Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

Non-Croc'ers: What kind of shoes do you wear? (dansko question inside, too)

We're going in the winter, so I'm trying to prepare for a cold snap.

I just read the Crocs with Socks thread, and while my husband and I both have Crocs we can take.. I was wondering about other options.

I know Keens are popular with men on the board. Are they comfy with socks? DH just got some for his birthday.

I just got a pair of Danskos, and they're very comfy, but all day? I haven't gone that long yet.

What do you wear if you're not wearing Crocs... in the winter. I assume lots of trainers, huh?

I'm just not a big athletic shoe wearer. lol
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Mckymousefn
DIS Veteran

I just wear my broken in Nike tennis shoes.

Mckymousefn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Uno Mas
DIS Veteran

I always splurge on a pair of Helly Hansen shoes at the Norway gift shop. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had for Disney, and we are commando walkers. I still have the first pair I bought 8 years ago and they are in perfect shape. They are really light weight and some are great water shoes if you get wet on one of the water rides during the warmer months - yet they are still good for the colder months too.

1976, 1979: Off Property
1981: Disneyland
1989: Caribbean Beach
2003: Polynesian
2004: Polynesian
2005: Polynesian
2006: May: Port Orleans; July: Swan
2007: March:Disney Wonder, Port Orleans;August: Polynesian; October: Swan
2008: January:Dolphin; May: Swan; August:Beach Club October:Dolphin and Beach Club
2009: January:Wilderness Lodge;April:Disney Wonder; October:Beach Club
2010: January: Polynesian;June: Beach Club;October: Dolphin
2011: August: Beach Club; October: Swan
2012: January Beach Club

Next trip: June 2012: Beach Club and Universal
Uno Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
lisadam
Mouseketeer

I wear broken in sneakers - but not too broken in - they need to still have support. I always make sure I have more than one pair - sometimes 3.

When going back to the room I switch into less confining shoes to let my feet breath - sandals or other light shoes.

I'm a big walker but it's rare to do the kind of walking day after day - that you do at Disney. Comfy feet are essential.
2001 - 2006 - - 6 stays at the Wilderness Lodge!
2009 - January - Contemporary
2010 - January - Contemporary
2011 - February - Magic - Western
2012 - August - Fantasy - Western
lisadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
campingdawgs
Mouseketeer

I wear my Keens (no socks). The enclosed toe seems to keep my feet warm enough. My DH, DS, and DD6 wear running shoes. DD13 wears crocs or flip flops (claims her feet don't get cold).

2005 Rockwood Rhino HW256G "The Beast" (sold)

Offsite- '73,'75,'79,'81,'83,'86, 4/10 (school trip chaperone!)
Caribbean Beach- 6/02; Port Orleans Riverside- 7/06, 7/07; Yacht Club- 8/08, 4/10

Fort Wilderness- camping 1/07, 4/07, 5/07, 12/07, 4/08, 5/08, 12/08, 3/09, 6/09, 11/09, 12/09, 11/10, 12/10 -cabin 9/10
campingdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
ogreenlee

if my feet get cold... i'm done.

i have a friend who wears flip-flops year around. granted, she lives in MS, but still.

i love when it gets a little chilly, as i love shoes. maybe it's because i have fred flintstone feet.

i'm going to check out these helly hensen's! thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Disco_Mickey_Mouse
Earning My Ears

I have nothing against Crocs and actually do own a pair, but I'd never wear them at Disney. I have very low arches and they do not provide sufficient support.

My all-time favorite shoes are Merrell's Siren Ventilator. They are light, but offer fabulous support. I climbed the great Wall of China during a rainstorm in these shoes and couldn't recommend them more highly. They are more comfortable than any pair of sneakers I've ever owned.

I also have several varieties of Dansko, Birkenstock, and Mephisto shoes. They're great for regular wear, but only the Merrells make the cut for Disney trips.

In the summer, I switch off with my SAS Huggy sandals. I know they're not at all sexy, but they are the only pair of sandals that can hold up to Disney levels of walking, standing, etc.
Disco_Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
ogreenlee

I have wide feet. They got wider with 10 straight years of Birkenstock wear. Then with pregnancy, they got even wider.

I can't wear Mephistos. Too narrow. Same with Keens. Same with lots of shoes.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I have a pair of Keen sandals I'm taking on a December trip. Its usually never gets cold enough for me to want to wear closed-toe shoes. But in case it does, I'm also bringing a pair of Merrels - I wore them all over Italy last December and they served me very well.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
GAMC369
Mouseketeer

We wear trainers/sneakers/ tennis shoes (whatever you want to call them). I wear crocs a lot but can't do three days of heavy walking in them. Plus I have a tendency to catch the toe of them on the ground and trip. I can only imagine how many times I would do it while rushing through crowds of people in the parks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
GrillMouster
Mouster of the Grill

Broken-in New Balance walking shoes and CoolMax moisture wicking socks.
GrillMouster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

I love my broken in Adidas walking shoes or cross-trainers. I can't wear New Balance; they don't fit my foot. And that's the most important thing - that the style you wear fits your foot and provides adequate support. I have a narrow heel, but normal toe, so I need a shoe that has something to keep my heel down and still have room for my toes. Sometimes narrow works, sometimes not. Reebok doesn't have the kind of padding at the back that I need. New Balance or Reebok may work better than Adidas does for you.

The trick is to find a shoe that fits well, cradles your foot and provides sufficient support.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

I have two pair of Keens. One pair is the sandal-ish style and I don't wear socks. More comfortable, and cuter, is a tennis-shoe style and I do wear the ankle socks with them.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

If it's really cold, I wear my sneakers. I have acertain Kind I wear now, and only those. I'm also not a fan of socks. If it is at all warm, I'll wear my sandals. The current pair I have are three leather strap Clark's. The pair before were Ecco, but I couldn't find the same style this year. I don't know If I woudl wear them without socks, but I may well wear them just onthe warmest days or alternate my shoes at night. I DO like to alternate my shoes regularly on my trip. If I was going during cooler months I would might try to find some good walking shoes that are in between - ie. the same store that sells the Eccos or the Clarks. Ecco makes some nice shoes. I have some Uggs for winter, but I don't think I'd last at WDW in them.

The other big thing I found last year was high quality socks. They are called "Peds on the move" and are sold at KMaart. They have no seams, and they are ventilated (mesh weave) over the toe. They are meant for runners. They actually come in different styes: exrta heel cushioning, for one. DH bought a similar pair by Brooks (Brooks running shoes) They don't slip at all, they don't get stretched out, did not wear out with washing (one season)and are so much better than any other socks I've ever worn. Even socks made by other running companies!

Last edited by mickeyluv'r; 10-18-2009 at 04:45 PM.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
cheezwhiz100
Earning My Ears

i'm female and love keens, they were great to stand in and walking too.
cheezwhiz100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: