Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #31
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Does everyone realize that one month from today we will be on the boat?!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
DisneyMommaSteph
Mouseketeer

Copied and pasted GTKY

i LOVE our new thred! Come on out everyone! If you're on this cruise...we want to meet you. It'll be fun! Like the others said, everyone posting met on this board (well I met my sister Jen aka DisneyCrunch when
I was born hehe)...so it's not too late to get to chatting so that you can have some "friends" on board. All are welcome....Introduce yourself!

I can't believe it's in a month. Hurrrrrrry up! I need tropical breezes--this rainy day bites...

To recap:
Stephanie, Married to Matt with 3 kidlets: DD 6, DS 3, and DD 13 months

General GTKY…
1. Where do you live?
Connecticut. Born and raised...I've never lived anywhere else. My parents still live in the house that my grandfather helped build, and my dad grew up in.

2. Are you married? How long?
Yep. We have been together for 11 years, married for 7. Our Anniversary is May 11th.

3. Do you have any children? Ages?
We have 3 wild banshees. Our oldest daughter is 6 (march will be 7), our "middle man" is 3 (4 in Feb.) and our baby girl just turned 1 September 14th.

4. Do you have any pets?
Two cats. Jasper, and Harris. I always wanted a dog growing up, but my parents would never let me get one. Now that I'm an adult I think they are too much work... I'm happy with the kitties...but I admit they don't get treated as my "babies" now that I have human babies they've been bumped...

5. What do you do for a living? Work? Stay at home?
I have an AS in Early Childhood Education, and a BA in Psychology. Before kids I was a nanny for years, as well as working in a childcare facility. Ever since the birth of my first I've been a SAHM. I would like to get a part time job here soon...my youngest is still BFing....so maybe a few days would be good....

6. What is your favorite movie?
I typically like chic flicks, or comedies. Armeggedon (sp?) (which is neither of those...lol) is one of my favorite movies. I seldom watch a movie more than once.

7. What is your favorite book?
I'm not a huge reader. As far as recently...I enjoyed My Sisters Keeper.

8. What is/are your favorite TV show(s)?
Let's see...I LOVE CW shows: One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, 90210. How I Met Your Mother, Desperate Housewives, Reality TV: Big Brother, So You Think You Can Dance, Bachelor/ette...basically I can get sucked into most reality TV....with the exception of Surviror. For some reason I can't stand that show. I also don't watch any of the crime/dr. shows.

9. What is your favorite food?
Mmmmm....Food. I LOVE food. Mexican food (well tex-mex) is prolly my favorite, but I also like italian...and SWEETS! Give me chocolate and I'm a happy camper.

10. What type of music do you listen to? Do you have a favorite group/singer/band etc.?
I LOVE music. I love watching live music. What's in my car right now? Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Colby Callet, Aaron Lewis. Basically I like pop/hip hop for dancing...and some alternative, acoustic for relaxing and singing along.

11. Where did you do your schooling from?
I went to a community college, and then commuted to a state school.

12. Do you like sports? What's your favorite football team?
I'm not a fan of watching sports. I'm not all that good AT sports either.

13. How many siblings do you have?
One sister...2 years and 9 months older than me. That's Jen (AKA DisneyCrunch)

14. Did you always want to be a XXX? (your profession)
Yes, I always knew I wanted to be a SAHM, and to work with children before that. If I could hand pick a profession to jump into after the kids are in school (without having to go back to school myself) I'd love to be a labor and delivery nurse.

15. What do you like to do in your spare time?
What's spare time?? hehe...I enjoy going to the movies, out to eat, out dancing....etc. With the kidlets, and this economy I don't get to do that often.

16. Any interesting places that you've traveled to lately?
We went to Old Orchard Beach Maine last month. We go there 2X a year and stay at a hotel on the beach. The kids love it there...and in September we go with Matt's parents, and his Grandmother and Aunt.

17. Any particular cuisines or dishes that you like the most?
I guess I answered that one above...

18. What is your attitude when it comes to money? Are you a spender or a saver?
I'd like to be a saver...but I'm too much of an instant gratification kinda gal. Plus...there isn't much to be saving these days...

19. What does your name mean?
From Wikipedia...lol...
Stephanie is a female name. Stephanie comes from the Greek name "Stefanos" (Στέφανος) meaning "crown".[1] Feminine forms of Stephen in other languages include the Italian Stefania, the Portuguese Estefânia, and the Spanish Estefanía. The form Stéphanie is from the French language, but Stephanie is now widely used in both English speaking cultures and Spanish speaking cultures.

Stephanie - (Greek) "Crowned one" Also, Stephania, Etienette, Stefa, Stefania, Stefanie, Steffie, Stepania, Stepanie, Stephana, Stevena, Teena, and Tiennette

20. When is your birthday?
November 5--we should celebrate on the cruise....

21. What is your zodiac sign?
Scorpio--look out....lol...

22. What are your preferences when it comes to clothes and fashion?
I like to be fashionable...and given an endless amount of money...I could shop for clothes everyday.

23. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Extrovert. I never really stop talking, and I like to be around people.

24. Are you an outdoors person?
I do like the outdoors, I especially love spring and fall....Camping is fun.

25. Are you an adventurous person by nature or do you prefer playing it safe?
I'm very spontaneous, and yes...I guess I'd say I'm adventurous. I'm always up for fun new experiences.

26. How was your childhood like?
Pretty good. Both mom and dad worked, and we always lived in the same house. We did fun things like sailing trips, vacations, camping...etc. I have mainly fond memories....

27. Post a recent picture of yourself....
I'm going to edit, and add when I figure out how....

Disney:
Poly '84, Dixie Landings '94, Fort Wilderness Cabin '99, All-Stars Movie '08

Upcoming!!!! Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2010!!!!!

Cruise:
Royal Caribbean to Bermuda '97, Royal Caribbean to Bermuda (Honeymoon) '02, Royal Caribbean to Bermuda '05
DisneyMommaSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #33
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

I PM'd Nessa a link to the new thread so she can hopefully find us. Wouldn't want to lose our wedding party.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #34
DisneyMommaSteph
Mouseketeer

Let's do another GTKY type thing...

So...we've shared some details about ourselves....now lets share some about our kids/fellow cruisers. I realize not everyone has kids...so I didn't leave it at just that. If you'd like to share some of your own interests/the interests of the ppl cruising with you please feel free!

DH: Matt 33
My hubby isn't much of a Disney fanatic. He went on his first trip to the World with me and my parents (sis, hubby and her first born)..when we were in our early 20's. His second trip was last year with our first 2 kidlets (I was preggers with our youngest) He's been on two RC cruises and liked both, plus his boss is very much into Disney, and DCL...so I think he talked up the customer service. Also (like most parents) he's really excited for the kids to have an amazing time--seeing things through their eyes is AWESOME. This cruise was a gift to us...so of course we're thrilled to be able to go ANYWHERE...and the fact that it's a DISNEY cruise...is the icing on the cake!! He's not much of a sports man (neither watching or playing) he's more the enjoy a nice movie at home/partake in anything water: beach, boat, pool etc./outdoors camping picnicing type. I think he will enjoy sitting on the balcony smoking a cigar, and looking at the water the most during this vacay. That and taking the kids swimming.... and of course...EATING...and having some drinks!

My 6 year old DD is in first grade this year and onto everything Hannah Montana. Sadly she's kids outgrown the whole Princess stuff...but I'm hoping being on the cruise she will still have that little place in her heart that shines through when she sees them. I always joke that she's 6 going on 16 because I can barely even influence what outfits she wears these days. Can someone tell her to slooooow down please! She did cheer for the first time this year...and although she wants to be the extroverted performing type--it's really not in her bones. I am proud to see her come out of her shell more and more as she tries new adventures. She is also into gymnastics, and takes lessons once a week. Overall....as I mentioned above she can be very shy, and sensitive...but of she makes a "friend" or has a familiar face around...it can really make all the difference.

My 3 year old (well he will be 4 Feb. 22nd) is much more social than his big sister. He goes to preschool a few hours a day twice a week, and LOVES it (unlike big sis...she kinda cried the whole time when she was 3...doh). The teachers say he's "like an old man" in that he'll just pull up a chair next to you and start chatting away. He especially likes teenage boys...I think they always are doing something cool...so he approaches them and tries to get them to play with him. Even though he's very social he sometimes has a hard time with peers (what 3 year old doesn't ?) and when it comes to sharing he's either REALLY good. Or really not so good at it...lol...I always say he's my child of extremes. When he's being good (and I am using this term reeeeeeeeeally lightly) he's rrrrrrrreally good...and when he's in a "mood" he can be very challenging. I think he will enjoy the kids activities and I hope he makes a friend...as big sis...and the cousins are in the upper age group.

My ity bity is 13 months...will be 14 months when we cruise. Being the 3rd she's pertty used to going with the flow. I think she's going to LOVE all the characters...and hopefully she'll enjoy Flounders Nursery enough to go a few times. She's never been in a daycare setting...so it's anyone's guess how she'll do. I'm thinking the only way she'll stay asleep there in the evenings would be in a stroller...so we may be trying that if we want an hour to ourselves here and there.... She's pretty new to this whole walking thing...so it'll be funny to see her with her "sea" legs....teehee

I was going to share a pic...but I don't think I have a recent one of all of em together...I'll see what I can drum up...

Share some details are your wee ones/shipmates!!!!

Disney:
Poly '84, Dixie Landings '94, Fort Wilderness Cabin '99, All-Stars Movie '08

Upcoming!!!! Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2010!!!!!

Cruise:
Royal Caribbean to Bermuda '97, Royal Caribbean to Bermuda (Honeymoon) '02, Royal Caribbean to Bermuda '05
DisneyMommaSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #35
Duck Addict
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #36
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In honor of past cruises.

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #37
jd99
DIS Veteran

Ok I'll play

Let's do another GTKY type thing...
So...we've shared some details about ourselves....now lets share some about our kids/fellow cruisers. I realize not everyone has kids...so I didn't leave it at just that. If you'd like to share some of your own interests/the interests of the ppl cruising with you please feel free!

DW - Although she has a DISboard name , she doesn't post here much. But she loves Disney almost as much as I do. She is Greek (I saw someone who likes Greek food) and we are planning to visit the family (aunts, uncles, cousins) next year before a Med cruise as my wife is the only one in the USA these days since her parents passed and she is an only child. She came to our marriage a relatively reluctant traveler - she loved it but always questioned why another trip. But after 15 years, I've broken her down and she is right in the swing of things with me. Ready to hit the road whenever we can. She works part time as a healthcare administrator for a huge medical system - best of both worlds for her.

DD11 - My oldest is the shy one of the two but she is an incredibly smart kid with a great sense of humor. She is way over the princesses - never really liked them at all - but she watches the Disney Channel shows, though she has begun to move toward Teen Nick and other more teenage stuff. She's also the athlete in the family. She is a competitive swimmer and she also takes more than 4 hours of dance every week. She has performed solos the past two years and is in a performance group that actually danced at WDW last June. She's also a daddy's girl, but don't tell her that.

DD5 - the firecracker in the crew. Emotional, chatty and funny too. And sometimes a major pain in the neck. You will hear her coming a mile away. But she helps keep me young, I guess. As an older dad that's a good thing. She loves everything Disney but especially princesses. She wil stand in line 5 times on the cruise - even in her pajamas - to see Cinderella. She dances too and also takes gymnastics and is taking swimming lessons so she can start swimming on swim team with her sister. She is totally mommy's girl. And she knows it.

That's my crew in a nutshell.

Upcoming: Turkey Day Fantasy/ Past: GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x2), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
Old 10-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #38
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

GTKY

DH is a Telecom administrator. He worked his way up in the company starting in quality control, then presystems, then he got into computers, then the phone system. We enjoy camping, riding our motorcycles and all things Disney. He is the quiet one in the family. On our cruise last year we went to the night club and there were 2 comedians. DH is great at keeping a staight face and that drove them nuts. The used him as their straight man, trying to get him to crack a smile and laugh. It didn't work, but they had me hysterical. It was so bad I almost wet myself. We were celebrities on the ship the next day. Lots of people we had never met, as well as some of our fellow disers, who had been there recognized us.
We have talked over the years about going to work for Disney when we retire and the time is getting closer. A few more years yet, but hopefully the time will go fast.
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13Fantasy Thanksgiving/AKLVKidani

Last edited by Disneyholic; 10-28-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #39
msgldv
Earning My Ears

Smile New Disney Cruiser

Hello...I'm on the Nov 28 Magic Western Caribbean cruise . First time cruising with Disney. I'm a divorced mom, age 39, traveling with my two children...daughter, 17, and son, 12. We are so excited! Are there any other single parents traveling with kids? I'd like to meet some single adults to socialize with. My friend @ work is a Disney addict and talked me into taking a Disney cruise this year. She also directed me to this site to meet some of my fellow cruisers. I have cruised before with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I have only heard wonderful things about the Disney cruises and I'm getting more excited as our sail date draws nearer.
msgldv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #40
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgldv View Post
Hello...I'm on the Nov 28 Magic Western Caribbean cruise . First time cruising with Disney. I'm a divorced mom, age 39, traveling with my two children...daughter, 17, and son, 12. We are so excited! Are there any other single parents traveling with kids? I'd like to meet some single adults to socialize with. My friend @ work is a Disney addict and talked me into taking a Disney cruise this year. She also directed me to this site to meet some of my fellow cruisers. I have cruised before with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I have only heard wonderful things about the Disney cruises and I'm getting more excited as our sail date draws nearer.

Hi, and welcome to the Disboards. We are having a board meet on the first day on the ship in the Promenade lounge at 2:45 p.m. Come on out and meet the fellow cruisers. I think there is one single parent in our group. Her friend is the one posting and is also traveling with them. And the DD is much younger than yours. Of course there may be more people lurking that we're unaware of.

So welcome to the group and feel free to post any thoughts, questions or just tell us about your day. We're a pretty easy going group.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #41
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
talk about chafing!

And okay, I'll jump in with the GTKY stuff some more.

Me - Mom, Wife, Compliance officer, Girl Scout leader. That about sums it up. No time for anything else. I work in NYC. Love the environment, hate the commute. Love to camp, especially FW.

DH - Stay at home dad due to being disabled. We've actually reversed roles. He is a plumber by trade but not your typical toilet guy. He used to repair large, industrial pumps. He can create, build, repair, fix, juryrig just about anything. His nickname is MacGyver. The school loves him (small, Catholic one). They found out about his skills and if he walks down the hallway he is dragged into classrooms to fix things. Anyway, he rides his motorcycle when he can, loves to flea market and camp. The original Disney fan. He recalls camping at FW when it first opened and pretty much spent most of his childhood at Disney. He's the one that got me hooked. So if you want to hear stories, he's the guy to go to.

DD - She's 9. Smart kid, sweet kid and a hidden sharp wit that she only takes out when she needs it (or at least we're working on that). It sometimes gets her in trouble and sometimes has me laughing so hard that my stomach hurts (don't tell her I said that). She loves, loves, loves to dance. She takes 3 classes a week and would take more if it fit into her schedule. She made the dance team this past summer and got to dance with at Ellis Island. She also takes Karate and has just started basketball. Oh yeah and of course girl scouts. She liked princesses but was never really "into them". Give her a good power ranger any day of the week.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #42
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgldv View Post
Welcome! As Allison mentioned, we are having a cruisemates meet on the first day (Saturday) at 2:45 p.m. in the Promenade Lounge. This will give folks a chance to meet and kids to hook up with others their age before the boat drill, sailaway party and all the fun begins. Join us. Just send an email to me at jeffd99@yahoo.com with your names and ages of kids as I am compiling a list that I'll send out a couple of weeks before the cruise.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #43
jd99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And okay, I'll jump in with the GTKY stuff some more.

Me - Mom, Wife, Compliance officer, Girl Scout leader. That about sums it up. No time for anything else. I work in NYC. Love the environment, hate the commute. Love to camp, especially FW.

DH - Stay at home dad due to being disabled. We've actually reversed roles. He is a plumber by trade but not your typical toilet guy. He used to repair large, industrial pumps. He can create, build, repair, fix, juryrig just about anything. His nickname is MacGyver. The school loves him (small, Catholic one). They found out about his skills and if he walks down the hallway he is dragged into classrooms to fix things. Anyway, he rides his motorcycle when he can, loves to flea market and camp. The original Disney fan. He recalls camping at FW when it first opened and pretty much spent most of his childhood at Disney. He's the one that got me hooked. So if you want to hear stories, he's the guy to go to.

DD - She's 9. Smart kid, sweet kid and a hidden sharp wit that she only takes out when she needs it (or at least we're working on that). It sometimes gets her in trouble and sometimes has me laughing so hard that my stomach hurts (don't tell her I said that). She loves, loves, loves to dance. She takes 3 classes a week and would take more if it fit into her schedule. She made the dance team this past summer and got to dance with at Ellis Island. She also takes Karate and has just started basketball. Oh yeah and of course girl scouts. She liked princesses but was never really "into them". Give her a good power ranger any day of the week.
Allison
It's too bad our girls will be in different groups at the clubs since they seem to have a lot in common. Sports, dance, girl scouts, shyness, wit, a little princess aversion... Well maybe they can hook up at the pool or playing ping pong or hoops together.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #44
jd99
DIS Veteran

Not to steal from Allison, but...

One Month from Today and we'll be sailing toward Key West
Southernmost point of the US
Duval Street
Amazing sunsets
Snorkeling
Shopping
Mallory Pier and all the weirdness there
Sloppy Joe's Bar
Ernest Hemingway's house
Six toed cats
Wild roosters
Key Lime Pie

Maybe you have a Palo brunch reservation.
Getting into the rhythm of life on the ship.

I'm getting to be too excited to sleep.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #45
Griffith6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
Not to steal from Allison, but...

One Month from Today and we'll be sailing toward Key West
Southernmost point of the US
Duval Street
Amazing sunsets
Snorkeling
Shopping
Mallory Pier and all the weirdness there
Sloppy Joe's Bar
Ernest Hemingway's house
Six toed cats
Wild roosters
Key Lime Pie

Maybe you have a Palo brunch reservation.
Getting into the rhythm of life on the ship.

I'm getting to be too excited to sleep.
Jeff - I was thinking we would stay on the ship at Key West and enjoy pools. Anything on the list above that is fun for younger families? We have Palo that morning and thinking kids will enjoy pools and maybe kids clubs for a bit. Since you are the veteran, curious your feedback on Key West.

Debbie
Griffith6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: