Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Cando86
Mouseketeer

So...who wants to critique my itinerary :)?

Don't all jump at once. Hehe

Anyways...as I'm sure you all understand, I've been going back and forth, editing and re-editing, canceling reservations and making new ones etc etc...you know, all of the fun that goes into planning a Disney trip

So, I would love any input anyone has on our plans. Here they are...!

December 30: Arrival day. No real plan here. Maybe hit a park, Beaches & Cream (boyfriend is dead-set on going here sometime throughout the trip!), Boardwalk, Dtown Disney, or Jellyrolls...what do you think?

December 31: Braving the crowds @ Magic Kingdom for NYE. Getting there super early and staying all day until the midnight fireworks. Crystal Palace ADR's for lunch. Anyone have any tips for dealing with the MK on NYE?

January 1: Sleep in since we'll be up late the night before. Epcot has evening EMH so this will help us feel better about sleeping in. Arrive by 11:45am for ADR's @ Tutto Italia (thinking about changing this to a later time, or a different day altogether...seems a little early if we're trying to sleep in...although what is "sleeping in" at Disney anyway!?). I have two reservations @ Coral Reef for dinner; one @ 5:50 and one @ 7...which one should I keep?

January 2: Morning EMH @ Animal Kingdom. Tusker House ADR @ 11:55. Hoop De Doo @ 9:30.

January 3: Hollywood Studios. No EMH here today so hopefully that will lessen the crowds. However, there is a Fantasmic showing and not another one until the 7th so this might attract more people. Arrive @ rope drop. Sci-Fi Dine In ADR's @ 11:35. Fantasmic Dinner Package, Hollywood & Vine @ 4:15. Anyone have any tips on the Fantasmic Dinner Package and how it all works?

January 4: Magic Kingdom. No EMH today. Chef Mickey's @ 8:40 and then go directly to park. Tony's Town Square for lunch @ 1:50. Hit some of the bigger rides that we didn't get to on NYE because of crowds. No dinner plans yet. Any suggestions? (can be in MK or anywhere else)

January 5: Epcot has morning EMH. Le Cellier lunch 11:45 am. Dinner @ Coral Reef...I have two reservations, one @ 5:30 and one at 7. Which one would you keep?

January 6: This day I'm still figuring out. I was trying to give us a day off, but we have park tickets so I figure we should hit a park for at least part of the day. AK has evening EMH, so was thinking about going there except we will have already had a full day here. We do have California Grill reservations @ 7 so that we can watch Wishes @ 8 from there

January 7: Magic Kingdom has morning EMH. Reservations @ The Plaza for lunch and 'Ohana for a late dinner.

January 8: Hollywood Studios. No ADR's here yet. Trying to get one for 50's Prime Time Cafe or...where else would you suggest if I can't get one there?.

One thing that worries me is that I don't have us doing a whole lot of park hopping, and we purchased park hoppers. DBF *insisted* on doing the Deluxe Dining Plan so I'm really trying to get our money's worth by making a lot of ADR's...however this limits us to certain parks, sometimes all day. I want to have the option to hop, in case a park is too busy or we just feel like being somewhere else, but I'm worried we're going to be wasting money here.

ANY input is appreciated!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Disney Fool

The name says it all

where are you staying? which resort?
One thing I see is that on Jan 2 you have a ressie at 9:30 at Hoop de Doo, and a very early lunch--change the lunch to 2 p.m.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
kellypooh
A rainy day at Disney is still better than a sunny day at home!

no critique -- just want to throw my 2 cents in re: Beaches and Cream....DO it!!! It's well worth it....I ate there 2 times during my last trip. It would be a great arrival day meal.

edited to add: any day there is a showing of Fantasmic, the crowds will be horrific....there is no "might" about it
Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Cando86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post
where are you staying? which resort?
One thing I see is that on Jan 2 you have a ressie at 9:30 at Hoop de Doo, and a very early lunch--change the lunch to 2 p.m.
We'll be @ Pop! That's a good idea about the lunch. I was thinking about just doing a QS dinner but even still there will be a lot of time in between meals. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellypooh View Post
no critique -- just want to throw my 2 cents in re: Beaches and Cream....DO it!!! It's well worth it....I ate there 2 times during my last trip. It would be a great arrival day meal.

edited to add: any day there is a showing of Fantasmic, the crowds will be horrific....there is no "might" about it
Beaches and Cream is QS right?? I don't have to make ADR's? You sealed it for me; thanks! Do you think the crowds will be busy all day @ HS, or just in the evening for Fantasmic? And will it matter that it's the Sunday before kids have to back in school after Christmas break (as in, will the crowds be lighter because of that)?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Disney Fool

The name says it all

Jan. 4th-- MK day, have you considered eating at one of the resorts? Like Narcoosee's, or Citricos at the Grand Floridian, Ohana or Kona Cafe at Polynesian? Since you have Deluxe Dining, you can double up and use two meal vouchers for one signature meal at a nice restaurant. And am I reading your post wrong? Do you have reservations at Coral Reef Restaurant both on Jan 1st and Jan 5th?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Cando86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fool View Post
Jan. 4th-- MK day, have you considered eating at one of the resorts? Like Narcoosee's, or Citricos at the Grand Floridian, Ohana or Kona Cafe at Polynesian? Since you have Deluxe Dining, you can double up and use two meal vouchers for one signature meal at a nice restaurant. And am I reading your post wrong? Do you have reservations at Coral Reef Restaurant both on Jan 1st and Jan 5th?
Oops! January 5th we're doing Chefs de France not Coral Reef!
We do have ADR's at 'Ohana one evening...I was looking into Kona as well for another day...which would you recommend of the ones you mentioned?
Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
ladeedeb
Mouseketeer

Jan. 6th

One thing about Jan. 6th: If you have dinner at CG at 7, I wouldn't bother with AK, unless you go at rope drop & then leave if it gets crowded. The EMH would be from 5-8 and you would have to leave by 6 at the latest. Although you shouldn't have too much of a problem with crowds this time of year (unless big promos), EMH draws people, for the whole day, who don't have park hoppers & are onsite. JMHO. Have a terrific time.
ladeedeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
WriteDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando86 View Post
Don't all jump at once. Hehe

Anyways...as I'm sure you all understand, I've been going back and forth, editing and re-editing, canceling reservations and making new ones etc etc...you know, all of the fun that goes into planning a Disney trip

So, I would love any input anyone has on our plans. Here they are...!

December 30: Arrival day. No real plan here. Maybe hit a park, Beaches & Cream (boyfriend is dead-set on going here sometime throughout the trip!), Boardwalk, Dtown Disney, or Jellyrolls...what do you think?

Sounds good! I love that area, especially Beaches and Cream, we ate there twice last trip

December 31: Braving the crowds @ Magic Kingdom for NYE. Getting there super early and staying all day until the midnight fireworks. Crystal Palace ADR's for lunch. Anyone have any tips for dealing with the MK on NYE?

We went to MK on NYE 2006/2007.. it was beyond crowded so just be prepared if thats what you want.. alot of the rides ended up breaking down later in the day (Space Mountain, Splash, Buzz for a little bit)... so I say just take it easy since you'll be there all day and it looks like you'll be back another day.. try and get done what you can in terms of rides but don't overdo it... the fireworks were amazing though.. oh yea and budget plenty of time leaving too.. we drove so we had to get to the parking lots and it took us about 2 hours to get from Main Street to the Monorail.. but if you're staying onsite you could just take a bus.. I'm sure there will be a wait for that though

January 1: Sleep in since we'll be up late the night before. Epcot has evening EMH so this will help us feel better about sleeping in. Arrive by 11:45am for ADR's @ Tutto Italia (thinking about changing this to a later time, or a different day altogether...seems a little early if we're trying to sleep in...although what is "sleeping in" at Disney anyway!?). I have two reservations @ Coral Reef for dinner; one @ 5:50 and one @ 7...which one should I keep?

I think the earlier one... you might be able to miss the dinner rush and not have to wait as long for a table

January 2: Morning EMH @ Animal Kingdom. Tusker House ADR @ 11:55. Hoop De Doo @ 9:30.

January 3: Hollywood Studios. No EMH here today so hopefully that will lessen the crowds. However, there is a Fantasmic showing and not another one until the 7th so this might attract more people. Arrive @ rope drop. Sci-Fi Dine In ADR's @ 11:35. Fantasmic Dinner Package, Hollywood & Vine @ 4:15. Anyone have any tips on the Fantasmic Dinner Package and how it all works?

Haven't done this.

January 4: Magic Kingdom. No EMH today. Chef Mickey's @ 8:40 and then go directly to park. Tony's Town Square for lunch @ 1:50. Hit some of the bigger rides that we didn't get to on NYE because of crowds. No dinner plans yet. Any suggestions? (can be in MK or anywhere else)

For quick service maybe Columbia Harbor House thats pretty good.. or for table service you could try the Wave at the Contemporary

January 5: Epcot has morning EMH. Le Cellier lunch 11:45 am. Dinner @ Coral Reef...I have two reservations, one @ 5:30 and one at 7. Which one would you keep?

Go with the earlier

January 6: This day I'm still figuring out. I was trying to give us a day off, but we have park tickets so I figure we should hit a park for at least part of the day. AK has evening EMH, so was thinking about going there except we will have already had a full day here. We do have California Grill reservations @ 7 so that we can watch Wishes @ 8 from there

We did this last trip and it was awesome you'll love it!

January 7: Magic Kingdom has morning EMH. Reservations @ The Plaza for lunch and 'Ohana for a late dinner.

January 8: Hollywood Studios. No ADR's here yet. Trying to get one for 50's Prime Time Cafe or...where else would you suggest if I can't get one there?.

Maybe Mama Melrose?

One thing that worries me is that I don't have us doing a whole lot of park hopping, and we purchased park hoppers. DBF *insisted* on doing the Deluxe Dining Plan so I'm really trying to get our money's worth by making a lot of ADR's...however this limits us to certain parks, sometimes all day. I want to have the option to hop, in case a park is too busy or we just feel like being somewhere else, but I'm worried we're going to be wasting money here.

We usually do a park in the morning and then a break and a park at night. It is always nice to have the option of park hopping if you want to.

Hope that helps and have a great trip

ETA: Beaches and Cream is a table service restaurant, if you really really want to eat there I would say consider paying out of pocket, not sure you really get your moneys worth out of it on the dining plan
Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Disney Fool

The name says it all

Narcoosee's at GF --if you're there during fireworks, the music is piped in on the porch. Food is very, very good. Surf and turf. Great waitstaff.

FYI: another great restaurant is on the Boardwalk --the Flying Fish.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cando86 View Post
I've never been to Beaches & Cream (would love to try it someday!) but I love the boardwalk area. This definitely sounds like a fun day.

Quote:
We did NYE 2006->2007 on our first trip ever. OMG it was crazy! Not much I can tell you but use fastpasses and make sure to stay fed/watered. It will be a long wait for any snacks/drinks so get in line as soon as you feel hungry/cranky/thirsty. Take lots of rests and try not to do too much! Having a sit down meal will help a lot.

Quote:
If you are having lunch at around noon I would go for 7pm dinner. Figuring you will be done with lunch around 1, you will be eating again in like 4 hours if you go with the early one. Also - have you looked at the new menu for Coral Reef? It was a must do for us but with the new menu it is now off the list.

Quote:

After you eat you get a ticket and you use that to enter the special viewing area. The entrance was near the entrance to the park, right to the right by the bathrooms. The viewing area was front stage left, so not dead center. It was good but not the best. You still have to be there almost an hour in advance. Also the Hollywood and Vine dinner was pretty bad the time we had it - we wouldn't do that again even for the Fantasmic package... it was pretty much inedible.

Quote:
Kona or Narcoosee's. 1900 Park Faire is good too if you like buffets (we don't, but we love the strawberry soup!!).

Quote:

Sci Fi is decent altho we are getting tired of it. My DH loves Cape May which is just a short boat ride or walk from the studios. I would also recommend Captain's Grille in the Yacht Club.

Quote:

You can always cancel the park hoppers off and add them on later if you feel like hopping. I don't think you get any savings by adding them ahead of time. We hardly ever hopped when we flew down for trips. Now we sometimes do with AP's, but really not very often! I like to really soak up a park and feel like I "missed the party" when I enter a 2nd park later in the day.

By the way, check out Raglan Road. There is live music at night and the food is great. Might be a good idea for your first night or any night you want to leave the parks early. It's at downtown disney and we've been there a couple times and love it (mmm fish & chips). Really fun atmosphere. Also Jiko is great and the AKL is a fun place to visit.

Last edited by TifffanyD; 10-27-2009 at 01:21 PM.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: