Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #31
itJeff
I'm just not so sure how well this plan was thought through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by standleyent1 View Post
I usually drive it straight through as we are too excited to stop but if we do it is usually south of Atlanta so we don't get caught in the traffic there. I have been through Mississippi and through Alabama going through Dothan and I can tell you from numerous trips and experiences the I-40, 78, 20 and 75 route is the fastest, not the shortest by about 28 mi (longer) but you will save about 2hrs going through Georgia. I have learned many new shortcuts and times that you want to avoid that will save you time we have made it as fast as 15 1/2 hrs and not really hauling butt to do it.

When are you going?

I'd love to hear your shorcuts, etc.

We'll be in the world from May 23 - 30. So our travel dates are the 21 & 22 and 30 & 31.
Dis Dad's Club Member #367

We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy. My Pre-Trip Report (Updated 5/18)

2001 FW Cabins - 2007 CBR - 2010 POR
itJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #32
itJeff

We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy. My Pre-Trip Report (Updated 5/18)

Last edited by itJeff; 12-07-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Double post
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #33
itJeff

The big wigs at work have completely messed up my vacation plans. Up until this year the company gave you Thanksgiving day and the day after off, and Christmas Eve and Christmas off.

Now they've decided that Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving are no longer paid holidays. Instead they're giving us two floating holidays, in addition to the one that we already had. So instead of 11 days that I can schedule off, I get 13 days this year.

Okay, so you're probably wondering why this messes up my vacation plans. Well, our trip is planned for May 23 - 30, 2010. This is the week before Memorial day, which is also a paid holiday. Our plans call for us to arrive home on Memorial day. I had planned on taking Tuesday off to rest and recoup. Then Wednesday is my Birthday. I REALLY didn't want to go back to work on my Birthday. I mean, that's the perfect way to end the magic, right? "Happy Birthday! Here's 400 emails to read and 3 projects that need to be done ASAP. Welcome back!"

So, I decided to take one of the new floating holidays on my Birthday. That means I'll be off work from May 22 until June 3. That got me thinking... If I don't have to be back until the 3rd, then the 2nd could be my rest and recoup day... That means we could stay at Disney one more day!

I mentioned the idea to DW. She wasn't as excited as I was. She's worried about the cost. I explained that we could stay the additional night off-site. That would save some. But, she said "Why would we want to pack up twice?" Hmm.... good point. I don't think she's completely opposed to the idea.

I did some calculations, and (if I did them right) it would cost around $150 for us to stay on-site one more night (that includes the dining plan). I need to have the travel agent at AAA figure it to be sure. I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal for one more day to play. I just have to convince DW.

Of course, if we stay an additional day that means I have to re-visit the itenerary. Once I started looking at adding an additional day, I ended up re-arranging several days. I'll need to reschedule some ADRs too. So... now you understand why my plans are all messed up.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #34
standleyent1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itJeff View Post
The big wigs at work have completely messed up my vacation plans. Up until this year the company gave you Thanksgiving day and the day after off, and Christmas Eve and Christmas off.

Now they've decided that Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving are no longer paid holidays. Instead they're giving us two floating holidays, in addition to the one that we already had. So instead of 11 days that I can schedule off, I get 13 days this year.

Okay, so you're probably wondering why this messes up my vacation plans. Well, our trip is planned for May 23 - 30, 2010. This is the week before Memorial day, which is also a paid holiday. Our plans call for us to arrive home on Memorial day. I had planned on taking Tuesday off to rest and recoup. Then Wednesday is my Birthday. I REALLY didn't want to go back to work on my Birthday. I mean, that's the perfect way to end the magic, right? "Happy Birthday! Here's 400 emails to read and 3 projects that need to be done ASAP. Welcome back!"

So, I decided to take one of the new floating holidays on my Birthday. That means I'll be off work from May 22 until June 3. That got me thinking... If I don't have to be back until the 3rd, then the 2nd could be my rest and recoup day... That means we could stay at Disney one more day!

I mentioned the idea to DW. She wasn't as excited as I was. She's worried about the cost. I explained that we could stay the additional night off-site. That would save some. But, she said "Why would we want to pack up twice?" Hmm.... good point. I don't think she's completely opposed to the idea.

I did some calculations, and (if I did them right) it would cost around $150 for us to stay on-site one more night (that includes the dining plan). I need to have the travel agent at AAA figure it to be sure. I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal for one more day to play. I just have to convince DW.

Of course, if we stay an additional day that means I have to re-visit the itenerary. Once I started looking at adding an additional day, I ended up re-arranging several days. I'll need to reschedule some ADRs too. So... now you understand why my plans are all messed up.
Anytime you can stay an extra day at the World you are very lucky!! This is my opinion about what to do with the extra day, why don't you spend it in a water park splashing and relaxing and then have a nice dinner off site or at a resort restaurant, if, you have hoppers then have a nice dinner with a fireworks show to wrap up your trip and have an easier exit. It is always hard for us to go even though we have been running like crazy but a relaxing easy day makes the departure somewhat easier on us not to mention making the drive home not as bad or long. This way you get a day of ease and get to rest up for the trek home!! Also, you won't have to re arrange your plans with the exception of the room rental or dining plan (?).
Just my 2 cents worth.
Have Fun!!
standleyent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #35
Juanaiguana
Mouseketeer

Wow it sounds like you are me and your wife is my husband! He hates to hear about my very extensive planning for Disney! Lucky you to stay one more day in the Magic!! That will give you time to do the things you realllly wanted to do but couldn't get to. There's always one more day of things to do (if not 20) at Disney!

I have 3 girls also and we are very excited about heading back to Disney in May also, first week! We had originally planned on staying at POR but got a super fantastic off site deal...so we are staying offsite, much to my dismay. Oh well! Just means I'll have to go again to stay onsite again!

POP 05/05
All Star Sports 01/08
Off site 05/10

Juanaiguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #36
jundland
Mouseketeer

You're already there, might as well have another fun-filled day with the Mouse. If you are like us, there is always something that we didn't get to do or do again before we left, now you can.

DIS DAD'S CLUB MEMBER #389
1986 off site--2003 ASMovies--2004 POP--2005 ASMovies--2006 CBR--2007 CBR--2008 PORiverside--2009 Poly--2010 BLT

jundland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #37
itJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by standleyent1 View Post
Anytime you can stay an extra day at the World you are very lucky!! This is my opinion about what to do with the extra day, why don't you spend it in a water park splashing and relaxing and then have a nice dinner off site or at a resort restaurant, if, you have hoppers then have a nice dinner with a fireworks show to wrap up your trip and have an easier exit. It is always hard for us to go even though we have been running like crazy but a relaxing easy day makes the departure somewhat easier on us not to mention making the drive home not as bad or long. This way you get a day of ease and get to rest up for the trek home!! Also, you won't have to re arrange your plans with the exception of the room rental or dining plan (?).
Just my 2 cents worth.
Have Fun!!
We're already taking a day off in the middle of the stay to sleep in, hit the beach, do laundry, chill by the pool, etc, etc, etc. We want to do the Chip and Dale Campfire Singalong and we have dinner planned at Whispering Canyon. Sounds like a full day off! But it should be relatively slow paced compared to a day in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanaiguana View Post
Wow it sounds like you are me and your wife is my husband! He hates to hear about my very extensive planning for Disney! Lucky you to stay one more day in the Magic!! That will give you time to do the things you realllly wanted to do but couldn't get to. There's always one more day of things to do (if not 20) at Disney!

I have 3 girls also and we are very excited about heading back to Disney in May also, first week! We had originally planned on staying at POR but got a super fantastic off site deal...so we are staying offsite, much to my dismay. Oh well! Just means I'll have to go again to stay onsite again!
Every time I start making changes to the itenerary and try to get DW's input she kinda rolls her eyes. She says I'll change it 10 more times before we go. Congrats on the off site deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jundland View Post
You're already there, might as well have another fun-filled day with the Mouse. If you are like us, there is always something that we didn't get to do or do again before we left, now you can.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #38
itJeff

Alright everyone (if anyone is still reading?)... remember the family I mentioned in post #16? They told the kids on Christmas that they were going to WDW... and that it was the same time as us. Of course, DD(7) and her BFF are really excited.

So, they came over for dinner last night so we could all talk about our trips. I had recommended "The Unofficial Guide" and the wife also got the Passporter's guide. The husband was joking about how much she had spent on the guidebooks. He said he would have just write the plans on a piece of paper and keep it in his back pocket. Of course I ended up showing them my spreadsheet. It's not as organized as some people's (no names) but it works for me.

Anyway, they had a ton of questions about what the parks were like, what we thought about their resort (CBR), what the character meals were like, where should they eat, what park on what day.... you know, all those important questions that we all have to answer.

I told them about the Crowd Calender on TP's site and the boards and wdwinfo.com. I think I sent them into info overload at one point. While we were discussing what park to do on which day the husband said something to the effect that it was so complicated it was giving him a headache. Of course, we can all identify.

We had a lot of fun telling them about our previous visits, and our plans for this trip. We helped them figure out what parks to do on what day, and we'll be in the same park our first day and their last day. On those days we'll eat a character meal together too. We plan to watch Fantasmic together too. Should be fun!

So, now I just need to get the extra day added to our ressie... and another ADR added. hmmmm..... more choices.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #39
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Our December trip with with some first timers. We got a 2 bedroom villa and they will be staying with us. We gave the mom the "Walt Disney World with Kids" book. She read it cover to cover in about 3 days. We've got the first "planning meeting" scheduled for February.
You'll have to let me know how it goes with the first timers!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #40
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
I must of missed the memo of when this turned into a full PTR.

I'm subbed and ready to go.

You know that now that this is a TR, you have to keep it updated because Don is just waiting for someone to pass his TR Procrastination World Title on to.
You got THAT right!!

Quote:
Yeah, I felt compelled to make it more of a PTR when I found out people were actually reading it. It is challenging to think that I need to come up with an update on a regular basis. I hope that I don't win the TRPWT (Trip Report Procrastination World Title).

Somehow I don't think you could EVER take that title!

I thought I had already sub'd to this PTR?? Anyway... sounds like you've got a good plan. And the extra day! SCORE!! It's always nice to get extra holidays

Sounds like you are schooling that family well! I hope all works out for both of your families.
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Emma's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #41
itJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Our December trip with with some first timers. We got a 2 bedroom villa and they will be staying with us. We gave the mom the "Walt Disney World with Kids" book. She read it cover to cover in about 3 days. We've got the first "planning meeting" scheduled for February.
You'll have to let me know how it goes with the first timers!

3 Days! Wow! Someone is obviously excited about going!
We were kinda nervous about going with anyone else. We are a 'commando' type family (thanks to me!) and didn't want to push our style on anyone else, or have anyone else slow us down. I know, I know.... we shouldn't think that way, but we do.
There are two other families that we know that are going the very next week and 2 weeks after us. We sorta made sure that we weren't going at the same time as them. (I know, we're terrible )

Anywho, when this family told us that they were going at the same time, we decided that it was DESTINED for us to go at the same time as someone we knew!

I think we'll have a lot of fun. They talk like they want to 'go' and 'do' as much as we do... we'll see. We've said all along that we want to take a little slower pace and try to enjoy things a little more... we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
You got THAT right!!

Somehow I don't think you could EVER take that title!

I thought I had already sub'd to this PTR?? Anyway... sounds like you've got a good plan. And the extra day! SCORE!! It's always nice to get extra holidays

Sounds like you are schooling that family well! I hope all works out for both of your families.

I'm trying really hard to let you keep your title.

Thanks for joining us here. I love reading everyone else's reports... I hope I'm not boring anyone with my constantly changing plans.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:

3 Days! Wow! Someone is obviously excited about going!
We were kinda nervous about going with anyone else. We are a 'commando' type family (thanks to me!) and didn't want to push our style on anyone else, or have anyone else slow us down. I know, I know.... we shouldn't think that way, but we do.
There are two other families that we know that are going the very next week and 2 weeks after us. We sorta made sure that we weren't going at the same time as them. (I know, we're terrible )

Anywho, when this family told us that they were going at the same time, we decided that it was DESTINED for us to go at the same time as someone we knew!

I think we'll have a lot of fun. They talk like they want to 'go' and 'do' as much as we do... we'll see. We've said all along that we want to take a little slower pace and try to enjoy things a little more... we'll see.

It's still your vacation - you spend a lot of money to go to WDW and enjoy your time with family. I totally understand not wanting to be "burdened" by another family. We're lucky - my in-laws live down there and we can visit fairly often. We can take the time on this vacation to slow down and make sure they see the things they want to see.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #43
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Jeff? You still around? Haven't heard from you in quite a while...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #44
itJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Jeff? You still around? Haven't heard from you in quite a while...
Hey Barry, I'm still alive. School is keeping me busy this semester. I think I went three weeks without even logging into the Boards!

I've been having to rely on podcasts for my Disney fix. My counter on my desktop says I have 91 days 16 hours 15 minutes and some odd seconds until we leave for Disney!

I hope to be paying the trip off shortly. That will be a relief to have out of the way. Then it's just little things... ya know, like new breaks for the van, possibly new tires, some type of DVD player for the trip in the van. That van sure is costing me alot on this trip.

We started a 'countdown calendar' for the girls. I took a picture of the three of them and Cinderella (from our trip in 2007) and had it printed as a 18"x22" poster at Wal-Mart ($7 + change).

I then carefully cut it into 95 pieces and placed them into numbered envelopes. (yes, I can be a little narcissistic at times) I cut a poster board to the exact size of the poster, and drew a bunch of question marks on it. Each morning they get to place a new piece of the puzzle on the board.

The suspense of knowing what the picture is drives them crazy. So far, they have guessed everything from a picture of Mickey Mouse, to a picture of all the princesses, to themselves dressed as princesses. It should help keep them excited for a little while.

I'll try to remember to post something every now and then so everyone knows I'm still alive.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #45
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
I'll try to remember to post something every now and then so everyone knows I'm still alive.

I know how sometimes life gets in the way with everything Disney.

Good to here all is well.

Love the puzzle idea, very cool!!

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: