Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
disneymom2003
DIS Veteran

Extending Cobra Discount?

My husband was laid off in May of this year. We have been receiving A 65% discount on Cobra re: the Obama stimulus package. Has any one heard if this will be extended? He still does not have a job and we could not get insurance on our own (affordable that is) Crossing my fingers
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

All I know is that it goes through the end of December, for those laid off this year and even back in December (maybe November) of last year. I'm out of the loop now, but I haven't seen anything about it being extended.

It was amazing to find out how much hubby's employer had been paying for our insurance...we were so glad for the discount this year. But while he was busy trying to find a job, I was looking into all the insurance options...I ended up contacting a person I found through my local State Farm; she actually does that office's health insurance (b/c SF doesn't do health insurance in WA state anymore) and she sent me out a really comprehensive packet of info with various policies from various companies. Have you found anyone like that yet? Helpful. Unfortunately, for those of us who still want to have babies, it's expensive, b/c adding maternity for the "just in case" stuff bumps that policy up tremendously.

Good luck in finding a policy, and good luck to your husband in finding a job!!!!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
disneymom2003
DIS Veteran

No I haven't started looking yet. The program is suppose to pay for 9 months which will end for us at the end of January. The problem is I have pre existing medical. I work in the beauty industry and although most salons do not offer health insurance we may be able to get it through a group in the beauty industry. It is bad enough that a person gets laid off but for us Cobra would have been $1,300 a month. Certainly can't afford that o unemployment.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

Most new plans waive the pre-existing clause for people who have been insured and have no lapse in coverage. So, if you have been covered without even one day lapse, you may be okay. It is worth checking out.

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
msmayor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan1 View Post
Most new plans waive the pre-existing clause for people who have been insured and have no lapse in coverage. So, if you have been covered without even one day lapse, you may be okay. It is worth checking out.
Exactly...which is why when one is faced with the need to change insurance plans its vitally important to get your ducks in a row BEFORE the policy you're moving from lapses.
Oct 1997: All Star Sports
Oct 2000: Dixie Landings
Aug 2005: Wilderness Lodge
Aug 2008: Shades of Green...Family Grand Gathering
Aug 2010: One Day at MK - cruise stop!
Jun 2014: Boardwalk
msmayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: