Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Mailloux
Earning My Ears

Gift for parents of critically ill child?

What would you send to a parent of a critically ill child to say "we're thinking of you"? The parent is a close business client. I would like to do something different than a basket. The parents live 5 hours away. Any ideas?
Mailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
DSNLvR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailloux View Post
What would you send to a parent of a critically ill child to say "we're thinking of you"? The parent is a close business client. I would like to do something different than a basket. The parents live 5 hours away. Any ideas?
For a business client I would just send a card and let them know you are thinking of them.
DSNLvR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Gosh, I think a basket would be nice. It's really hard to send much else to the hospital. A restaurant gift card might be nice but I doubt the pafrents would want to leave their critically ill child.
A card would be appreciated.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
DSNLvR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
Gosh, I think a basket would be nice. It's really hard to send much else to the hospital. A restaurant gift card might be nice but I doubt the pafrents would want to leave their critically ill child.
A card would be appreciated.
yeah actually I thought the basket/flower idea was a good one. Or maybe not something for the parents but a nice stuffed animal for the child?
DSNLvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Very nice of you to do!

What about a variety of restaurant gift cards? Parents in a "critical" situation often eat on the run - if they eat at all. KWIM???

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

I like the idea for the gift-cards to restaurants. Or perhaps a gift-certificate to a maid service or anything that might ease the day to day chores as there probably isn't much time left in the day for those things. Gas cards would probably be appreciated as well if they are going back and forth to the hospital.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
cydswipe
Mouseketeer

How about single dollar bills for vending machines...

Are they staying at a Ronald McDonald House? I know there is a nightly fee (very small).. maybe you could pay for a few nights. OR have Olive Garden deliver a meal to them..

If the child is tiny, a small blanket/ stuffed animal.

Not to be morbid, but friends of ours who have lost small children cling to the small amounts of "things" their child had...

I used to work in a gift shop/ hallmark store. When people would come in with a hard situation like this, I would direct them to the clinging cross. It is a small, palm size cross that rest in your hand and fingers easily fold over. Lovely prayer went with it... Not sure if that's appropriate for this situation..

Even a simple phone call... even only a message.. more than likely they won't answer to non family members, but they will hear the message... it can be so isolating..
cydswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Minnie's Pal
Wants to float above Castaway Cay with dh

gas cards (those are always helpful...especially if there are a lot of medical trips involved)

cash (for whatever they need)

a good, home-cooked meal (if they live locally to you)

prayers (ALWAYS)

DCL/Wonder (3n) - May 2004
POP CENTURY - October 2010, May 2005 * ALL STAR MUSIC - Nov 2002 * DIXIE LANDINGS -2000
Minnie's Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I second what someone said about the Ronald McDonald House. Do you know if they are staying there? If so you might make a donation to them and send a card with a note saying that a donation has been made in *child's* name to RMD house. I think that would mean a lot to them.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

In my experience working in NICU and PICU most parents wouldn't take the 1-1/2 hours to eat at a sit-down restaurant. It's all we could to to get them to go down to the cafeteria! I think a small basket with a few tea bags, some coffee, some good cookies, crackers, cheese, a small bear and maybe a mylar balloon(no latex--allergies are rampant in the ICU.) Toss in a gas card and an envelope with $5s and $1s. Lot of hospitals charge for parking, so those fees really add up.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
ma2jr
DIS Veteran

One of those digital photo frames that have audio..
ma2jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

A handwritten note will likely be the most cherished at this point in their journey. If you want to include something in with that, I would consider giftcards for restaurants that do carry out or delivery. Assuming they may have other children and are still trying to maintain some sort of "regular" routine? Stopping for Chili's to go one evening may be helpful. If it's an only child, and you're fairly certain their life is inside the hospital at this point, I'd consider a basket of things useful in a hospital setting - like snacks, quarters for vending machine, tea bags, instant coffee like the new Via from SBucks, etc.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

You didn't say, so I'm assuming the child is in the hospital, if so (as a frequent hospital flyer with my daughter), I would recommend calling the Dining Svcs Manager and asking about a "gift card" type of thing for the parents. Even if the cafe. doesn't offer gift cards, most are very accomodating in that type of situation. You could also check to see if there's a gourmet coffee stand (most seem to have them these days) and arranging to do the same type of thing. If either of those won't work, I would second the idea of the basket with things like single bills, snack type foods, maybe a couple of books/magazines and something small for the child. Something else I just thought about..at one of the hospitals we go to, they sometimes arrange for a masseuse to come in and give the parents massages. You could try calling a parlor in the area and seeing if they would be willing to go in and do something like that. It could easily be done in a family waiting room, and it really does feel wonderful after living in/on hospital furniture. Hope this helps..
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!

When our son was in NICU some friends paid for a month's garage pass to the hospital. Would never have thought of it but it was perfect. One less detail to worry about each day.

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
snowy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #15
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Call the hospital and see if there is a way to pre-pay for some of their food (in hospital cafeteria or coffee shop) or parking.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: