DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Spacemonkaay
Mouseketeer

NO MORE free valet parking for DVC members.

I just got off the phone with MS. I called to add a name to a reservation. At the end of the call, he told me (as a heads up) that we will no longer be receiving the valet parking perk. We have to pay the full price from now on.

I know they give us the warning when we buy that perks can be taken away, but COME ON!!! Sheesh. Ridiculous.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkaay View Post
I just got off the phone with MS. I called to add a name to a reservation. At the end of the call, he told me (as a heads up) that we will no longer be receiving the valet parking perk. We have to pay the full price from now on.

I know they give us the warning when we buy that perks can be taken away, but COME ON!!! Sheesh. Ridiculous.
I seriously doubt this is true. When exactly is "from now on"?

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I'll be in WDW next week. I'm going to stop at several kiosks and ask about it. Yes, I know that sales guides at those kiosks don't always know, but if I ask several, it'll be interesting to see what everyone tells me.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I'll be in WDW next week. I'm going to stop at several kiosks and ask about it. Yes, I know that sales guides at those kiosks don't always know, but if I ask several, it'll be interesting to see what everyone tells me.
The people who would KNOW are the valet dudes and dudettes. They're the ones actually dealing with parking and charging.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

I hope this single comment by one MS rep is not accurate, but I can see some logic for it if it is true.

A year or so ago, Disney outsourced the valet function. Prior to that, the valets would have been Disney employees and would have been on the clock whether they were actually moving cars or not, so there would not have been much actual cost for them parking one of our cars.

Now, however, the resorts are paying another company for that service, and if they are paying them by car parked (which seems likely), there is a direct cost to the resort if one of us gets our car parked. That's a different cost equation, and one the resorts may not be willing to eat. It's possible they've given DVC the option of either paying for our valets or eliminating the freebie, and DVC chose elimination.

We'll see. If it turns out to be just rumor, it wouldn't be the first time!
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Part of the "logic" for the free valet perk for DVC members at the DVC resorts was that our dues helped to pay for the valet wages. Members shared the cost of the service with the BWI.

If members now have to pay for valet at the DVC resorts, then member dues shouldn't have to pay for any portion of the "outsourcing contract". At a minimum, members should pay a reduced fee.

I can't believe that the valet company only gets paid if a car is parked. Don't their employees at least get minimum wage? I know the employees rely on tips for a portion of their pay. I can believe that there is a flat fee plus something per car parked, though.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Spacemonkaay
Mouseketeer

The guy from MS said they just found out about the change. I'm interested to see the backlash on this one . . . especially if there are any valet fees buried in the annual dues.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Spacemonkaay
Mouseketeer

Side note: I said nothing about even having a car on property. He fully pushed this information on me. Maybe one of you fine folks should call MS and ask about it, just to confirm that I'm not crazy. ;o)
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
mommyoftwo08
Mouseketeer

I too called this morning to modify our reservation for January and was given the same information. No more valet...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Just spoke to MS. Effective October 11th, DVC members will be charged $12,per day, for valet parking!! The reason? The service is now outsourced. I asked the CM about this being covered in our dues. She said this is no longer the case. Guests with disabilities will still receive the service free of charge.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Just spoke to MS. Effective October 11th, DVC members will be charged $12,per day, for valet parking!! The reason? The service is now outsourced. I asked the CM about this being covered in our dues. She said this is no longer the case. Guests with disabilities will still receive the service free of charge.
I wonder if this is also true for DDE/TiW?

I also wonder how many complaints the outsourced sompany will receive from the valets at the DVC resorts, as their tips will no doubt plummet? Or if maybe DVCers were really a "problem" for the valet system, as I've witnessed a few member meltdowns at resort front desks?

At least they are still doing free valet for folks with disabilities, so when traveling with Mom, it won't be a problem.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Spacemonkaay
Mouseketeer

Thanks. I began to think I was hearing phantom voices in my head or something.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
GoofItUp
DIS Veteran

Just my luck -- I'm just booked my first trip "home" for May and plan to have a car since we're at AKV. Looks like DH will be dropping us off and parking the car. Anyone know how far it is from the parking area to AKV (Jambo)? I'm guessing it's not a $12/day walk.

While we're on the subject of cars, parking, etc.....don't DVC members get free parking at the theme parks or did I dream that up?

Off Site - 06/87, Off Site - 06/93, ASM - 11/01, Dolphin - 11/03, CBR - 01/06, POR - 09/07 FIRST TRIP WITH DS-10 mo!, Off-Site - 06/08 (DH's conference, so DS and I hit the parks!), BCV - 03/09 DS#2 was sick, so DH & DS#1 went alone! , DL Fairfield - 10/09 First Trip to DL & DS#2's first trip to a Disney Park!, 06/10 - BWV (Our first trip as OWNERS!), 06/11 - AKV-Kidani, 03/12-BWV, 06/12 - Not sure where yet!
GoofItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofItUp View Post
While we're on the subject of cars, parking, etc.....don't DVC members get free parking at the theme parks or did I dream that up?
All onsite guests get free parking at the theme parks, including DVC resorts. If you stay offsite, DVCers do not get free theme park parking.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Spacemonkaay
Mouseketeer

They'll probably "outsource that service" too. JK.

Tags
parking, valet, valet parking

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: