Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #76
katmittens
OKW Owner

Great reviews. Can't wait for more. I know how you feel about the celery and carrots. That is how I feel about the grapes in the plastic bowls. I just love them. They are always so refreshing.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #77
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Nice reviews so far...especially love the cost/benefit analysis. We're doing Deluxe in February and I can't imagine it not being worth it.

I remember going to CRT back when I was a little girl and it was magical. We've passed for this trip becase the menus doesn't really appeal, but if I had a daughter, it would be a magical place to take her to...
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #78
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmittens View Post
Great reviews. Can't wait for more. I know how you feel about the celery and carrots. That is how I feel about the grapes in the plastic bowls. I just love them. They are always so refreshing.
Thank you so much Sometimes admist all the grease and sugar I just need something that is, as you said, "refreshing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Nice reviews so far...especially love the cost/benefit analysis. We're doing Deluxe in February and I can't imagine it not being worth it.

I remember going to CRT back when I was a little girl and it was magical. We've passed for this trip becase the menus doesn't really appeal, but if I had a daughter, it would be a magical place to take her to...
Thank you!! I can't wait until I have a daughter to take to CRT ... how magical to have gone as a little girl
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #79
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

First Full Day - Snack and Dinner

** Somewhere during the day we each used a snack credit for a bottle of water for Candi and a bottle of Sprite for me. Each of these were one snack credit and would have been $2.50 each without the dining plan.

Tonight was a dinner I had been waiting for since we started planning this trip; we were going to be eating at Narcoossees and I was pumped!! Nevermind the fact that I couldn’t even pronounce the name of the restaurant all I cared about was that we got a reservation during the fireworks!!

We got there extremely early – this would be an ongoing habit for the first half of the trip – and decided to walk around and check things out.

I absolutely adore how the restaurant is its very own private building!!

We went down to the dock and checked out the Magic Kingdom from afar – I couldn’t wait to see the fireworks from here!

While we were sitting around a very nice gentleman offered to take our picture

It’s one of my favorites of the whole trip.

But, you aren’t reading this to see pictures of us …. on to the food

On our way to check-in Candi stopped to check out the menu … umm yeah babe – this is what I was asking you to do when we planned this trip – it’s too late to throw in your opinion now kidding … sorta

We checked in with the hostess and were told it would be a few minutes so we went outside to catch part of the Electrical Parade while we waited. Soon enough our buzzer went off and we headed to our table.

Once again I was secretly hoping for a window seat … and we got it! I would soon realize that this would not do me any good for the fireworks

Our waitress came by after a few minutes and seemed very rushed and not all that interested in being a waitress … uh-oh, please don’t let this be sign of things to come She took our drink order and rushed off before we had a chance to tell her that we were ready to order appetizers, oh well, no real biggy. It seemed to be about 5-10 minutes before she arrived with our drinks and then try to take off again without asking if we were ready to order. Candi quickly caught her and told her we were ready and she sighed rather loudly before asking what we wanted.

Candi started with the crab cakes - $13.00

He had never had crab cakes before so he has nothing to compare them to but he absolutely loved them! As promised I tried a bite and I must admit that I thought they were rather tasty as well. I’m starting to think I like crab just not crab legs?!? I didn’t particularly care for the cole slaw type stuff on the bottom but loved the sauce on the top. Candi on the other hand thought it tasted fabulous all together. They appear somewhat small but he thought they were quite filling as far as appetizers go. You know, not too full for dinner but not so small you feel it wasn’t enough?

As my starter I had the green goddess salad - $11.00

I was a little worried as many of the items in the salad were slightly outside my comfort zone. My overall thoughts – loved the avocado dressing and the cucumbers were crisp and delicious. As for the rest of the salad – eeehhh – didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. I can tell you after eating this salad that I do not like hearts of palm – but I give myself credit for trying it! Candi tried the salad as well and gave it two big thumbs down. Now, keep in mind that he is not a salad man anyway, but he said the dressing was “funky” and the rest was just “bland.”

Now, I hate to be a complainer but I have to tell you I was starting to get quite irked at our waitress – I am not going to give her name because she may have just been having an off night. But, this was a bad night that slowly got worse. The entire time we were eating our appetizers we never saw her, not even when our glasses were empty – not even when our appetizers were finished. Finally, Candi saw her at another table and politely waved her over. She just sort of came over and was like “yeah” to which we said we would like some refills and to check on our entrée order. Without a word she took our glasses and left. This time she was back within a minute with our refills and our entrees.

As his main course, Candi had the surf and turf – a complete no brainer choice for him - $58.00

Oh my goodness, it looked and smelled delicious! His first comment was about how glad he was that we weren't worrying about prices because otherwise he wouldn't have ordered it. He said his filet mignon was fabulous – thought not quite as good as the one I had at Fultons. He said it wasn’t “melt in our mouth delicious” but it was still a two thumbs up steak. Now, he has had lobster tail on previous occasions but he thought this one was way better than any he had had before. I know many people say it is just the frozen kind, but he enjoyed it all the same. And considering au gratin potatoes are his favorite side dish ever – he was in complete heaven! I didn’t try his steak because that’s what I ordered as my main, but I did try the lobster and I nearly stole it from him. Who would have thought a seafood hater would start to become a lover on this trip. Lobster is now in my top favorite foods list!!

For my main course I had the filet mignon - $41.00

My overall thoughts – loved the beans, they are my absolute favorites! The steak was very good, but the choron sauce became too much after a while. It wasn’t that it tasted bad, it’s just that it became overbearing about halfway through the meal. I loved the au gratin potatoes – they tasted different than the ones Candi had on his plate – better actually!

Towards the end of our main courses the fireworks show began. In all honesty it is one of the main reasons I booked a reservation here – to see Wishes from a different angle. We realized that everyone goes onto the balcony area to watch the show so it didn’t really matter that we had a window seat. No big deal, we just got up and went outside to join them.

This is my favorite fireworks show EVER – I love the Wishes song and I cannot lie – I started to cry a little.

Now back to the food –

When we came back in we saw our waitress at another table smiling and laughing and thought maybe she was in a better mood – WRONG!

It took her 20 minutes before she came around to our table to get our dessert order. In that time we saw her go to 4 or 5 other tables offering to take pictures for them and even offered a couple there for their anniversary some free champagne. Now, I don’t EXPECT a waitress to do any of those things but I DO expect to be treated the same as any other paying guest. By this point I was so irritated I started to cry out of frustration . She had basically ignored us all night, had an attitude every time we made a request and then I watch her treat every other table like actual guests.

Finally, she came to our table to get our dessert order.

Candi ordered the key lime crème brulee - $7.00

He ate a few bites and declared it too “limey.” I on the other hand thought it was spectacular, in my opinion nothing could every be too “limey” or too “lemony” for that matter In the end we traded desserts.

For my dessert I order the almond-crusted cheesecake. I was so super excited about this and then our waitress came back to the table and literally threw the dessert menu in front of me and said “ you have to choose something else, we’re out of cheesecake.” So I ordered the strawberry shortcake - $7.00

My initial reaction – “it’s so pretty.” Geez, I can be such a girl sometimes . After taking the first bite I almost forgot it wasn’t what I had wanted – yes, it was THAT good. The strawberries were perfectly ripe and sweet and the whipped part was perfect. However, Candi clearly wasn’t enjoying his crème brulee so I offered a trade. This was definitely his type of dessert and he all but licked his plate clean . Nope, I didn’t even get another single bite – well, he did give me the chocolate pieces, but he hates chocolate so it doesn’t count Needless to say, he LOVED the strawberry shortcake.

For the first time all night our waitress came by before we had finished eating and left the bill. When she returned with our ticket to sign she made sure to point out the different options for leaving a tip and then disappeared for the rest of the night.

Our overall thoughts on Narcoossees:

Obviously we were very irritated with the service we received and this caused quite a downer on the night. I realize that we could have asked for a Manager and said something about it, but I didn’t want my attitude to come out on the wrong person and, at the time, felt it would just put me in a worse mood. Looking back I do wish we would have said something, only because I hate the thought of knowing she could have ruined someone else’s night as well. Anwhooooo….. Candi enjoyed every part of his meal – except his crème brulee which was easily fixed by trading. I didn’t love my salad and the main course became too much with the sauce after a while, but both desserts were delicious. Watching the fireworks from here was truly magical and almost made up for the lack of service – at any rate it kept us in better moods. Will we be back? Yes, I always believe in second chances and am sure we would have better service next time. However, I’m not sure we will put it on our must do list for our very next trip. I believe in forgive and forget – I just don’t know that I can forget that quickly

Starting Credits:

Snack: 30 total (15 each)

Meal: 42 total (21 each)

Credits Used vs Cost:

1 water and 1 sprite - 2 snack credits total - $5.00

1 tea, 1 diet coke, crab cakes, salad, steak & lobster, filet mignon, crème brulee and strawberry shortcake – 4 meal credits (2 for each adult) - $160.79 with tax not including tip (we still tipped just not as highly as we normally would for such a nice restaurant)

Wishes View – Priceless

Last edited by ariel1025; 11-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #80
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Sorry about the bad sevice. Your meal looks lovely though! I can't wait to eat there!!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #81
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Ugh. . .I hate that you had bad service. I hope mine is better in December. I have always wanted to try Narcoossee's

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #82
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Wow, while your meal sounds heavenly your service that you received just ruined it....I would have been miserable too!

Now you can get bad servers all over the place, not just at WDW, but when you are paying top dollar for food at a resort destination you would think they would kiss your butt and treat you like gold!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #83
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Sorry about the bad sevice. Your meal looks lovely though! I can't wait to eat there!!
I guess even Disney can have an off night The meal and the fireworks view were definitely worth it and we will go back and give it a second chance in the future. I hope your experience is much better than ours

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Ugh. . .I hate that you had bad service. I hope mine is better in December. I have always wanted to try Narcoossee's
I'm sure it was just an "off night" and I hope you have a much better experience than we did

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Wow, while your meal sounds heavenly your service that you received just ruined it....I would have been miserable too!

Now you can get bad servers all over the place, not just at WDW, but when you are paying top dollar for food at a resort destination you would think they would kiss your butt and treat you like gold!
Part of me still wonders if she treated us differently because we were on the dining plan and not paying cash The whole thing was just weird, but I am on the road to forgetting ... really ... I am

The food was definitely worth it - especially the Hubbys - and I'm sure we will be back one day.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #84
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

First Full Day - Lunch

Oh my goodness, I am such a goofball - I completely forgot to post about our lunch on our first day

Now, after pulling up the receipt and sitting down to write about it, I can see why - I am a bad, bad Diser and do not have any pictures of this lunch.

It was a simple one, so I'll keep it short and to the point.

We originally had a reservation for 2:00 at the Plaza Restaurant. We had eaten here on our honeymoon and loved it. It's that type of simple yet delicious food that I think everyone craves every once in a while. Anyway, at about 12:45 we were both getting tired and hungry so we decided to see if we could check-in early. I went up to the hostess stand and explained that we had a 2:00 reservation but would like to see if there was any way to be seated earlier. She stated that we could get a buzzer and wait, but that more than likely it wouldn't be a possibility. As I turned to ask Candi what he would like to do another gentleman turned in his buzzer stating that they would just go somewhere else. A different hostess took the buzzer and was trying to turn it off when our hostess turned and told her "don't worry I never turned it on because he tried to check-in early"

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that we decided not to stay. Again, I don't expect to be seated early and possibly would have waited but that was just annoying to me, so we left.

I still just wanted some simple food so we decided to just head back over to the hotel and grab some food at Roaring Forks.

I had the chicken nuggets and fries, a bottle of lipton lemon iced tea and a Mickey rice krispy treat (the one with the ears dipped in chocolate).

Mmmmm, Mmmmm good. That's all I have to say - it was exactly what I had been craving and it didn't disappoint. There were 8 chicken nuggets and they were fresh and crispy and once I added Ken's honey mustard they just couldn't be beat. The french fries were nice and crispy too and didn't even need ketchup I saved the rice krispy treat for later and Lipton lemon iced tea is my favorite no matter where I'm at. Perfect simple lunch!

Candi had a double cheeseburger with fries, a bottle of water and a magic cookie bar.

His comment was that he was surprised the cheeseburger was as good as it was and like always he drowned his fries in ketchup. He also saved his cookie bar for later but they are his favorite so he was thrilled they were a dessert option there. The water was Dasani which is his favorite choice of bottled water so all in all we were both happy 'lil campers

I don't have the individual breakdown on the cost of each item - sorry. I tried using the prices from allears.net but it came out to be a few dollars too little.

This counts as a quick service meal so anybody not on deluxe can use it as their quick service credit if you so desire. I would recommend it, especially if you are staying at the Wilderness Lodge and need a quick break from the parks.

Starting Credits:

Snack: 28 total (14 each)

Meal: 44 total (22 each)

Credits Used vs Cost:

8 piece chicken nugget meal with fries, bottle of Lipton iced tea, Mickey rice krispy treat, double cheeseburger meal with fries, bottle of water and magic cookie bar: 2 (quick service) credits used - $29.12

* While writing this I also realized that I was putting in the wrong amount of credits - I was only listing the amount of credits left for one person but listing how many credits were used for two people. Oops, I have gone back and made those adjustments to the proper posts I also adjusted the starting credits for our dinner that was posted out of order to reflect how many were remaining after this lunch - sorry for all the mistakes
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #85
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your reviews and all the pictures! Thanks!

Did you ever figure out the Goofy's Candy Co. snack credit thing? I believe they recently (obviously before you went) took the make-your-own treats off the snack options. Previously three pretzels would have qualified.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #86
pancras
Earning My Ears

I am really sorry that you had such a terrible waitress. She was cheeky to point out the tip part as well. I do not think I will be able to contain my mouth, if I get someone who gives me bad service and then points out the tip box. I hope if you give Narcoosse another try it works out better for you.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #87
reneebaker
Earning My Ears

I would have been totally frustrated with that waitress as well. But like you I don't know if I would have had the gumption to say something at the time! I always think of better things to say after the moment has passed lol! The food looked delicious but I think I would have been a little broken hearted at the lack of the almond crusted cheesecake. Thanks for keeping us up to date! I just love living vicariously through other disers! I can't wait till next year and our next trip!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #88
rebecca_boo
Mouseketeer

Wow I can't believe you had such bad service. I probably wouldn't have said anything either, however I am sure DF would have, or I would have been begging him not to make a big fuss about it. The food looks really yummy though.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #89
maddysmommy5909
Earning My Ears

I'm in =] I love your reviews, they are very informative! I have been debating on wether or not to do the Deluxe Dining Plan for our trip next November, but after reading this I have decided to go ahead and book it.

Also your snacks from Goofy's Candy Company made my mouth water! They looked delicious!

Can't wait to read more!

(Tracy)(Tom)(Madison)
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #90
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
I'm enjoying your reviews and all the pictures! Thanks!

Did you ever figure out the Goofy's Candy Co. snack credit thing? I believe they recently (obviously before you went) took the make-your-own treats off the snack options. Previously three pretzels would have qualified.
Thank you

With the Goffy's Candy thing I'm guessing we were just there after they made the change. Sad but still worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancras View Post
I am really sorry that you had such a terrible waitress. She was cheeky to point out the tip part as well. I do not think I will be able to contain my mouth, if I get someone who gives me bad service and then points out the tip box. I hope if you give Narcoosse another try it works out better for you.
Thanks! I think I was just so frustrated that I didn't even know what to say at the moment. I didn't really want to give her a tip but I felt guilty not doing so, but I still can't believe she pointed it out to us. The funny thing is she was one of the only two that did this

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneebaker View Post
I would have been totally frustrated with that waitress as well. But like you I don't know if I would have had the gumption to say something at the time! I always think of better things to say after the moment has passed lol! The food looked delicious but I think I would have been a little broken hearted at the lack of the almond crusted cheesecake. Thanks for keeping us up to date! I just love living vicariously through other disers! I can't wait till next year and our next trip!
I hear ya! I live daily through other disers. That and planning our next trip is what keeps me going when life isn't the greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca_boo View Post
Wow I can't believe you had such bad service. I probably wouldn't have said anything either, however I am sure DF would have, or I would have been begging him not to make a big fuss about it. The food looks really yummy though.
Oh trust me, DH definitely wanted to say something. I begged him not to because I didn't want to make a scene. I just wanted to get out of there and do something to end the night on a better note

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmommy5909 View Post
I'm in =] I love your reviews, they are very informative! I have been debating on wether or not to do the Deluxe Dining Plan for our trip next November, but after reading this I have decided to go ahead and book it.

Also your snacks from Goofy's Candy Company made my mouth water! They looked delicious!

Can't wait to read more!
Thank you very much - I love to know that my reviews help other people out You definitely have to get a snack from Goofy's they taste even better than they look!!!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: