Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #76
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - 9/1 - Who's the boss (part 3)

It's time to get ready for Narcoossee's. The rest definitely did me some good. I wasn't feeling great but I was better than before. We cleaned ourselves up and put on a little nicer clothes than our usual park attire and headed out. We got to Narcoossee's a little early and checked in. Unlike 1900 PF there is no horde of people and the wait is not long. During our short wait, a CM took out a couple of lobsters from the tank to show the kids and she introduces them to Larry the Lobster and Shelley the Lobster. It was very nice of her and the kids were enjoying it but I couldn't help thinking that this had the potential to cause complications for some by giving the little critters cute names when one of them makes a return visit later in the nigh on a plate. My kids had no issues though so it was all good. I am not a huge lobster fan but my wife and kids are so I know we'll be seeing some of our new friends later.

We got seated a little early and were taken to a fabulous table right near the window. This restaurant gets high marks right the start with the ambience and view. We had a stellar view over the lagoon to the MK. It is pretty far away though so the castle is small. I also liked the fact that though it is a nice place it was not stuffy. My kids and formal places usually don't mix very well. At some point during the meal there is something bound to happen such as my son bringing one of Shelley's claws back to life to attack his sister. Anyway, after ordering our food I stepped out to the deck in the view. Here are a couple pictures.

Once the food came I make it back inside. I had ordered the filet, my Wife the Shelley, my Son the Surf and Turf and Daughter the kid's steak. I would say that the food was definitely very good. It was not knock your socks off good but it was one of the best meals we had on our trip. I finished the meal with enough time to get out on the deck to set up for wishes. The waiter was going to hold off on dessert until after the show. Out on the deck, I did make sure to try to position myself so that I did not block anyone's view from inside. Once Wishes started though a lot more people made their way out to the deck and it became a moot point about blocking anyone's view. So if you go there and get a seat by the window don't be surprised if a crowd of people congregate outside too and you may not still have that great view once wishes starts. My kids eventually made their way out to keep me company as well. Once the show started they piped the music in. All in all it was a very nice experience. I was a little surprised that the fireworks were so far off to the left of the castle from this vantage point though. Because of this I had to keep my field of view very wide on the photos. I was thinking I would be able to zoom more to get the castle bigger but once the show started I nixed that idea. It is amazing what a different perspective you get vs being on Main St. I can't say I am wild about the pics that I took but some came out ok.

I think next trip I would like to see what wishes look like from the poly beach.

After the show, the kids and I stayed out on the deck and watched the Electric Water Pageant as well.

My kids were starting to fade fast at this point so instead of staying for dessert my wife ordered it to go. They packaged it up very nicely. I took care of the waiter and we headed off back to Pop. When we got back to the resort my wife and kids went to share our desserts with her sister's family. The almond crusted cheesecake seemed to be the biggest hit. BTW I booked SIL's family at the Cape May buffet since they were not interested in Narcoossee's and they thought it was a great. We have never been there so I am definitely adding it as a place to try on our next excursion even though I was a little down on buffets this trip.

So ends day 6. Our next day is going to be an easy day for us so there was no need to get up early and we could use some rest.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #77
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

I love the different perspective for the fireworks. I really like the red starburst ones! Great job!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #78
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner! That really is a different perspective for Wishes. I couldn't believe how far to the left the fireworks were!!!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #79
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

A great trip report and outstanding photos. Its almost like being there! I was wondering if you shoot RAW or JPEG?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #80
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

I love nighttime at the World. The Contemporary shot is awesome. Fave shot of the Wishes bunch is the 3rd. Very nice, but again, all of them are. I can just hear the music looking at the EWP pics!

Glad you were feeling better. Narcoosee's has always interested me, but we've never made it there. Maybe next time!

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #81
jjzmgailey
DIS Veteran

I am still so thoroughly enjoying your pics & report!

I just told DH that next time we go, we are staying in MK until 1/2 an hour past closing so he can take an empty Main Street nighttime pic with me peeking into the shot! He actually laughed...
Me (NeuroticDisneyMom#30) drinkin' my coffee, readin' the DIS DH DS 15 DD 11
| Disney Parks Moms Panel | Jackie's Magical Moments | Follow Me On Twitter
UPCOMING VISITS: Disney's Old Key West Resort Sept 2013 | Disney's Polynesian Resort October 2013
PAST VISITS: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa April 2013 | Disney's Wilderness Lodge April 2013 | Disney's Beach Club Resort Feb 2013 | 2013 WDW Moms Panel Training Weekend!!! Dec 2012 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Oct 2012 | Disney's Art of Animation Resort Sept 2012 | Disney's Yacht Club Resort April 2012 (DisneySMMoms) | Offsite Vacation Home for Princess 5K Feb 2012 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Dec 2011 | Disney's Bay Lake Tower Oct 2011 | Disney's Old Key West Resort Sept 2011 | Disney's Vero Beach Resort May 2011 | Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort May 2011 | Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa March 2011 (DisneySMMoms) | Disney's Polynesian Resort Feb 2010 (DisneySMMoms) | Disney's Saratoga Springs TreeHouse Villas Sept 2009 | Disneyland Resort Area Feb 2009 | Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa Sept 2008 | Disney's Old Key West Resort April 2008 | Disneyland Resort Area Nov 2007 | Disneyland Hotel Dec 2006 | Disneyland Hotel Feb 2004
Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #82
diputs
Earning My Ears

I just quickly scanned your trip report and noticed the camera gear.

I am planning a solo 7 day trip to Disney specifically to take photos, and I was hoping I could get your experiences lugging all the equipment around, how many pictures you took, backup of photos, battery charging, etc...

Should I read your blog a lot closer, are the answers there?

Thanks,

Heath
Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #83
dallasdisneymommy
Mouseketeer

Love your TR and all your photos!!! I love that you've captured in detail all the things that we've all seen a thousand times but haven't taken the time to soak in. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #84
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Hello, we went away this weekend do I did not make any progress on this report. I will try to post an update tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzbear View Post
I love the different perspective for the fireworks. I really like the red starburst ones! Great job!
Thank you. Boy I saw wishes from several different places this trip: Fantasyland, Grand Floridian, Wishes Cruise, Main St. Each perspective was good but Main Street is still the place I enjoy them the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner! That really is a different perspective for Wishes. I couldn't believe how far to the left the fireworks were!!!

Denise
The Dinner at Narcoosee's is a great experience. If I was not using up credits on the meal plan and instead paying OOP I would probably think it was a little overpriced for the food that you are served but we certainly enjoyed it. The food being a bit overpriced though is really no different than most places in WDW.

I had never seen wishes from GF and I was very surprised how far off they were from the castle from this perspective. On a prev trip we saw them from the Contemporary roof and it is very nice from there. Next trip we will hopefully check them out from the Poly Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
A great trip report and outstanding photos. Its almost like being there! I was wondering if you shoot RAW or JPEG?
Well, my camera has a setting to shoot both Raw and JPEG and I started out doing that. Then after my first day of filling up my 32 GB memory card in half a day and then realizing I only brought down a 128 GB hard drive to store pictures I decided I was going to keep it to JPEG the rest of the way. Almost all the pictures in this report are from JPEG originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
I love nighttime at the World. The Contemporary shot is awesome. Fave shot of the Wishes bunch is the 3rd. Very nice, but again, all of them are. I can just hear the music looking at the EWP pics!

Glad you were feeling better. Narcoosee's has always interested me, but we've never made it there. Maybe next time!
Hi Missus Toad. Thank you. I am a night person and I also love nighttime in WDW. To me it is more magical at night. I have some closer pictures of the EWP coming up when we took our wishes cruise.
If you do book Narcoosee's look for a night when Wishes is no too late so you can watch. Booking slightly more than an hour before the show worked out well for us timing wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzmgailey View Post
I am still so thoroughly enjoying your pics & report!

I just told DH that next time we go, we are staying in MK until 1/2 an hour past closing so he can take an empty Main Street nighttime pic with me peeking into the shot! He actually laughed...
Hi jjzmgailey. Good to hear from you again and Thank you for your comments. Depending on the night and closing time it may take more than 30 min for an empty Main St. It is nice when the park empties out though if you can see it. I hope you and DH can experience it. I wish my family is able to stay up later to experience it with me but they are still young. Someday we well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diputs View Post
I just quickly scanned your trip report and noticed the camera gear.

I am planning a solo 7 day trip to Disney specifically to take photos, and I was hoping I could get your experiences lugging all the equipment around, how many pictures you took, backup of photos, battery charging, etc...

Should I read your blog a lot closer, are the answers there?

Thanks,

Heath
Hi Heath. I am used to carrying around my equipment so it is not that bad for me but others have picked up my camera bag and can't believe I lug all that weight around all day. I have not been as good about exercising this year so I just think of it as adding to my exercise program :-) I can say that some nights when I went off with just my main camera body and a couple lenses my back and shoulders were very grateful.

I took over 9000 pictures in our 12 day trip and a few of those days were very light due to other plans. I had my laptop for work but I kept my photo files on a separate passport drive. As you can see from above though I did not have enough space for storing RAW files so I kept it to JPEG. JPEG is fine for me most of the time anyway. I did not back up files while I was down there. If was probably risky but I did not have storage space for it. My drive can use recordable DVDs. Next time I will probably bring some and back up there also. As far as batteries. I have only 2 for my main body and that was plenty. The battery life is quite good for the canon's. I would never go through both in one day. I would usually use up one and then go a little in to the second and at night would charge up the one that was depleted.

I think that covers your questions but certainly let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdisneymommy View Post
Love your TR and all your photos!!! I love that you've captured in detail all the things that we've all seen a thousand times but haven't taken the time to soak in. Thanks for sharing!
Hello dallasdisneymommy. Thank you very much. I love the fact that each time I go to WDW I see new things that I never noticed before. It is just one of the many reasons why we keep going back there but don't feel compelled to revisit other vacation spots even if we had a great time. We like to experience new things and I am not sure we will ever get to a point when we have seen it all in WDW.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #85
Missus Toad

*gentle nudge*

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #86
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - 9/2 - Some RNR (part 1)

Let me warn you in advance that this day is going to be somewhat ho hum. After 6 days of pounding countless miles of pavement in the heat and rinse cycles of the late Summer Florida washer/dryer I thought that I should schedule a day with a bit of a break. Now with the additional onslaught of some colds it seemed even more in order. One other reason I had no plans in the AM was that my BIL's sister and husband were arriving this day and BIL and family wanted to stay around Pop for their arrival. They kept it a secret from their kids that their Aunt and Uncle were joining us on the trip so they were going to surprise their kids when they got there. So, try to stay with me and we'll make it through this day together until we get into more exciting activities. I did make dinner plans at 6:30 for everyone at Chef Mickey's and afterwards I was treating everyone to a Wishes Cruise so there is something to look forward to. We have never done one of these cruises before and I figured that if I was going to plan one that I would hold off until our new party members arrived and it would be a good way to kick off their trip. I also figured that before we headed over to dine with the Fab Five that my family could spend a little time in one of the parks in the afternoon.

Unfortunately I had a lot of work to get done so my morning was not really spent lounging around the resort. Just so you don't think I am a complete lost cause (though it may be far too late for that), this is my last day performing work on this vacation until the flight home. I plan to drop you all off before we head to the airport so you will not need to cringe at reading about me working anymore on this trip report after today. My kids headed over to their cousins room to play while I logged in. I finished up what I needed to a little after 12:00 and then it was time to think about lunch. My wife had been talking with her sister and they wanted to get some lunches from Pepper Market and bring it back to Pop. My wife really likes this place but I have mixed feelings on it. I think the selections are great considering this is a CS place but the whole set up can be frustrating for me. It does not seem to be controlled very well when you are putting in your food orders. You have to go to different stations depending on what you want and the food is made to order which is great but it takes longer. So, if you want items from multiple stations and you don't want to wait an hour to get all your food you would place an order at one station then get on line to place your order on the second, etc. and then try to collect the orders after they are done. I have had instances where I get back and someone else has taken my order and I end up waiting that much longer. There has got to be a better way. Can't they give you a number or something and you can make sure order #16 is yours. I don't know but it would be nice if it was more organized. Anyway, I was willing to go along with the others and I served my role as chauffeur for my wife and BIL to Coronado Springs resort while SIL stayed back to watch the kids back at Pop.

It turned out that Pepper Market was empty for lunch this day so it was not a traumatic experience to get the food. I ordered a steak as well as an order of ribs from the grill station and then went over and ordered a chicken pasta dish from the Italian station. I thankfully got my orders without incident. My wife handled the rest including drinks and desserts. I am not quite sure what my BIL ordered but whatever it was it sure took a while. Eventually we got everyone together and made our way back.

When we got back we found that our new trip members had already arrived and were in my SIL's room. Apparently the kids were somewhat ambivalent to the surprise and they did not receive the reaction they had anticipated from their niece and nephew. Don't you just hate it when you build up something in your mind during months of planning and then when the time comes it falls flat? They were good natured about it though and were joking about it when we got there. Anyway, they were not staying for lunch so they headed out to explore and we would catch up at dinner. Once they left we could get to business on our lunch that was getting colder and colder by the minute. We sat around and divided our food amongst ourselves and ate. After lunch I headed back to room and Surfed around on the internet for a while and organized pictures from the trip. ZZZZZZZZZ. Wha, oh sorry. I think I was falling asleep from this chapter of my report. I better get to some action soon.

At about 3PM I started to get restless. I can't just sit around all day. Even though I was still not feeling 100% I wanted to get out and do something. I am definitely not one that likes to lounge around on vacation. I can sit around all I want when I get home. Look at all that I have written so far this day and I still have no photos to share. That is just unacceptable. This trip report is supposed to be more about pictures than my drivel.

We eventually decided that my family would head to MK for a while. Since we were headed to Check Mickeys for a 6:30 ADR and we did not have a lot of time at this point, MK seemed the most feasible park for a quick fix. We actually did not get in the park until about 4:30 so we only had about and hour and a half. I gave my son the choice on what he wanted to do and he did not surprise me. Buzz is his favorite in the park so off we went to Tomorrowland. My wife wanted to hit the Laugh Factory first though so we stopped in for some laughs first. After I got some redemption from Buzz we made our way over to Small World since we missed it on our previous MK day. Finally I have some pics to show you for today.

After we got off I stared across the way at the Peter Pan ride and it glared back at me and I heard "you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" Oh let me tell you it was tough to restrain myself. Unfortunately the standby line was too long and we could not wait that long and still make it to Chef Mickey's on time so I had to regretfully turn away from the ride and keep walking. I think I heard "That's right walk away.... A man's got to know his limitations." I paused, scratched my head wondering what's up with these Clint Eastwood references but then continued on my way. This confrontation will wait for another day.

We made it to the spot where my favorite ride as a kid once stood. That would be Mr Toads Wild Ride. It was a sad day when I learned it was to be no more. We only made it to Disney World twice when I was a kid and this ride made the biggest impression on me for some reason. Anyway, Pooh is there now and is not a bad ride and the wait time was reasonable so we decided we would hit this before we left. I already showed some pics from this on our first MK day. Here are a few different ones from this day.

Once we got out from the ride it was now 5:50 and we had to make a quick departure from the park to get to our 6:30 ADR. We still got there a little early and checked in. The rest of our party was on their way and shortly after met up with us.

I have always enjoyed Chef Mickeys in the past. We have been there every trip and it is on our must do list. This must be the case for others as well since this is one of the tougher ADRs to get. This trip I was not feeling it as much. The character interaction, as always, was great and you get to see all the heavy hitters here. The food did not seem as good to me. Like our Grand Gathering Safari Buffet it was not bad food but it was nothing to write home about either. Here are some pics from Dinner.

I will post the cruise later tonight in my next post...

Last edited by clearskies; 11-11-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #87
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
*gentle nudge*
Hi Missus Toad,
I was just posting as you did
(bit I still need the nudging once in a while)

Last edited by clearskies; 11-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #88
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 7 - 9/3 - Some RNR (part 2)

I had to leave Dinner a little early to check in for our Wishes cruise. So I left my wife to handle the bill and made my way down to the marina. They will pick you up at any of the MK resorts you want that are on the water for this cruise. They asked that you check in at 8:00 PM at the marina. I got there an no one was to be found but I did have the joy to see that it was now raining. There are 2 nights I was praying we would not get rain this trip and this was one of them. The other night is our MNSSHP party night. Great, so I was hoping this will be one of those quick moving rain storms that are prevalent in Fla but then I calculated the odds based on how my luck runs and then determined it was unlikely to stop. After standing with the rain beating down on me for 15 min eventually 2 boats pulled in and the captains came out looking for their parties. Our captain was named Badru and he was very nice. He asked if I wanted to handle payment beforehand to which I agreed but then as he is calling in my credit card data I am at a quandary. What the heck do I do about tipping Badru now? Do I wait until later but he may think he is getting stiffed. Do I give it to him now but what if this is a bust and we get rained out. I don't know if they refund the boat but I can't ask for a tip back. In the end I decided to just give the tip now and get it out of the way.

The rain was getting steadier but not hard enough to think that wishes would be canceled and no lightning so we took off to make our way to the MK across the lagoon. Some of the boat was covered but not enough to keep all 10 of us out of the rain. So Badru put some towels down in the front section which was uncovered and I sat there with 4 others with our trusty ponchos shielding us from the rain. We toured the Lagoon on our way to the viewing spot and Badru showed us some interesting things such as an small island chock full of sleeping birds and he also described a water bridge we went over where the road tunneled beneath us. We eventually settled into a great spot in front and waited a short time for the show to start. I booked the Premium cruise so there was music once Wishes started. The boat also had snacks and sodas but we were too full to eat them. Let me warn you that though this is a great way to view Wishes it is not optimal to photograph wishes. Being in a boat that moves around a lot is not the best strategy to go about photographing fireworks. Fireworks are usually best with a slower shutter speed but you can't really get away with that as you are bobbing in the water unless you get enjoyment from blurry pictures. A tripod does you no good here so I did not even bring it along. So, I did the best I could given the conditions but these are not as good as if I would have been on terra firma.

The rain never let up. Even though we sat for the entire show with rain beating down on us our ponchos did the trick to keep us mostly dry. Everyone thought it was a great experience. Of course it would have been nicer without the rain but not even Disney can control the weather (yet). After wishes we had a great view of the Electric Water Pageant.

After the entertainment was done I asked if we could be dropped off at MK since we needed to head back there anyway to catch our bus. If the weather was nicer It would be good to take our time touring back to the Contemporary but given the conditions a quicker return trip seemed in order. Unfortunately, dropping us off at MK was not possible so we went for the next best thing and got dropped off at the GF. From There it is one stop on the monorail to MK. Thus we made our way back to the resort without anything notable occurring and so ends our less eventful day. Thank you for sticking with it. For Day 8 we will be back to a full force attack on the Parks and I will have more to show. This will be our EPCOT all day assault.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #89
Missus Toad

Boat or not, those are some sweet Wishes and EWP pics! Well done! And I'm so glad both the cruise and Wishes went off as scheduled.

Nice try with the surprise. Sometimes kids just aren't as excitable as we give them credit for! Glad no one's feelings were hurt-- a sense of humor definitely helps.

I'm always hearing about Pepper Market problems. I wonder why they don't fix it.

Love the Small World shots, especially Cleopatra and the hippo.

I too have mixed feelings about Chef Mickey's. Another place that's hit or miss for us, although we tend to go for breakfast. Great shots of the gang though. The Minnie one especially jumps out at me.

Looking forward to more-- I will try to be patient.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #90
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I think your pictures from the Wishes cruise turned out really good! What a great view!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: