Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
NaplesRI
DIS Veteran

Does Disney only want you if you stay on their property?

I am beginning to believe that Disney doesn't want you if you don't stay and spend ALL your money with them.
I can't believe they raised parking to $14- I thought it was bad at $12 when we went in March. (at least we got a free pin for trading- do they still do that?)
Now the Photopass CD preorder is available only with a code you get with your papers? Well if you are staying offsite do you lose that discount also?
I can understand their wanting to make as much money as they can- they are a business after all.
But, from the perspective of a family that wants to stay all together and cannot afford to do so on Disney property- they are killing us with all these little price increases.
In these tought times, I hope they aren't driving the everyday family away....
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

I guess that it depends on your perspective. I don't think that they are discouraging offsite guests from coming to the parks so much as they wish to encourage guests to stay onsite. I look at things like free parking, DME, EMH, discount Photopass codes, 90+10 ADRs and such as a perk for paying the premium cost of a WDW resort room.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
HamTown
Friend of the Banned

Busch Gardens has similar parking costs, so I don't think that's an onsite/offsite issue.

Maybe the inability to preorder photopass is a way to cut down on the sharing?
HamTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

I feel the same way you do. We have only gone to disney twice as a family (of 5) but both times we spent 10-12 days. I cannot afford a trip of that length with the accomodations I would want (ie a separate bedroom for privacy for my DH & I). Our first trip we stayed at a junior suite at a Marriot Residence Inn, & our second trip we stayed at WH.

I agree I thought parking was high at $12.00 per day. $14.00 is ridiculous (As is the $32.00 double stroller rental ) We had over 150 photos taken by photopass last year. I spent $111.00 for a photo book! But I refuse to pay full price for a photopass CD. I think it is just too high.

I did price out the 4/3 deals & we could have gotten a trip for a decent price (AKL 1 bedroom suite for under $3500.00)....unfortunately it is not in the cards for us at this time. The soonest we can go back is next fall. If they offer a discount like this again, I may try staying on property for the 1st time. If not, I may reconsider going at all since I feel nickel & dimed while I am there.

Every price increase they make, adds more time between our trips. Every price increase I tell my DH about makes him NOT want to go back AT ALL!

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
AntePrincess
Not a princess... yet.

Quote:
Does Disney only want you if you stay on their property?
Disney is a business. It's a recession. I think it makes perfect sense for them to attempt to quell their competition by cutting into the savings you'd achieve by staying off site. If I were in that business, I'd have been doing it for ages bit by bit. Of course, most people aren't so well researched that they know about the parking fees or the stroller rentals, the majority of their visitors don't know what PhotoPass is until they reach the parks, and so on. What they don't know ahead of time isn't going to influence whether they go to the parks or not.

On the flip side, off-site hotels that want to stay in business have to ante up. In this case, they can respond by offering convenient complimentary shuttles, so you don't have to pay that parking fee and cheaper stroller rentals from their lobby. Those that aren't offering included breakfasts can add that in to help reduce your costs. Why aren't people as upset that the off-site hotels aren't taking up the competition?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

I'll gladly spend the $14.00 to avoid the Disney buses. The convenience of parking up front (I'm handicap) is priceless. I've come to dislike the buses because some of the drivers don't want to be bothered with you if you are in a wheelchair. That's not to say, we haven't met some incredible drivers too! I just like the ability to come and go on my schedule.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTown View Post
Busch Gardens has similar parking costs, so I don't think that's an onsite/offsite issue.

ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
ctinct
DIS Veteran

It is a lot to park, but on the other hand, the Six Flags near us is an obscene $15.
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
MissyDVC
Well, technically, you never stated that you put on your flame suit
I have been hysterically laughing for the last 10 minutes
Gave a great gift, along with her dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTown View Post

MissyDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRI View Post
I am beginning to believe that Disney doesn't want you if you don't stay and spend ALL your money with them.
I can't believe they raised parking to $14- I thought it was bad at $12 when we went in March. (at least we got a free pin for trading- do they still do that?)
Parking is free with an AP. SW, US, BG and even local amusement parks charge parking.

Quote:
Now the Photopass CD preorder is available only with a code you get with your papers? Well if you are staying offsite do you lose that discount also?
If I read it correctly it is only offered to the people with a package. We have an AP room rate reserved and as of now we did not get a discount code. I am happy with our pay costs so I will either pay the price or not buy the CD. You do not have to buy the CD to have a great Disney trip.

Quote:
I can understand their wanting to make as much money as they can- they are a business after all.
But, from the perspective of a family that wants to stay all together and cannot afford to do so on Disney property- they are killing us with all these little price increases.
In these tought times, I hope they aren't driving the everyday family away....
The parks still seem crowded and the discounts for staying on-site seem good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNJ View Post
I feel the same way you do. We have only gone to disney twice as a family (of 5) but both times we spent 10-12 days. I cannot afford a trip of that length with the accomodations I would want (ie a separate bedroom for privacy for my DH & I). Our first trip we stayed at a junior suite at a Marriot Residence Inn, & our second trip we stayed at WH.

I agree I thought parking was high at $12.00 per day. $14.00 is ridiculous (As is the $32.00 double stroller rental ) We had over 150 photos taken by photopass last year. I spent $111.00 for a photo book! But I refuse to pay full price for a photopass CD. I think it is just too high.

I did price out the 4/3 deals & we could have gotten a trip for a decent price (AKL 1 bedroom suite for under $3500.00)....unfortunately it is not in the cards for us at this time. The soonest we can go back is next fall. If they offer a discount like this again, I may try staying on property for the 1st time. If not, I may reconsider going at all since I feel nickel & dimed while I am there.

Every price increase they make, adds more time between our trips. Every price increase I tell my DH about makes him NOT want to go back AT ALL!
How many of those 10-12 days are you spending at a Disney park? Many Disney trips are 7 days or less. They spend all the days in the park, do not rent a car, take DME, use EM hours and now get the discount on PP.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
paladin
DIS Veteran

It isn't just Disney - Universal is also $14.00, though I think SeaWorld is still $12.00.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

Like someone else said Disney IS a business. Of course they want you to stay there the whole time. At the end of the day they want to make the most money and if you are there you are a captive audience.

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
mrsg00fy
Mouseketeer

Disney is a business and they want as much of your vacation dollar as they can get. The MYW tickets pricing is an example of them enticing you to spend more time....and hence more money...in the parks.

With the cost of parking, (which I also believe is insane at even the current level...), it makes it that much more economical to stay on site rather than at a local hotel/ motel. The lower category of hotel you stay in, the more it can make sense to stay on site. ie, The current offer of value resorts at $74 per night is a great deal if you compare it to staying off site at a motel, particularly if you factor in the cost of parking now going to $14 which effectively brings the rate to $60 per night. Add to that the convenience of commuting to the parks, the cleanliness and beauty of the grounds even at the value resorts, and it makes staying on site versus off a really good deal.

However, if you do need the more spacious accomodations with the kitchen facilities, it is VERY expensive to stay on property. So, staying off site is a much better deal, even factoring in a $14 parking fee.
mrsg00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
pezheadmeg
feminsit turned fashion student

$14 a day for parking is really not much at all. I know the last time I drove down to Six Flags, it was a small fortune to park.

If I have to haul things onto Manhattan via car, I'm paying $30 for half a day. And that's with off-peak weekend rates. It really is all relative. Paying for parking is just one of those things you get used to.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin View Post
It isn't just Disney - Universal is also $14.00, though I think SeaWorld is still $12.00.
Universal charges parking fees at their hotels if you are a guest, too.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: