Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
When we took our then five-year-old granddaughter to Disney World for her first time, we picked a very friendly Cast Member when we first entered the park (it's easy to do in the morning) and showed Marlie what the Cast Member name tags looked like. We told her that if we ever lost her, to find someone like that and tell them we were lost (kids never get lost, adults lose them). The Cast Member we picked agreed with us and told Marlie that any Cast Member would be able to help her find us. That's really all you need to do. Have your kids go to a Cast Member and let them handle it. Disney World has a great system in place for lost parents. Make sure all kids in your party have ALL cell phone numbers. Don't just give them one as you might have the phone turned off or not be able to hear it. Marlie had three cell phone numbers on her. She also had her name, her mother's name, and her resort name (NOT the room number). Remember that little kids will sometimes get really flustered when you have lost them so it's not a bad idea to have their names printed somewhere.

Also, if you have a digital camera, take a picture of each child before you leave in the morning. It'll be easy to show that to a Cast Member instead of trying to remember what your child(ren) wore that day.

And all lost parents should remember that the CM does not have to go out physically walking around a park to find your child. They are assigned a spot and cannot leave that area for safety reasons-especially in the water parks. They have to watch their water, but they will radio or phone in and then you will have the eyes of every guard, slide op, ticket taker, restaurant server, coordinator and manager watching for your lost child. I have seen parents screaming at CMs that no one did anything to help find their child when the motions were in play and working.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
tink22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
Um, you do realize that there is a regular landline phone for the CMs' use about every 10 feet hidden somewhere, right? There's no need to use a cell at all.
Although I am sure some do, policy is that CM's are not allowed to have a cell phone on them during their shift. So the odds you find one with a cell might be slim. As written here, there are land lines everywhere for CM's to call a specific number for lost children.
tink22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
3_disprincesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamMaster View Post
Wow , sounds like a great family get together. So do you plan on spending any time together as a group?
So what part of that post made you think they weren't spending time together as a group?
Port Orleans Riverside, 2002
POP Century, 2006
POP Century, 2008
POP Century, 2012

Me Dh DD 21 DD 8 DS 20
3_disprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
yrdlyprincess
DIS Veteran

I am going to put a "tag" with the kids everyday-- it will go in a plastic bag (small) in their pocket-- it will have their name, where they are staying and both mine and DH cellphone #'s --I told them that if they get seperated from us to show it to the CM...hope that works if they do.

Hubby and the kids will pack and plan--ok maybe just pack!

yrdlyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
hart6066
DIS Veteran

Tell them to "look for a Mommy"

I heard this years ago and I use it with my kids. I tell them if they ever get lost, no matter where we are, go up to "a Mommy" and ask for help. When the kids were little, we talked about how you'd know someone was a "mommy"--pushing a stroller, holding a baby/child's hand, etc.

The rationale for this is that with all of the rent a cop type people out there, this in many ways is safer than trying to teach a young child what a policeman, etc looks like. The thought also is that the chances of your child finding a mother who would harm rather than help them is pretty low.

We attach little id tags with all of our cell numbers and tell the kids to ask a mommy to call us and we will find them.

At Disney it also helps that it'd be pretty hard to look around and NOT see "a Mommy"! Just another idea.
hart6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
tawasdave
I may be getting older..but refuse to grow up

I know this may not sound quite right, but since my kids were little I have "trained" them to respond to a certain whistle that I can do...you have to make it a unique whistle...You have no idea how many times at WDW and many other places all of a sudden they are gone..I do my whistle and they come running to the whistle...my kids are now 17 and 20 and last April I used it...sure eliminates alot of worry...give it a try...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #22
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawasdave View Post
... I do my whistle and they come running to the whistle...my kids are now 17 and 20 ...
Name the (non-Disney) movie: "... whistles are for dogs and cats ... not for children and definitely not for me ..."

Hint: Said by the character played by the same person who played Mary Poppins.

Kids who can distinguish the pitch of a whistle are in the small minority. While they are also likely to have an ear for music, they are not guaranteed to have the dexterity or coordination or perseverance to play music.

Children who have lost their parents should be granted the use of a desk phone if they can make use of that.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #23
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

That trivia is too easy!!!

I have to say that all the 'look for a CM' advice I disagree with. One thing, as a parent, that we should NEVER teach our kids is to go up to a man to ask for help when they can't find us. Sorry guys, statistically speaking they are WAY safer asking for help from a woman. And I have no idea how easy/difficult it is to replicate a CM nametag if foul play is desired....

I agree with pp who said to find a mom with kids and ask for help. My kids are instructed to do this.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, kid, lost

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: