Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #136
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
on yer trip report.

Tho I do say that when I play golf, I have a bad habit of seeing that my divots go farther than my golf ball

Still fun tho playing as I play a fairly decent game of 9 hole.

CYA!
Sometimes I have divots that fly far..... and the ball is still sittin on the ground where it started! THAT is actually NOT that much fun! But the rest of it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Ellen, you should be a food critic! I love reading your flavorful descriptions! "real sushi" is not my thing. I love the california rolls and maybe some shrimp rolls. I did have some sashimi once in Japan, because I went to a buffet, and the hostess was insisting - I didn't want to be rude, and you cannot waste food, so I ate it with some wasabi - not too bad. All the fishy-ness I can leave.

There are some foods we miss from Japan (actually Okinawa), but the gack crab crackers and the shrimp fries are not among them!
I would not have been able to insulting or wasteful either, but I'm sure I would have loved every morsel!! Good for ou for giving it a shot! So have you tried gack crabs & stinky shrimp fries? Or did you skip them? I still can't bring myself to open the SSFs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C. View Post
WOW..that cabin is something else. can't wait for that TR.
Yea, I think it's sooooo cool- I hope I have a happy vacation to write about, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
those sushi candie's were Beth's favorite snack on the trip. She still talks about them when we have regular sushi. Katie eats the real stuff. I know we are extra crazy for having sushi in Minneapolis but thank goodness for airlines and flying fresh fish in. I can't imagine making sushi out of the fish we catch in our lakes.

i have seen those super beyond gack crackers before. I thought they were like little lobsters but I wasn't sure what to do with them. They look yucky
So cool about Katie eating sushi! I saw on Alan's thread you are debating CG for your next trip- I say GO FOR IT!! There are tons of kids in there, it's not stuffy at CG at all, and their sushi is amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
WOW, that Japan pairing was amazing! DH totally would have loved that! We definitely have to schedule a F&W trip!
I would have loved to do more of those pairings, but that was the only one while we were there. And yes, if you've never been to F&W, you really need to go. It transforms WS into what the Foodie in me wishes was always WS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_renfroe View Post
All attempts at a Thanksgiving dog have been.....uh.....not great. (Actually, we are going to close the restaurant for three days and take a needed BREAK!) We are off to Dothan, Alabama this weekend - Wil made the all-stars in soccer and his team will be competing for a state championship this weekend!
SO HAPPY you guys are taking a break!! Have a great weekend in Dothan, and GO WIL! Tell him congrats on making the ALL-STARS!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #137
podsnel

More F&W feasting

We continued on...

We stopped again in Bangkok, Thailand, to sample the Green papaya salad with Shrimp and the Chicken & Coconut soup with mushrooms, lemongrass & ginger. And a Singha beer. The best part of the whole thing was the beer- and we LOVE thai food, we eat it fairly often at home. This food was just kind of blah, and BLAH is the LAST word i would use to describe good Thai food, which is really more hyper-flavorful. The papaya salad was refreshing, though, and the shrimp was well cooked.

Our next stop was Cape town, South Africa, to try the Beef tenderloin with sweet potatoes and mango bbq sauce and a pinotage-

Now, I know everyone loved this one, but I think we just got a bad piece. It was teeny-tiny (especially compared to all the ones we saw after we had finished ours) AND it was super, super chewy and tough. I think we got the end tip of the tenderloin. Oh well... Believe it or not, we were actually FULL at this point!! So we walked on to China where we went in to visit all those cool soldier boys...

Well, THIS doesn't look too comfy!

Aaahhhh...here they are! I LOVE these guys!!

Especially HIM- he looks like the troublemaker of the group!

Probably that's ME in a previous life... Back outside, we continued around ...

Hey! Cell phone guy! Get outta my way!

That's better. We stopped in Canada, because there was incredibly
no line AT ALL for soup! Pods & I have never eaten at Le Cellier together- well, not since it was a cafeteria (anyone remember THAT?) so I was really excited for him to try the cheddar soup, which I KNEW he would LOVE, and which he DID love. It was by FAR his favorite thing all day. I didn't take a pic of the soup,or the Moosehead we got to go with it, I was too busy taking pics of these guys who were VERY excited to see us!!!

EH!

OOps... I forgot to turn on my flash- could you be happy to see us again, please?

SOUP, EH!!! CANADA, EH!!! MOOSEHEAD, EH!!!

That cheddar cheese soup server was too funny!! There was still one more thing for us to try....in Ireland.....

Yummmm..chocolate lava cake with Bailey's ganache...which made us thirsty for just one more beverage, over there in France, the Parisien Cosmo Slushie-

We were ready for Illuminations and EMH....or were we??????? Cont'd next post...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #138
podsnel

Pods' 85th Birthday

So we were slurping down our slushie in France and it was time for Illuminations to begin. I love Illuminations. But I have some sort of Disney freakin' CURSE because I am never in the right place at the right time for it or any other fireworks display WDW offers (well, except Fantasmic, if that qualifies as fireworks- more Pyro technics, that one). I am always watching Illuminations behind a tree, or behind the world's tallest man, or from the bathroom... well, anyway, here are a couple of pics-

So the big show is over, and I'm sooo excited because it is EMH and we don't have the kids with us. And DH says, "That's enough. I want to go back to the room and have a martini."

And I said, "But...it's EMH! TONIGHT. ONLY.

To which he replied with all his complaints and grievences DU JOUR-
"It's enough! We've been here for hours! You said this was going to be a relaxing vacation! We've walked 100 miles! You take too many pictures! It's ENOUGH!"

Ummm...yea...hello, my name is Ellen, we've been married for 23 years, this is how I am....I mean REALLY? He's too tired at 9pm to stay at Epcot for another hour or so?? REALLY??? ANd that's when I knew the sad, sad truth- my dear, wonderful DH had been BODYSNATCHED and replaced! He had horribly flown right by the ages of 50, 60, 70 & 80 and slammed head on into the ripe old crankiness of age 85!!! Although, he did still have all his own teeth, so kudos on that one. Oh, Crap. So we left the park, ya know- ALONE because there wasn't anyone else in Epcot dumb enough to leave, and headed for the beach club (where we had parked.) Some night time pics-

Movies on the beach- looks like no one's there, I wonder why? Oh, I know- they're all at EPCOT WHERE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!

The place of our next DISmoms trip- I bet THEY'LL stay for EMH!!

We got our car from the free valet (no doubt minutes before DVC members had this perk revoked) who was speedy fast in his shiny white new Nikes! Back at OKW, it was STRAIGHT to the room, where DH proceeded to pour himself a stiff one and turn the TV on to something that was NOT STacey or Casey. Well, I have to draw the line somewhere! So we spent the rest of the evening learning all about the Must Dos and Magic DVC suitcases that WDW's finest programming had to offer.

In the morning....DH was thankfully back, a handsome and kind 48 year old once again, apologizing for acting like such an idiot the night before. It seems he was really, really affected by that bad golf game! Well, I think that was the icing on several bad games in a row, so he was feeling not so hot. Poor baby. But he promised to be a happy camper from now on...Thank GOD!!
Because today, we had some really wonderful and RELAXING plans- SSR spa, hangin' by the pool, and the best of all, V&A's!!!! See ya real soon!!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #139
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

El, you just crack me up!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #140
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

oooh! I can't wait to hear about V&A's. I want to eat there but I'm not going to be able to for a few years. The girls really wouldn't do well there and I'm not too keen on leaving them in a daycare at the hotel. Oh well. Love the F&W pics. Could Pods and Tim be releated? That 9 pm thing is just too common.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #141
podsnel

We have a new OKW room!

In all my excitement recollecting Pods' instant ageing process, I forgot to mention that when we returned to OKW it was to a new room, 2820. It was still a studio, but now on the second floor and not HA. And NOT next to noisy neighbors! But....this part of Bldg 28 is very close to the road, and the buses going by sounded like airplanes landing, they were so loud!! I think it had something to do with it being right on the part of the road where the buses were accellerating. Fortunately, we didn't hear them too much when we were sleeping.

It was interesting how there were all these little special Mousekeeping touches- like I've posted above, that were not in the other room at OKW at all.

In the morning, i decided to have a breakfast sandwich from Goods to go-

which I shared with Pods before we headed over to SSR for our Mystical Therapies treatments. Unfortunately, i did the unthinkable- I forgot my camera!! Well, we both went in to our treatments, which I have had now (including this one) 3 times- I just love it! 25 minutes of upper body massage followed by 25 minutes of reflexology. Pods enjoyed it, but said the refexology he couldn't even feel- really, if this ever happens to you, you need to tell the therapist to APPLY MORE PRESSURE!!!! We showered up, and headed out to the SSR pool to relax....we were feeling hungry, so we got lunch at AP, which was thankfully very empty. I think we split a chicken spinach artichoke flatbread and a house salad. I decided to blow off the 2pm Puglian wine seminar I had booked us into from home in favor of hangin' by the pool. Where I lasted about 30 seconds before I drove back to OKW to get my camera.

After a nice swim, I changed into some workout clothes and headed to the gym. WOW, does SSR have a gorgeous and HUGE gym!! Of course, there were maybe 3 people in there, and by the time I finished, i had the whole place to myself.

I headed down to the sauna and the steam room for a bit before rinsing off and going back outside to join the very relaxed Pods. We couldn't stay much longer, since we had to get ready for our 5:30 V&A ADR.

Next...is V&A's really worth it?

Oh yes, YES it is!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #142
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
El, you just crack me up!
I'm so glad! That's the point!

Quote:
oooh! I can't wait to hear about V&A's. I want to eat there but I'm not going to be able to for a few years. The girls really wouldn't do well there and I'm not too keen on leaving them in a daycare at the hotel. Oh well. Love the F&W pics. Could Pods and Tim be releated? That 9 pm thing is just too common.
Really? 9 pm? UGH! Pods isn't normally like that, so it was really, really annoying!! I felt like I was married to his brother instead of him. UGH again!

And V&A's has an age limit- I think it's 10. There's no kids anything in there. It's Disney heaven for grown-ups! I think our meal lasted about 3 hours, and it was very, very high end. Sooooooo incredible!!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #143
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

Oh the 9 pm thing is him getting sick of people. He is an exteme introvert and I am on the other end of the spectrum. Getting him to Disney is a real treat. I do social stories with him so he knows what to expect. LOL

Old 11-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #144
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

I was cracking up through parts of that.

Ellen I'm so glad you already have another trip to write about after this one. It is so fun to read your reports! What will I do when there is nothing new?!

Looking forward to hearing about V&A's.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #145
podsnel

Quote:
Oh the 9 pm thing is him getting sick of people. He is an exteme introvert and I am on the other end of the spectrum. Getting him to Disney is a real treat. I do social stories with him so he knows what to expect. LOL
Hey! I've got a nifty 40 page social story you can borrow for him for your next trip! You'll just need to fly out of Newark, NJ and stay at Kidani, HRH, and BLT for it to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
I was cracking up through parts of that.

Ellen I'm so glad you already have another trip to write about after this one. It is so fun to read your reports! What will I do when there is nothing new?!

Looking forward to hearing about V&A's.
Awww....thanks, Myst! Ya made me feel all special and stuff.

And ...what do you mean "when there is nothing new?" As in...I'm NOT on vacation every 10 minutes???? Bite your tongue!!! That is just too awful to think about!!! I have plenty of vacations planned for 2010- St John in January with our friends, Skiing in the poconos Presidents weekend, WDW Apr/May with the crazy DISmoms, A weekend in NYC in May, Washington, DC followed by Pigeon Forge Log Cabin Family vacay in August, WDW with Pods in Sept and WDW in OCT/DCL Western Oct 30th/ 1 night in Vero when we return. See? LOADS to look forward to!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #146
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great and funny as usual Update !! How is Mr Eighty Five today????
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #147
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great and funny as usual Update !! How is Mr Eighty Five today????
Feeling and acting more like his usual 12 year old self.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #148
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your latest updates are so funny. Pods turning into an 85 yr old right before your eyes. It's obvious you were so disappointed, but I'm glad he redeemed himself. And your Illuminations dilema. You have to try the spot over near Norway. Worked for me two trips in a row. Really don't have to get over there until last minute.

Oh well....I want to comment more, but have to keep it short. On my way out.

Cant wait to hear about V&A and the spa treatment sounds relaxing.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #149
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Hi, Ellen! I just stumbled across your TR, and of course I had to join in!! I loved reading about Vero and seeing all the pics. Before reading this, I never would have thought that VB was someplace that I might like to visit, but of course you changed my mind. I must admit, I am totally jealous of all your travels!!
OKW sounds so nice! Can't wait to read more!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #150
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Your spa/pool day sounds wonderful, and you haven't even gotten to dinner yet! I'm looking forward to hearing about that!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: