Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #91
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
Boat or not, those are some sweet Wishes and EWP pics! Well done! And I'm so glad both the cruise and Wishes went off as scheduled.
Thank you I was pleased with the EWP pics. It was nice to be closer to the barges. I was not displeased with the wishes pics. Getting more trails on the fireworks would have been nice but not on a boat.

Quote:
Nice try with the surprise. Sometimes kids just aren't as excitable as we give them credit for! Glad no one's feelings were hurt-- a sense of humor definitely helps.
Yes, apparently my daughter was the only one that had much of a reaction instead of their niece and nephew. It was fine. It gave us all a laugh.

Quote:
I'm always hearing about Pepper Market problems. I wonder why they don't fix it.
Ugh, this outing was ok but I had issues later on. Too bad because as a CS place the food is very good.

Quote:
Love the Small World shots, especially Cleopatra and the hippo.
Thank you. Those are my 2 favs as well

Quote:
I too have mixed feelings about Chef Mickey's. Another place that's hit or miss for us, although we tend to go for breakfast. Great shots of the gang though. The Minnie one especially jumps out at me.
Yes, it was disappointing but we will definitely give it another go again. We have never done a character breakfast but I would probably try it there if we were. I am not that big on breakfast myself. I should probably pay more heed to that "most important meal of the day" mantra.

Quote:
Looking forward to more-- I will try to be patient.
The next couple of trip days will be good. Hey, I am glad to know that there are people who are eager for more updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
I think your pictures from the Wishes cruise turned out really good! What a great view!
Thank you Denise It truly is a great view and there was only a couple of other boats and we were a fair enough distance from them that it felt secluded. It was a little pricey and I would not do it each trip but it was worth it!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #92
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - 9/3 - Will we ever get back to EPCOT again? (part 1)

I am excited about Day 8. Heck, you should be too. We are pulling up out of a little bit of a valley in our photographic journey and heading back to an upslope to go to one of my favorite parks, EPCOT. We only touched upon a small part of EPCOT on our first day and I was anxious to get back now since there is so much more to see. I especially love the night at the World Showcase and Illuminations and we were not there at night our first day. I picked a Thurs to head to EPCOT since it was one of the 2 days in the week that Fantasmic was showing at DHS and it was an EMH day at MK as well as a Spectro night. I was hoping these factors would draw the crowds away from EPCOT. This turned out to be the case but it may have also come back to bite us a little as I will explain in a bit.

I got up at 7:30 AM and got myself ready early but my wife and I decided to let the kids sleep a little more today. I was feeling much better today and my cold was down to a point where it was not going to slow me down any further. It was just a minor nuisance. This was the only day on our trip where my SIL's family was ready to go before us. I think their new arrivals were itching to get the party started. So we told them to head off without us and we would catch up later. We did this a lot on this trip but I think it is good to have a fair amount of time apart when you travel with a group anyway.

We got to the bus around 10AM and we had our worst bus experience of the week. I get it that DHS and MK would likely have more busses running due to the factors that I mentioned above. However, as we were waiting for an EPCOT bus there were 4 busses that came by for DHS as well as 4 for MK and the EPCOT bus was definitely MIA. When bus 3 came along for MK there were only about 15 people on line for MK. There was a bus directly on its tail without its marquee lit up. Our neglected line of EPCOT travelers were all in suspense. Was this finally our blasted bus? Then the marquee gets lit up with Magic Kingdom. There was an audible groan from the line. How can this be? The bus directly in front of it is not going to even come close to filling up when it takes everyone waiting for MK. So, I decided to walk over to "the guy" who looked like he served some functional purpose regarding busses since he had an official looking clipboard and a radio. I was very cordial to him and asked if it was possible to redirect that second bus to EPCOT since it clearly was not needed. He was nice as well but he told me he can not re-direct busses. He said the EPCOT bus got held up but it is on its way. I am now wondering what purpose he actually does serve but I did not say anything. I am really non-confrontational and I did not want to get worked up over a bus. So I went back to line feeling so much better that and EPCOT bus was "on its way". Couldn't that be true no matter where it was. Anyway a little bit later he did come by and tell me that if I wanted to call in and complain that he can give me the number. It was almost as if he wanted me to call but I was not interested in complaining I just wanted to get to the park. After another coupe of busses our EPCOT bus finally arrived and there was much rejoicing. So, my lesson from this experience is that if you are going to head to a park that is anticipated to have less people that day you may want to allocate more time to get there since there are probably less busses running there.

Once we got in we got some photopass pics and I took a pic or two from the front.

My wife called her sister to see where they were. They were waiting on line for Spaceship Earth. Ugh, I have failed them as a Disney Geek. I should have told them before they left that you don't go to SE when you get in if there is a line. That is where everyone else goes that does not know any better when they first get in. We are not going to head there ourselves, thank you. Instead we checked out the common board with wait times and saw that Soarin was only 15 min. We can't pass that up so I sent the wife and kids over yo the Land while I headed to Test Track to pick up Fast Passes and then catch up.

We got to soarin and I was going to ask for a front row seat but there was no need. We were headed there anyway. Ok, great, no feet dangling in front of us to distract us this time. As we are watching though I notice that there are grid lines in the screen that I never picked up on before. I think because you are seeing more of the sky which is a lighter solid picture that these lines stand out more. Now that I have discovered these lines I can't help but fixate on them. Ugh, I try to concentrate on not paying them any heed but of course that makes me even more fixated on them. Geez I need help. After we get off our clan wanted to go on another flight so we ride one more time. This time we are in middle row. Since I have grids lines on my brain I can’t control looking for them and still see them. Great. Now I am going to fixate on these every time I get on the darned ride. I can say though they are less noticeable in the second row. If you are reading this and are saying what grid lines then pretend you never read this ok. This is just ramblings of a loon. There is nothing there to see ok. Don't even think about it. They probably reconditioned the screen already and there is nothing there so don't look for them.

When we get off, the Kids wanted to stop at Kidcot station there. I told my wife I would head over to Mission Space and grab FastPasses and meet them at the Imagination Pavilion. I get the FPs, stop at the fountain on the way back and help take some pictures of a family and then get to the front of the Imagination Pavilion and wait and wait and wait.

Eventually I call my wife's cell

Wife: "Hello"
Me: "Oh, I am sorry, I must have the wrong number. My wife doesn't answer her cell phone."
Wife "Funny, just don't get used to it"
Me: "Ok, so where are you"
Wife: "We are at Imaginations like you said"
Me: "Ok, great I am at the Imagination Pavilion also. Where exactly are you"
Wife: "We are right outside the building with all the characters in it"
Me: bang, bang, bang
Wife: "What is that sound"
Me: "That's just me banging my head into a pole"
Wife: "Oh ok, I think you might want to stop that"
Me: "Probably a good idea"
"So you are at Innoventions, not the Imagination Pavilion"
Wife; "Oh, where is that?"

Just a little insight into my world and why therapy might do me some good.

So after we clear up our EPCOT geography we are all together and head in to see our purple friend.

There was no line for this but I am not sure we have ever seen a line on this. However, it does have some entertainment value for our kids. The best part though was after the ride in the Kodak Labs. My kids had a good time playing around there.

After this is was time to eat. We had heard from SIL and they were in the land heading on Soarin so we went there to meet up at Sunshine Seasons. As mentioned in a previous post, I think this is one of the best CS places on property. After we catch up and eat my SIL's family was going to head off for a KP mission. Been there, done that. No need to save the world again this trip so we continue our separate ways and we headed to use our FP for Test Track.

On the way over though we saw Chip and Dale and had to stop since my daughter loves them. They kept coming after one of the Moms that had a candy bar and I was curious what was going on. Then the handler said that her candy bar has nuts in it and they are going crazy for the nuts. Too funny.

We got sidetracked passing by Innoventions and went in to see if they had different characters for the Visa Picture spot. It was the same as our first day
though: Mickey and Pluto. While we were there the kids wanted to try "The Great Piggy Bank Adventure". I would not usually have thought of stopping for this but I did say I wanted to try new experiences this trip. You get this little piggy bank and you take it through different stations and play games that are supposed to teach you how to save. The games were a lot of fun for the kids and they had a great time with it.

Now it was finally time to head to TT.

We all have a great time on this ride especially my daughter who was afraid to go on it last trip. Things change so much in 2 years. Note that If you plan on getting a photopass CD then don't forget to get your ride picture on your photopass card. This is one of the only rides that you can do this.

After TT we went to MS. I am not one to enjoy getting dizzy. I get disorientated enough without any assistance. So my wife went by herself to the "Are you nuts" version and I took my kids through the mild side. I'll admit it, my wife has a stronger constitution than I. I tried to take a picture outside but the sky was awful today so I did not get anything I was too pleased with.

Next up was Universe of Energy. We enjoy this but it does take up a large chunk of time. I also admit that this time my eyelids were getting a tad heavy. A combination of a slow and dark attraction can be dangerous in the afternoon when you start to get a little tired.

Now it was time to finally make it over to Spaceship Earth. It was a walk on. See I told you it would be better later. I showed some pictures from our first day. Here are some different ones:

Now we are off to World Showcase. The sky has been gray all day but it started to look more ominous. I was hoping we would make it around the world without the skies opening up on us.

As usual did not allocate enough time for the World Showcase. I see people who dedicate separate days for the World Showcase. That is probably a good idea but I am not sure we could make it through Future World without getting pulled into the attractions. At this stage it was 5:30 and we had 6:45 Dinner reservations in Norway. So we decided to skip right on past Canada, UK and France since we saw them our first day. From there we took a whirlwind tour of the rest of the world. We had to stop at Kidcot stations at each country but didn't have too much time to explore too much more than that. Here are some pictures from our quick romp around the world.

One of these trips I really do need to find a way to devote more time to see the details of all the countries. We made it around to Norway at 6:20. Whew that was quick. Coming up in my next post will be Dinner and a Show.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #93
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
I started to look more ominous. I was hoping we would make it around the world without the skies opening up on us.

You really should enter this in this week's photo contest on weather..... Very cool shot!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #94
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
You really should enter this in this week's photo contest on weather..... Very cool shot!
Hello mom3rtk. Thank you. I have enjoyed some of the pictures you have posted. I especially like the photo of the fence with the autumn foliage you posted this month. That was a great shot.

I remember talking to a photopass photographer by the fountain and I remarked about the threatening sky and how I thought we were in for some trouble. She said that it has been like this for a couple hours and we have kept dry so far so you never know. Wouldn't you know we did not get rained on that day. I stayed gray most of the day but we were very lucky.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #95
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello mom3rtk. Thank you. I have enjoyed some of the pictures you have posted. I especially like the photo of the fence with the autumn foliage you posted this month. That was a great shot.

I remember talking to a photopass photographer by the fountain and I remarked about the threatening sky and how I thought we were in for some trouble. She said that it has been like this for a couple hours and we have kept dry so far so you never know. Wouldn't you know we did not get rained on that day. I stayed gray most of the day but we were very lucky.
Thanks! I can't believe you had those clouds but didn't get rained on! Still a very cool shot..... We got rained on a couple times on our last trip, but it happened so quickly there was barely time to put the camera away, let along get a decent shot....

I'm enjoying your report and your photos!

And thanks for the comment on my fence photo. It's my favorite fall spot. It's only blocks from my house. I've done pics of my kids in Halloween costumes there for 6 years now.

I look forward to hear and seeing more from your trip!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #96
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Eventually I call my wife's cell

Wife: "Hello"
Me: "Oh, I am sorry, I must have the wrong number. My wife doesn't answer her cell phone."
Wife "Funny, just don't get used to it"
Me: "Ok, so where are you"
Wife: "We are at Imaginations like you said"
Me: "Ok, great I am at the Imagination Pavilion also. Where exactly are you"
Wife: "We are right outside the building with all the characters in it"
Me: bang, bang, bang
Wife: "What is that sound"
Me: "That's just me banging my head into a pole"
Wife: "Oh ok, I think you might want to stop that"
Me: "Probably a good idea"
"So you are at Innoventions, not the Imagination Pavilion"
Wife; "Oh, where is that?"

Sounds like you've had a fun day so far. Looking forward to hearing about dinner!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #97
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! I can't believe you had those clouds but didn't get rained on! Still a very cool shot..... We got rained on a couple times on our last trip, but it happened so quickly there was barely time to put the camera away, let along get a decent shot....

I'm enjoying your report and your photos!
Thank you mom2trk. We more than made up for keeping dry this day with plenty of rain on other days. It is the price you pay traveling at this time of year. Fortunately there were no days that were complete wash outs.

Quote:
And thanks for the comment on my fence photo. It's my favorite fall spot. It's only blocks from my house. I've done pics of my kids in Halloween costumes there for 6 years now.
You have a good eye for finding such a great setting for Halloween pictures. You most have great shots from year to year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post

Sounds like you've had a fun day so far. Looking forward to hearing about dinner!
we really do enjoy EPCOT. Next installment coming up right now...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #98
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - 9/3 - Will we ever get back to EPCOT again? (part 2)

When we left off we just completed a quick tour around the World Showcase and made it to Norway. We were still a little early to check in for Dinner so we decided to take a short voyage to see some vikings and trolls. Fortunately there was 0 wait for The Maelstrom. We met this interesting creature on our voyage.

Of course we had to say hello to this handsome fella after the ride.

After we got out it was a little after 6:30 and there was no sign of the rest of the party and I wanted to check in for Dinner. My wife gave them a call and they said they were heading to Test Track. Um, no that is not going to work. You need to hightail it over here. So, my wife told them they had to abort their mission and redirect over to Norway pronto. I took some more pictures while waiting.

By the time the rest of our party arrived I was a little late for check in but it was not an issue with the CMs. We did not get called in until 7PM though and I was a little worried that we would have enough time to eat and then get a decent spot for Illuminations. We had been to Akershus in our trip 2 years earlier and though I was not overly impressed the rest of our travelers thought it was great. In 2007 I had ordered the Kjottkake which is a some type of ground meat patty. I am not a huge eater but this thing resembleed the size of the "where's the beef" burger from those commercials of old . The rest of our group on that trip had ordered a short rib dish though and they were sold so I was told we should go back this trip. One nice change on this trip was that they included a gratis picture with the Headliner Princess which happened to be Belle in her yellow gown. Perhaps it is always Belle. I am not sure. It also happened to be her in our previous trip. We were able to get 3 pictures since we had a party of 10 which worked out perfect since we had 3 families. Here is a picture of Belle in her formal wear.

One not so good change this trip was that the menu had changed and the short rib dish that the others had enjoyed last trip was to be no more. So the rest of the Adults ordered either the Kjottkake or the Salmon. I steered clear of both and went with bold move to the lamb stew. This go around I think I was the only one that came out of the meal satisfied. Fortunately there is the cold buffet there that they rest thought wasn't that bad. The Princess interaction was good but was a little subdued except for Ariel. Ariel was definitely the best of the royalty we saw this night and my daughter got a good reaction from her when she was my daughter was wearing an Ariel shirt. My daughter also proudly showed off the Ariel backpack that we toted around most of the trip in the parks. Here are the pictures of the princesses.

The lighting must have been strange since Snow White looked different than she did in Germay earlier. Funny how much the lighting can change ones appearance.

Once it got to about 8PM I was itching to get out. Fortunately the rest of the party was not interested in staying for dessert and they packaged it up for us to go instead. My SILs family decided they wanted to go back to Test Track and my daughter wanted to join them as well. There is no way my wife and I were missing Illuminations though and my son wanted to stay with us as well so we separated after dinner and my wife, son and I found a great spot between Norway and Mexico right next to the fence with a clear view of the World Showcase Lagoon.

I took some pictures while waiting for the show

I think we are in the minority but Illuminations is our favorite nightime show at Disney. This is the show that transformed us on our first trip in 2003. We saw Illuminations on our first night this trip and were awestruck that such an amazing spectacle was shown every night there. I could see the astonishment in my son's eyes when we watched the show that night. He was 6 years old at the time. The combination of spectacular fireworks and inspirational music make this show a winner for us. We realized that WDW was a special place with unparalleled theme park entertainment. We understood why so many people love this place. On the way out that night we paseed the fountain and my son thew some coins in and then asked my wife and I if we wanted to know what he wished for. We told him that he did not have to say but he wanted to and he told us that he wished that he loves his family forever and ever. I got a lump in my throat and gave him a big hug. We were only down in WDW for 3 days this trip and we made sure to see Illuminations again that trip since we enjoyed it so much the first time.

OK, back to our present trip. Here are some picture I took this go around.

The show continues to impress us. My son commented that it was incredible and that the rest of the family did not know what they were missing. He was right.

I reached my picture limit on this post so I am finishing up in the next post....
Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #99
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - 9/3 - Will we ever get back to EPCOT again? (part 3)

I wanted to take a few more pictures on the way out but I didn't want to push it since my wife and son were getting tired. They are very tolerate of me though. I was able to take a few before leaving.

In a future trip I am going to have to get to EPCOT on an evening EMH night so that I can walk around the countries at night and get more pictures. EPCOT is a stunning park at night.

I will end Day 8 here. We have an exciting day ahead of us next with a little more of EPCOT on Day 9 with lunch reservations at Le Cellier and then MNSSHP later in the day.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #100
Kell-Bell
Mouseketeer

Fantastic Trip Report!

Now I don't normally read trip reports but the title of yours had me intrigued! And I am so glad that I did

Your very good at this. Very funny commentary's have been giggling to myself! (very quietly tho as I don't want my co-workers suspecting anything!)

Your photo's are just astonishing!!! I love the pics in your 'Day 4 Part 5 Magic Kingdom. The teacups wow! And the castle & main street incredible!

Also thank you for your comments on CS restaurants i'm doing the quick service dining plan in January so was very interested in opinions.

And the pic's of POP are brilliant, I loved it there!

Bring on the next instalment!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #101
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

OMG, how have I missed so many updates!!!??? Oh, I know-- crazy week with trying to change kids' schools.

I am on overload right now, but let me give you my quick summary-- your Epcot shots ROCK!!! The Illuminations shots are to die for. It is a favorite of ours too. All those WS at night pics are gorgeous, especially China. The masks (Italy?) look awesome too.

What a sweet wish your son made!

I'm gonna do better about keeping up now that things seem to be settling down a bit.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #102
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

All of your pictures are great as usual, but I really love the one of China at night! Great job!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #103
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell-Bell View Post
Fantastic Trip Report!

Now I don't normally read trip reports but the title of yours had me intrigued! And I am so glad that I did

Your very good at this. Very funny commentary's have been giggling to myself! (very quietly tho as I don't want my co-workers suspecting anything!)

Your photo's are just astonishing!!! I love the pics in your 'Day 4 Part 5 Magic Kingdom. The teacups wow! And the castle & main street incredible!

Also thank you for your comments on CS restaurants i'm doing the quick service dining plan in January so was very interested in opinions.

And the pic's of POP are brilliant, I loved it there!

Bring on the next instalment!
Welcome Kell-Bell!! Thank you for bringing a smile to my face after a long tough day at work. I truly appreciate your comments. It looks like I will be pretty busy with my job this week so I may not have my next installment until the weekend but stay tuned. The next day on our trip was a one of the highlights of the trip.

Quote:
OMG, how have I missed so many updates!!!??? Oh, I know-- crazy week with trying to change kids' schools.

I am on overload right now, but let me give you my quick summary-- your Epcot shots ROCK!!! The Illuminations shots are to die for. It is a favorite of ours too. All those WS at night pics are gorgeous, especially China. The masks (Italy?) look awesome too.

What a sweet wish your son made!

I'm gonna do better about keeping up now that things seem to be settling down a bit.
Hey there Missus Toad!! I missed you. I certainly know what it is like to have a crazy week. I hope things work out well for you with the change. That can be difficult for the kids. I've been there myself. Best of Luck to you.

Thank you for your comments on the pictures :-) I love EPCOT at night. I especially wanted to get that China picture. Oh, and you are correct, those masks are indeed from Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzbear View Post
All of your pictures are great as usual, but I really love the one of China at night! Great job!
Thank you! I was very pleased with the China shot. I am kicking myself for not heading over there on an evening EMH night earlier in the trip so that I could get more pictures. Oh well, it gives me more things to look forward to in my next trip.

Last edited by clearskies; 11-17-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #104
norybell
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures, as always! And I agree with you about Illuminations...it's my favorite nighttime show, too.
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #105
Tribilín
Mouseketeer

WOW! What a great collection of WDW pictures. Wonderful TR clearskies

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: