Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Kitt_D
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Skip Epcot? Epcot 1 day? OR Skip AK, Epcot 2 days?! HELP!!

Our first WDW trip- Me, DH, DD5 and my parents (mid 50s). Jan. 7-Jan.14

I need some serious INPUT here, people!

Which do you think is more enjoyable for a 5 year old- Epcot or Animal Kingdom?

We'll be in The World for 6 park-touring days, (not including arrival and departure days). I have one day scheduled completely "off" from park touring (to see Fantasmic at HS in the eve), and one "free" day to use however we want once we've been there a while (either return to a previously visited park, or spend in the resorts or DTD). Initially I had figured we would just skip Epcot due to it's size and the "stigma" that it's not very fun for the little ones.

But the more research I do, the more excited I am about Epcot, and I really want to see both FW and WS now! DH was at Epcot back in the 80's as a kid, and has a strong opinion that DD6 will be bored out of her mind if we go there, and that it's not worth the time. However, DD5 is a major craft & project girl, so I think she would LOVE the kidcot centers, as well as checking out all the different costuming and cultural differences in WS as well as the obvious kid-draw attractions at FW. What to DO?!

I can't see how we can really see ALL of Epcot in just one day, even if I could persuade DH that we should do it.

Personally, I don't see the allure of AK, and would prefer to skip it and do 2 days at Epcot. It seems like a glorified zoo, little shade, and it closes earlier than all the other parks. Am I missing something?

If you agree, give me some "ammo" to convince DH that Epcot is a must-do!
Kitt_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Your daughter will LOVE Epcot. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is her favorite park. As you said, there is a ton of stuff in Future World that will amaze her, and if she is into crafts, the Kidcot stuff and all the cultural stuff of the countries will be fun to her as well. And you have the performers back in WS too. Your parents will also enjoy all of Epcot. Oh, and your daughter is old enough to enjoy the Kim Possible missions in WS too (if your DH likes techie interactive things, this might be a draw for him to do Epcot too).

I suggest you do one day in Epcot before you go to AK. Then if it isn't all you and I think it is, you still have your day to do AK. You are right that you can't do all of Epcot in one day, so sit down with your daughter and a good tour book (Birnbaum for Kids is a good one) and see what she is most interested in. Do those things at Epcot and anything else you get to do there is icing on the cake.

Good luck!
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
jjzmgailey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
Your daughter will LOVE Epcot. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it is her favorite park. As you said, there is a ton of stuff in Future World that will amaze her, and if she is into crafts, the Kidcot stuff and all the cultural stuff of the countries will be fun to her as well. And you have the performers back in WS too. Your parents will also enjoy all of Epcot. Oh, and your daughter is old enough to enjoy the Kim Possible missions in WS too (if your DH likes techie interactive things, this might be a draw for him to do Epcot too).

I suggest you do one day in Epcot before you go to AK. Then if it isn't all you and I think it is, you still have your day to do AK. You are right that you can't do all of Epcot in one day, so sit down with your daughter and a good tour book (Birnbaum for Kids is a good one) and see what she is most interested in. Do those things at Epcot and anything else you get to do there is icing on the cake.

Good luck!

I couldn't agree with this statement more!! Exactly what I would have suggested too!
Me (NeuroticDisneyMom#30) drinkin' my coffee, readin' the DIS DH DS 15 DD 11
| Disney Parks Moms Panel | Jackie's Magical Moments | Follow Me On Twitter
UPCOMING VISITS: Disney's Old Key West Resort Sept 2013 | Disney's Polynesian Resort October 2013
PAST VISITS: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa April 2013 | Disney's Wilderness Lodge April 2013 | Disney's Beach Club Resort Feb 2013 | 2013 WDW Moms Panel Training Weekend!!! Dec 2012 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Oct 2012 | Disney's Art of Animation Resort Sept 2012 | Disney's Yacht Club Resort April 2012 (DisneySMMoms) | Offsite Vacation Home for Princess 5K Feb 2012 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Dec 2011 | Disney's Bay Lake Tower Oct 2011 | Disney's Old Key West Resort Sept 2011 | Disney's Vero Beach Resort May 2011 | Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort May 2011 | Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa March 2011 (DisneySMMoms) | Disney's Polynesian Resort Feb 2010 (DisneySMMoms) | Disney's Saratoga Springs TreeHouse Villas Sept 2009 | Disneyland Resort Area Feb 2009 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Sept 2008 | Disney's Old Key West Resort April 2008 | Disneyland Resort Area Nov 2007 | Disneyland Hotel Dec 2006 | Disneyland Hotel Feb 2004
jjzmgailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
MainStMandy
DIS Veteran

OMG AK is NOT a glorified zoo...it has so many amazing things. The Safari, fun shows like it's tough to be a bug and Lion King. You can head out to Conservation stations where you can pet animals and learn more about AK's conservation efforts. AK is probably our 2nd favorite park. Must do!!
MainStMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt_D View Post
It seems like a glorified zoo, little shade, and it closes earlier than all the other parks. Am I missing something?
Yes- the Festival of the lion king and/or the Nemo show. The Safari, etc.
Animal kingdom is NOT a glorified zoo. So much more then that, I think people who go there with the mind set on a zoo are dissappointed.

Since Animal Kingdom can be done in half a day-- i suggest a morning tour-back to the room for a break and Epcot at night.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
jboysen
Mouseketeer

My dd3 (almost 4) loves Epcot! Nemo and Spaceship Earth are two of her favorite rides. We are looking forward to taking her on Soarin hopefully this Dec trip. She also loves WS with the Kidcot stuff. We'll take her there while DH and I take turns looking around. Also she has seen Belle and Sleeping Beauty in France. My opinion, don't skip it!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
GOOFY4DONALD
DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They were so proud they made it a Hidden Mickey!

We have 6 touring days as well. We are doing MK 2x's...Epcot 2x's....1 AK & 1 HS day. These are full day schedules. We are also skipping EMH. I guess I am not understanding how come you have to chose. We have the same amount of touring days and we are doing both. But then again we doing take off days. We don't go in commando mode but for an almost 7K trip we take days off at home..when they are free.
WDW 2012 FW Cabins

GOOFY4DONALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
PiperPizzaz
DIS Veteran

My 4 year old can't wait to go back to EPCOT. That is all he talks about. He LOVES Test Track. He also really loves the Figment ride (imagination), Nemo (seas), Soarin' and Livin' with the Land (Land) and Innoventions oh and the Mexico boat ride is a hit too.

We don't care for AK. I know a lot of people love it. IF you are animal people you will love it otherwise, not so much. We do a half day there but, I could totally skip it.

We used to not do EPCOT but, now we love it so things can change.

Have fun!
Our Family Trips: 05/99-CBR, 06/01 off site, '03 off site, 08/06-CBR, 09/07-POP, 04/08 Disneyland off site, 03/09-POR, 11/09-ASM&BC, 06/10 POP, 11/10 Swan & offsite townhouse, 05-06/11 townhouse, 07/11 Disneyland Paris, 06/12 BC, 10/12 POP
Check out my Disney room!
PiperPizzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

I love Animal Kingdom, but if I had the choice, I would do two days at Epcot. It really is too big to see everything in one day. Even after two, you still will have not experienced it all. It also is my son's favorite park. I don't think children will be bored there. They have made it much more exciting than it was, back in the 80's.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
disjacksons
Earning My Ears

I would do a day and a half at Epcot and 1/2 day at AK! One day at Epcot is definitely not enough IMO!
disjacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
henry72
DIS Veteran

I think you should go to both parks. I wouldn't skip AK. It is NOT a glorified zoo. My DS loves animals so we will certainly be going there. I am not sure how thrilled he will be at Epcot but honestly that is not one of mine or DH's favorite parks. We want more rides and less "looking at things". But certainly with the amount of time you will be there you should be able to do both. (Though, yes, Epcot will take longer to see than AK.)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

We used to do AK for a day and Epcot 1/2 day. We now skip AK and do Epcot for 2 days.

For some reason AK is always a disaster for us. Maybe because it seems hotter, more walking, less Disney-esque to us. Not sure why as it is a quality park, but we just haven't been able to master it in a way that we enjoy it as a family.

Epcot used to be a 1/2 day affair but over the years they have added and improved quite a bit. It now ranks pretty high on our charts. MK of course is the crown jewel.

If you have never been to AK, i would at least plan a 1/2 day. The operating hours are shorter anyway.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

I like your Disney room. It has my mind wandering to create our own Disney room.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

You are going to get so many differing opinions here, we're likely to make your decision MORE difficult than less!

My DD and I personally enjoy AK more than Epcot. In fact, DD asked if we could skip Epcot this time, until I reminded her how many princesses she met in WS last trip. She does enjoy Soarin' and Nemo, too, and will try Test Track for the first time this trip (so she says).

That said, we both would HATE the thought of missing AK, and I am NOT a zoo person. We live a couple miles from a world-class zoo here in Columbus, and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've been there in the last few years. The safari at AK is nothing but FUN, FUN, FUN, can't wait to ride it again!!! Your DD may not want to try Everest, but anyone else in your party willing to try it will have a BLAST! Kali River Rapids is one of DD's faves in all of WDW (we wore ponchos last time in Feb ). Dinoland, It's Tough to Be a Bug (my fave 3D at Disney), Flights of Wonder, all are very fun. And IMHO, Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is FANTASTIC and a must-do for us. We do a full day at AK each time and we STILL haven't scoped out the Nemo show, OR FOTLK, which is supposed to be outstanding!

So my vote would definitely be for 1 day at Epcot and 1 and AK. You could always start the 2nd day at AK and move back over to Epcot if you're bored. Can't imagine it, but I guess some would want to!

Have a GREAT first trip, and remember you can't see it all -- that's what 2nd trips are for!!!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

I would not skip Epcot. The adults will likely enjoy Epcot a lot and so will the DD, especially things like Nemo, Imagination, etc. They've really been trying to make Epcot more kid friendly. AK is not our thing - been there, left after lunch, no desire to go back any time soon. The safari was fun once. Lion King show is one of the best in WDW but short and has long waits. Nemo show is the corniest, cheesiest sounding thing I've ever had to suffer through at WDW and that is saying something; visually stunning, musically hokey (but then I'm a musician so I have higher standards than many). AK is a beautifully themed park from a design standpoint - except Dinoland, which should be blown up and bulldozed as soon as possible - it is a disgrace to all things Disney. I can't fathom that they allowed Dinoland to be built. An abomonation, IMHO. The bird show at AK is funny. I would maybe do a half day at AK and Epcot on the second day, but definitely at least one full day at Epcot, especially for the adults - why should the kids have all the fun.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: