Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #106
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
Beautiful pictures, as always! And I agree with you about Illuminations...it's my favorite nighttime show, too.
Thank you Nory Always good to hear from a fellow Illuminations lover.
For those of you who want to read an entertaining Trip Report you should check out Nory's TR in her signature. It is a lot of fun.

TRIP REPORT: It's a SO-LO trip report! Oct 09, CR/YC, MNSSHP, F&W, and total independence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribilín View Post
WOW! What a great collection of WDW pictures. Wonderful TR clearskies
Welcome!! and Thank you very much Tribilin. Great to hear from you.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #107
Kell-Bell
Mouseketeer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
Thank you Nory Always good to hear from a fellow Illuminations lover.
For those of you who want to read an entertaining Trip Report you should check out Nory's TR in her signature. It is a lot of fun.

TRIP REPORT: It's a SO-LO trip report! Oct 09, CR/YC, MNSSHP, F&W, and total independence!
Thanks for the tip I have indeed headed over to Nory's TR and your right very entertaining! I'd never really read any of the trip reports before but you guys have converted me!!

Add me the love Illuminations group!

And I'm glad I bought a smile to your face! You really are a wonderful photographer. SO many amazing pictures, and like I said fab commentary!

Look forward to the next installment!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #108
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-Bell View Post
Thanks for the tip I have indeed headed over to Nory's TR and your right very entertaining! I'd never really read any of the trip reports before but you guys have converted me!!
Glad to help make you a convert Kell-Bell
Honestly I was not much of a TR reader myself but I found there are some real gems out there.

Quote:
Add me the love Illuminations group!
Good to have another member of the club Before my trip I saw people post rumors that Illuminations was to be discontinued. It would be a sad day for me if this ever comes to fruition.

Quote:
And I'm glad I bought a smile to your face! You really are a wonderful photographer. SO many amazing pictures, and like I said fab commentary!

Look forward to the next installment!
Thank you so much Kell-Bell. I should be able to post my next installment tomorrow night.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #109
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 9 - 9/4 - Boo to You, You've Blocked My View (part 1)

We have a big day planned today. The main event for us is our first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party later in the day(referred to from here on in as MNSSHP). Because I wanted to maximize our party time I planned our Table Service meal of the day to be a late lunch instead of Dinner. I figured we would eat a quick CS for Dinner during the party perhaps while waiting for the parade. Originally I booked the GF cafe for a late lunch since it was within striking distance of MK but then thanks to this awesome Dis Community I saw a post a few weeks before our trip that some Le Cellier ADRs opened up in the time frame of our trip. Sure enough I went to the online system and was able to snag this coveted restaurant with a 1PM ADR. We had never been there so we were stoked to see what the mania was all about with this place. Since the rest of our travelers had limited park tickets I kept them at GF Cafe and rebooked from a party of 10 t0 6 for them at around 2PM. Is that a great day or what? We'll see if it lived up to my lofty expectations.

I wanted the kids to be well rested so that they don't implode on me at night since I wanted to keep them up late. Thus we were going to take our time getting to EPCOT in the AM. I let them sleep late and decided to do some laundry. I would like to say that something exciting happened here but it was pretty mundane unless you get kicks out of watching clothes spinning round and round. I guess the clothes were excited to get out of the room and hit their own water park and do some mingling. I caught up on some reading to pass the time while the clothes had a good time. At some point the kids got up and went for a swim with their cousins and my BIL's sister. We don't usually hit the pool too much in the resort so it was good to have them capitalize on some swim time and spend a refreshing morning.

By the time we got on our way it was late in the morning. Fortunately the busses to EPCOT were cooperating much better than our previous day. We were going on a busier day for EPCOT though. It was an EMH night at EPCOT and both Tour Guide Mike and Touring Plans had EPCOT listed as the "you are a fool to head there" category but I was not overly concerned because:
A. I am indeed a fool
and
B. We were basically going in for a tactical strike for lunch and to finish up the countries and Kidcot stations and then escape on the Monorail to MK so we were not staying too long.

We made it into EPCOT a little before noon. Here another pic as you are walking in

Since we had some time before lunch I asked the kids what they wanted to do when we got in. Want to take a guess? Nope, not Soarin. Not Test Track either. None of the heavy hitters were chosen. Instead, to my surprise, the winning attraction was....

drum roll please.....

I'll admit I was surprised (and not entirely thrilled). They really did have a good time with it the other day and if this is what they want then so be it. If they are happy then so am I (up to a certain extent). Now if they can only learn a lesson from this and actually save better when they are at home that would be nice or would that be too much to ask? I did head over to get FPs for Test Track before catching up with them at Innoventions just in case we wanted to some more substantial action after lunch. After spending some quality time with the Piggies we still had a little time to kill but not too much so we explored Innoventions a little more before it was time to go to make our pilgrimage to the Holy Land of Restaurants in EPCOT. Feel free to insert the sound effect of a divine chant or angel harps or something appropriate like that.

We got to Canada and I checked in while the kids went over to the Kidcot station nearby. The Victoria gardens there are beautiful. I snapped a few pics while waiting.

The wait was not that long and we were actually called in a little early. We got seated and my son wanted a picture of himself. He was quite colorful today.

We first had the bread and the cheese soup. The infamous pretzel bread lived up to its reputation. It was warm and delicious and it didn't stand a chance to last too long at our table. We had a great waitress that saw us ravage the bread and brought us more. I personally can't eat the soup but the consensus from the rest of my family was that it was ok but not the nectar of the gods that it is hyped up to be. They each ate only about half the soup. Sorry, you can take it up with them if you disagree. I am just the messenger. For the main course I had a strip steak, my wife the mushroom filet, son a steak sandwich and daughter a kid's steak. The consensus here was that this was one of the best meals we had in the trip. However, the food was not to die for. For comparative purposes let me say that I had a steak at a local casual chain restaurant, Houlihans, shortly after we had returned and the steak was slightly better there at a fraction of the cost. Of course you are not eating in EPCOT at your local restaurant and location certainly makes a difference when comparing prices. Also, comparisons based on one meal should be taken with a grain of salt. So the end result is that I can certainly see the appeal to go to Le Cellier but I would not get depressed if we could not get into the place in the future. We will definitely return there again someday but I will first opt to try some of the other places we have not tried in EPCOT. In case you are curious we have been to Garden Gill, Akershus, Rose and Crown, Nine Dragons, Chefs de France and Le Cellier and so far and Le Cellier was the best of the bunch. There are may other places though yet to experience. I am thinking Coral Reef, Teppan Edo and/or Biergarten for our next trip.

After eating we walked a bit more around the World Showcase. We took the less beaten path in back of Canada that goes towards the show there (which we had never seen and did not stop for this time either) and came upon this surprise which we did not know existed here:

We made our way around the World Showcase but did not really stop for too much. We did pause for some photos of some celebrities along the way. We did not stop for autographs or family pictures though.

OK, this is not a character but I liked this picture I took along the way so it is getting posted here

Back to the characters

We did stop for an autograph with Jasmine since this was a first for us.

I really wanted to catch the American Experience this trip. This is one of the few attractions I had never seen in EPCOT.
For the record we are down to just this, O Canada and some of the Innoventions attractions in our list. We have never seen the Wonders of Life attractions either but we missed that window of opportunity. Are they ever going to put anything else in that wasted space? Anyway, I digress, back to AI. My plans were dashed when we got to America and saw that the show time was too late for us since we had bigger and hopefully better plans to get to at MK. The AI will have to stay on my list for next trip. At this point we had one last country to hit for Kidcot and then we could declare we conquered the World and that was Mexico. Rather than walk all the way around we decided to take the boat across from Italy. Fortunately we did not have to wait too long and it took us less than 10 minutes to get across the Lagoon.

Once we got across the lagoon we went to the Mexico Pavilion and took care of the last Kidcot country and the kids got their last stamp and there was much fanfare. Streamers flew down and a Mariachi Band came out and photographers came out to take our pictures. OK, not really. none of these things actually happened but at least the kids had a small sense of accomplishment (very small).

I took a pic from the inside but it did not turn out quite as well as I hoped

We then took a ride with the Three Caballeros. We have seen this both before and after the introduction of Donald, Jose and Panchio and either way it has about the same entertainment value for us - which is small but not a complete waste of time.

On they way out I enjoyed these creatures and snapped some pics.

At this time it was shortly before 4PM and we were running a tad late since we said we would try to meet up with the others around 4PM at MK. So we made our way out of the park to catch the monorail to MK. We got to the Monorail station shortly after 4PM and a monorail came within 10 min and off we went for new adventures. This is a good place to stop for now. We will pick it up in MK in the next installment.

Last edited by clearskies; 11-20-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #110
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

I'm so loving all the Epcot shots. The waterfall was very cool, and the painting in France was a good one too. I think the Mexico interior was really lovely despite it not coming out the way you wanted.

Too funny about the Piggy Bank thing. You never know what kids will spark to. My daughter was a total Kim Possible nut last Epcot go-round, and did 2 missions with her dad as the rest of us hit rides.

I agree about Le Cellier. I remember one time when it was amazing, but not so much recently. For your next trip, I do recommend Teppan Edo and Biergarten. Both are must-dos for us, and the kids really have fun too.

Looking forward to MNSSHP!

P.S. It was sweet of you to spring for your clothes' water park passes! I hope you took some pictures to capture those precious moments.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #111
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
I'm so loving all the Epcot shots. The waterfall was very cool, and the painting in France was a good one too. I think the Mexico interior was really lovely despite it not coming out the way you wanted.
Hi Missus Toad!! Thank you. I do love EPCOT. So many scenic places to see. I was very happy with the waterfall shot.

Quote:
Too funny about the Piggy Bank thing. You never know what kids will spark to. My daughter was a total Kim Possible nut last Epcot go-round, and did 2 missions with her dad as the rest of us hit rides.
I do remind myself that the trips are for the little kids as much as us big kids. You husband made quite a sacrifice to do KP twice. Kudos to him.

Quote:
I agree about Le Cellier. I remember one time when it was amazing, but not so much recently. For your next trip, I do recommend Teppan Edo and Biergarten. Both are must-dos for us, and the kids really have fun too.
I actually had Biergarten scheduled but ended up changing it. I do want to try it since I have read so many good things about it. I am a little leery of the food but most people really enjoy it. I know Teppan Edo will be a lot of fun also. So many good choices.

Quote:
Looking forward to MNSSHP!
The best of the day is yet to come

Quote:
P.S. It was sweet of you to spring for your clothes' water park passes! I hope you took some pictures to capture those precious moments.
Alas no. My camera did not come along for this laundry trip
Old 11-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #112
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I loved all of your evening Epcot shots and Illuminations pics! So glad you were able to snag the LeCellier ressie! Looking forward to hearing about MNSSHP!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #113
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
I loved all of your evening Epcot shots and Illuminations pics! So glad you were able to snag the LeCellier ressie! Looking forward to hearing about MNSSHP!
Thank you Denise. I hope I did not portray Le Cellier poorly. It was right up there with some of the best food that we did eat on the trip. I think I have an issue with inflated expectations on a few things based on what I read. In many cases it seems that if something is raved about we still enjoy it but not quite as much as the masses seem to indicate and on the contrary we find that places that people pan are not as bad as their reviews indicate.

My next installment is coming up now..
Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #114
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 9 - 9/4 - Boo to You, You've Blocked My View (part 2)

We left off on the monorail from EPCOT to MK. We have never taken the monorail between the 2 parks. It was a nice way to travel. We got to MK a little after 4:30 and made our way in. Once again we were not steered wrong from our trusty Dis info and had no problem getting in with our event tickets even though the official start of the party was 7PM. It would not have been a problem for us anyway since we could have used our main hopper tickets but at least I felt assured the others in our party would not have run into issues and were not cursing me out for leading them astray.

Here is a pic I took as we walked in.

One thing to note is that most of the decorations had already been up for the non-party days so if you wanted to see the a lot of decorations and did not want to attend the party there are opportunities to do so. I don't think I mentioned this yet but this was the opening night of MNSSHP in 2009. Did it seem strange to be celebrating Halloween on Labor day weekend? You betcha, but this was really our only opportunity to see this party since I could not see us coming down in Oct anytime soon. A lot of people seemed to say that this is the best special event party that they have in Disney so we were willing to roll with it. I was actually psyched when I saw that there was actually a date where we could attend during our trip. I One thing we did not do though is dress up for the party. We figured it was going to be way too hot for the kids to walk around with costumes and it would lead to problems. As it is, my kids are not the best at dealing with the heat. Adding a costume to the mix could be a dangerous proposition. First they start to get hot and then unhappy and soon everyone is grumpy and then our Happy Halloween Party turns into a Crappy Halloween Party. No thank you, we decided not to head down that path. In retrospect, we probably should have gotten some T shirts or something more festive but it really did not matter much. There were plenty of people that were not dressed up. I imagine as you get closer to Halloween more people dress up.

As we were walking down Main street, the kids and I decided we could use some refreshment so we stopped here for some beverages.

While the kids were sitting inside my wife was trying to call her sister to see where they were. My SIL has the same affliction as my wife when is comes to cell phones. The Vegas odds are at 4-1 that they will actually answer when you call. I went outside and watched this guy for a while as my wife was trying to make contact. He was fantastic!!

My wife eventually got through to her sister and found that they were in FantasyLand so we made our way over. I took this along the way

We also took a brief detour where I showed my kids this.

I had seen pictures of this guy before but never saw it for myself and I wanted to catch a glimpse of him. Boy in Disney, there are lots of interesting things to see even in the gift stores. Actually come to think of it that is a pretty clever move on their part to reel us in so that they can go for the kill, isn't it?

We caught up with SIL and her son who were sitting just inside the Liberty Square Entrance to Fantasyland with while the rest of their crew was off riding HM. I looked across at my nemesis which was close by and was egging me on. The line was not too bad - about 20 min. We decided it was time for me to face my demons. It was time to conquer this ride and show it that I do indeed have the chops to take it on (or so I thought). We took our kids and our nephew over and got on line. This time I was ready. I had the best lens in my arsenal for dark rides on my camera. While waiting on line, I was running through my camera settings like a pilot doing pre-flight checks. I was ready for battle.

We climbed into our galleons and off we went. Let me tell you, the seas were angry that day my friends. Ok, yeah I know, we are really flying in our boats and not actually in the sea. I was just trying to get that Seinfeld reference in. Anyway, back to the ride. It all happened so quick. We got on the ride I found right off the bat with the bedroom scene that I did not quite have the answer yet to solve my photographic woes on this ride. I moved from scene to scene frantically trying to get a good shot and it did not go very well. Next thing I know I am getting spit out at the end and booted from my vessel with a hollow laugh coming from the ride and I heard, "you are going to have to do better than that to contend with me". Unfortunately this was a correct statement.

OK, here is the problem. I do have an awesome camera but it could not get the autofocus locked very well in during the ride. It kept hunting to get the focus down and was struggling mightily. I can't blame my trusty friend. It truly did try very hard to please me but alas I was asking too much of it I think. I came to the conclusion that if I am going to defeat this beast I am going to try to switch to manual focus when I make my next attack. Here is the best I was able to come up with from this venture.

After I was humbled yet again, our group was all rejoined and we were ready for our next attraction. What did they want to do? Small World. Ugh, normally one SW per trip is plenty enough for me. However, the rest of the crew had not been there yet and we did want to stay together for at least a little bit so we all ended up boarding. At least I knew that this "ear worm" was not going to be in my head for too long. It was going to get displaced later with a more powerful song. Hard to believe but yes my friends it is true. There is a force more powerful out there than "It's a small world after all". Those of you who have not been down for a Halloween Party may doubt me but those who have will probably attest that the "Boo to You" song is extremely dangerous. Once you get that sucker into your head it is hard pressed to get it out. We were still singing that song for a couple of months after we got back. OK, it does help that Halloween was yet to come and that darned song became our Halloween Theme song. Gosh darn it now it is stuck in my head again. Now look what you made me do.

OK, back to Small World. Here are some pictures from this cruise.

Once we finished my son really wanted to go to HM but the others had done it already. It is somewhat of a must do though to hit up the HM on a Halloween Party night right? So, we decided we would split off again for one ride and then after HM we would call them back and catch up. At least that was the plan. I got some good pics of HM to show from this go around.

We got off HM and it was getting closer to the time for the party to start but not quite. My wife was trying to call her Sis but true to form was not getting through. So much for the plan. In retrospect, I am not sure why we thought that my wife and her sister calling each other was going to be a strategy that was going to have a heck of a lot of success. As it turns out her sister realized later that her cell phone battery died. We passed Cindy's carriage while my wife was trying to make contact and stopped for some pics. They still had it roped off until the party was to start.

We were not really sure what to do next and then my daughter asked for the Speedway. I don't mind the attraction but it is a ride you can get at many other amusement parks. This is one of the small list of attractions in Disney where I don't think much differentiates it to make it worth my time. Especially since the line is usually long and slow for this. However it was 6:20 and the Party did not start til 7PM and the wait posted was about 10 min so I gave in. We made our way through the line and when we got to our turn they put my son and me on the staging area for one track and my wife and daughter on another. My son and I waited for a looooong time. Here are a couple of pics while waiting

It turns out there was a car on our track that broke down and the CMs were having trouble reviving it. They seemed as handy with this car as I am with mine which means they didn't have much of a clue. After a long wait they finally go the car moving. My son and I finally boarded. I would like to say it was totally worth the wait for the exhilaration of driving a slow car around a fixed track but alas it was not the really case. There is not too much else to say about this so I'll move on.

When we were done with our "race cars" (and I use that term loosely), I led the family back to Fantasyland. They asked what we were doing next and I just told them to follow me. I had a plan. I looked around for people lined up and found a line of people standing around for no apparent reason. This is what I was looking for. Who wouldn't want to join a line of people standing around for no apparent reason, right? We got over to the line and asked what they were there for and the person at the back said they think it is for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Yep, that's what I wanted to hear and we got on the end on the line. I was just hoping someone in the line was not thinking it was for this and they really knew it was the line for it. Meanwhile my wife was still trying to call her sis but true to no avail.

While waiting for the clock to strike 7 I noticed that the park was not really clearing out. There were a LOT of people here. I was hoping that there would be less people for this event. Are there really a lot of people out there who feel like celebrating Halloween 2 months before the actual Holiday??? Apparently so. Someone on the line say that he heard that the party was sold out. Curses, so much for the perk of a limited crowd during the party. Perhaps even though it seems crazy that people are flocking to a party to celebrate something so far in advance that it being opening night as well as the Friday of busier Labor Day Weekend factored into the crowd.

Shortly after 7PM the Part has officially started and who comes out and walks over to our line but these guys

Um, what the heck is going on here? The poor characters who probably would usually get a nice reception were not getting much love from the crowd since everyone was expecting SW+7D. The CM running the show said that this was going to be a continuous line and they would be changing shifts back and forth through the night and that SW and the 7D will be out later. Oh I almost experienced my first Disney riot by the crowd. This was going to get interesting. No offense to the Dums and the Hare but we did not wait all this time for these guys. Under normal circumstances we would love a picture with them but we waited all this time for some Dwarf action. The rest of the crowd was in the same boat. Don't tell us that people who join the line later are going to get to see them based on pure luck of where they happen to be on line when they change shifts. Apparently after the people in the front of the line revolted the lead CM did something sensible and came up with an alternate plan. All those who were there to see SW+7D would stay in line and she would start a separate line just for the Rabbit and the Tweedles. Ok good. we can live with that except now we need to wait 30 more min until SW+7D comes out and I was hoping to not cut into my party time that much. My plan to grab Dinner before the parade is also looking like it is going to be in jeopardy. We are in for the long haul now though so we wait. Finally a little after 7:30 out they come and they are like superstars with people flocking to see them. Oh, let me tell you, the issues with people coming up saying they were on line already and trying to get ahead of others who were there from the start. The poor CMs handled these people well though and they knew who was there before and who were not and handled the dual line mess well. Kudos to them. Where I have disappointment with Disney though is that they did not have a Photopass Photographer out for this, They did have a CM who would take pictures with your camera and that is great but here is the problem. At least for me, the CM could not take a simple picture. I am not talking about understanding the myriad of setting on my camera. I am just talking about pointing the camera correctly and pressing the shutter. I had already set up the camera the way I wanted it with the setting and zoom. After the CM took the pictures and we were on our way I looked at the shots and I see that my arm is completely cut off yet there is a bunch of open space on the other side of the frame. Ugh. Is it asking too much to get everyone into the shot. perhaps she was trying to improve the picture by cutting as much of me out of it as she could get away with. Oh well, it was too late to do anything about it at this stage and the picture was not horrible. Here is a picture of these celebrities I took while we were waiting on line to see them.

After we get done our greeting it was 7:40. My Kids are hungry so we are going to need to stop for some food. Our window of opportunity to eat and then see the 8:15 parade is closing fast. We headed to Cosmic Rays and was a little disappointed they don’t have normal menu but we deal with it. The lines are pretty large but we are committed at this point. Once we got our food I asked if we should take it on the go and see if we can find a spot for the parade. My wife nixed the idea and said we should just sit and eat and we can catch the 10:30 parade. She was probably right. There would be too many people at this stage to find a spot. So we sit down with Sonny and eat. In retrospect, If I had much of a brain I should have gone over there while waiting for SW+7D and we could have munched while waiting. C'est La Vie.

I am going to stop here for now. We have not delved to far into the event so far. There will be a lot more to see next in the next installment.

Last edited by clearskies; 11-22-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #115
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

LOL at the line riot! Poor Tweedles and Rabbit! Snow and the 7 are pretty adorable though! Nice shots!

Quote:
I would like to say it was totally worth the wait for the exhilaration of driving a slow car around a fixed track but alas it was not the really case.
Again, LOL! I'm right with you on that one. I have to stifle a low growl whenever one of the kids wants to detour into that dead zone. The number 12 shot is pretty cool though.

And speaking of dead zones, OMG those HM pics are AMAZING!

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #116
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm just joining your TR and I wanted to let you know that your pictures are amazing! I especially love the ones that you took of the teacups.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #117
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL at the line riot! Poor Tweedles and Rabbit! Snow and the 7 are pretty adorable though! Nice shots!
Hi Missus Toad. I actually wish we were able to get a picture of the Tweedles and Rabbit as well as SW+7D because they were also great. They did get a fair amount of people to line up for them as well do they did get some love.

Quote:
Again, LOL! I'm right with you on that one. I have to stifle a low growl whenever one of the kids wants to detour into that dead zone. The number 12 shot is pretty cool though.
Ugh, I wish they would do something to refurb that ride and make it more entertaining. I like your "dead zone" description
Thank you on the Number 12 shot. I also was also pleased with this shot.

Quote:
And speaking of dead zones, OMG those HM pics are AMAZING!
Thank you. I have a few more of this at the end of the trip (which unfortunately is rapidly approaching).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm just joining your TR and I wanted to let you know that your pictures are amazing! I especially love the ones that you took of the teacups.
Welcome Danielle!!! Thank you for joining in and I appreciate the comments on the photos. WDW is the perfect vacation spot for someone like me that has a passion for Photography as well as Disney. I especially love the opportunities at night!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #118
norybell
DIS Veteran

Somehow I missed two updates!

Love the pictures, as always...especially the Canada ones.

And I totally agree with you about the "Boo to You" song. Even just reading your mention of it here has put it in my head, and it'll probably be there for another month now!
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #119
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
Somehow I missed two updates!

Love the pictures, as always...especially the Canada ones.

And I totally agree with you about the "Boo to You" song. Even just reading your mention of it here has put it in my head, and it'll probably be there for another month now!
Hi Nory. Thank you so much for your comments!!

I wish I could explain why that simple little ditty is so darned addictive. I'll have to get past this part of my TR soon otherwise I may never get it out of my head.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #120
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 9 - 9/4 - Boo to You, You've Blocked My View (part 3)

We left off abandoning our plans to hit the first Boo to You parade and we were eating at Cosmic Rays. After a bit of munching on some burgers and chicken my wife got a call back from her Sis on her husband's cell. They were in Frontierland waiting for the Parade and said there was room for us where they were. OK, giddyup back to plan A. We shoveled some more food quickly down and then dumped the rest and made our way out. So, here is where I made yet another of my many tactical mistakes. I led my family around the front of the castle to try to get into Liberty Square and then Frontierland. Unfortunately we hit a road block. Once we got in front of the castle the path was roped off and there was just no getting through. We were running out of time at this point and it was too late re-route our course. So we had to abort our mission and we decided to just stay put there and watch what we could. There were a lot of people here though and we were not going to get very close to the action. Fortunately, some very nice people made room for my kids so they got to see. Thank you so much kind strangers!! I hung out in back figuring it was not worth the angst of trying to jockey for better position and I would wait for the second parade for a better view. So, I don't have very much to show you as far as pictures of the parade are concerned at this point. I only have some of the higher up floats. Note that this is not the circumstances that led to the title of the installments for this day. We'll get to that in a little bit.

Even from the back of the crowd it was a great parade. I am typically not that big of a parade nut and with the exception of Spectro I don't usually go out of my way to see them. From what I was able to see of the BTY parade though I was sold on it. This parade was definitely a must do for later in the night. For a lesser parade I may very well have decreed that this showing was good enough for us and we would instead spend our time on other things later. There was so much entertainment going on here though I had to see it with a better view.

After the parade, I wanted to stay put on main street to get in position for pics of Hallowishes but rest wanted to get some Trick or Treating in. That's not really my thing anyway since I don't eat candy so they went off while I stayed on Main Street to find a place to set up for the 9:30 show. Main Street was still busy with a lot of people so I had to hunt around for a bit to find a good vantage point. Eventually I settled down to a spot that I thought was good and I was ready for action and waited for the show to begin.

I stood around a bit with that "Boo to You song" floating around in my head. It is really inexplicable to me why that song is so catchy. With such brilliant lyrics as the following section of the song how could it not be a hit.
Boo to you and you
It's not so very scary
It's really not so scary
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
It's not so very scary
It's really not so scary
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
Boo to you
Boo boo boo
Boo to you
Boo boo boo

I can envision something like the following when the person who wrote this presented it to his boss

Writer: "I came up with a great song for the Halloween Parade". Give it a look
Boss: Reading..."Um, do you realize you are just repeating the Words 'Boo' 'to' and 'You' over and over again ad nauseum."
Writer: "Trust me. It's pure gold"
Boss: "Oh no. I thought you put the booze behind you. Are you having problems at home? Is there something I can do to help?"
Writer: "I'm serious with this. Look at the refrain for Small World"
Boss: "Ok true, you've got a point there." Long Pause "Alright, I'll give this a short leash but I'll take it to a focus group"

and the rest is history.

Here is one of the may castle pics I took while waiting. I'll spare you from the same castle shot over and over and just show this one

Finally the show is starting. Then, just when the music starts for the beginning of the Hallowishes show, out of nowhere comes a man and his daughter who pull up right in front of me and this is what happens

AARRGGHH.

Now it is time for my version of the Boo to You song dedicated to this man. If you have never heard the real Boo to You song you may want to listen to it Youtube but be very careful it can get stuck into your head and don't say I didn't warn you.

Boo
to you
You've Blocked
My view
I have no Luck
and now I'm Stuck
With no great Wishes Pictures
due to you

Oh I just might scream

Boo
To You
You Need
A Clue
I Just might Cry
Oh why, Oh Why
Did you have to walk right
into my View

I could go on but I'll spare you. It could be worse. you could have to actually hear me sing it.

I think I could have named this Trip Report "Why can't I get a decent photo of Blasted Wishes." In all actuality though, I was not really angry at the guy. He was just trying to help his daughter get a better view and there are no rules against that. It was just darned frustrating but these things will happen and I have been there before and I will in the future. Unlike all the other nighttime shows and parades in Disney you are at the mercy of the crowd when it comes to wishes. For anything else if you get somewhere early and set up you don't have to worry too much about your vantage point changing on you. For wishes though you can stake out a spot well in advance with a great view but as what happened here at any point in time this can change. There may be some spots where you can guarantee that no one gets in front of you to block some of your view but they are probably very few and difficult to get. I would like to know if there is such a list of places though for future reference. I know the train station is one but that is too far back for me and there is a pole that I prefer to avoid in that view.

So, what to do? I folded up the tripod and walked around in the crowd for a little bit searching for another good spot but I was done for at this stage. It was too late. There were too many people and no good place to accommodate me. So, I decided to just aim higher and I would cut off the bottom of the castle. So here are my less than optimal end results. I was thinking this was my last at bat to get some the Main St wishes pics with a nice castle in the foreground on this trip and unfortunately I just struck out. It just did not seem that it was meant to be on this trip.

I guess I am being a bit over dramatic on this though. To imply that these pictures are bad pictures is not really true. I was just had higher aspirations.

Let me just say though that the Hallowishes show is an awesome overall show. Optimal Photos or not it was very cool and I did enjoy it!! It is great to see a little different show than the standard Wishes.

I am going to stop here and I will finish up the last part of the night in my next installment. We have the second Boo to You coming up next.

Last edited by clearskies; 11-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: