ummm...I'm still working on the video, so let's just ignore that part for now, mkay?

So, with all 3 dogs securely in the house we loaded up the van and headed up I-4 toward Disney World once again. I should mention that part up getting everything ready in the morning includes switching the kid's car seats around. Since our "normal" configuration is having the kids in the 2nd-row captains chairs, it's a special treat for one of them to sit in the back with Grandma. Each day we would swap the seats around. It's the little things in life, right?

We got through the turnstiles just as the little Rope Drop show was ending and the crowd was pushing back to Toy Story Mania. Grandpa grabbed our tickets and headed back to get FPs. Evan and I would take our time heading back that way to join him while Bambi and Grandma took Madison on another new ride - Tower of Terror.

I'll admit it - I didn't think she would do well on this ride. While she is a huge thrill junkie, she is easily scared. I thought she would freak out in the library when it went dark. Bambi disagreed and thought she would be fine, so the three of them headed off in that direction.

By the time Evan and I got back by Toy Story Mania, line to get FPs was easily 200 yards long - past One Man's Dream. We spotted Grandpa up at one of the machines and waited back off to the side.

That's when we ran into this guy, which has peaked Evan's interest in Green Army Men ever since:

We headed back over to ToT to catch up with the girls. Madison came off the ride with a gigantic smile and a little extra bounce in her step. She didn't have a problem with the scary stuff and really enjoyed the ride. Now every time we're in an elevator that gives a little bounce when it stops, she giggles and says "Just like Tower of Terror". So, as I'm contractually obligated to do by the terms of our marriage:
Bambi - you were right.

We had a few minutes before Buzz and Woody would come out for character meet & greets over by Toy Story Mania, so we sat down to sweet roll. Good, but a little over cooked.

In talking to a few people on Facebook, it seems that the Buzz & Woody meet & greet area is a bit of a secret. It's directly across the path from Toy Story Mania, inside a nice air conditioned building. They theme the queue area with props from the movies to give you something to do while you wait. We got there early enough that there was hardly any line, though.

And finally, the Toys themselves:

Just as we got outside from seeing Buzz and Woody, three Green Army Men were outside with the crowd. They announced that they were recruiting for a special mission, so my kids being as shy as they are () immediately followed them and got in line.

They went though some basic training type stuff, and then the commander asked the other 2 to strike classic Green Army Man Poses. Here we have the one on the right doing the Mine Sweeper and the one on the left doing the grenade thrower.

They then switched to the bayonet (right) and binoculars (left)

Finally, the King Kong (right) and American Idol (left)

I believe we then rode Toy Story Mania for the first time that day. I forgot to take a picture, but I scored somewhere in the 190,000 range. Evan and Madison both got some points too: Evan was around 1000 and Madison around 4000. Both did it on their own with no help.

After Toy Story Mania, the family headed over to the Animation Courtyard for some Playhouse Disney character meets while I ran for Rock & Roller Coaster Fast Passes.

Jo-Jo and Goliath

Leo and Annie (from the Little Einsteins)

June and Quincy (also from the Little Einsteins)

Handy Manny

Our timing was great finishing up with the characters just as another Voyage of the Little Mermaid show was about to start. It's a nice show and the kids really love it, but I'm indifferent. It's a nice show to see, but it bugs me that they have a few songs from the beginning of the movie, and then "fast forward" through the movie with little clips and sound bites and then all of a sudden, it's over. It's like they tried to squeeze the entire movie into a 20 minute show and just ended up leaving too much out.

After the show, we left the kids with Grandma & Grandpa to go over to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground while Bambi and I tried to make it across LA in a stretch limo to catch the Aerosmith concert. We both love this ride, but Madison was a little upset that she's not big enough yet. Keep eating your vegetables, kid. You'll get there.

Meanwhile, over on Grandma & Grandpa's camera:
Does anyone actually remember film? Shouldn't Disney replace this with a 30' SD card to slide down?

Evan's Favorite, the Super Soaker

Coming up next: More characters (duh), Madison makes her directorial debut, and Dinner at WCC.

Last edited by FreezinRafiki; 12-01-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: