Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

I've been using the laundromat...

and LOVIN' it! Not for everyone, I admit.

Due to recent events, my washer and dryer is no longer at my house. In debating whether or not I really wanted my 13 year old machines back home, I hit the laundromat to get some laundry done.

My machines should really be replaced. The drier hasn't been working too well, even after the tune-up we gave it. The washer works, but it has some qwerks. We just don't have the dough to buy new ones right now, especially since I have some particular desires for my next set of machines, considering the amount of laundry I typically do in a week.

I got 9, nine, NINE loads of big, huge laundry, washed, dried, and FOLDED in 2-1/2 hours! That's including travel time to the laundromat, btw!

Each week I get overdue laundry done (like that king-sized bed cover, etc.).

I've been using the laundromat for well over a month now, and I LOVE it. No more laundry lying all around as I try to do bits and pieces of it here and there. No more feeling like laundry is hanging over my head all the time. There's one day. I take it. I do it. I get it done.

I have to admit that I LOVE the big huge waist high folding tables.

And taking a look at the electric bill...I believe I can attribute around $50 in savings for the month of September. Just awesome...

Again, not for everyone, but I'm loving the savings of time...the extra space in my utility room...and the money savings...

Just thought I'd share...I'm sure most of you prefer your home machines (especially if you have some of the newer ones out there)...but anyone else out there a regular at the laundromat?

Last edited by TxRabbit; 10-30-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: grammar
TxRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
disykat
DIS Veteran

Although I'm currently doing laundry at home, I admit I love a good laundry mat - as long as it's clean and not to crowded. it's really cool to get it all done at once! I don't enjoy hauling the clothes around though.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRabbit View Post
And taking a look at the electric bill...I believe I can attribute around $50 in savings for the month of September. Just awesome...
But how much is the laundry mat costing? It isn't as big a savings if one offsets the other...
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
But how much is the laundry mat costing? It isn't as big a savings if one offsets the other...
exactly. It is at least $3.00 a load at the landromat here to wash and dry so 9 loads would be $27.00 times 4 weeks a month would be $108.00 a month. That is more than twice the $50 saved on electricity.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
dyna
DIS Veteran

Plus gas to an from laundry mat
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Maybe I should have said 9 equivalent loads? I was able to put larger loads into the front load singles (I had 3 of those, they wouldn't have fit as one load in my washer though) and I was able to double up 6 loads that would have been singles into the "double" machines. So, it was like doing 9 loads for me, even though, technically, I only used 6 machines.

My total cost for the first week was $13.75.

I've only had to do laundry two more times since mid-September. I'm fixin to go again next Tuesday.

I got $50 in quarters before my first trip, and I still have around half a role left. Looks like I'm averaging $15 a trip, going an average of every 10 to 14 days, that would be around 24 to 30 times a year, so around $360 to 450 a year. I saved $50 in electricity, so around $600 a year savings there.

And I didn't mention that my gas bill went down as well. That's harder to tabulate though. I do wash linens on hot. Not sure if I took as many baths that month...so not sure how much of the $10 reduction on that bill is really from not doing laundry, but still there's more reduction there.

That's why I said doing laundry at the mat was saving me money in a kind of general way.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Plus gas to an from laundry mat
The mat is less than 10 miles to my house. I get 31 MPG. If I don't combine laundry with errands and just to a laundry run, that would add less than $2.00 per laundry day, or $24 to $30 in gas a year. But I usually add laundry to errands, so I'm not sure how to count the extra gas from the highway exit that I would normally pass to the mat (about 2 blocks) in the equation.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Although I'm currently doing laundry at home, I admit I love a good laundry mat - as long as it's clean and not to crowded. it's really cool to get it all done at once! I don't enjoy hauling the clothes around though.
I've been going on a different day of the week, each time. Saturday was the WORST. Ugh. Thursday was better. TUESDAY was AWESOME. Me and two other mommas in there!

I think what I like best is that I can just get all my laundry DONE. No distractions. I thought it would be boring, but I find that there's just a little time to read while all the washers are going. Since I resort the washer loads based on dry time, my driers all end at slightly different times, and once that first dryer is done (10 minutes), it's all I can do to keep up with all the clothes, folding and hanging. I love it.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
MickeyMomOfThree
DIS Veteran

The only time I use the laundry mat is in Disney, and I love it too. I love getting it all done at once. A few weeks ago we were having plumbing issues and I could not use the washer. I had to go to the laundry mat and was stunned by the prices. Disney laundry is cheaper. I was paying $5 a load for a mid size washer. I went through rolls of quarters fast and that was dragging everyting home wet to dry (dryer was fine). If I could pay what I was paying in Disney (image that, Disney is a deal!) I wouldn't have minded, and may have splurged for the dryers, but I could not afford to do that more then once. I washed the clothes we needed by hand for the next week till I could get a plumber out to fix the problem.
I Always wanted A Family and Now I Have A Great One!!!! Many Trips As A Kid Made Me Want To Have Many Trips as A Mom --- Now I'm Doing Just That --- Thanks hubby For Great Kids, a Great Family, and GREAT DISNEY VACATIONS!!! Married 17 Years and Counting ...
**SOG 10/97**ASSp 2/00**ASMu 3/01** ASMo 11/02**ASMo 11/04**ASSp 11/06**ASSp 11/08**ASSp 11/10**And some off property trips mixed in**
**Dreaming of 11/12 Or sooner if we win the lottery before that! **

Don't be Grumpy , be Happy , even if it makes you a little Sleepy DQC

Please see the Hidden Mickey for Haiti thread
MickeyMomOfThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
soccermomof3
Mouseketeer

I Love the laundromat too!!! My washer still works and my drier is dead! So I wash from6 - 9 loads at home in one morning and then take them to the laundry mat. I can get on free wifi there and I schedule my trips to coincide with my children's "in Town" activities.

CROCHETING MY WAY TO DISNEY!!

ETSY ID : CRUMBSNATCHERHATS
soccermomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomOfThree View Post
The only time I use the laundry mat is in Disney, and I love it too. I love getting it all done at once. A few weeks ago we were having plumbing issues and I could not use the washer. I had to go to the laundry mat and was stunned by the prices. Disney laundry is cheaper. I was paying $5 a load for a mid size washer. I went through rolls of quarters fast and that was dragging everyting home wet to dry (dryer was fine). If I could pay what I was paying in Disney (image that, Disney is a deal!) I wouldn't have minded, and may have splurged for the dryers, but I could not afford to do that more then once. I washed the clothes we needed by hand for the next week till I could get a plumber out to fix the problem.
Wow. $5.00 for just a double loader? I wonder if I just stumbled on a really inexpensive mat? My double is only $2.50! [The triple is only $3.50!]
Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I used to like to do laundry in the laundry rooms in college. I'd haul my wash down to the basement, start 2 or 3 loads, and study while they washed. Weekdays were slow and I could get it all done in one day, one trip.

I like having my own washer and dryer and wouldn't be without them, now, but I agree that the convenience of getting it all done in one fell swoop is pretty nice.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermomof3 View Post
I Love the laundromat too!!! My washer still works and my drier is dead! So I wash from6 - 9 loads at home in one morning and then take them to the laundry mat. I can get on free wifi there and I schedule my trips to coincide with my children's "in Town" activities.
I wouldn't be able to do that at my mat. They have a big sign saying you can't dry loads there unless you wash em there first. LOL!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
disneydreamersx4
DIS Veteran

I know what you mean about having laundry hanging out at home, your almost making me want to go to laundrymat too!
Cinderella told DD6 hope you don't wait another six years to come and see me
We are trying to plan another trip maybe 2012
disneydreamersx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

Glad it works for you. I hate going to the laundry mat.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: