Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #16
DiznyDi
If you remember, we are the rural folks

First and foremost, for your service to our country; for helping to keep us safe in this uncertain world.

And second, Congratulations on your retirement and your plans to reconnect with your wife.

You've received some excellent suggestions. Please keep us posted as your plans progress. What an exciting time!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!

Personally, I would have absolutely no problem staying at any resort for a month. My husband and I would find activities to do, and make it a true retirement.

If I was to plan this, I would do a month each for the following resorts in order:

AKV
BWV
VGC (definitely take the time to go to Disneyland)
BLT
OKW
VB (and do a cruise or two)
VWL
SSR
HAWAII (it looks absolutely beautiful)
HH
BCV (end with my fav resort)

Thanks for letting me dream...

By the way, good luck on your plans.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDVC View Post
In just under a year, Sep 2010, I'll be retiring after 33 years in the military. My wife and I agreed on taking a year off to reconnect. We plan on starting our vacation the beginning of Jan 2011 with the WDW marathon weekend. I need to figure the whole year out and start making DVC reservations Feb 2010. I have points spread out over all of the DVC resorts so the 7/11 month window really doesn't matter.

Need advice on how long you can stay in a studio before the walls start coming in on you. I was thinking about staying 12 nights in a 1 - bedroom (Check-in Sunday check-out 12 days later on Friday) then 9 nights in a studio to cover two weekends to reduce the points. I'll have about 6,500 points (another 1,500 if I need them) for the year so I don't think I can do the whole time in a one bedroom

Nine nights in a studio might be pushing it. Especially if you do it more than once. It might work out okay from the second honeymoon aspect. However, I'd do the studio first and then move to a 1 BR. That would give you something to look forward to versus noticing how cramped you are after checking out of a 1 BR.

We plan on 5 cruises(cash-no points) (Transatlantic in May 2011) followed by Adventures by Disney to Italy(cash, no points). Plus the Alaska cruise and a couple of 3/4 day cruises around the Bahamas.

Come back for the month of June at Hilton Head then July and August at Club Intrawest in Sandestion, Fl - yes I cheated and bought points at Club Intrawest too.

Labor Day weekend at VGC in California for the Disneyland half marathon, Alaska cruise either before or after and then back to WDW for the fall endurance races

Jan - May at WDW and Sept - Dec back at WDW

Any ideas on how to best save points?

Do you think 9 months in a studio is crazy? Yes and no. Will the nine months be broken up with cruises and the kids visit? Then it might work out.

Maybe take 2-3 three day cruises over the weekends

Only two weeks in a two bedroom for the (college aged) kids to come visit.

Which studios do you find are the best?

I'd go for variety and then switch to the largest studios (at OKW) towards the end. That way it might keep the walls from kicking in.

Has anyone stayed for 2-3 months at WDW? Did you get bored? Was it too much at once?

The year off will be fun but the thought of planning it all out is almost overwhelming with all of the details. I have a headache already.

Since this is a once in a life time trip, plus payback to my wife for all of the separation (military induced), I would appreciate any advice to maximize wife's enjoyment. (yes, besides the spa treatments, long walks in the rain, and being more sensitive)
I'd work in time for each of you to have your own time alone. You have been frequently apart and both in charge of your own time and lives. Some "me" time might be appreciated by both of you. Definitely talk to you DW about this factor. Or at least say if either feels the need then it's okay.

Congratulations on your retirement and thanks for serving your country. Good luck to you and you DW.

My DH (wdrl) just told me to add: Stay at every DVC property you can get reservations at--variety is the spice of life. And remember when staying in a studio, laundry is done out of the villa in the laundry room. This could get old. So if you intermingle 1 BR stays with studio stays the laundry could be done when staying at a 1 BR.

Last edited by DenLo; 10-14-2009 at 11:18 AM.
DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE ! ! ! !

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Dizny Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
tinkerfan1
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your service! What an awesome celebration of your retirement and way to reconnect with your wife. My husband and I would do that in a heartbeat, if we could ever afford to! We have talked about how neat that would be in the past. Never knew anybody who actually did it. Congratulations and enjoy. Perhaps we will run into you sometime while we are there.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #21
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Wow! Sounds wonderful. The only advice I would have is to take your time with the plans. That is a huge undertaking. Once all of the plans and reservations are made - you will need that vacation!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #22
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by El&Asmom View Post
Can't help with the planning, just wanted to say I'm jealous. Have fun, and congrats and thank you for your service to our country.
Ditto..wow! What alot of points and the cruises sound wonderful. (Hope you like each other ALOT )
Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
tomandrobin
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your many years of service!!!

Can't wait to read that never ending trip report!

I like the way you and the misses think!

Where all of our dreams come true!

tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
dvc_john
DIS Veteran

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 2nd Place

I do what you're planning on, just for a shorter time period. I snowbird for three and a half months in the winter.

I don't mind moving, I like a change of scenery now and then, and I don't like studios for more than two days or so. Like you, I own at all the resorts so the 7 month window does not come into play. If you are there for that long, you'll probably find yourself spending more time at your resort, and 9 days in a studio seems awfully long to me.
I usually do 5 weekdays in a 1-br someplace, then 2 weekend days in a studio. Then 5 more weekdays in a 1-br, and so on. Once in awhile, I may take off for the beach for the weekend, or go visit relatives. I also supplement my DVC time with a couple of I.I. getaways for a week here or there. I use that time for off-site activities like Seaworld, Universal, and off-site shopping and dining.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

DVC nights stayed to date:
AKV 15, ARS 8, BCV 61, BLT 17, BWV 83, HH 64, OKW 198, SSR 30, THV 9, VB 28, VGC 20, VGF 4, VWL 52

dvc_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
MK032197
Mouseketeer

That is awesome!! Something I could only dream of! Hope you have a wonderful time and how did you ever get that many points??
MK032197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

No advice just - THANK YOU! and of course, congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy living "the dream" in "the world!"

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 10-14-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: diction
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #27
manntra
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your many years of service and Congratulations on your well deserved retirement. Your time together sounds wonderful!
One suggestion I may have is when you are planning for the 1 or 2br you should try out Kidani at AKL.....the bathroom alone is worth it and the rooms are very spacious. Each resorts theming might make you feel like you are at totally different locations anyway so that may help too.
Can't wait to see how it all works out for you
The Kindle that someone mentioned for reading is a great idea....endless amount of reading material and no clutter!!

Tracy
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #28
SantaRay
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add my THANKS and CONGRATS to those already expressed. I'd love to have the chance to meet you on one of our short trips.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Would it make me crazy, yes it would. The longest we have stayed is two weeks, and that was in a 2 bedroom and I was so ready to go home or go anywhere else. I have to agree with DVC John, weekends in the studio would be limit, then back to a one bedroom, even if it meant not staying as long.

The main thing to me is lack of quietness. So if i was even going to consider this it would have to be SSR or OKW for long periods of time. Every other resort is just too noisey for me for long periods of time.

The ABD trips and the cruises sound like fun but with the decline in Disney food, and the attitude lately of some CMs and many guests I would never make it longer than 2 weeks at Disney World without a break of some sort.

I could stay at HHI and Vero Beach much longer though.

Enjoy your time and thanks for the many years of service.

Last edited by Sammie; 10-14-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #30
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Wow - I just told my husband I was leaving him for you He read your post and had nothing better to counter with - too bad you are obvously devoted to your wife!!!!

Thank you for your service and I hope you have a wonderful year.

This would be my advice - BWV and BCV when it is colder (Jan/Feb) so you get the warm FL feel - Then VWL in warmer months so you feel a little cooler.

Also - I think OKW has the best studios!!! They seem bigger than anywhere else!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: