Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Epcot's American Adventure of Texting (Rant)

Okay, I know we all have to deal with the joy of hearing people talk on their cell phones during movies or shows. Since we all are there to listen in on to snippets of their conversation, so that we can get insight into their personal lives, I suppose it is perfectly fine. After all, we didn't come to enjoy a movie or show. Apparently, now these same lovely people have found a new way to annoy us. I discovered this at the beginning of our last Disney trip. We were in the World Showcase and went to see "The American Adventure". I didn't notice it until the lights dimmed. As soon as they did the woman in the row in front of me began texting. She lifted her phone up high an proud, that way the three rows behind her could be bathed in the harsh glow of her cell phone screen. It was such a nice experience trying to view the show, while having the bright blue glow of her cell phone shooting into my eyes like a sharpened dagger. It really added to the scenes that Ben Franklin were in. It made me think of his lightening experience. She texted several people throughout the show, and yes, I was close enough to see what was so important. She had to let all of her friends know that she was watching "The American Adventure Show" in Epcot. All in all, this really is an enhancement to the regular cell phone offender. Their crime is an audio one. Now, with texting we get upgraded to a visual annoyance. I love technology.

After spending five days at Disney World, I discovered this would not be an isolated incident. There were other shows that previously had been shown in the dark, but now were being shown in the soft glow of texters' phones.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

No matter where people ARE, the think that they'd rather be somewhere ELSE.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

That is SO annoying! Its too bad you weren't in the row directly behind her because then you could have *accidentally* kicked her seat. I wish there was no cell phone service at all in the parks! I know, I know, emergencies, blah, blah, blah, but somehow we all managed before cell phone service.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
DrD
Mouseketeer

Sometimes life is alot more pleasant if you don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by DrD; 10-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
jb01
DIS Veteran

Good rant. I agree with you.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Why didn't you just ask her to stop?

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

The electronics can be annoying, even when they're not in use. There was a guy in front of me at the Hall of Presidents with a bluetooth in his ear that blinked a little blue light every 5 seconds. It was so distracting! I'm sure he didn't intend for it to be a problem, but WHY do you need a bluetooth in your ear at Disney World?

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
Why didn't you just ask her to stop?

I really should get more of a spine to speak up in situations like this, whether texting, talking, or flash photography. I have seen people confront offenders at Disney World and I know it can go either way. Sometimes they do stop, but other times it can really escalate. I just have no desire to get into a confrontation with a person (or possibly group of people) while on vacation. Also, you never know what kind of crazy other people are. I don't want to be that night's lead news story "Guest stabbed at Epcot over cell phone", no matter how remote the possibility.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
The electronics can be annoying, even when they're not in use. There was a guy in front of me at the Hall of Presidents with a bluetooth in his ear that blinked a little blue light every 5 seconds. It was so distracting! I'm sure he didn't intend for it to be a problem, but WHY do you need a bluetooth in your ear at Disney World?
I would have asked him to please remove the K-Mart light out of his ear.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

I took my cousin's kids to Clearwater over spring break last year, ages 12 and 14. Non stop texting. DROVE ME NUTS.

My 12 year old niece at Edisto Beach this summer. Non stop texting. NUTS AGAIN.

It's pretty ridiculous. I have an iPhone, and I love it. However, I hate being bothered by phone calls and texts. I usually ignore them unless necessary. Leave me a VM. If it's important, then I'll call you back.
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Mrs. Charming
I'm not your entertainment, get a life.

No matter where you go, people are texting, it's like a disease. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I need to text DH something *important* because he can't take a call at work... but some people just have hours-long conversations via text. At least it's better than the incessant Nextel direct connect "boop-boop" where everyone made it a point that they had Nextel and yelled into their walkie talkies. Now THAT was irritating!
DD3 is a BIG SISTER! ...and now has a brand new little BROTHER!
Mrs. Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1 View Post
I really should get more of a spine to speak up in situations like this, whether texting, talking, or flash photography. I have seen people confront offenders at Disney World and I know it can go either way. Sometimes they do stop, but other times it can really escalate. I just have no desire to get into a confrontation with a person (or possibly group of people) while on vacation. Also, you never know what kind of crazy other people are. I don't want to be that night's lead news story "Guest stabbed at Epcot over cell phone", no matter how remote the possibility.
I understand! However, tapping someone on the shoulder and saying, "Wow -- that's really bright. Could you shade it when you text?" makes the person aware of the problem without really asking them to stop. They may not even be aware that it's bugging anyone. They're excited about being at WDW and about texting all their friends to tell them where they are. They might have friends back home who said, "be sure to tell us where you are all day so that we can share your trip with you!" (Or ... they could just be rude people, but I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt.) And in this day and age, a lot of people have come to expect seeing texting screens in dark places, so it doesn't bother them. Which means that they forget that it might be bothering you.

You don't have to "confront" people. You don't need to be ready for a fight. Remember that what people report here are the extremes (plus probably at least just a little "enhanced drama" for storytelling purposes!). Just be polite and ask. If they refuse or get nasty, then you know not to press the issue. But it's more likely that they will apologize and at least shade the screen so that it doesn't bother you.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
SteamboatStevie
Fellow Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Charming View Post
No matter where you go, people are texting, it's like a disease. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I need to text DH something *important* because he can't take a call at work... but some people just have hours-long conversations via text. At least it's better than the incessant Nextel direct connect "boop-boop" where everyone made it a point that they had Nextel and yelled into their walkie talkies. Now THAT was irritating!
My gosh, I HATE those flippin' Nextels. IMO, when it comes to cell phone conversations, discretion is the better part of valour.

I was once trying to enjoy the Muppets 4-D show, when the lady next to me was rambling loudly on her cell (in another language), ignoring the "shhhhh"s from people around her. I turned and stared at her (sans 3-D glasses) intently, until she finally looked at me and said (in perfect English), "Excuse me, this is a PRIVATE conversation!"
I don't know how she didn't get tarred and feathered from the crowd.

Visit my Disney blog @ http://seeyarealsoon.com
SteamboatStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post
I took my cousin's kids to Clearwater over spring break last year, ages 12 and 14. Non stop texting. DROVE ME NUTS.

My 12 year old niece at Edisto Beach this summer. Non stop texting. NUTS AGAIN.

It's pretty ridiculous. I have an iPhone, and I love it. However, I hate being bothered by phone calls and texts. I usually ignore them unless necessary. Leave me a VM. If it's important, then I'll call you back.
But part of that is your fault too, isn't it? You CAN put limits on what those kids are doing when they're with you. My 14YO nephew gets limited "texting windows" when we go places. He's expected to contribute to the conversation at meals, enjoy the outings we're on, and be an active part of the group. Every couple of hours, everyone gets a "phone break" to make whatever calls or texts or whatever that they need, after which the phones get turned off and we return to the group activity.

If it bugs you that much, exert a little control! You ARE the adult, after all!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
fan1080
When you wish upon a star......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
bluetooth in your ear at Disney World?
He should have that checked.

I would think a blue tooth would be bad enough.

But, to have one in your ear? Zoinks!
Mar 1978 - Off Site (Grade 7, with my family), Sept 1989 - Off Site (Honeymoon), Feb 2006 - All Star Movies (First time to Disney for our 3 daughters), July 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2008 - Pop Century, Mar 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside, Feb 2010 Holiday Inn Express and Suites Universal
fan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: