Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #91
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway
 
wickey's friend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,760

Thanks for the pictures. I'm down to 42 days, and it CANNOT get here fast enough.

__________________
Kimmar is the Queen!!!!
wickey's friend is offline  
Old 11-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #92
MrsPook
Mouseketeer
 
MrsPook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 105

Thanks for the quick response! So excited for our trip!
__________________
Me DH DS (9.5)
As a family:
~April 2008 - Old Key West
~May 2009 - off-property
~December 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
~October 2010 - Carribean Beach
~June 2-12, 2011 - new DVC owners!!! Animal Kingdom Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower
~December 10-13, 2011 - Old Key West
~May 25 - June 4, 2012 - Boardwalk
~October 22-26, 2012 - Animal Kingdom Jambo House
~May 26-June , 2013 - Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Kidani
~March 23-30, 2014 - Aulani HAWAII
~June 1-4, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge
~currently planning a mega WDW/DCL vacation for June 2015!
MrsPook is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #93
Gooofy-Blade
Kentucky's Goofy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICinMYHEART View Post
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Grannyminnie

The following post was over on the DVC Forum, it was posted on October 31, 2009 Ranger Stan has retired, he will be missed but never forgotten.

Beckie


[/SIZE][/FONT][/color]
My Stan Story from years ago!

My family and I recently had an enjoyable vacation at Walt Disney World. The days were filled with the expected park visits, food, and fun. My six year old daughter met with Mickey, Minnie, and more characters than I could name. (She can!) My hopes and expectations were fulfilled in this year’s visit even though there was some apprehension about the hurricanes and damage. (Disney survived remarkably.) However, I never dreamed my six year old would also gain a simple patriotic lesson of respecting the American Flag.

Our adventure included a stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Simply picture the grand lodge of Yellowstone National Park with the Disney twist. The facility is remarkable in every aspect and the staff went beyond expectations to meet our needs. One particular staff member is well-known as Ranger Stan. Ranger Stan is an icon around the Lodge and I had read about him as I searched the internet for details on the Lodge. He stands proud in his ranger attire and beams with the kind of joy that would make Walt Disney himself proud. While I don’t know his age, I would presume that Ranger Stan is a retired gentlemen who is living his second childhood through his work at the Lodge. He is undoubtedly the most knowledgeable source of any information regarding the Lodge. Through my vacation planning I discovered that families staying at the Wilderness Lodge could request to be the “flag family” for the day. Although not advertised, this privilege is still sought by many. If selected, your family will receive a notice to meet Ranger Stan at the front desk early on your selected morning to begin your adventure. I had a basic idea what may occur but didn’t yet have the appreciation.

My wife, daughter, and I met Ranger Stan early Thursday morning. He immediately connected with my daughter and asked her if she would accept the privilege of carrying the American Flag on our journey. She beamed with delight at the honor and he placed her small hands around the Flag and she held it tight. He then handed the other flags to my wife and I and we began the journey to the top of the Lodge. After an elevator ride and a climb of 66 steps, (Ranger Stan provided the detail), we were on top of the Lodge, beholding the lands of Disney. The view was awesome but it wasn’t our mission. Ranger Stan guided my daughter to the center flagpole and kindly instructed her on how they would work together to raise the colors. He told her the American Flag was in the center because it deserved respect from the other flags and all those who viewed it. My daughter joyfully assisted him in preparing the colors and pulling the rope to raise them for the day. It was then that it occurred to me this was more than simply a gimmick. As we watched the wind unfurl the Flag over the kingdom, I’ll admit, I swelled with pride at what I had just observed. Ranger Stan then asked us to line up and face the Flag. I was expecting a photo-op but he asked my daughter to lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance. She proudly started and he snapped to a salute as we pledged our allegiance. My six year old had just received a valuable lesson in flag respect that too many children and adults have not. In the simple minutes of our adventure with Ranger Stan, she had learned how to carry, honor, and care for the colors. I’m sure she has heard some of this taught in school or hopefully even from me. However, the memories and pictures with Ranger Stan will undoubtedly be the lasting lesson for her.


How many others need the privilege of a few minutes with Ranger Stan? Simply attend a local ballgame and you will find your answer. As we visited for the next few minutes and completed our tasks of raising the other flags, I was able to appreciate the additional knowledge and kind demeanor of Ranger Stan. Later in the day, while swimming in the pool my daughter pointed to the Lodge roof and said, “ Look Daddy, my Flag is still flying!” Yes sweetheart, your Flag flies proudly! While there may be some things about the Disney Corporation that Mr. Disney may not be proud of today, I’m sure old Walt would be thankful for the work of a ranger named Stan.....I sure am.
__________________
"One stay at WL and hooked for a lifetime!"
Gooofy-Blade is offline  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #94
disneydaisyndonald
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north carolina
Posts: 94

First stay at WL

Oh, I am so excited. Thanks to everyone on this thread and the one prior.
I have learned a lot already. Coming to WL in 72 days!! Can't wait!
disneydaisyndonald is offline  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #95
mouskagirlie
Full-time Disney Dreamer
 
mouskagirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1558.6mi nw of the castle
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVEPFOX View Post
This was our first stay at WL and being CL. We enjoyed every minute of it. Once you go CL you can never go back!

The CL floor is awesome, covering the entire 7th floor, very private and relaxing. You need a special door card to access the elevator. Boy, do people stare at you and ask questions when you pull it out. DD was asked what is it like up there... she replied Magical.

The food offerings are great for breakfast. We ate there every morning. In the afternoons I would take the paper coffee cups and fill them with snacks. We would take them to our room or the pool. The evening foods were very nice and plentiful. Cheese, crackers, PB&J, soups, stews, chix, veggies, dip, etc. My fav was dessert time! I became a big fan of Kaluha! Beer is avail in the afternoons, just ask a CM for it.

We requested a bunkbed room and got it. We requested MK view and got it. All of our ADR's were made, DH played golf, everything we asked for we got, we would call WL from anywhere in the parks and talk to a CM if we had a problem. Ask for a card with the desk phone number. Balloons were left one night for DD with a pic of Mickey and a photopass card, turndown service each evening and a candy canoe upon arrival.

One disappointment, Roaring Fork. Man, is that place small!

Long story about CMs and WDW going the extra mile... DD's favorite stuffed animal a bear vanished from the room. We believe it was wrapped up in the sheets by Mousekeeping and sent to the laundry. It was never seen again. She was a wreck!!! I had the entire hotel looking for it, but no luck. I had a "spare" back home in NY. I called my mom to FEDEX it to me since we were getting on the Disney Magic in 3 days and DD didn't want to leave without it. When the replacement arrived, the CM found me at the pool. We sprinked a trail of pixie dust in our room leading to her top bunk (scene of the crime) and left a note from Tinkerbell. Tink said she flew all the way back to NY to get the bear and bring it to Mikayla so she would have it on the ship. OMG!!! DD flipped!!!! She was thrilled. I was upset we lost the animal, but very pleased the way WL CMs handled it. Disney also covered all the shipping costs plus some. Very nice.

We're booked for WL CL in August 2010. Any questions, just ask.

Wow, what a wonderful story about the CM's (Tink) delivering the replacement bear - thanks for sharing it!

Also, thanks for posting the tip of requesting a card with the phone number on it - very helpful!
__________________
DH ME DS 8 DD 6



12/09: YC CL/WL CL (split stay) - celebration trip!
12/08 and 12/07: WL
12/00 and 12/98: CBR





mouskagirlie is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #96
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran
 
grannyminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,817

goofy-blade, your story brought tears to my eyes! Because I have had conversations with Ranger Stan and because I am a proud American who also respects the flag, it had special meaning. I am going to miss seeing him when we return.
__________________
I'd live in the Castle if I could!
grannyminnie is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #97
ugadog68
Conquistador
 
ugadog68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Palmetto State
Posts: 371

We will be at the WL tomorrow

First time staying there!
__________________

DIS Dad Club Member #485
ugadog68 is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #98
FirstTimeGoer
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27

Room for both Pageant and Fireworks?

Is there a better room to get a decent view of BOTH Pageant and MK Wishes? We have a sound sensitive child who will probably enjoy watching both, but from a distance!
Thank you in advance for any answers.
FirstTimeGoer is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #99
Gooofy-Blade
Kentucky's Goofy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyminnie View Post
goofy-blade, your story brought tears to my eyes! Because I have had conversations with Ranger Stan and because I am a proud American who also respects the flag, it had special meaning. I am going to miss seeing him when we return.
Thank you. It was written 5 years ago and published in the newspaper. Stan has a framed copy that his wife proudly displays. He also told me it is posted somewhere in the offices of the WL.

He will be missed... a good friend during each of our visits in the following years after that first visit.
__________________
"One stay at WL and hooked for a lifetime!"
Gooofy-Blade is offline  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #100
LaWa
Mouseketeer
 
LaWa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 96

[
Quote:
QUOTE=TVEPFOX;34214395]This was our first stay at WL and being CL. We enjoyed every minute of it. Once you go CL you can never go back!

The CL floor is awesome, covering the entire 7th floor, very private and relaxing. You need a special door card to access the elevator. Boy, do people stare at you and ask questions when you pull it out. DD was asked what is it like up there... she replied Magical.
My kids are so excited about the WL. It's what they thought our hotel was going to be like in Yosemite this summer. Believe me, the WL CL is much nicer.

Quote:
The food offerings are great for breakfast. We ate there every morning. In the afternoons I would take the paper coffee cups and fill them with snacks. We would take them to our room or the pool. The evening foods were very nice and plentiful. Cheese, crackers, PB&J, soups, stews, chix, veggies, dip, etc. My fav was dessert time! I became a big fan of Kaluha! Beer is avail in the afternoons, just ask a CM for it.
I think it's kinda weird you have to ask for beer. Do they have a selection? Or do you just ask for what you want? Do they have wines available? I only booked one ADR for breakfast at Chef Mickey's for Xmas day. That should be fun.

Quote:
We requested a bunkbed room and got it. We requested MK view and got it. All of our ADR's were made, DH played golf, everything we asked for we got, we would call WL from anywhere in the parks and talk to a CM if we had a problem. Ask for a card with the desk phone number. Balloons were left one night for DD with a pic of Mickey and a photopass card, turndown service each evening and a candy canoe upon arrival.

One disappointment, Roaring Fork. Man, is that place small!
My kids are excited about the bunk beds. And it will free up some floorspace in the room. Both are impossible to sleep with, so I'm glad they will have their own bed. I have to remember to request the MK view.

Quote:
Long story about CMs and WDW going the extra mile... DD's favorite stuffed animal a bear vanished from the room. We believe it was wrapped up in the sheets by Mousekeeping and sent to the laundry. It was never seen again. She was a wreck!!! I had the entire hotel looking for it, but no luck. I had a "spare" back home in NY. I called my mom to FEDEX it to me since we were getting on the Disney Magic in 3 days and DD didn't want to leave without it. When the replacement arrived, the CM found me at the pool. We sprinked a trail of pixie dust in our room leading to her top bunk (scene of the crime) and left a note from Tinkerbell. Tink said she flew all the way back to NY to get the bear and bring it to Mikayla so she would have it on the ship. OMG!!! DD flipped!!!! She was thrilled. I was upset we lost the animal, but very pleased the way WL CMs handled it. Disney also covered all the shipping costs plus some. Very nice.

What a great story about going the extra mile! My daughter would be devastated to lose her "stinky." It's a blanket she has slept with ever since she was a baby. She does not let me wash it - hence the name. We'll have to remember to put it in a drawer each morning. Although if we lost it at Disney, maybe she'd get over having it. Maybe Santa can steal it when he fills up their stocking? (She's not ready to give it up. And although it is disgusting, I still think it's cute.)

Quote:
We're booked for WL CL in August 2010. Any questions, just ask.
See that's what I'm worried about. We'll have to keep going back!!!
__________________
LaWa is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #101
TVEPFOX
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 948

LaWa,

Beer and wine are out after 5pm. They have Heineken and Yueling beer (sp?) and a variety of wines. You can get bottles or cans of beer after 11am if you ask a CM. They will go get you two per person, never asked for wine, don't know if you can get it before 5.
TVEPFOX is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #102
LaWa
Mouseketeer
 
LaWa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVEPFOX View Post
LaWa,

Beer and wine are out after 5pm. They have Heineken and Yueling beer (sp?) and a variety of wines. You can get bottles or cans of beer after 11am if you ask a CM. They will go get you two per person, never asked for wine, don't know if you can get it before 5.
If I could get a beer while the kids and hubby are taking afternoon naps, I will be in heaven!! If I have to wait until 5, I think I will manage. I've never heard of Yuengling beer. I'll have to give it a try.

My trip is really sneaking up on me!! Can't wait.

LaWa
__________________
LaWa is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #103
nathanyell
DIS Veteran
 
nathanyell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 888

10 weeks!

I can't believe it"s on 70 days away!!!!

Staying 1 night CL and then 7 nights in a standard room. Gotta get the CL feel as I've never done it before.

Yuengling is a great beer out of Pennsylvania. They will only ship it so far so many people outside of the east coast have not heard of it. They also brew somewhere down south near Florida. Kind of like Shiner Bock.

Can't wait!!!!

Brian
nathanyell is offline  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #104
hockeybabe
DIS Veteran
 
hockeybabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,137

Does anyone know what Wilderness Pins they have available now (as in the tradable pins, not the code pins )

We like to get one each year of the resort we stay in, so we already have 2, the WL totem pole and the one with Mickey standing next to the totem pole. What is available now?
__________________
WL - Jan 2004
CSR - Sept 2005
WL Jan/Feb 2008

WL Feb 2010
California trip including 2 days at DL/DCA June 2012
WL - Dec 2012
DL/DCA Nov 2014
hockeybabe is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #105
tardin1964
I need it.....
I want it.....
Please........
 
tardin1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 837

We had a great time being flag family with Ranger Stan back in 2005. Here are my two favorite pics of my older daughter with Ranger Stan and the American flag.







It ws a great experience that Ranger Stan made very special.
__________________

Poly 8/79, 8/81, 8/83
GF 8/92
WL 11/03, 11/05, 8/08
DCL 11/10
POFQ 6/11
tardin1964 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2009 Yacht & Beach Club FAQ Thread tete01830 Disney Resorts 3408 04-13-2010 07:17 AM
The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - MAY 2009 CanadianGuy Disney Resorts 3547 03-24-2010 06:32 AM
Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg Alva218 Budget Board 25 11-15-2009 01:27 PM
Sequoia Lodge Montana room???? samantha24 Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board 3 10-30-2009 06:18 AM
New Wilderness Lodge Thread? hmbbears Disney Resorts 7 10-28-2009 09:24 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: