DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,770

Do you prefer one long trip each year or 2 or 3 shorter trips each year?

and why???? I am sure some people will say they prefer 2 or 3 LONG trips each year too.

As we approach being members for 3 years....I am starting to see that we might like to go a couple of times a year for shorter stays of like 4 or 5 days vs one long stay in the summer for 10 or more days. The past two years we have gone for a long summer trip, a week in Nov. and about 5 or 6 days in Jan. Well we are going to scale back on these longer trips. I am thinking this next year we will do 4 or 5 days in Jan. and about 5 or 6 this summer at HHI and another 4 in Oct.

Just curious.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)

Last edited by edk35; 10-11-2009 at 07:20 PM.
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

When we first bought DVC in 2004, we did multiple trips for a few years. Last year, we realized that it was costing us a heck of a lot more money to do that, plus we live in Canada, so it's a long drive. If we fly, then there is more airfare to pay for as well. Plus, I'm a teacher, so we are restricted to Christmas holidays, March Break and summer -that's it! These are all peak season times, plus we don't like travelling in winter (Dec., Jan or March) as we have to deal with lots of colds and viruses at this time of year (DD was hospitalized with serious health issues at 22 months for our 1st official trip home - it was very scary!).

Now we go for approx. 2 weeks each July, and we really like that! We plan our trips so that we can use 1 AP for both, and it gives us the year to plan and such, and we love that! Our expenses have gone down too, so that's great as well.

So, for us, it's one long trip each summer! Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 10-11-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI
 
MinnieGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hockessin, DE
Posts: 4,274

We like to do one 10 day trip per year. I love to unpack and feel "at home" while living in my Fantasyland. I enjoy it more with a longer trip than a short jaunt.

Financially too it just makes sense for us. We fly down from Philly and its just to expensive for the four of us to do that for two or three short trips a year. Plus now that the kids are in school and are involved in lots of activities its harder to get that time away several times a year. Back when the kids were preschoolers we did do twice a year trips for about 6 or 7 days each and sometimes even a third trip.

I guess I should state that even though we only do one 10 day WDW trip we do two DVC trips a year as we routinely visit HHI for a week every summer. It helps financially that we drive for that trip.
__________________
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
ua1992
Mouseketeer
 
ua1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 178

While I would love to go "home" for an extended period of time, work doesn't work out for that. Instead we look for really cheap flights, get an annual pass and go a few times a year.
__________________
ua1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
jamstew
DIS Veteran
 
jamstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Georgetown, TX
Posts: 3,038

You're right--I'd rather take 3-4 long trips That said, if I had to choose between one long trip and three shorter trips, I'd do multiple trips because I miss Disney when I'm not there! For me, though, a short trip is a week. Once I've paid for airfare, I want to stay as long as possible, and five days just isn't long enough.
__________________
Jamie

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGi View Post
We like to do one 10 day trip per year. I love to unpack and feel "at home" while living in my Fantasyland. I enjoy it more with a longer trip than a short jaunt.

Financially too it just makes sense for us. We fly down from Philly and its just to expensive for the four of us to do that for two or three short trips a year. Plus now that the kids are in school and are involved in lots of activities its harder to get that time away several times a year. Back when the kids were preschoolers we did do twice a year trips for about 6 or 7 days each and sometimes even a third trip.

I guess I should state that even though we only do one 10 day WDW trip we do two DVC trips a year as we routinely visit HHI for a week every summer. It helps financially that we drive for that trip.

I think our kids are going to love HHI this summer. We are going to drive too...about 9 hours I think. Can't wait to try it. We were going to go in Dec. for 5 nights over NYE week, but decided to save that money since it is right at Christmas for one thing and I think the kids would enjoy it more in the summer. I was a bit worried that their first trip there in the winter might give them a false sense of what HHI is like and NOT want to try it next summer. Plus we need more points to visit in the summer so my as well save them for that trip too.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
omalley1118
DIS Veteran
 
omalley1118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 639

We like to go once for 7-8 nights. Once I get there, I never want to leave. Plus, with all of the packing and travelling, I want to settle in for awhile once we are there.

OMalley1118
omalley1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua1992 View Post
While I would love to go "home" for an extended period of time, work doesn't work out for that. Instead we look for really cheap flights, get an annual pass and go a few times a year.
That is what I am hoping to do too. We decided to try and go in late Jan. again because the airfare is soooooo cheap then. Even if it is only for 4 or 5 days....I think it will be nice to get away. We have been 4 times in Jan. but usually for 6 nights. That has always been our SHORT trip. Our other trips are min. 8 nights and we have gone for as long as 14. Now that our kids are getting older it seems not all of us will be going together so I see us taking shorter trips a couple of times a year to accomodate schedules.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI
 
MinnieGi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hockessin, DE
Posts: 4,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
I think our kids are going to love HHI this summer. We are going to drive too...about 9 hours I think. Can't wait to try it. We were going to go in Dec. for 5 nights over NYE week, but decided to save that money since it is right at Christmas for one thing and I think the kids would enjoy it more in the summer. I was a bit worried that their first trip there in the winter might give them a false sense of what HHI is like and NOT want to try it next summer. Plus we need more points to visit in the summer so my as well save them for that trip too.
They will LOVE HHI!!! At least my kids do and so do DH and I. Its so relaxing yet still has Disney touches. The staff there is hands down the BEST!!! Although a winter trip might be fun, I just couldn't imagine not being able to swim and lay out in the sun while at HHI. We also love their beach and very calm water.

A 9 hour drive shouldn't be too bad. We drive it in 12 and make it down in one day. But stay at the Hampton Inn on the island that first night and then wake up the next morning to go check in at DVC. Even though our villa is usually not ready we gain access right away to the beach house and we immediately set up our spot in the SUN!!!
__________________
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

 
jekjones1558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: MN
Posts: 8,139

The drive is too long for us (Minnesota). We don't go for less than 7 days because it is hard to justify the cost of airfare and rental car for fewer days than that. But we have never stayed for longer than 12 days, and even then one of us has had to leave early because of our dog. The planning and anticipation is a big part of the fun in owning DVC, so I much prefer being able to have multiple trips each year rather than one long trip. We are retired and have enough points to actually do both long and 7 day trips if we could just get every one in the immediate family healthy enough!
__________________
Jean
I'm an OL Groupie!May, 2014
jekjones1558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,141

We're leaning toward longer trips. When the kids were younger we could do multiple Sun-Thurs trips to conserve points. But it's getting harder to find good vacation periods so we're taking fewer trips of longer duration. And then you've got the hassle of driving or flying from 1000 miles away.

Really the long trips are more restful, too. It's not easy to squeeze a WDW trip into 5-6 days.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
We're leaning toward longer trips. When the kids were younger we could do multiple Sun-Thurs trips to conserve points. But it's getting harder to find good vacation periods so we're taking fewer trips of longer duration. And then you've got the hassle of driving or flying from 1000 miles away.

Really the long trips are more restful, too. It's not easy to squeeze a WDW trip into 5-6 days.
See we are realizing we don't have to visit every park or spend all day/night in the parks anymore. So that is why I want to try a shorter trip and see how we do. Shoot we might decide that we wished we had more time. I guess until we try it....we will never know.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,141

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
See we are realizing we don't have to visit every park or spend all day/night in the parks anymore. So that is why I want to try a shorter trip and see how we do. Shoot we might decide that we wished we had more time. I guess until we try it....we will never know.
Hey...whatever works for you.

My mindset tends to be that WDW is so far away that it's hard to come and not try to hit all of the parks. I'm not saying that we go on every ride--that's certainly not the case. We have done a couple of short trips but that was just DW and I without the kids.

Our upcoming trip is 8 days / 7 nights and that seems have worked out well in the planning stages. It gives us an opportunity to hit each park at least twice (we tend to tour in half-days) with a handful of little activities sprinkled in like a spa visit for the girls and pirate cruise for the kids. Still time left for some pool hopping and general R&R.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Husurdady
DIS Veteran
 
Husurdady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: N.W.INDIANA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,721

" C " , all of the above plus for the last 3 Sept [07,08 & 09] a 4 day cruise thrown in for good measure.
__________________
Don & Kathy
Husurdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,770

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Hey...whatever works for you.

My mindset tends to be that WDW is so far away that it's hard to come and not try to hit all of the parks. I'm not saying that we go on every ride--that's certainly not the case. We have done a couple of short trips but that was just DW and I without the kids.

Our upcoming trip is 8 days / 7 nights and that seems have worked out well in the planning stages. It gives us an opportunity to hit each park at least twice (we tend to tour in half-days) with a handful of little activities sprinkled in like a spa visit for the girls and pirate cruise for the kids. Still time left for some pool hopping and general R&R.
The longggggg trips are heavenly too. When we went for 14 days....we had such a restful trip. We weren't tired. We actually skipped parks a few days. It was great. I have yet to experience just one trip a year since becoming DVCV members...so to think of just one week...a year makes me . SO I think we will try these two shorter trips and see what happens. IF I had a zillion dollars I would go every quarter.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TK and Tink: The Trip Report You Never Saw Coming - *Update 7-22* P43 TarzansKat Completed Trip Reports 643 07-23-2010 02:25 PM
September '09, 22nd anniversary at Pop. FINAL THOUGHTS DECEMBER 3RD racefanof88 Completed Trip Reports 873 12-04-2009 12:36 PM
A Pre Thanksgiving/Christmas Vacation, Our First Split Stay & Our 5th Trip to Disney! Momof2Disneyboys Completed Trip Reports 1177 11-23-2009 01:43 PM
9/12 - 17 Boo, Mom and a special needs son - whew what a trip we3are1 Completed Trip Reports 13 10-22-2009 06:40 PM
Back last night-some thoughts from a yearly traveller kydisneyfans Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 19 10-12-2009 01:51 PM

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.