Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Budget car rental at PC question...

For our upcoming cruise, our non stop return flight was changed from noon to 7pm. (good ol' AT) so we now have all day to kill and planned to go to Universal for the day.
We've rented from Budget at MCO before but never at PC and I know they allow spouses to drive with no addl. driver fees. Since I plan to send dh to Budget and wait at the port with our kids and luggage, can I send my driver's license with him so I could drive it later too? Do I have to be there in person?
Has anyone else done this?
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Depending on how much space there is on the shuttle, it may or may not be quicker/easier to remain at the port area while he gets the car. Sorry, I don't know about Budget regs...just that I've had no problem renting from them.

If you're getting a car at MCO, join Fastbreak. It will save MAJOR time at MCO, not at port.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
trimix
DIS Veteran

I absolutely say go to Budget with DH. You'll easily fit on the shuttle, and the driver will help with luggage. Taking the shuttle will be more convenient than sitting around waiting for your husband to come back.

One bit of advice: Before signing for the car at the PC site, REVIEW THE PAPERWORK! I had a great discount for the car I booked, and was so tired that day I wasn't paying close attention. Two days later, back at home, I noticed I was charged the full rate instead of the discounted rate. Nothing has been resolved.

I don't know if I just had some bad luck, if it is one bad apple at that Budget office, or if that office intentionally attempts to take advantage of sleep-deprived individuals coming off a cruise.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've picked up cars from Budget at the port several times and always found them to be great. However, I do go in with my printed out confirmation. The only problem has been that at least once there and once at the Doubletree at WDW, the car with a "full" gas tank wasn't full. At Cape Canaveral, they just wrote on my paperwork that the car wasn't full. Then I got to have a "quickie" fight with the guy when I dropped it off. At WDW, I had to wait while they gave me a totally different car.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

If AT changed your flight time and you are not happy with the change call them and get your flight changed to a time you would be happy with. They should do this at no additional cost to you since it was them that changed the flight.

If you are happy with your new time then keep it. But when you say you will spend the day at Universal will it be worth it to pay the admission price to go there for a few hours? Once you pick up your car, drive to Universal, park, and then get your tickets it will probably be around 10:00 or so; then you will want to leave Universal around 4:15 to go to the airport, turn in your car and then check in for your flight, check your bags and proceed to security. MCO is definately one of those airports you want to be at 2 hours before flight time because you never know how long the security lines will be.

Just something to think about time wise.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
I absolutely say go to Budget with DH. You'll easily fit on the shuttle, and the driver will help with luggage. Taking the shuttle will be more convenient than sitting around waiting for your husband to come back.

One bit of advice: Before signing for the car at the PC site, REVIEW THE PAPERWORK! I had a great discount for the car I booked, and was so tired that day I wasn't paying close attention. Two days later, back at home, I noticed I was charged the full rate instead of the discounted rate. Nothing has been resolved.

I don't know if I just had some bad luck, if it is one bad apple at that Budget office, or if that office intentionally attempts to take advantage of sleep-deprived individuals coming off a cruise.
Thanks for the tip about checking before signing. It wasn't that I didn't think we'd fit on the shuttle, it's just that it will be us and 2 kids on a 7 nt cruise probably 4 bags plus smaller totes & carryons. Friends are going too (family of 5) so we were planning to send the dh's while we wait with the kids instead of all of us and so much stuff lugged around.
I was more concerned would they refuse me as a legit. addl driver if I'm not personally there to show my face. They'd still have my dl #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
If AT changed your flight time and you are not happy with the change call them and get your flight changed to a time you would be happy with. They should do this at no additional cost to you since it was them that changed the flight.

We did change at no cost. They cancelled all of the earlier non stops and put us on a connecting flight around the same time. My dad gets bad claustrophobia on planes and would rather snooze at the Hyatt in a day room than have to connect in ATL. So we requested the next available non stop which is 7:21 or so. Good thing I'm off the next day.

If you are happy with your new time then keep it. But when you say you will spend the day at Universal will it be worth it to pay the admission price to go there for a few hours? Once you pick up your car, drive to Universal, park, and then get your tickets it will probably be around 10:00 or so; then you will want to leave Universal around 4:15 to go to the airport, turn in your car and then check in for your flight, check your bags and proceed to security. MCO is definately one of those airports you want to be at 2 hours before flight time because you never know how long the security lines will be.

Just something to think about time wise.
We have APs to Universal so we don't mind only having a few hours. Also parking would be free and 10% off lunch in parks or CityWalk. Still better than 6 hrs in MCO. My kids would go nuts. We have to do something besides sit around and this is least amount of $ out of pocket. The $ 66 car rental is much cheaper than $140 originally were paying for one way DCL bus so we could use onboard check in. But why pay all that for the bus and then rent a car from MCO when we could just rent at the port?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
discorsner
DIS Veteran

I have used this budget at the port after two different Disney cruises. Both times the shuttle has been timely and a good experience.

However, with that being said both times we had a bad experience overall because they did not have the type of car ready that we had chosen. Both times they tried to give us a smaller car than we reserved which would not work for the number and amount of people that we had with us.

Once would have been just an accident but this happened twice on two trips a year apart. The first time we had to squeeze into something uncomfortable and the second time we had to wait for our car type (this time minivan) to get returned. We couldnt switch this time because we had my parents with us and would not have fit in what they had.

Both times we got attitude from the desk girls who were busy and therefore in a bad mood. I was polite (even the second time) but I expressed my displeasure with them not having the type of vehicle that they allowed me to reserve. They just looked at me like I was being unreasonable. Ugh.
January 2014 Wilderness Lodge/Disney Dream June/July 2013 Beach Club Villas/ Vero Beach/ Disney Dream January 2013 Disney Wonder November 2012 Boardwalk June 2012 AKV/ Disney Fantasy/ SSR January 2012 Split stay Boardwalk/Grand Floridian September/October 2011 Port Orleans Riverside June/July 2011 Split stay CBR and Beach Club May 2010 First time to Disneyland!!!May 2010 Pop CenturyAugust 2009 Off Property Rental HouseMay 2009 POFQ/ Disney Wonder/ PolynesianMay 2008 Disney Wonder/ All-Star SportsMay 2006 All-Star Movies August 2002 Coronado SpringsMay 2002 Wilderness LodgeJanuary - May 1998 WDW College Program May 1996 Caribbean BeachAugust 1994 Off-Property- 1st trip to the World!
discorsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by discorsner View Post
I have used this budget at the port after two different Disney cruises. Both times the shuttle has been timely and a good experience.

However, with that being said both times we had a bad experience overall because they did not have the type of car ready that we had chosen. Both times they tried to give us a smaller car than we reserved which would not work for the number and amount of people that we had with us.

Once would have been just an accident but this happened twice on two trips a year apart. The first time we had to squeeze into something uncomfortable and the second time we had to wait for our car type (this time minivan) to get returned. We couldnt switch this time because we had my parents with us and would not have fit in what they had.

Both times we got attitude from the desk girls who were busy and therefore in a bad mood. I was polite (even the second time) but I expressed my displeasure with them not having the type of vehicle that they allowed me to reserve. They just looked at me like I was being unreasonable. Ugh.

Wow, and I was hoping to use my BJ's coupon for a free upgrade (from full size to premium) It seems I keep hearing bad experiences from all the rental companies at PC. Much more so than MCO. I wonder why?

I think we could cram into a smaller car if we had to but they better knock somthing off the price.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Wow, and I was hoping to use my BJ's coupon for a free upgrade (from full size to premium) It seems I keep hearing bad experiences from all the rental companies at PC. Much more so than MCO. I wonder why?

I think we could cram into a smaller car if we had to but they better knock somthing off the price.
It's all about supply and demand. When rentals are reserved they don't know what types of cars are going to be returned to them at the remote locations. Their supply to rent out is dependant upon what cars are returned to them. So with everyone getting off a cruise ship picking up rentals in the morning, but the majority of the people returning cars won't be there until later in the morning or early afternoon.
Whereas at the airport there is a constant turn over all day to cover their rentals.

To me you would have a better shot of any of the agencies having your car available on Sunday morning rather than Thurs. or Sat. morning. I'm not sure if any ships depart on Friday and I'm pretty sure none depart on Wednesday. You would have cars being returned Sat. morning into Sat. afternoon so they would be available for the Sunday rental pick ups.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It's really funny...we've had a lot more problem with MCO than with Cape Canaveral. But, as above...they SHOULD be able to have the car you have ordered there for you, but it doesn't always work that way. PC does run tight. We watched as a guy was arguing with the manager (waiting for the other person to take care of us). Seems he had done a price inquiry but not actually booked a car and thought he had booked. The manager kept telling him that ALL their cars were reserved and he couldn't get one as a walk in...no confirmation number = no car.

We've gotten several upgrades at PC based on what is supposed to be sent back to MCO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: