Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Using DVC points in Europe

Hi everyone,
One of the key attractions for our family in buying DVC was the opportunity not just to use the points for trips to WDW, but also to use them for European vacations.
I would be grateful to learn how you have used your points to see the continent. Have you used them in Austria? Is it worth it to see DLP? What about exchanging the points through RCI?
For our last few summers, we have positioned ourselves in different European locations as a base for a week or more, and toured from there. We would love to mix up the vacations to do this, say every three years.
What do you recommend?

Best, and TIA

And p.s. Is it just me, or is Corrie getting a bit weak lately? (Of course, here in Canada we're way behind the UK broadcasts!)
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I have an Annual Pass, so I visit quite often. My first visit was only 5 days after opening and since then, I have visited at least twice a year, more since I have an AP.

The first few years, I always stayed at the Disney hotels, have been in all of them except the Disneyland Hotel. However, since a couple of years I prefer to stay off-site (something I would never consider at WDW) at a very close-by Ibis Hotel which I like very much. I rather spend my money on good food than on an overpriced room of questionable quality.

As for using points to pay the DLRP resorts, I wouldn't recommend it as you will be "paying" much more than if you would pay cash. As soon as you use your points for anything else than DVC accomodations, you usually get a bad deal.

I read in several post that it's a better deal to rent your points for $10/pt and use the money received to finance the Non-DVC vacation.

Marc
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Revtel
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at DLRP on a few occasions in the past, but have not done so for some years now. It is VERY poor value for money.

Not only are the points per room very high, but when you factor in the booking fee and the compulsory length of stay passes for all the party, it is not a good deal.

Not only that, but the place is full of French!
Revtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: