Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
gardengalB4
DIS Veteran

I would try Sears or Garden Ridge on Black Friday.
Two years ago I decided it was time for a new artificial tree...the old one had been out of high school for a year...& was showing it's age.
I found one I loved at Sears on Black Friday...but we didn't arrive early enough-they were all out....
So later in the day we tried Garden Ridge & were pleasantly surprised with the prices & choices!

The first 3 years we were married my husband & I had real trees-I worked at a place that sold them & got a great deal.That 3rd year-the tree sapped all over my tree skirt as well as the ornaments & they turned black.On Christmas eve my mom was at Walmart & she got me a artificial tree marked really cheap-it turned out to be a great tree & lasted a long time.

I would be leary of waiting until after Christmas to try to find a tree in this economy-the stores may be keeping their inventory tighter in order to avoid taking huge markdowns after the holiday.Last year I remember Michaels having no trees/ornaments left right before Christmas!
gardengalB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Va-bear
Dream World=we get to sit home and drink hot cocoa!
They need to offer speed reading classes to bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
Just a thought... Stay with a real tree this year, and wait until after Xmas... When we went artificial, we bought a tree that we had seen and wanted at Sears. Prior to the Holidays it was expensive, but the day after Xmas it was at 50% off...
Good point that I forgot to mention. We got ours at Target after Xmas for 75% off - w/in 2 uses we'd paid less for it than _1_ real! Now, we're going into year 4 or 5 - so its been 'free' for 2-3 year!

Great Bargain deal!

2014-Pop 2012 Pop 2011-POFQ/Disney Dream Cruise 2009-Pop 2008-AK 2007-POP/POR 2006-Wilderness Lodge 2005-Celebration Radisson 2001-Wyndham Palace 1993-offsite 1975-Fort Wilderness
Va-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Non-prelit are getting hard to find. We got ours at a seasonal Christmas store at Halloween. They usually have a 50% off sale that weekend, which they open. The selection is great and we get a great price.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

Too late/too early for this suggestion, but I would wait until after the New Year to purchase an artificial tree. Earlier this year, I got my daughter a very cute PINK pre-lit 4' tree for her bedroom. The cost? $5 on final holiday clearance. I also got a 6' tree for our livingroom --- not sure if it's pre-lit or not ---- for less than $10 (I don't remember the exact cost).

Maybe you can choose "the one" --- then buy a cheaper one for this year and get "the one" after the holiday season is totally over and everything is on clearance.
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #20
timzagain
Rena

We made the switch to an artificial tree about 10 years ago. We live in the tropics - the "real" evergreen Christmas tree are imported. They are ridiculously expensive, and because they've been cut so long before the actual holiday, they can often look really bad by Christmas day. I got so fed up with buying ugly Christmas trees at exhorbitant prices, I went out and bought an artificial tree. I have not regretted that choice for a minute.

From an environmental standpoint, I am not sure which is worse a real evergreen tree, which involves the use of fuel for shipping, not to mention the energy cost of keeping them cool pre-sale OR an artificial tree that gives me 10 or more years of use before I discard it.

Our local trees don't lend themselves to being used as a substitute for an evergreen. They're either to cumbersome for indoor use, or they suck up lots of water (another environmental issue in an almost water-scarce island like ours) I tried one a few years ago - to keep it green I had to feed it a bucket of water every day!

Actually, an artificial tree won't be discarded entirely - I have salvaged branches from a retired artificial tree which became craft material. Napkin rings, candle rings, mini-wreaths, holiday centerpieces - the opportunities for re-purposing an artificial tree are endless.

Last edited by timzagain; 10-22-2009 at 04:10 PM.
timzagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I agree w/the CL suggestion. There are usually people moving &/or changing trees around this time of year. We got one for $20 a few years ago & it just took a few weeks of looking for the right size/shape to come up for sale. The seller was very nice & even gave us a 3' tabletop tree that she didn't want as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzagain View Post
Actually, an artificial tree won't be discarded entirely - I have salvaged branches from a retired artificial tree which became craft material. Napkin rings, candle rings, mini-wreaths, holiday centerpieces - the opportunities for re-purposing an artificial tree are endless.
I like those ideas! I'll have to try to remember that when the time comes for my tree!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
thruthelookinglass19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
Just a thought... Stay with a real tree this year, and wait until after Xmas... When we went artificial, we bought a tree that we had seen and wanted at Sears. Prior to the Holidays it was expensive, but the day after Xmas it was at 50% off...
I agree - I got mine for 75% off at Target a few days after Christmas. Definitely wait for the deals!!
Offsite 1996 * Pop Century 2006 * Port Orleans French Quarter 2007 * All Star Movies 2008 * Port Orleans Riverside October 2009 * Pop Century November 2009 - What a surprise!! * D23 First Anniversary Party All Star Music March 2010 * Disneyland September 2010 * Port Orleans French Quarter October 2010 * All Star Music (Walt Disney World's 40th Anniversary!) May 2011 * Disneyland's Paradise Pier October 2011 "A Trip to Remember!" * Pop Century March 2012 *

thruthelookinglass19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
KennedyMcKenna
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone, we have decided to wait until AFTER Xmas to get a tree. And, maybe with a little coaxing get a real one this year again, I promise to get rid of all spiders who end up inside by taking them by the leg and gently explaining that they should live outside, not in my house.
KennedyMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: