Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

No longer solo at YC in Jan! Update-p.16- photos & leaving in the AM!!!

Some of you know that I returned from WDW at the beginning of this month a very unhappy camper. I was sick pretty much the entire trip with a fever. It was just me and my DBF. I was looking forward to spending time with him since we never see each other because he works in a family business so much (leaves at 4am, gets to my house by 8pm). Needless to say I was very disappointed to not have more quality time with him. If you are interested in the TR, there is a link in my signature. Even though I will miss my DBF & dog, Isis, terribly, I HAD to book a January trip. There is actually another reason for the trip...I suffer from severe http://Seasonal Affective Disorder o...r Depression". I try to get to FL every year sometime in the dead of winter to pull me out of the funk & give me something to look forward to. Last winter was particularly bad for me because of a week-long power loss due to an ice storm. The power loss resulted in the death of my Grandmother who I have lived next door to or with for my entire life & cared for the last few years. Last December was rough. This December, I am going to try really hard to focus on the positive & spend a lot of time with family- as well as plan my behind off for my January trip!
I've been known to ramble on & on & overload the reports with photos, so prepare yourselves! I will post some past WL photos and my ADRís soon. I hope you follow along.

Last edited by aprilisis; 01-13-2010 at 10:56 AM.
aprilisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

How did I miss this? Glad you started a new ptr. I love looking at your pictures. You will be well, you will be well, you will be well.

Ginny

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
aaaateamsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Here is a little overview:
The cast of characters is pretty smallÖ.just me! I have asked a few different friends if they want to join me, but so far no one can. John NEVER takes weekends off from work because they are too busy, so that rules him out, too. I have been to WDW 2 times before by myself & I enjoyed it to a degree each time. Now- I say ďto a degreeĒ because each time had a different circumstance associated with it. The first time I went to WDW solo was in January of 2005. I met a friend I used to work with & we went to Universal together the first day. She stayed over with me at WL- AND she was sick. Not only did she keep me up all night snoring- she was sick with a terrible cold AND gave me that cold. I also got a flat tire on my rental car & had to wait 3 hours for their roadside service to get to me to change it. That put a bit of a damper on that trip. It was only a head cold, though, so it wasnít TOO bad. My next solo trip was in November 2006 & earlier in the year I had lost my Grandfather (who was more like my Dad) and the relationship I was in had just fallen apart (In hindsight that was the best thing that ever happened to me, but it still hurt then). It wasnít a bad trip, but I was overly sentimental & a little sad the whole time. I didnít have anyone to meet up & hang out with at all, either. This time my situation is much different.

I am flying Southwest for the first time ever. Iím a little apprehensive about it, too, just for the lack of assigned seating. I DID go for the extra $10 for the ďEarly Bird Check-inĒ, so I will be able to tell you if it is worth it or not. Although- if any of you have done this before, I would be happy to hear your experiences with it! Since John works in Woonsocket & has to be there EARLY, I asked if he would drop me off at TF Green airport in Warwick, RI. Thankfully, he agreed! I am arriving in WDW on January 14th & departing on January 18th. It is not a long trip, but it will give me the chance to make up for what I missed out on during the last trip.

Here is my plan so far:
Thursday Jan. 14th Ė Arrive at 11am & take Magical Express over to WL. (I havenít done this in 3 years, so I will have NO idea where Iím going or what to do!) Iím planning to use online check-in, so hopefully my room will be ready. I am also hoping my Garden Grocer order will be there when I arrive. I plan on heading to Downtown Disney & SHOPPING. Iím also dying to try the food at Paradiso 37. If not, I belong to the Rainforest Cafť safari club, so I can always go there. Iím hoping to take tons of photos, shop my behind off & soak it all in. Then I will head back to WL & maybe stop for a drink at Territory Lounge. Iím planning to head back to the room exhausted every day, so I should fall right to sleep.
That is just day 1 so far. I have to actually go and EAT during my lunch hour now!

An old, scanned photo from our room at WL in 2001:
Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
How did I miss this? Glad you started a new ptr. I love looking at your pictures. You will be well, you will be well, you will be well.

Ginny
Yay! Ginny is my first reader!!! Thank you for reading!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Um excuse me.......why didn't you tell us you had started a pre-trip report? I just happened upon it. Consider yourself scolded. Just kidding!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 10-22-2009 at 08:52 AM.
mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Yay! You started your PTR.

I'm so excited we are going to be in Disney at the same time. I can't wait to see how our plans overlap.

Taking Magical Express is super easy! You'll be fine.

I usually fly Southwest and I love them. I did pay for the early bird check in too especially for the way home so I don't have to worry about checking into the flight. I like the no assigned seating, it seems like people get into their seats quicker if they are not looking for a specific one.
Lady Lallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

We fly Southwest often. Have never paid the extra fee. You can check in on line 24 hours in advance and get your boarding assignment then. It is always nice to get A but B is not bad. They do not overbook like a lot of airlines.

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
aaaateamsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

need to go back and read what you have so far...just subbing in for the moment

be back later!!!
longing2Batdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Um excuse me.......why didn't you tell us you had started a pre-trip report? I just happened upon it. Consider yourself scolded. Just kidding!
Sorry! I am a slacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Yay! You started your PTR.
I'm so excited we are going to be in Disney at the same time. I can't wait to see how our plans overlap.
Taking Magical Express is super easy! You'll be fine.
I usually fly Southwest and I love them. I did pay for the early bird check in too especially for the way home so I don't have to worry about checking into the flight. I like the no assigned seating, it seems like people get into their seats quicker if they are not looking for a specific one.

That is good to know. All I know about Southwest, I know from the show ďAirlineĒ which was always about disgruntled customers.
I hope we get to meet up & hang out a little- that would be fun! Are there signs to direct me to Magical Express?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
We fly Southwest often. Have never paid the extra fee. You can check in on line 24 hours in advance and get your boarding assignment then. It is always nice to get A but B is not bad. They do not overbook like a lot of airlines.
Iím glad to hear that you have had luck with Southwest. After I booked, I was regretting my decision, but not anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post

need to go back and read what you have so far...just subbing in for the moment
be back later!!!
Yay! Youíre here!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Yes, there are signs. Also when you get your Magical Express booklet it will have a little map in there too I believe.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Yes, there are signs. Also when you get your Magical Express booklet it will have a little map in there too I believe.
THANKS! That is good to know. I could picture myself wandering the airport looking like a lost tourist! I usually arrive at MCO & feel completely at home & know just where to go for the rental & baggage, so this will definitely be a different experience for me.
Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Sorry for another phone update. Tonight we went to see David Gray at the Wang Theater in Boston. I love going to Boston, anyway, but this was my 1st visit to this particular theater. It was built in 1925 & was just what you would expect from that era- very opulent. I will post the couple of photos I took from my cell on Monday. The concert was great. David Gray's music is pretty mellow, but THANK GOODNESS John stopped off for ear plugs along the way. It was much more enjoyable for that reason. When we got home, Isis completely ignored me & she STILL is 3 hours later.
I dropped off my death trap rental car today & can finally pick up my car tomorrow. I know it sounds silly, but I missed my car! I also decided that for my only 2 grandparents I have left (stepmom's mom & stepdad's mom), I am going to scan tons of old photos & use some new ones to make photo dvds set to music for them for Christmas. I just hope they will like it & that it won't make them too sentimental. What do you guys think? Should I drop it or continue?
Other than that, I am hoping that tomorrow night (really tonight!) John & I get to go back to an inexpensive Italian restaurant we discovered last week. They had $8 entrees on the menu & the food was awesome! That's it for this weekend other than household stuff- laundry, cleaning, etc.
I have no idea why I can't sleep tonight, because I am exhausted. I think I may try now, though.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Friday I finally dropped off my rental car & got my OWN car back. I was SO happy! I took a few photos from Worcester airport while I was waiting for a ride home (after dropping off the rental).

Then Friday night was David Gray at the Wang in Boston. I took some cell photos- they arenít good quality, but here they are:

Saturday night & Sunday I began scanning in old photos for my holiday gift projects (the photo dvds for my step-Grandmothers). While I was scanning, I thought I may do a pet one for my mom of all of the pets we have had. I took a few photos of my Momís dog, then the neighborís dog showed up & I thought maybe I would get them a photo gift with their dog on it. Here are a few shots:
My momís dog, Gracie (120 pound yellow lab)

A couple of Isis:

The neighborís dog, Brady- he is a much smaller yellow lab:

I'm going to post more PTR stuff today, too (I hope!)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

So glad you were able to get rid of the rental car.

I think the pet photo gift is a really great idea for you mom!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
So glad you were able to get rid of the rental car.

I think the pet photo gift is a really great idea for you mom!
Thanks!! I missed my car so much- I mean- I only drive a Hyundai Santa Fe (nothing fancy), but I missed being a little "higher up" so I could see more in front of me. I really have had great luck with this car- almost 200,000 miles & so far I have only had to get general maintenance done to it. (Knock on wood) Plus it is strange, but I am attached to the car, you know?

I love your itinerary cards, by the way!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: