Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
Jamie77
DIS Veteran

This TR is great! Subscribing.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #32
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Great update!! Our trips always start with family time since my DW's cousin and grandparents live close to Orlando. We love searching for geckos too. Why do they always like climbing up screens?

The kids looked like they had a great time in the pool too!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #33
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

well at least its a lizzard and not a snake!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Think I'll finish mine before you finish yours?
Probably.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #35
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

What a great day of relaxing and unwinding from the drive!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
erika412
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OK, here's what you do. Go to your local humane society and get the biggest, uglyest, slobbery-est mangy old mutt that they have. Bring him home and present him to your wife. If all goes well, she'll be begging you to return him. If not, well, you can always win the "uglyist dog in the neighborhood" contest.
I wouldn't turn away the dog! I kept Middlepat after all!
95 Disneyland
2001 AS Movies
2005 WL
2007 POFQ
2009 Poly
Celebrating Megan's Kidneys TR
Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #37
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Based on depressed look on Pepper's face a few minutes later, I'd say Bambi came out ahead on that one.

Her face also says
" I lost that round please be nice to me and give me a cheese ball or two or three...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #38
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
Um... Hello....Innocent bystander here....
no your not!!! just go down to the spca and get a dog.i have learned along time ago 2 words, yes dear!! and it made my life alot easier. for as long as there is no dog, she will allways have the last word,"well, you wont let me get a dog"!! they are great, feed them and rub there belly and they will love you forever!!!! almost like my wife has me trained. no wait.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #39
lynn71092
DIS Veteran

Subscribing!!
Great pictures and I love the dogs!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #40
coffeehousemom
Mouseketeer

Um well kinda there we are actually on the Iowa/ Illinois border. 10 minutes either way & you can be in a different state. Platteville area. We have tried for years to catch a gecko. hmmm maybe we should take the dogs next time. Reggie & Val might corner one for us. That pool looks wonderful.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #41
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

You can have some of the lizards that have invaded my fence if you want them...(my wife has told me about them, they gross her out, and of course, I am not there to transport them to other areas)

Relaxing on a vacation---what a novel idea...wish I could get around to that

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #42
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie77 View Post
This TR is great! Subscribing.
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Great update!! Our trips always start with family time since my DW's cousin and grandparents live close to Orlando. We love searching for geckos too. Why do they always like climbing up screens?

The kids looked like they had a great time in the pool too!
They loved it. And at 90° outside, so did I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
well at least its a lizzard and not a snake!
DW hates snakes. That's what makes the Animal Kingdom day so much more interesting! Stay tuned for that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
What a great day of relaxing and unwinding from the drive!

Denise
I'm not sure I could go from 22 hours in the van to 10 hours in a park and not get arrested. The "wind down" time really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika412 View Post
I wouldn't turn away the dog! I kept Middlepat after all!
You can probably find a collar for him... Ah, never mind. If you haven't left yet, enjoy your trip! I would love to read two TRs when you get back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post

Her face also says
" I lost that round please be nice to me and give me a cheese ball or two or three...
We've gotten lucky with these two dogs - so far they haven't begged for food in the car. Don't get me wrong, if a crumb hits the floor they'll down it before you can blink, but they don't beg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
they are great, feed them and rub there belly and they will love you forever!!!!
Hey, just like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn71092 View Post
Subscribing!!
Great pictures and I love the dogs!!
Welcome and thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehousemom View Post
Um well kinda there we are actually on the Iowa/ Illinois border. 10 minutes either way & you can be in a different state. Platteville area. We have tried for years to catch a gecko. hmmm maybe we should take the dogs next time. Reggie & Val might corner one for us. That pool looks wonderful.
I've only been to Platteville once. It wasn't enjoyable, but it wasn't Platteville's fault. I had a friend who was a single mom of 2 young girls, and she was moving from La Crosse to Platteville. A friend and I helped her by loading up her Uhaul, driving it down, and unloading it for them. The Uhaul had no radio and the driver's seat had warn down to basically a 1" round metal pipe. I drove that thing 3 hours each way, and walked funny for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
You can have some of the lizards that have invaded my fence if you want them...(my wife has told me about them, they gross her out, and of course, I am not there to transport them to other areas)
Just call in the heavy air support! An AC-130 slowly circling overhead should scare those lizards away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Relaxing on a vacation---what a novel idea...wish I could get around to that
That's why we planned 2 weeks! We're not going to be able to get away with that again for quite awhile!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #43
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Day 4 - Oct 11 - Coronado Springs & DTD

Sunday rolled around and it was still hot. The kids were probably awake for about 10 minutes before they were in the pool. Bambi's parents had to work again today - their "vacation" didn't start until the next day. We had planned another low key, relaxing day. But we've been 40 minutes away from Disney World for the past 3 days, we couldn't just stay away completely.
One of the "perks" of being DVC members is that we can "pool hop" or use the pools at other resorts. Yes, I realize that there are stipulations like you have to be staying at a DVC resort at the time. We would check-in in a week, so that's probably close enough. Besides, we were going to spend some money too so it all works out.
I have read some pretty glowing reviews of the Coronado Spring Resort here on the DIS, so we decided to drive over there and check it out. On the way, we need to stop by Bambi's brother's house so I could fix his computer. (Ah, family tech support ). His CD-ROM was not reading disks. I put a disk in and it worked.
So, we were on our way again. I had my reservations about this place, as is the conference center resort. But, wow, is it beautiful. Wonderful buildings, immaculate landscaping, and of course the friendly Disney service. Our first stop was the fountain where the kids each had to toss in a penny. Since Disney donates all of the fountain money to charity, can I deduct that on my taxes?

We wandered around Panchitos gift shop for a while before deciding that it was indeed time to eat. We took a quick stroll down to The Pepper Market and were a bit worried by what we saw. It was right around noon, so we expected some people, but there had to be 15 people waiting around by the podium. This was confusing since I could see that easily half the tables were empty. Luckily, it was just a large party waiting for a few more people to arrive. We were seated pretty quickly and starting tying to figure out how to order.

If you've never been here before, it works a bit different than most Counter Services places on property. You get a card to take to any or all of the food stations. You order and they stamp you card with what you had. You get your food, eat, and then present your card to the cashier on the way out.

Bambi took the kids back to the kids station while I went to the main grill to order food for us. I got the quesadilla for me and the Philly Cheese steak for Bambi. I've heard great things about the cheese steak, but it seemed ouf of place to me. The entire resort is Mexican themed, yet they have a cheese steak sandwich as one of their "signature" items. Huh. The grill is open so you can watch the chef prepare the food. He put the meat on the flat top, and then topped it with a litle bit of green chili sauce. Now it all makes sense! Bambi raved about it, and I tried a bite. Had my quesadilla not filled me up, I would have gone back and got one for myself.

Evan had the Mac & Cheese, which he absolutely devoured. I snuck one while he wasn't looking, and yes, it was good.

Madison had the chicken tenders, but there was small problem. We didn't get any dipping sauce. She loves her ranch dressing, so like a good daddy, I went back to the kid's station to ask for some. We also needed another straw, as we lost one already. There was no one in line, so I asked the chef if I could get some ranch dressing and a straw. He said the condiments were available through another station, and pointed to the one with a line that had about 20 people in it. The straws could be gotten from our waiter. I love my daughter, but ranch dressing is not worth that wait.

I got back to the table, and within 15 seconds the chef from the kids station came out with a cup of ranch dressing. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Disney knows how to treat people. He asked if we had gotten a straw yet and I told him that I haven't seen our waitress. He went behind the magic server station and emerged with a straw. It's amazing how the little things like that can really make you remember a place. So Mr. Pepper Mill Kid's Station Chef, If you're reading this - thank you!

Remember how I was concerned about this being a convention resort? Well, it showed here at lunch. For every table full of families having a good time on vacation, there were just as many sullen, downtrodden folks in business-casual attire with nametags and lanyards grabbing a quick bite before their next break-out session. I certainly didn't affect me or my vacatoin, but it does alter the mood of the place.

After lunch we wandered around the resort a bit looking and admiring. We didn't see the alligator that has been spotted there, but did see a turtle swimming around.

A quick stop to admire the local flora

And it was off to the dig site for a dip in the pool.

I've got to give credit where credit is due, and Bambi took this picture. Again, one of my favorite of the trip:

This really is a fantastic pool area. A very large pool so you never feel crowded and the pyramid is very cool. Madison was a bit apprehensive about the slide at first, but I talked her into doing it. Bad idea. She got down the bottom scared to death. I asked if the slide was too fast. Turns out, it was the statue of a Jaguar about half way down that scared her. I tried to talk her into going again, but she wanted nothing to do with that slide again.

We swam for a quite a while, but by this time it was getting pretty close to when Bambi's dad got off of work. He was going to meet us at Disney, so we got dried off and changed. We still had some time to kill, and Evan was dying to ride the monorail. We drove over to the Polynesian and jumped on. Let me tell you, riding past the Grand Floridian wasn't bad, but seeing Cinderella's Castle just a few hundred yards out the window and not stopping and getting out is quite perplexing to the brain.

We got back to the Poly and still had a few minutes to walk around before Grandpa showed up. Disney sure does know how to decorate, don't they?

Grandpa arrived and we set off for Downtown Disney to do a little shopping. Evan was quite tuckered out by this time and slept on me the entire time we were there, as seen here behind Madison catching up with some fowl friends

The rest of the day is pretty low key. We drove back to the in-law's place for dinner. Can't remember, but we probably went swimming.
We tried to get the kids to bed at a fairly decent hour, because tomorrow would be a big day - the Magic Kingdom awaits!

Up Next - A day at the Magic Kingdom - characters, rides, fun - and one depressed little boy.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #44
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice pics!! i like the one w/ dd and the flowers. when we join dd was only 6, she had to go to bwv to go down the clown slide. dd and i crawled up there, i went down the slide and she came down the steps.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #45
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Quote:
After lunch we wandered around the resort a bit looking and admiring. We didn't see the alligator that has been spotted there, but did see a turtle swimming around.
KatMark said they removed the Gator when she was there in September.

I named this turtle Mavis over on the CSR FAQ thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: