Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Question Martini Tasting???

I know that I read somewhere that along with Beer and Wine tastings, the ship does a Martini tasting.

I believe it said 5 mini Martinis for $15.

We have the late dinner seating, and we're interested in giving this a try.
Am I crazy? Do they do it and if so, has anyone done it?

TIA.......
Old 10-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Hi!
I think there are 2 types of martini tastings available. One is a "flight" that you can buy any time from the bar-I've never done that so I'm not sure what it costs-but they basically give you a sample of several types of martinis.

The other type of tasting is an actual class that is scheduled in advance. You need to buy tickets at guest services when you board. You meet in one of the lounges at a scheduled time with a bunch of other people and a CM lectures about the history of the martini-while you try different types. They usually offer the regular gin martini to try first and then olive juice to make it a dirty martini--not too many people really like those

Then come the good ones-a bunch of different flavors.
I don't remember food there...but I think I ate a snack before hand so I wouldn't be too tipsy

These are fun
I think they only have the class type in the afternoon though. So ordering the flight after dinner is an option if a 3:00 pm martini doesn't appeal.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

We did martini tasting on the 4 day this past summer and loved it. We had 5 mini drinks, a dirty one followed by 4 flavored ones - this depends on the bartender conducting the class. She also called up 3 people to each make a martini by guessing how much of each ingredient goes in it. You got to keep the full size drink you made - I did it and it wasn't too bad. They set up tables for many more people than showed up and we all finished the drinks left on the tables. Towards the end she also let anyone come up and have her teach you to make any martini you wanted to learn. I went back up and made a chocolate martini. Needless to say I left the class with 2 regular size drinks and headed to the theater to see Toy Story. I was feeling very good. For our sailing, the class was more than worth the cost.
It was at 5:15 on Nassau day and I think they also offered it again on the sea day.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
*Flower*

That's the one I'm thinking of-

I think what I read said that it was offered at 5.30, and we thought that we'd be doing the early seating; so it wouldn't be feasible.

Now that we're doing late seating- it is, so should I check with DCL to see if it's being offered on my cruise or should I contact my TA??

Thanks so much for the quick responses...... we only have about 40 days til the cruise!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
That's the one I'm thinking of-

I think what I read said that it was offered at 5.30, and we thought that we'd be doing the early seating; so it wouldn't be feasible.

Now that we're doing late seating- it is, so should I check with DCL to see if it's being offered on my cruise or should I contact my TA??

Thanks so much for the quick responses...... we only have about 40 days til the cruise!

Flower I don't think you can get these in advance. I think you have to buy the tickets after you board
Unless you are in a suite-then concierge would get them for you.

Sometimes cruises that have a big group on board (such as a big DIS group) can get private tastings scheduled in advance-we managed that for our PC repo-or rather our Dreams TA who was on the cruise with us did (thanks Tracy). But it was not an easy task to organize. You are probably better off at this date just getting the tickets for yourself.

Have fun
Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
*Flower*

Okay-

So tickets are required.
Do I pick them up from Guest Services on embarkation day?
Or my designated runner does??
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
clten
DIS Veteran

Yes, head to Guest Services to get tickets. We usually do this right on our way in before heading to lunch or our cabin! They are a lot of fun. But if you forget on Embarkation day, go back and check, tickets are available until the tasting fills.

Just wanted to note that we have done 6 or 7 of these tastings and we've only ever been given 4 martini samples (the gin or vodka martini that they offer to make "dirty" and 3 other flavored martinis). I just wanted to mention this so you don't feel like you were gypped if you only get 4 martinis not the 5 that were mentioned earlier. I think the number and type are determined by the person conducting the tastings.

Also, the person conducting it decides if they are giving out extra martinis and sometimes they are full size martinis and sometimes they are the small sample size used in the tastings.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
*Flower*

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Just one more thing that we can add to our quasi-itinerary.........
Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

We did it on our cruise last month and it was the best bang for the buck experience we had!

I was traveling with DD22 and the other three people at our table were solo for the tasting. One lady was with her two teens and "needed a break", one man was "sneaking some adult beverages while his wife was with their toddlers" and one lady was traveling with her sister and the sister was taking a nap. We all became fast friends (of course flowing alcohol contributes to this!) and had the best time. We did get 5 martinis and there were extras at another table that we got to drink. Our presenter spoke very poor english and after 5 mini cocktails we couldn't understand him at all. Anyway, each table of 4-5 got to pick their favorite martini and made a very generous one for each table to share.

For the $15 it costs, we got a lot of quality drinks and laughed a lot.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
lulubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
tinkerrn
Needing 'pixie dust'!!

We did this last month and had a blast. We also had 5 martinis; one being the original and 4 flavored ones. It was just fun meeting people. We had so much fun, we ended up going to the beer tasting 2 days later. We did recieve extra martinis after the tasting.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Livin'4Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerrn View Post
We did this last month and had a blast. We also had 5 martinis; one being the original and 4 flavored ones. It was just fun meeting people. We had so much fun, we ended up going to the beer tasting 2 days later. We did recieve extra martinis after the tasting.
How were the beer tastings? I think this would be great for dh!
Are they the same cost? And times?

Livin'4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
tinkerrn
Needing 'pixie dust'!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'4Disney View Post
How were the beer tastings? I think this would be great for dh!
Are they the same cost? And times?
We loved the beer tasting too. hubby is a martini fan and I am a beer (import) fan. I can not remember what the guys name was that did the tastings, but he was British/Indian. He was very informative and always gave us 'extra' beer/martinis. The beers were Stella, Sam Adams, Boddingtons, Newcastle, and Guinness. Newcastle is a new favorite of mine!! We had the best time and it was by far the best deal we have ever gotten from Disney for a mere $15.00 a person!! I think the beer tasting was on a Wed. at 2:15 in Diversions.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Beer tasting is $12, wine tasting is $12 and martini tasting is $15.

DH did the beer tasting at 2:15 and then we both did the martini tasting at 5:15 the same day, Nassau day. Beer tasting was the same as our martini tasting, they had to finish up what was left on the table. DD and I sat in Diversion watching sports and then when the formal tasting was over we went over and sat with everyone while they finished up all the beer. Several people were going to be staying there for martini tasting as well so it was a fun group.
DD stayed in Diversions watching tv while we did the martini tasting and just as it was ending they were putting out snacks; chips & salsa and such. We all had snacks while we finished up the martinis.

Wine tasting is held in Palo at 3:00 on the sea day. For wine tasting you get 5 red and white wines and then a sparkling wine. At the end you get a small gift. Wine tasting is very much a lesson in wine, they give you a pamphlet to take notes. It's nice but not as relaxed as the other tastings, and they definately kick you out of Palo when it's over no lingering.

These really are fun events and a good way to spend an hour or so, or more if you like chatting with others around you, or you can leave when they are finished up which is roughly 30 minutes. Experiences vary greatly depending on the bartender.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
familyfun5
Mouseketeer

I did this a few weeks ago. it was at 3:00. We had 4 mini drinks with one being the original. I did not care for this so basically I had three minis. The presenter did quiz questions and gave three traditional size drinks away.

I did not feel I got my monies worth. Maybe this is because DH had to leave and get the kids. DH then did the beer tasting at 2:00 on Thursday and enjoyed it. He also felt the beer tasting was worth the $15.
familyfun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
camarks1234
Mouseketeer

We loved it, one of our fave things to do on the ship. We've been 2x and it was different each time.
9/17/09 - BB Cruise

AJ's MAW Pretrip Report
AJ's Post Trip Report Celebration Continued
Photo Album
camarks1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: