Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Smile *Doing the Donald in 2010* Jan. Half Marathon Support Thread!

Welcome one and all (walkers, runners, wheelers, hop, skip & jumpers!) wanting support for the January 2010 WDW Half Marathon. Donald medal, here we come!!

(If you aren't doing the January Half and are just looking for half marathon support, you're welcome here too. )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This will be my first half and I am very excited!! I am a new runner. I started running in February by doing the Couch to 5K (love that program!), ran a 5K in May in about 28 minutes and had a BLAST. (Side note: I have not run a 5K that fast since then, I know the adrenaline was pumping that day! LOL) Then something bad happened, I tore my Achilles in August. So I stopped running for several weeks and am back at it now.

I'm taking it slow, DO NOT want to get injured again with less than 3 months til the race! Plus, my Achilles is not 100% still. It is sore anytime I use it more than a short walk within my house.

My good friend and fellow DISer (Jenny/dismagiclover) and I are taking the Half trip together, staying at BLT and doing the deluxe dining plan. woohoo! You can see us in the picture in my sig from this past June...my family on the left with Goofy and hers on the right with Minnie.

Here is the training plan that I will be using, it's 10 weeks:
http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-m...-training.html
My plan is to start it on Monday, November 2nd. So, I have 3 more weeks to heal and prepare. Then it's official training time!

Liz

Last edited by liznboys; 10-16-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: yay for good friends!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I'm here! It's sure to be a party!
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Thanks Jenny.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
DianeL
DIS Veteran

I think it's a grand idea! Good idea Liz! Also a get to know your neighbor sort of thread. Get to know those that will be at the staging area then in the corrals with you

Good luck with the training!!!!

Finished:
2006, 2007, 2009 WDW Half Marathon DL 2006 Inaugural 1/2 Marathon 2007 ToT 13K 2008 Marathon &5k 2008 Minnie 5K & 15K 2008 DL Half - Coast to Coast Challenge 2008 WDW Expedition Everest Challenge 2009 Princess Half GOOFY2010

DianeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Count me in! I'm doing Donald for the 2nd time I'm slowly working my way to a marathon. I'm not biomechanically blessed so I tend to get injuries often so that's why I'm taking my time. I have other friends who've jumped right into running a full but that's not me

I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's intermediate plan but might move some of the LRs around so that I'm not doing a 12 miler the weekend before.

Nice to meet everyone!

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I'm planning on going with Hal Hidgon's Intermediate plan as well. This will by my 3rd half. I did the first 2 in about 3 hours. Don't expect to be any faster with this one. But I do want to try the full in 2011 so I figured I'll do the Intermediate plan just to get some more miles under my belt. I'm going to put a taper week in at the end so that I do the 12 mile run 2 weeks before the race. Training has begun
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
syko
DIS Veteran

If anyone needs someone to walk or run with then my DH is available.
He is running the 5k fast, the 1/2 any any pace and then the full flat out.
He could be your slave for the 1/2, get your water etc.
If any Wisher's want to just let me know.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeL View Post
I think it's a grand idea! Good idea Liz! Also a get to know your neighbor sort of thread. Get to know those that will be at the staging area then in the corrals with you

Good luck with the training!!!!
Thank you! Good luck with the Goofy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyfoo View Post
Count me in! I'm doing Donald for the 2nd time I'm slowly working my way to a marathon. I'm not biomechanically blessed so I tend to get injuries often so that's why I'm taking my time. I have other friends who've jumped right into running a full but that's not me

I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's intermediate plan but might move some of the LRs around so that I'm not doing a 12 miler the weekend before.

Nice to meet everyone!
Hi Vicky! I think I am with you on not being biomechanically blessed...boo..
So when did you first start running and when do you think you'll get to the full marathon point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I'm planning on going with Hal Hidgon's Intermediate plan as well. This will by my 3rd half. I did the first 2 in about 3 hours. Don't expect to be any faster with this one. But I do want to try the full in 2011 so I figured I'll do the Intermediate plan just to get some more miles under my belt. I'm going to put a taper week in at the end so that I do the 12 mile run 2 weeks before the race. Training has begun
Wait, did you start the Hal schedule this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko View Post
Wow, that's quite the nice offer! Maybe he could be my pacer lol...I have the hardest time not running too fast and losing my breath. On the treadmill it isn't a problem since I'm set at one speed, but outside if I am alone I struggle with it. I wish I could program my body to run a certain speed. I guess that comes with experience.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
bunnyfoo

Quote:
Hmm ... That's quite tempting I'm looking to finish as close to 2:00 as
possible. I do r/w intervals so I don't know if that would be a problem.

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
bunnyfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by liznboys View Post
Hi Vicky! I think I am with you on not being biomechanically blessed...boo..
So when did you first start running and when do you think you'll get to the full marathon point?
Hey Liz! I started running in January 2008 so I guess it will almost have been two years I don't think I've stuck with most weight loss/fitness activities for as long as that.

I'm shooting for a full in 2011 so next year I'm mostly going for 1/2 and 30K races. I don't know if making Disney my first full is a great idea since training in November/December is hard because of the unpredictable weather and early sunsets.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Ronda93
DIS Veteran

I'm in. I, too, started with C25K early this year. I've run a few local races (5k and two 4 mile). I started the Marathoning for Mortals half plan last week. I'm slow. Aiming for a 13:00 pace in January.

Ronda
Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
liznboys
I wish upon stars!

Quote:
Hmm ... That's quite tempting I'm looking to finish as close to 2:00 as
possible. I do r/w intervals so I don't know if that would be a problem.
2 hours, you are fast!

Quote:
Hey Liz! I started running in January 2008 so I guess it will almost have been two years I don't think I've stuck with most weight loss/fitness activities for as long as that.

I'm shooting for a full in 2011 so next year I'm mostly going for 1/2 and 30K races. I don't know if making Disney my first full is a great idea since training in November/December is hard because of the unpredictable weather and early sunsets.
I love reading about people's running history and plans. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on being a runner for almost 2 years now! I hope I will reach that milestone too. I've never stuck with anything as long as this (it's only been 7.5 months now. lol) But I love it and hope it becomes a very long term thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda93 View Post
I'm in. I, too, started with C25K early this year. I've run a few local races (5k and two 4 mile). I started the Marathoning for Mortals half plan last week. I'm slow. Aiming for a 13:00 pace in January.

Ronda
Hi Ronda! I'm happy to see a fellow C25Ker here! I wonder if anyone else who was doing the C25K when we were decided to do the half?

I may be doing a 13:00 pace too. With my Achilles issue I have no idea what it can handle, and I'm thinking I will be doing plenty of walking.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
DianeL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does he know about this? But seriously it's very sweet for the company and pacing.

Thanks Liz, we'll be one big happy (or sleepy!) group on Saturday! And I'm just learning my outdoor running pace. It's been hard to get a feel for keeping the same pace and to know when you are going to fast or slow. It seems to be getting easier finding that groove so hang in there! I'm off to the gym shortly where I've been doing my running on the TM for continuous running otherwise I'd die outside in the 1st 2 miles probably going to fast LOL

Ronda! I'm just hitting a 13:00 min/mile avg for 13.1 miles (did it this past weekend) and I don't consider that slow My legs beg to differ with you

I'm hoping I can behave and finish in around 3:20 taking my camera and hoping to get some characters. For those doing it for the 1st time there seems to be a good variety of paces so you will be running into other WISHers fairly often. I can't wait, it's going to be such a blast!

Keep up the great work everyone!!!!!

Finished:
2006, 2007, 2009 WDW Half Marathon DL 2006 Inaugural 1/2 Marathon 2007 ToT 13K 2008 Marathon &5k 2008 Minnie 5K & 15K 2008 DL Half - Coast to Coast Challenge 2008 WDW Expedition Everest Challenge 2009 Princess Half GOOFY2010

DianeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

I'm in too!! This will be my second half, my first was only a few weeks ago! We (me and my inlaws) have been training since June 1. We are doing a 16 week program, so 16 weeks for the first half marathon, then a rest week, then started with week 2 to train for WDW.

I finished my first half in 2:36, mostly running, but due to so *unfortunate* chafing and a rather unfavorable course, I walked about 1.5 miles of the race. I am looking to do 2:20 for WDW, knowing the course should be better and knowing that a pair of bike shorts or running tights will be my very best friend.

I have been running since 2007, when I did a similar program to C25K. I am not a speedster, being only 4'11" my legs are too short. But I like the longer distance runs. I don't know that I want to do a full marathon yet, I really did enjoy the half despite the chafing, cold and yucky course.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and seeing you at the start on 1/9!!
VernRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

HEY!!!! I'm here Thank you for telling me about this thread Liz! It's a great idea!

I'm running the half. This will be my first one. I have always been a runner. I love everything about running.

My goal is to finish under 2 hours... I run a little over ten miles in an hour and 20 mins so I think I can do it. My next race will be Nov 1st... It's a 10K. I'm going to use the 10K or my proof of time for the half!

I look forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully I will get to see you at the half
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: