Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
robinsegg
DIS Veteran

souvenirs ?

Hi!
If you had to choose 1 type of souvenir for your family to collect (esp. kids age 8 & 10) what would it be:
if on a budget?
if money was no object?
if time was limited?
Thanks!
DD 2009
Baby due 9/2012
robinsegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

On a budget- pressed pennies. My 7 and 10 filled up a book with them last trip. Or autographs- free!

Money no object- I have no idea!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Snowglobes, I also like the disney lenox collection and the disney precious moments.
If on a budget maybe the pins. I also like to make sure I get pictures of the kids and all the characters.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
dizneechic
DIS Veteran

We are all about photographs of special moments, and I am sure Disney won't be any different so we'll snap lots and lots of pictures chronicling our vacation. They will also be collecting autographs at our char. meals on pillowcases to commemorate this trip.

Our spendy souvie we get each time is a limited edition cel from one of the galleries. In the past we have stuck to fab 5 and we may continue with just that or we may venture into movies since we're now doing the our traditional purchase with kids (or maybe we'll do one of each). It all depends on what we see when we're there.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
doclegler
DIS Veteran

Besides photographs, which are really just irreplaceable, I totally agree with the snowglobes. We have made a point to buy one each year we go, but we have it shipped back home. (the globes are in the $100 range) They are so much fun for the kids to look at, and they always have great memories about pieces of them. Plus, GREAT WDW decor all year round!!
doclegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneechic View Post
We are all about photographs of special moments, and I am sure Disney won't be any different so we'll snap lots and lots of pictures chronicling our vacation. They will also be collecting autographs at our char. meals on pillowcases to commemorate this trip.
I'm curious, why autographs on the pillow cases?
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

For on a budget, pressed pennies are great.

On our last trip we did something different. Some of the restaurants (TS and CS) have drinks that come in souvenir cups. We made a point of trying to find the places and then buying the mug with the drink in it. You can't use DDP points for these but, for example, at DHS Pizza Planet and Backlot Express had souvenir mugs that came with the juice/soda in for $4.25. It would have cost nearly $3 for a soda anyhow so I didn't think it was so bad. Epcot has a build your own mug at Club Cool and you can fill it there too - a little more expensive but a more elaborate mug.

Animal Kingdom has various locations with the Animal sports topper cup around $7, but then for the rest of the day it is less than a dollar to refill it.

We didn't even do this for budget, it just became a fun distraction if DD was getting a bit cranky with the stimulation overload so we changed the tune by starting a search for a mug (I did try and find out so that I had locations in mind so as not to draw it out TOO much if she was really thirsty).

I read somewhere about someone who gave her kids disposable cameras and they had contests to find hidden mickeys/drinking fountains. Whoever found one would get their picture taken in front of it with their camera. At the end of the trip if I did this, I would get the kids each a photo album and have the cover autographed by their favorite character with a sharpie marker and they can then put together their souvenir that the spent the trip putting together. Disney is expensive without adding to the cost with extras, but some of the best things - like memories and the experiences we all share - are free.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

OH and the popcorn buckets. I like the diffrent ones each year. I only have three designs but still
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
dizneechic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimalie View Post
I'm curious, why autographs on the pillow cases?
Because they are easier to carry around (esp x 3 kids), and unlike the autograph books that may get tucked away, the pillowcases can get put to use as a decorative item in their rooms.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

If you are going the cheap route, then why not buy the beverage mug at the resort where you get free refills each day. I still have my mug from 2007, and will get another one when I return next year.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, souvenirs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: