Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

No! Don't skip Epcot! It is our whole family's fave after MK! My kids have always liked it, too. We like to do 2 days there, but 1 is better than nothing, although, like a pp said, 1 1/2 there and 1/2 at AK good be good, too. AK just really doesn't do it for me. There are things worth seeing, certainly, but I have been to very nice zoos many times, so we mainly skip things like the jungle trek.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
marymac123
DIS Veteran

I agree-Don't skip Epcot! My DD4 Loved it more than Animal Kingdom.

marymac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

This would likely be how we approach a 6 park day trip

Day 1 - Magic Kingdom
Day 2 - Animal Kingsom & Downtown Disney
Day 3 - Waterpark & Boardwalk
Day 4 - Disney Hollywood Studios
Day 5 - Epcot
Day 6 - Magic Kingdom

For us, Magic Kingdom is a 1st and last day must.
Animal Kingdom is a shorter day thus you could do Downtown Disney for dinner and evening
Waterparks are our "down days" as the water is refreshing and we sleep like rocks at night. Waterparks close early so Boardwalk is a nice dinner and evening to enjoy the activities on the Boardwalk.
Then to do DHS, EPCOT and MK for the last three days leaves all teh best for last in our opinion.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
itchin2go
DIS Veteran

Epcot is my daughter's favorite park. If we could only do one park, it would be Epcot. AK is our least favorite.

Things to do at Epcot:

Soarin
Turtle Talk
Nemo
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
Imagination with Figment
Kim Possible Adventures (!!!)
Jumping fountains outside Imagination pavilion
Club Cool (free tastings of Cokes from different countries)
Character Stop in Future World (great way to get all the biggies under your belt in efficient fashion)
Princesses around World Showcase
Chocolate Crepes in France
Pastries in France
Pastries in Norway
Kaki Gori (like a Japanese snow cone)
Miyuki the candy lady
Kidcot stops (especially her name being written in Chinese)
Maelstrom in Norway
Boat Ride in Mexico
Pretzel in Germany
Bears in Canada

You CAN get the rides done in one day, no problem. Then soak up as much as you can of the rest of it and go from there.

Our first trip, I planned our first day at Epcot, because a guide book suggested it. The thought was, once a kid sees MK, nothing else is good enough. Well, we had SO much fun at Epcot, we went the next day as well.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
RoraBorieAlice
Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
I would not skip Epcot. The adults will likely enjoy Epcot a lot and so will the DD, especially things like Nemo, Imagination, etc. They've really been trying to make Epcot more kid friendly. AK is not our thing - been there, left after lunch, no desire to go back any time soon. The safari was fun once. Lion King show is one of the best in WDW but short and has long waits. Nemo show is the corniest, cheesiest sounding thing I've ever had to suffer through at WDW and that is saying something; visually stunning, musically hokey (but then I'm a musician so I have higher standards than many). AK is a beautifully themed park from a design standpoint - except Dinoland, which should be blown up and bulldozed as soon as possible - it is a disgrace to all things Disney. I can't fathom that they allowed Dinoland to be built. An abomonation, IMHO. The bird show at AK is funny. I would maybe do a half day at AK and Epcot on the second day, but definitely at least one full day at Epcot, especially for the adults - why should the kids have all the fun.
You have taken the words out of my mouth!!! AK is my least favorite but totally worth a visit for a first timer! EPCOT has come a LOOOOONNNNNNG way since the 80's!! The kid cot stations are fun and the Kim Possiable challenge is fun for both adults and kids! Me and my husband did it last week and it is just the two of us!! I also made him do the Kid Cot mask thing because it was his birthday I am such a nice wife!! They have made EPCOT a lot more family friendly then it was. Characters in most countries and always something for them to do!!! I would make time for Both Parks but plan a trip back to Epcot at the end of your ANimal Kingdom Day!!!!
I took my First Cruise in November of 2012 with 7 Nights On The Fantasy, My Second One in May of 2013 with 5 nights on The Wonder, My Third in October of with 4 nights On The Dream and am leaving for my Forth on October 29th for 4 Nights on the Dream!
I am on twitter @RoraBorieAlice #lushcrew
I love my Husband , my Friends , #Duffmeister, my IPhone 5 and my Kindle!
I love living 14 miles from Disney !!!!
RoraBorieAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

I haven't been to WDW in 20 years. But when I went as a kid (I was 10 and my brother was 7) we both LOVED LOVED LOVED Epcot. In fact, I remember Epcot better than I remember the Magic Kingdom. My brother also remembers Epcot very well. So with that theory, we are doing 2 days in Epcot. One of those days, we plan to sleep in because World Showcase opens at 11. Thus one day we will try to get all of Futureworld accomplished and we will leave most of the World Showcase (except for Canada and UK and maybe France) for the second day. We plan to see the live shows, do Kidkot stops, eat at Akershus, meet princesses at the character spots on our World Showcase day. Based on my review of DIS and the Unofficial Guide, Epcot has only gotten better since I went to WDW in 1989.

We have 5 touring days + two half days due to travel. This is our plan:

Day 1: Afternoon in Magic Kingdom
Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Epcot
Day 4: Epcot
Day 5: Hollywood Studios
Day 6: Animal Kingdom
Day 7: Morning in Magic Kingdom
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
henrylovespooh
DIS Veteran

Do NOT SKIP EPCOT!!!

My DH loves it just as much as the kids.

They love snacking around the world, including snow cones (kaki gori) in Japan, the boat ride in Mexico (small kids love it), playing in Innoventions, the fountain, and the characters.

There is a fire truck in one of the Innoventions buildings where you can get a picture of your child standing on the steps of the fire truck, and he can decorate the picture with a dalmation, fireman's hat, etc. There's even an opportunity for him to be in his own video game!

We find the lines for characters much shorter in Epcot than at MK.

Lots of food choices there for adults too.

My kids love walking through the hedge maze in the UK area - and Pooh is there too!

My kids (6 and 8) love Journey into Imagination with Figment and the Nemo theming of the Living Seas pavillion. There's a play area with the sharks from Nemo that my kids love, and they love looking at the aquarium stuff too. And of course, Turtle Talk with Crush.

My kids like Epcot better than Hollywood Studios by far. My son loves animals so he loves Animal Kindgom, but we usually only spend half a day there.
Swan 1997 * Poly 1996 * CSR 2002 * WL 2003 * ASMo 2005 & 2006 * Dolphin 2007 * Poly 2008 * AKL 2009 * AKL 2010 * CSR 2012
henrylovespooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
ktlm
DIS Veteran

My DD's favorite park after MK is Epcot. She has been when she was 2 yrs 10 months and again at 3. If your DD likes Princesses at all, she will absolutely adore Epcot. The WS is full of Princesses with fairly short lines in the afternoon. She loves the Kidcot stations, the entertainers in WS, the boat ride in Mexico and just exploring World showcase. She really liked the movie in China, but that is the only one we have tried so far. On the FW side, she loved the Nemo Ride, Turtle Talk with Crush, Journey into imagination, and the areas after those rides. She is not tall enough for Soarin and Test Track yet, but I know she would love them both. She also loves both Akershus (princesses) and Biergarten (german band with a dance floor) restaurants. I would at least spend a full day at Epcot. I'd probably spend a day in each park as I hate skipping one. Were it not for the Lion King show (which she absolutely loves), DD would probably pick 2 days in Epcot and skip AK. AK closes early so if you have hoppers, you could also spend 1 day at Epcot and then the 2nd day go to AK for a while and then hop over to Epcot. Epcot is a must do!!!!!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #24
itchin2go
DIS Veteran

Oh, I forgot to add, some of my best vacation pictures are in Epcot: the Shark in the Seas pavilion, the troll in Norway, and we love standing across the lagoon from the giant golf ball and posing our hands like we're holding it... makes such cute pictures.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
OJMom
Earning My Ears

My 5 year old twins LOVE EPCOT! We spent two full days and two half days there, their choice, during our trip in April. We rode Test Track so many times I lost count. And they are already talking about doing more Kim Possible adventures when we return next spring. And the Akershus breakfast is a great Princess character meal. AK is worth a half day visit to ride the Safari and see "It's Tough to Be a Bug" but if I had to choose, it would be two days in EPCOT!
OJMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
drdoyle
Earning My Ears

I'm another who would recommend going to Epcot. I was not sure my DD6 at the time of our first trip would enjoy Epcot and it turned out to be her second favorite park. Test Track has been a favorite from day 1 and Innoventions makes learning fun. She also loved coloring the mask at the kidcot stations in the World Showcase. My daughter loves meeting characters and collecting autographs. In World Showcase you can meet Mulan (China), Snow White (Germany), Jasmine and/or Alladin (Morrocco), Belle and/or Aurora (France), Alice and/or Mary Poppins, Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore (U.K.) and Koda and Kenai (Canada).

While we enjoy Animal Kingdom, we are usually finished by 1:00-2:00 on an EMH morning. Half day touring for us. We saw Lion King our first trip and while DD enjoyed it...it's a little too long between the wait and then the show. We have not seen Nemo yet.

So I recommend both parks. If you have park hoppers, I would go to Animal Kingdom on your F! night. A half day of touring then back to the resort to relax until the evening.

Have a great trip whatever you decide!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
RobPuffdaddy
Disney Junkie

For a 5 year old you can not miss AK, there is so much for her to see. You would be upset if you do not go and see for yourself. With that said though, I think there is so much more to see at EPCOT that one day would not be enought time... I would go to EPCOT first and at least concentrate on Future World and plan to spend the entire day there. If you are able to do everything and still have time left then you can try to go to World Showcase...But make sure you take your time and see everthing in Future World. Then on another day get to AK at rope drop and if you do, in my experience, you can do everything there in about 6 hours or so, then you can go back to EPCOT and do World Showcase and stay for Illuminations.
RobPuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #28
Vipper of Vipp
Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!

Sorry, but I disagree with most in this thread.

EPCOT has a few nice headliner rides. My 5 & 3 year old sons did like Soarin and Test Track, but the rest was a real letdown.

AK on the other hand was our big surprise of the trip.
Vipper of Vipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #29
shelemm
DIS Veteran

For many families, EPCOT is a winner. But for a first time visit with a child under 7, DO NOT MISS AK!!!! If you return when the child gets older, maybe the magic of AK can wear off a little, but for your family, AK is perfect.
shelemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #30
amyj1024
Mouseketeer

I would skip AK or MAYBE do a 1/2day at AK and definately do Epcot.

I also think your appreciation/enjoyment of AK depends on your home zoo experiences. Honestly, I wasn't that thrilled with AK--my 5 year old was not a big thrill ride junkie--so we skipped Everest and Kali. And we thought she was too young for it's a bugs life. She did REALLY enjoy the Nemo Musical, and the boneyard. But other than that it was "eh.. " for me. We went on the safari, but I really wasn't that impressed, sorry. It was SUPER hot when we were there last October...and it gets really congested in the walk ways so it was hard to manuever around the park.

We have pretty good zoo here--so a lot of the animals at AK we have seen...we couldn't figure out how to get very close to the tree of life unless we got in line for Bug's life...all in all I was disappointed.

But both my 2 year old and 5 year old had a blast in Epcot and we only had 1/2 a day there (since we split the day between Epcot and AK). Our next trip we plan on skipping AK and doing 2 days at Epcot. We also plan on doing the Kim Possible thing around the World showcase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: