Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #136
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

Peeking out from under the weather to say how much I love your parade shots, both with and without flash. Amazing how the tone changes with/without. Gorgeous!

Your kids sound like mine with the candy-- more hoarders than eaters.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #137
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have been delinquent on this TR. It has been an awful week at work. I am actually on vacation today but working most of the day. Anyway I have a short update to post but first some replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Sounds like an awesome night, despite missing the Headless Horseman. I really want to do the MNSSHP party, and I'm pretty sure you've convinced me to add the MVMCP to this coming trip!
Our whole traveling clan truly enjoyed MNSSHP. I'll hopefully be able to attend the party on a future trip and will catch that Headless Horseman then. I am envious that you are heading down to see the Christmas decorations. I have never seen them but I would love to some day. I have no experience on MVMCP so I can't say whether it is good but I hope for your sake that you have a great time if you attend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
Peeking out from under the weather to say how much I love your parade shots, both with and without flash. Amazing how the tone changes with/without. Gorgeous!
I am sorry to hear you were under the weather Missus Toad. I hope you are feeling better. I usually prefer to have no flash and it sure does make a difference. The lighting was not good enough though to keep it off and capture everything I wanted to. I was good to get a chance to do both.

Quote:
Your kids sound like mine with the candy-- more hoarders than eaters.
Oh yes, they are definitely like yours in that respect. I have no problems with this. I can't say I had the same discipline when I was younger. I would usually overdo it on the holidays and then feel awful after the fact.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #138
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 10 – Sat 9/5 - A day away

Sorry but this is going to be a very uneventful day for you. Remember way back on Day 2 when I said there were 2 days in our trip where I would be spending time away from the Mouse. Well, we have arrived at the second such day. So, I don't have a heck of a lot to write about that will interest you for Day10. Today my SIL's family is checking out of the resort and both our families are driving up to Gainesville to visit some family. We won't be headed back to Pop until late at night and my SIL's family will be spending the night in Gainesville and then hitting the road for home the next day.

We had some time on our hands in the AM since we were not heading out until after lunch. It was good to let the kids sleep in since we just had a long and eventful night out with MNSSHP. SIL and BIL spent a fair amount of the AM packing all their things up for check out. I do not recommend that anyone who is not leaving but are approaching the end of their own trip spends too much time witnessing the departure of others. Watching them pack up and load the car caused the depression of the impending reality of our own doom to now hang over us. We only had one more full day of WDW entertainment left ourselves on Sunday and then the bell will be tolling for us as well. How does the time go so quickly when you are there? When you are first arriving and you see people leaving it is no big deal. You are thinking, "Shucks, too bad for you but we have plenty of fun ahead for us". Near the end of the trip this attitude changes dramatically to "oh no, you pour souls, that's soon to be us". Unfortunately with thoughts of heading back home came some extra baggage to me that I was going to have to face a tough week of work when I got back. The very next day after returning I was going to have to hop back on a plane and fly across the country for a set of meetings on the West Coast and I was not looking forward to it. I had our Disney vacation booked well before this business trip came up and had I known I would probably have cut the vacation short a day or two earlier just to give myself time to decompress at home before getting on a plane again. My Wife was also partially ready to go as well at this point since she had many things to do to get ready for the start of school. Don't get me wrong, we absolutely love our Disney time but now that the dread of the real world that was waiting to clutch hold of us again was looming heavily down on us, we started to think it may have been good to be heading out ourselves this day. Ugh, see how dangerous it is to your vacation psyche to watch people leaving as your time is drawing near. What the heck are we talking about? We still have a full day in the parks and Hoop De Doo Review coming. We can still shake this off and get ourselves back into vacation mode for one more day.

After the kids were up and SIL's car was packed they were not quite ready to hit the road yet. My BIL had promised their kids some arcade time and we had not checked that activity off the list yet. This is something I would not usually spend time with on vacation but this was a lost day anyway so I was 'game'. I spend most of the time reading though while the kids went off playing.

After getting some arcade time in we hit the road but we were going to stop for lunch first. Everyone else wanted to go to Pepper Market. I was not as keen on it but led the way over. This time I am sure they messed up one of our orders and it took me forever to get all the food. It was a lot more crowded given that it was a Sat on Labor Day weekend and they changed shifts with the cooks at one of the food stations after our order had been placed and I am pretty sure things got all mixed up as a result.

After lunch my SIL went to the gift store to cash in on her remaining snack credits. Since we had a ridiculous number of snack credits left ourselves (somewhere in the order of 30 snack credits for our family), my wife used a most of our credits up in the gift store as well to give loads of snacks to her sister to take back home. There was no way we were taking all that on a plane. Since they drove it was easier for them to schlep all this back.

Here is a pic of Panchito's (the gift store)

While they were emptying out the store I took a walk around the grounds get a better look at CSR. I figured we may need to stay here one trip since my wife likes the Pepper Market so much. It was very nice but boy it seemed spread out. I only took a couple of pics.

I am not going to go subject you to the rest of the day away from Disney. We had a very nice visit though. I am going to fast forward to late at night when we were returning back to Pop. This is where something scary happened for us. After the long drive back as we were getting close to the resort my son really had to hit the bathroom. We pulled into the lot at Pop that was the closest distance to our building and since it was late there were no spots open where I usually parked. My son asked if he could be left off while I looked for a spot to parked the car so that he could head to the room. I was reluctant and asked if he was sure he knew where he was going and to go straight to the room. He is 11 now so getting to a stage of more independence but I still have problems always accepting that. He assured us that he knew where to go so I gave in and handed him the room key. I parked and carried my daughter (who was sleeping) back the room with my wife by my side. When we got to the room and opened the door there was no one to be found. Immediately adrenaline kicks in and our parental alarms are blaring. I put my still sleeping daughter down into her bed and my wife and I proceed to run around like maniacs trying to locate our son. This seemed to go on for what seemed to be forever and the longer this goes on the more and more awful thoughts are popping into my head. Let me tell you, I can do a pretty darn good job with my imagination running rampant when stressful times arise. I headed back to the room to see if he was there and he was not but my daughter was now awake and worried about what was going on. So then I grabbed her and ran around some more like a madman with her in my arms. At least I was getting a lot of good exercise in. Eventually my wife came walking up with him and a wave of relief came over me. Here is what happened. When we let him out he thought he went to the right bowling pin building but he was one building short of where we were. They all do look the same, especially late at night. Since we always took the bus and not the car this trip we were coming from a different direction than what he was used to and he got confused. He kept trying to get into the room in the other building but could not get in with the key. Eventually one of the occupants opened up the door and told him this was not his room. We must have timed our running around oh so perfectly so that we just missed where he had been. He was making his way to the front to come from the direction that we usually traversed from the lobby when my wife found him. Nothing like a tremendous amount of stress before you head off to sleep!

OK, that's our day 10. Sorry I did not have too much to show. Coming up is our last full day (snif snif).
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #139
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

How scary! Glad your son was ok. That was pretty smart for him to go to the front of the resort and find his way.

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #140
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

Lovin' your report and pictures! Can I ask - you mentioned on the previous post that you "turned the flash off" when shooting the nighttime parade. You did a great job on balancing flash with ambient, so that leads me to ask - did you use the built-in flash, or a speedlight? And if a speedlight, did you dial it back? We only go to WDW every 3-5 years - so I have to get it right first try!!
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #141
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
How scary! Glad your son was ok. That was pretty smart for him to go to the front of the resort and find his way.
My goodness I was frantic. There are a lot of things we could have done better to prevent this. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
Lovin' your report and pictures! Can I ask - you mentioned on the previous post that you "turned the flash off" when shooting the nighttime parade. You did a great job on balancing flash with ambient, so that leads me to ask - did you use the built-in flash, or a speedlight? And if a speedlight, did you dial it back? We only go to WDW every 3-5 years - so I have to get it right first try!!
Hi Lizzijane. I have a Canon 580EX flash. However, I did not use any flash for the Spectro parade and I don't think the outcome would be that good with a flash. For this parade I bump my ISO up high and I use a 2.8 aperture lens (24-70). I have a lens with a larger aperture but it is a fixed 50mm lens and I prefer to be able to zoom with my 24-70 lens. Since there is enough light to get away with this when I have the ISO bumped up I can still get a fast enough shutter speed and get a good outcome. This trip I had a better camera for bumping up the ISO but in my prior trip I was limited to ISO 1600 and I still got good results with my 2.8 lens. Note that I also use noise reduction software when I am home processing the pictures. Yikes, I hope I am not getting overly technical on this. Please let me know if you want me to explain any of this further.

For the MNSSHP parade I did use a flash because it is a completely different kind of parade than Spectro. For Boo to You my intent was more on capturing the characters and for the most part they were not lit up that well. For the flash shots I took here I don't believe I did any Flash Exposure Compensation. I don't have a heck of a lot of knowledge and experience with Flash Photography so I can't take any credit for good results here. I basically turned on the flash and fired away.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #142
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
My goodness I was frantic. There are a lot of things we could have done better to prevent this. Lesson learned.

Hi Lizzijane. I have a Canon 580EX flash. However, I did not use any flash for the Spectro parade and I don't think the outcome would be that good with a flash. For this parade I bump my ISO up high and I use a 2.8 aperture lens (24-70). I have a lens with a larger aperture but it is a fixed 50mm lens and I prefer to be able to zoom with my 24-70 lens. Since there is enough light to get away with this when I have the ISO bumped up I can still get a fast enough shutter speed and get a good outcome. This trip I had a better camera for bumping up the ISO but in my prior trip I was limited to ISO 1600 and I still got good results with my 2.8 lens. Note that I also use noise reduction software when I am home processing the pictures. Yikes, I hope I am not getting overly technical on this. Please let me know if you want me to explain any of this further.

For the MNSSHP parade I did use a flash because it is a completely different kind of parade than Spectro. For Boo to You my intent was more on capturing the characters and for the most part they were not lit up that well. For the flash shots I took here I don't believe I did any Flash Exposure Compensation. I don't have a heck of a lot of knowledge and experience with Flash Photography so I can't take any credit for good results here. I basically turned on the flash and fired away.

Hopefully this helps.
Thank you for the info. I recently posted a thread on the photography board about whether to use the 24-70 2.8 or the 50 1.4 for Spectro so you answered my question perfectly! And I know what you mean about flash - I've taken 3 seminars on it, and I still basically put it on the camera, angle it a bit, dial it back about one stop, and hope like heck the results are ok!

I am SO excited for next month as this will be my first trip with some decent camera gear. Your TR is making the anticipation even better!
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #143
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

First, OMG!!! Scary losing a kid like that, especially at night, and in such a big place! I know that feeling all too well, and it is awful. Oh and then carrying around the little one, what a challenge in the midst of such frenzy! Nightmare. Glad it got sorted out fairly quickly, but I'm sure at the time it seemed like hours.

Anyway, love the dig site pic. I do want to visit CSR sometime, although I did get the impression that it's a pretty vast territory.

Don't you hate that approaching-the-end-of-vacation feeling? And I can't help but feel jealous of everyone checking in just as I'm trying to put thoughts of vacation's end out of my head. Too bad you had some heavy work to look forward to on top of that.

Looking forward to Hoop-dee-doo!! We love that show so much. Hope you took lots of pics I can show my son, who is a superfan!

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #144
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

Your report is absolutely wonderful- and your pictures are spellbinding
I can't wait to read more

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #145
norybell
DIS Veteran

How scary, to not have been able to find your son! I'm so glad it all worked out ok.

So, after a few weeks away from the boards, I'm catching up on all my TR reading. Of course I always go way too far back in the TR, to figure out where I left off. And I realized I missed this somehow at the time:
Quote:
Thank you Nory Always good to hear from a fellow Illuminations lover.
For those of you who want to read an entertaining Trip Report you should check out Nory's TR in her signature. It is a lot of fun.
Thank you so much for the shout-out! Sorry the thanks are so belated!

Quote:
I love this photo. Their expressions are amazing; talk about staying in character!
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #146
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
Thank you for the info. I recently posted a thread on the photography board about whether to use the 24-70 2.8 or the 50 1.4 for Spectro so you answered my question perfectly! And I know what you mean about flash - I've taken 3 seminars on it, and I still basically put it on the camera, angle it a bit, dial it back about one stop, and hope like heck the results are ok!

I am SO excited for next month as this will be my first trip with some decent camera gear. Your TR is making the anticipation even better!
I am glad to help Lizziejane. I went back to look at pics I took in 2007 with ISO 1600 and the 24-70 lens and the shutter speed was usually coming in at 1/100s or faster so I think you should hopefully be fine with this lens. I don't think you need to limit your focal length and DOF with the 50 1.4. Save that for the dark rides. I hope you get some great shots on your upcoming trip!

Quote:
First, OMG!!! Scary losing a kid like that, especially at night, and in such a big place! I know that feeling all too well, and it is awful. Oh and then carrying around the little one, what a challenge in the midst of such frenzy! Nightmare. Glad it got sorted out fairly quickly, but I'm sure at the time it seemed like hours.
Hi Missus Toad. Yes, it was fortunate we sorted it out somewhat quick but you are right, when you are a worried parent time seems to last a lot longer.

Quote:
Anyway, love the dig site pic. I do want to visit CSR sometime, although I did get the impression that it's a pretty vast territory.
Oh boy CSR is bigger and more spread out than I thought. The grounds were nice though but unless I thought I would get a room that is not too far from the main building I may be reluctant to stay there.

Quote:
Don't you hate that approaching-the-end-of-vacation feeling? And I can't help but feel jealous of everyone checking in just as I'm trying to put thoughts of vacation's end out of my head. Too bad you had some heavy work to look forward to on top of that.

Looking forward to Hoop-dee-doo!! We love that show so much. Hope you took lots of pics I can show my son, who is a superfan!
[/QUOTE]
I suppose the end of the vacation would not be as painful if we did not enjoy our vacation time at Disney so much. Hopefully that part does not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJay View Post
Your report is absolutely wonderful- and your pictures are spellbinding
I can't wait to read more
Thank you so much GingerJay and Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
How scary, to not have been able to find your son! I'm so glad it all worked out ok.

So, after a few weeks away from the boards, I'm catching up on all my TR reading. Of course I always go way too far back in the TR, to figure out where I left off. And I realized I missed this somehow at the time:

Thank you so much for the shout-out! Sorry the thanks are so belated!
Hi Nory! Please, no need to apologize. I am fully aware of what it is like to be busy (unfortunately). I barely have enough time to tend to this TR myself let alone read others these days. I am very much behind in a lot myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
I love this photo. Their expressions are amazing; talk about staying in character!
We loved these guys!! This was at the very end of the parade route and everyone was still putting on a great show. Not just the grave diggers but everyone else in the parade as well. They must get exhausted by the end of the route but they didn't show it.

Last edited by clearskies; 12-06-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #147
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 11 – Sun 9/6 - A final fling (part 1)

Sorry for the absence. I have been having an awful week having to work until 1-2AM each night. I need to get this TR wrapped up so I am going to get our last full day whipped out so here we go...

Unfortunately, we have arrived at the last full day or our saga. We have a late afternoon flight the next day so we will have some time in the AM but we were not sure yet if we were going to attempt to go anywhere. For today, I left it open as a wild card day to give my family a choice to make our way over to anything that we had missed but still wanted catch before we parted ways with our favorite vacation destination. The only set plans I had for the day was a 7:15PM Hoop Dee Doo Review reservation later in the evening. We have never seen this show before but based on so many stellar reviews I figured this would be an outstanding finale to cap off our trip. For our daytime entertainment we were considering hitting Typhoon Lagoon due to our missed opportunity earlier in the week but since We still had 2 days left on our park tickets and I am too darned frugal to waste these days and our water park tickets were from old non-expiring tickets we felt compelled to use up our main park tickets and we would catch Typhoon Lagoon on a future trip. It's always good to have some new experiences planned for future trips anyway. So now the question remained which main park do we go to? The family was undecided and then to my utter surprise I suggested DHS for the AM. Even though the park captivates me the least, we had spent the least amount of time there and I figured we could make our way over to one of the non-headliner attractions there that my wife and son have really enjoyed in the past. This would be in the animation building where you get an opportunity to draw along with an animator and sketch one of the characters. I can't draw worth a lick but even someone with my wretched abilities can get passable results if you follow along with the animator. I was a bit worried that it was a Fantasmic day at DHS with an added special added bonus of being the Sunday of Labor day weekend so I figured there would be some ugliness with the crowd levels but we were just going to stay until lunch time and then make our way to another park so I was hoping it would be bearable.

We did not rush along in the AM. We grabbed some breakfast at Everything Pop before heading to DHS. It wasn't until late morning that we were strolling into the park. As we were making our way in, my wife and kids wanted to give TSMM a look first just to see if the wait was horrific. My son had been looking for this guy so we had to stop for a photo op with him first.

Disney has so many intricate and impressive costumes. This is not one of them. What is going on with this? It looks like someone got a big roll of green cheesecloth and made some clothing out of it, wrapped it around a helmet and then covered the poor souls face. Actually, it looks a bit like an old tablecloth we once had when I was growing up. The poor guy inside this must cook in the sun. Mr. Green Army Man, whoever you are, I salute you for the service you are providing to our vacationing masses.

Ok, back to TSMM. The standby time was only 50 min. Ha, it is certainly is odd to put the word "only" as a qualifier to "50 min" for an but I expected worse at about 11:00 AM for the current biggest draw on property on a day that I thought would be a zoo. I was still not sure I wanted to sign up for the wait and I can't remember the last time I waited on a line that long at Disney since the wonders of Fast Pass. The rest of the family really wanted to take one last ride and the FP return time was too late for us so I gave in and we hopped in line. Unfortunately, this time the wait was longer than advertised and we spent about 20 min longer on this line than what they led us to believe. This may have been the only time on the trip though that we had a wait time noticeably longer than what was posted. Actually, most of the times the wait times were shorter than advertised so I guess I couldn't gripe too much about it. What I can complain about however is that this darned attraction definitely favors my wife over me. It can't have anything to do with my pitiful abilities so it must be that the ride had something against me and is rigged to give my wife higher scores than me. I can see no other explanation for being trounced so thoroughly time after time. This time I changed strategies from pulling the string like an utter madman to being more selective and focusing on the higher point targets. Perhaps that strategy works better if you can actually aim correctly.
It was not working for me.

After TSMM we hit the animation studio. I thought when we had done this in the past that you had to go through the whole "Magic of Disney Animation" spiel first before you go into the drawing with an animator part. So, we went in line outside and then sat through the same old preso with Mushu that we have seen a couple of times before. This show is definitely losing any entertainment value it may have once had for us. They should revamp this. Anyway once this ended I thought we would go to the next stage which was why we were here and that is the drawing. Instead though, that was the end of the attraction and we were put out into the rest of the building. What the heck? We sat thought this tired old Mushu preso when we did not need to? Ugh, why didn't I know this? We'll definitely know better the next time. There was a separate line inside for the drawing sessions. Before we got on that line though we had to go see the character from Up. We had really enjoyed this movie even though my daughter had tears in her eyes from the loss that it deals with (very nicely I might add). This may very well be the most touching Disney movie I have seen yet. We could not pass up the opportunity to meet Carl, Dug and Russell.

Once we were done with our character greeting we made our way over to finally get our drawing lesson in. The character chosen for us was Goofy. After the session my daughter asked the animator for his drawing and he nicely signed it and gave it to her. I thought my picture was passable until I compared it to the animator's drawing.

When we got done drawing it was about 2PM and we had not eaten lunch yet. I was so hoping to be out of DHS by lunch time so that we could catch a better CS place. At this stage though we were hungry and it would take too long to make our way to better places so we headed to ABC again. This time I wanted something different though so I headed to Studio Catering while the family waited on line at ABC. Holy cow, there were a lot of people milling around the streets of America. Perhaps LMA had just let out. Unfortunately, a lot of these people ended up in front of me in the food line as well so it took a while to get the food. I eventually got the chicken with black beans and rice and brought it back to ABC to re-join with the family. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the food from Studio catering. It was pretty good so it was worth the extra trip there.

After lunch we wanted to go to spend some time at EPCOT. When we got in, I was going to take the kids to Test Track but the kids had somewhere else on their mind. I don't need to ask you to guess this time. That's right it was time for one more go with their new favorite swine. Haven't we had enough of them yet? Apparently not. Ok, so I run over to TT to get a FP anyway and say I'll met up with them at Innoventions. When I got to TT though I found that the return time was too late for us in order to make our way over to Fort Wilderness later. I guess the crowds were big everywhere today. Perhaps it is a good thing the kids are captivated by the piggies who have a small but faithful following.

After we got the kids their fix of their new favorite EPCOT attraction we explored Innoventions some more. There was an attraction sponsored by IBM where you created avatars of yourselves that became introduced into a video game as the characters. Seeing ourselves running and jumping around in a video game was good for a few laughs but the actual game play of the video game was so simplistic that it did not hold our interest too long.

We then decided to make our way over to Innoventions East. There was a storm Struck attraction that seems like it would be interesting. It is a 3D attraction where you experience an intense storm and the damage it can do to a house and you are quizzed on ways to limit the damage. Seeing a killer storm in 3D seemed like it would be pretty cool. Well, let me tell you that this could quite possibly be the biggest waste of a 3D attraction that I have seen yet. The 3D effects were truly unspectacular and I am not entirely sure why they bothered with it. The actual information part of the attraction was ok but I was hoping for more on the presentation on this one.

After exploring Innoventions East a bit more we decided to head on over to Fort Wilderness for the Hoop. I gave the family a choice of Monorail to MK and then boat across or take the bus directly over. I thought for sure the Monorail/boat route would be the preferred mode of transportation but I was wrong. The bus was definitely the quicker route but certainly not as interesting as the other choice. Since the clouds were getting iffy though I could not argue with the choice.

Once we got to Fort Wilderness we did have time to spare and unfortunately the clouds opened up on us as soon as we reached the resort. so perhaps it was a good thing we went by bus instead of boat. We killed some time pin shopping and buying a few things in the gift store before the show to keep out of the rain until the dinner call at Pioneer Hall. I was curious how good the view would be since we had cat 2 seats. It turned out we had an awesome table!! Our table was in the third row of tables from the stage and the first table on the left. I was thrilled the table was this good for cat 2 seating. Even though it was on the left side we could see everything. This will give you an idea of our view.

The show started with the Hoop Dee Do title song and I thought, hey that’s the Wiggles song. Of course the Wiggles took it from this show but I never made the connection before. Since we had the Wiggles Hoop Dee Do DVD and my kids had once loved the Wiggles I think I have heard this song a couple hundred times before.

Before talking about the show let me give a few words on the food. The fried chicken was incredibly good. I think this may have been the best fried chicken I have ever tasted eating out. OK, I can’t say I actually eat a lot of fried chicken when dining out so I don't have too much to compare it to. When I am eating out for Fried chicken it is usually at a place that has a drive through and serves it the food with plastic spork utensils so I am not likely to eat fried chicken at a "real" restaurant. Be that as it may, the chicken at the Hoop was outstanding. I prefer white meat and it was not at all dry. The ribs were also very good and the chef made me a special order without sauce. Overall the food was not fancy but I give it high marks for being very tasty.

Now for the show, it was indeed quite entertaining but once again I was bitten a little by high expectations. The show was indeed a lot of fun but I was thinking I would be rolling on the floor from start to finish based on reviews I had read and that was not the case. I have got to stop setting such high expectations on things based on reviews. My Wife was in the same mindset as me. We still enjoyed it though and my kids especially had a fabulous time with the show. If you like simple but good tasting food and you get a kick out of corny but fun entertainment then it is a winner. I have a lot of pictures from the show.

continued in next post.....
Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #148
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 11 – Sun 9/6 - A final fling (part 2)

It was after 9PM when the show ended and instead of heading back to the resort I wanted to head over to MK which was having evening EMH to see if I could get one last chance at the elusive wishes pics. It was about 9:15 though and we needed to take the boat across so I figured it would be cutting it close to get a good spot. On the boat ride over the rest of the family was definitely losing steam so they decided they would just head back to Pop when we got across to MK. Once we docked we said our goodnights and we headed our separate ways.

Once I got in to Main Street I knew there would be problems. Holey Moley, it was packed!! Ugh. I am not sure how I will manage to get set up to take pictures at this point. I decided to head down Main Street to try to find a spot anyway. The CMs were keeping a good part or Main Street open for traffic and there was really no space to set up a tripod anywhere. The CMs said that about 5min before the show they would let people move into some of the space they were keeping open. So I decided to wait off to the side and then try to grab a spot. Then I saw the CM that we were talking to on the night of the Spectro incident earlier in the trip when the CM had a seizure. I figured my son would really want to know how he was doing so I walked over and asked if she can let me know if the CM was Ok. She said he was doing very well and was returning to work. I let her know that this was relief and my son will be very glad to hear this. She talked a bit more to me and then says "do you want a great spot to shoot Fireworks." Um, you kidding, you bet I do. She then leads me to a spot near the center of Main Street with a very good view. They are still are keeping a lane open but I am on the edge so hopefully will have a clear shot once the show starts. This turned out to be only somewhat true. There were people ahead of me on the right and a family in front had a teenage daughter kept drifting back and forth in front of my camera. I did get some better results though than previously, Here are results from my final attempt.

After the show ended I decided to stay around and savor my last night. So I spent some time walking around to take in the park on last time. When in Fantasyland I decided that I am going to give one last go at my nemesis so I grabbed a Fast Pass for a final confrontation. While waiting I walked around a bit more and took some pictures with my tripod.

The time for the final duel came and I was not as confident as before but I was determined to come away from something. I was not so sure I was going to be able to focus manually quick enough to get any good pics but I was sure going to try. Before getting on I checked what I thought was all my camera settings. Well, all but one very important setting got set correctly. Now I am going to fill you in on what a colossal nitwit I really am. I got moving on the ride and we hit the bedroom scene and I was pressing the shutter and nothing was happening and then later a shot fires off. Huh, what the heck is going on? So rather than using my brain I kept pressing and the camera shutter expecting different behavior but is was not responding. A more intelligent person may have figured this out sooner but unfortunately I don't fall into that category.Eventually It got through my thick skull that I was shooting with a remote on my tripod before the ride and that my camera was in a delayed shutter mode. Ug, I wish I was making this up but no I am indeed that foolish. So, one last time the ride spit me out at the end amidst great sounds of laughter and I heard "That was the best entertainment I've had in a long time....listen if you want to see how someone who knows what they are doing can photograph me then go find Todd H". I am thinking who in the bloody H is Todd H.

So, after returning I came across this TR on our boards. Here is a link if you want to see someone that knows how to photograph this bloody ride.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post33191617

Oh, here is the one pic I got but it is entirely out of pure luck because when I pressed the shutter I was focusing on something else 2 seconds before.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #149
clearskies
DIS Veteran

Day 11 – Sun 9/6 - A final fling (part 3)

I couldn't leave on this note but I was not going to wait on line again for PP so I headed over to HM in search of better fortune. This go around I was very happy to get some decent shots of the ballroom scene which I had not been able to capture previously.

This next picture is probably one of the toughest things to photograph in the dark rides. If is so dark in this scene that it is incredibly tough to get a picture of the caretaker. This is certainly not a great shot but it at least is something.

Ok, after HM I could at least leave MK with some satisfaction. It was after midnight at this point and even though the park was open until 1AM for EMH I was at peace and I made my way out. I took one final pic on the way out and I said my final goodbyes to MK. We had some time in the AM tomorrow but I think we both knew this was it. It was a sad goodbye but I was grateful for the good times we had together. I then turned away and did not look back and got on the bus one last time for Pop.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #150
xenole
Mouseketeer

Some stunning photos there. I've tried night shots with a compact camera before and couldn't get anything like what you've done! Really need to spend a bit more on a decent DSLR.

Love the castle and fireworks and that picture of Ariel at Akershus is stunning

Was the wicked queen from Snow White anywhere else other than the parade? First time I've ever seen a photo of her.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: