Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Dimplenose
Stranger from the outside
I do tend to go over the top in Disneyness

Libby's 2009 Trip - Day 11

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10

Libbys 2009 Trip

Day 11 Thursday August 6th

We are going to Fantasmic tonight. We have a dinner package (or should that be lunch package?) booked for 3:30. So we are planning a fairly lazy morning followed by an afternoon and evening at DHS.

Following the normal pattern Im the first one up. I grab a notebook and pen and wander over to the food court where I have a coffee and Danish while I write up my trip report.

A beautiful flower on the way to the food court.

Im always impressed by the early morning cleaning and maintenance activity going on in the grounds (and I can see where some of my accommodation money is going .)

There is always more wildlife about too. Today I see a squirrel but would love to see another armadillo as we did back in 2002.

I get back to the room for 9am and wake up the rest of the family and it is fairly late before we are back at the food court. Its a good thing that they are eating a late breakfast as I dont really want to stop for lunch when we have dinner booked for 3:30.

After breakfast we do to DTD to do some shopping and are very relieved to find the hoodie that DD has been searching for. She spent nearly all of her holiday money on it (but has hardly taken off since we came home so well worth the money!)

I also want to get a Christmas decoration and some other bits and pieces. We split into a boy and girl teams and go off to look at the shops. DD and I visit the Christmas shop, toy shop, scrapbooking cum t-shirt shop, Tren-D and the crystal shop.

I dont buy a lot but do get a decoration and I see a necklace that I later persuade DH to buy me for Christmas (I hope he can find it again!)

We finish our morning wirh a drink and McFlurry at McDonalds. The place is very full of loud, bored kids that appear to be on a summer holiday programme. They have all had Happy Meals that have taken approximately 2 minutes to eat and are now killing time while their adults finish their larger meals the kids arent naughty, just LOUD!

DS is impressed with the size of the McFlurries but then again they are about twice the price of the ones at home.

After this we head back to our room for a rest.

At about 2pm we start to head off to DHS. Were too busy talking and car spotting and manage to miss our turning for DHS. After a quick detour (not caused by the SatNav this time!) we eventually get to DHS.

As always Im amused by the theming of the ATMs.

The park is very busy and the crowds are already beginning to be marshalled into place for the afternoon parade. We decide to get on the correct side of the street for Hollywood and Vine before finding a spot to watch Block Party Bash. It was quite a sweet parade and DD was very happy to see Boo. At the end of the parade lots of coloured balls are thrown into the crowd. As we were standing near the back we could have gathered up half a dozen of these but just took one as a souvenir and then watched as the younger children scrambled for the others.

We got to the restaurant at 3:20 for our 3:30 seating. Now, Ive read some very mixed reviews of this buffer and was a little nervous to book it, but as I didnt want Brown Derby prices and have visited Mama Melroses in the past and really disliked the food, service and atmosphere, it was our only option for a Fantasmic Dinner package.

We were the first seating of the evening. All signs of the earlier character meals had gone and the buffet was still being set up when we were seated. What can I say except it was a really, really good meal. Everything was fresh and nothing to messed-about-with to put my children off. The dessert selection was delicious and our server very attentive. I was surprised to find that our soft drinks were included in the price as everything Id read led me to believe theyd be extra.

There were only 2 downsides that I can mention. Firstly the toilets were shared with the Prime Time Caf next door and were very, very busy and secondly we were cheated out of our Fantasmic seating rights. Dont get me wrong, we still had a pass and reserverd seating but were told to get there 90 minutes before the show 90 MINUTES!!!! Over hearing other conversations I dont think I was the only one that was cross. I was hoping to get there just 40 minutes before the show.

After lunch we still had 3 hours to fill so we did the backlot tour and after that tried to get to see the Indy show, but the gates had closed a couple of minutes before show time because the theatre was full. So we decided to go and do the animation class that wed missed earlier in the holiday. We didnt want to do the show first so we entered via the shop and waited for the class to start. We got to draw Goofy a character that was fast becoming a favourite of ours this year.

After that we went to our all time favourite Disney ride The Great Movie Ride. While we were queueing there was an English girl of about 11 or 12 who was dithering about whether or not shed be scared to do the ride. I talked her into going on it. I think the parents were relieved that shed decided to join in but when the ride started I could see she was scared. I felt very guilty as although Im a wimp I dont find it a scary ride at all but I could tell that she did. I hope I didnt put her off going on other rides.

90 minutes before the show was due to start we then tried to find the Fantasmic Dinner Package queue but there wasnt one. We were expected to either wait with everyone else or wait for everyone else to enter and then go in. There were a lot of cross people brandishing yellowing Fantasmic passes. In the end we just walked alongside the regular queue until it branched off for pass holders (just at the top of the arena).

We did get a good seat and watched as the arena filled up. It was full by 8pm. There were still seats available in the reserved area although latecomers didnt get as good a view as we did. I didnt notice the reserved area being opened to the general public at all but Im sure it must have been.

Nearly full at 7:50.

And just 10 minutes later!!

While we were waiting a lady in a very tall novelty hat sat in front of me. I then spent the next hour fretting about whether shed take it off for the show and the politest way I should her her to if she didnt. (I do love to fret and she did take it off without being asked. LOL)

The show was vey good (its the third time weve seen it and the second time weve seen it all the way through. We still joke that the dragon won the first time as there was a power failure and we had to leave early.)

As we left we walked the length of Sunset Boulevard and noticed that the queue for the 10:30 show was already as far as the corner with Hollywood Boulevard.

We managed to squeeze onto a tram and back to the car quite quickly. Then it was straight back to the hotel and bed.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I can understand why you were so mad about there not being a Fantasmic entrance. Luckily, it's now been reinstated but I still haven't had any success getting a reservation.

I'm glad you enjoyed Hollywood & Vine. We've been there on the Fantasmic package twice before and had a great meal and service both times.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another lovely day Libby It sounds like you got plenty of shopping done. I love that TrenD shop too, I could've spent a fortune in there

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Latte Lover
in charge of the credit cards and plotting quickest routes to the shopping malls

Another great day, Libby. I love the photo of the woman in the hat! That would have got me fretting too.

1975 Royal Plaza 1997 Master's Inn Kissimee 1999 Clarion Universal 2001 Howard Johnson Maingate East 2003 Econolodge 2005 Howard Johnson Maingate West 2006 Our Timeshare at Sheraton Vistana Resort 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 Sheraton Vistana(May), Terrace Ridge (Aug)Nov 2009 Barefoot'n' in the keys, Kissimmee2010 Cumbrian LakesOct 2011 Sheraton & Disney MagicNov 2012 Florida Keys, The Sheraton, and OKW
Latte Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed your dunch (or was it linner ?) package at Hollywood and Vine (not sure what a 3.30 ressie is called!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: