Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

Upgrade to CR but is Garden Wing worth it?

Thinking about upgrading to CR but I can only afford the garden wing rooms...is it really worth it then? Is the walk far to the main tower? Should I just go for it and hope that I get upgraded to a tower room?
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We stayed in the South Wing a few years ago when they were doing renovations in that building. We thought it was great. You didn't have to wait on an elevator to get to your room or from your room like you do with the tower rooms. We had a view of the pool, but not directly toward the pool, so it was quiet. The room was so large compared to some of the other rooms we have stayed in, including the GF and Polynesian.

Easy to walk over to the tower to catch the monorail or to walk over to the MK. I'd stay there in a minute.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
tami82
DIS Veteran

Im not going to go into to much detail but we stayed in August and absolutely loved it. We were upgraded to a lake view patio from the standard.

Offsite at Nickelodeon Hotel 8/2009
Disney Contemporary Resort 8/2009
Upcoming trip 8/15/10 - 8/22/10 - Wilderness Lodge - I got free dining bounceback Aug 15-22

tami82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Yes!! We stayed in the Wing this past June and loved it. No wait for the elevator, quick walk to the main building. The room size and decor is the same as the tower. Go for it!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Anytime you have a chance to stay at the Contemporary you should take advantage of it, no matter if your going for a room in the Tower or the Garden Wing. Also the walk from the Garden Wing to the Tower is 5 minutes or less, which is not bad at all.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I actually prefer the wing rooms to the tower rooms. The only thing you really give up is a balcony (tower rooms have them, wing rooms don't). You can request ground floor which would get you a small patio, if it's important to have some outside space, but it's only a request. The rooms in the tower and wing are virtually identical in layout and size, so you don't gain/lose anything there. CR is a great hotel, in my opinion, and one of the most underrated resorts at Disney.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Our only stay at the CR was in a garden wing for $137 a night, back in 05...we were less than thrilled with it....probably because they were painting and wallpapering the halls of the wing and it stunk.

Our view was of the parking lot. It was a short walk to the main tower. We didnt feel like we were staying at the CR at all and I think that is why I dont like the CR.

If we every stay there again it will have to be in the main tower building so I can get the "CR feel"
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
vod2117
DIS Veteran

Yes, I have to agree with pp, Nicki. CR is meant to be in the Main Tower Building. With that being said, if you were staying in one of those wings, do not stay CR. It would not be worth it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

To me, it would depend where you're upgrading from? There are lots of other places I'd rather stay than CR wing...but also a lot of places I'd rather NOT stay!

And you definitely should NOT book something in the hope of getting an upgrade. These boards make upgrades seem like they happen all the time, when in reality, they don't. Book what will make you happiest and know you'll be content with it, otherwise your vacation can start out with a big disappointment from check-in.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

One thing that makes the Contemporary Garden Wing rooms very popular is that they are the least expensive rooms among the Monorail Resorts, so they can sell out very fast.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Princess Bell I think that the garden wings rooms at the CR are a great value for staying at a monorail resort....

There are nice things about both the tower and the wing...

I think that the wings close proximity to the pool and dock is very nice...

Also you can get away from the hustle bustle of the main building but have the amenities of the main building just minutes away... even though you will not have that beautiful MK view that a tower room would give you...as pp have said no waiting on elevators...and there is a very nice fireworks viewing area on the 4th floor of the main building that you can utilize...

The Bay Lake views happen to be very nice( a favorite of ours even in a tower room) and depending on where your room is located you can watch the Electrical Water Pagent in the evenings from your room...

We prefer ground floor rooms and find sitting out on the patio enjoying the grounds to be very relaxing...

The CR is a disney classic! Enjoy your trip....

BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
tami82
DIS Veteran

Also in the Garden Wing you arent confined to a big building where you HAVE to take elevators to get outside. We were on the first floor and it was great. Another thing is if you have kids you are much closer to the pool area. If i had to do it again would choose the GW.

Offsite at Nickelodeon Hotel 8/2009
Disney Contemporary Resort 8/2009
Upcoming trip 8/15/10 - 8/22/10 - Wilderness Lodge - I got free dining bounceback Aug 15-22

tami82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
shoes99
DIS Veteran

I booked a one night stay at CR-GW for the last night of our NFFC Convention in Dec for $257.62. A few days later I checked the 40% Club discounts and was able to get one night at WL Standard Club View for $270.00. I love WL during the holidays, so we changed. We also love CR, but for $12 more we get club level. Not bad...

shoes99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by vod2117 View Post
Yes, I have to agree with pp, Nicki. CR is meant to be in the Main Tower Building. With that being said, if you were staying in one of those wings, do not stay CR. It would not be worth it.
Not true. The South Wing rooms are great. And you don't have to wait for an elevator.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Thinking about upgrading to CR but I can only afford the garden wing rooms...is it really worth it then? Is the walk far to the main tower? Should I just go for it and hope that I get upgraded to a tower room?
If location is important to you it will be worth it. If staying at a Disney icon resort with a monorail running through it is of value, then it would be worth it. If leaving from the MK at closing and watching the ferry, water launches and buses fill beyond capacity and saying we are just going to walk back sounds pretty cool...then it will be worth it.......the walk back to the CR is less than your non-upgrade resort

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: