Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
sandymandr
DIS Veteran

Free trip! Which deluxe would you choose and why??

OMG!! My sis is getting a free deluxe accomm. trip to WDW March 2010!! She has the best boss in the world!! And she is taking me WOW! Anyway, she will probably have between $8-10k to plan the trip So, we want to stay deluxe, but not sure which one. I am staying AKL in December and have never been to the others. She wants a good massage, an awesome slide and pool area for her kids (they LOVE water and slides), and I think I want a monorail resort because they seem to be so convenient. It doesn't have to be on monorail, the pool area must be fantastic, and a easily accessible spa with good masseur!! So, which would you choose and why??? What are some other features of the resort you chose?? TIA!! I am so excited, I feel like I am dreaming!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

When you say you want a fantastic pool area I immediately think of Beach Club! My dd loved the pool there so much she hardly even wanted to do the parks!

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Microcell
No, no,no, those red signs with the word STOP on them are optional if they have a white border.
I hope you like Debbie Gibson? I did not and got busted at a DECA National Convention for skipping her concert!

Looked at all of them pricing the 4/3 deal and I think the Grand Floridian is certainly the nicest on the monorail! Seems best for adults, and it seems like you aren't taking kids... ETA.. helps to read..

As far as pool with kids I have heard that all the monorail resorts have "interlopers" that come to thier pool in the middle of the day because it is close. I have heard they are cracking down on it though.

Not sure if it has a spa or not (DH and I get far to embarrassed to do something like that so I did not research that). Have fun!

We decided on Wilderness Lodge for the following reasons (we have kids so thought about them), it is a quick boat ride to MK and we are hoping the boats will be less crowded at the end of the day than the monorail. The lobby looks magficent as far as theming. We are not huge slide people but the pool has one that should be good for the kids. It has a hot tub which Poly does not have. I like the theming of Poly though..

Well I am helpful.. lol!
Microcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
cheerforchelsea
DIS Veteran

I think I would have to choose the Polynesian - don't know about the massages or the pool - I have just always wanted to stay there.
5-84 CR, 5-85 CR, 5-96 off-site, 11-98 CBR, 11-99 AS Sports, 1-00 CBR, 11-00 CBR, 11-01 CBR, 3-02 AS Music, 5-02 CBR, 11-02 CBR, 3-03 CBR, 5-03 CBR, 11-03 POR:, 3-04-CBR, 5-04 POR, 11-04 CBR, 3-05 CBR, 5-05 CBR, 7-05 CBR, 11-05 POP, 3-06 POP, 5-06 POP, 8-06 WL, 11-06 CBR, 8-07 POP, 11-07 CBR, 1-08 AKL, 5-08 POR, 6-09 POR, 5-10 POR, 11-10 CBR, 11-11 POFQ, 5-12 POP, 11-12 CSR, 6-13 CBR, 11-13 CBR, 6-14 CSR, 11-14 POR
cheerforchelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

i would go w/the beach/yacht club or boardwalk for an awesome pool area... convenience to epcot and DHS is a huge plus! (and if you have parkhoppers, walk thru epcot and grab the monorail to MK)

but, no matter where you stay, be sure to stay Club Level!!! it's the lap of luxury!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
msminnieears
Mouseketeer

I would have to choose the Grand Floridian. It has all things you are wanting. It has a full spa, waterslide for the kids, and it even has a waterfall. There is also a beach. If you choose certain rooms you can see the MK fireworks or the lagoon parade at night. They has great restaurants too. You can't go wrong!

1985-off site; 1991,1993,1995- Disney Villas; 1999- AS Movies; 2004- SSR; 2006- AS Movies; 2008- CR; 2010- POR ;March 2013 CSR; July 2014 day in MK; next trip... May 2015 Pop Century!!
msminnieears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Yacht Club or Beach Club. You have Epcot and DHS right there, plus the Boardwalk for evening entertainment. And they have the best pool on property.
They also have a spa where you can get that massage.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Grand Floridian all the way.

-It has bigger guest rooms than at the CR and most of the rooms at the Polynesian
-Although it's wonderful for children, it's also a great getaway for adults.
-You feel very pampered. Everything is so tasteful and elegant.
-The 24hr. big pool is a dream come true. It's huge!
-There are 5 restaurants on property plus 2 lounges (one is at the pool).
-You are one monorail stop away from the MK.
-With the money you have, you can reserve a room in the Royal Palm Club, which is the club level in the main building and it's just amazing. Ask for either a MK view or a lagoon view, which will give you a spectacular look at the Polynesian
-The staff is tremendous.

I could go on and on.
Read my TR for information on my stay. I should be updating it soon with pictures of the GF.

Again...GF all the way!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
sandymandr
DIS Veteran

And I always thought it would be easier to plan if I had more $$ to spend!! All the options! I have been reading all morning about all the deluxes and am more confused than ever!! I think the beach club sounds awesome for the kids since they love pools. But, is there an actual beach there? And how long is boat ride to HS? And it looks like beach club shares transportation with yacht club and dolphin/swan?? I'll have to look up the transportation times in a minute. Are the pools heated at all the resorts, I'm afraid March may still be cool for swimming!! And it will be hard to pass up AKL animals, the kids also LOVE animals. But now ya'll tell me I can watch fireworks from GF too?!?!?! I'll never be able to decide!! Which is the most expensive? Maybe that will help, because I know I will never get to stay at that one if I have to pay!
And what is club level?? I know what it is, but what are the perks?? My head is spinning!! I think I'll tell my sister what I know and tell her to make the final choice, she is much better at decisions than me!! Thanks everyone! I am so excited!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Ok,
-You can indeed watch the fireworks from the GF in several locations
-I would say that if we're looking at standard rooms, then yes, the GF is the most expensive of all the resorts.
-Club level means that you stay in a separated area of the resort where guests pay more to have food (and sometimes alcohol!) available to them in a special lounge. You also have a club level staff at your fingertips and you have the option of using a club level staff member to help you book your dining reservations and any special events well ahead of your trip. If you can afford it, it's a nice plus. I'm sure there are others who can tell you more about club level. I've stayed there (at the GF), but we were upgraded, so, though it was amazing, I didn't get to take full advantage of it.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
tony67
I always get odd looks when I put mayo on my fries
Ask for Pepe - "The Master"

If MK is the main park you will visit I would pick the monorail resorts.
I've stayed at all the monorail resorts and I would recommend the Polynesian.
I really like the theme of the place. I also think it has the second nicest concierge area of all the Disney hotels. (AKL is the best)
They do not have a spa as I recall, but you have access to the Spa at the GF.
There are also great views of the fireworks here.

I really like the rooms at the CR. Great fireworks views.
The pool is nice. Don't know about the Spa.
Did not like the Concierge Level at all.

I found the rooms at the GF to be nothing special.
They remind me of a courtyard by Marriott. They common areas are very nice.
Don't remember anything about the pool and the Spa is meant to be very nice.
I did not return to try concierge here.

I also really like the boardwalk\Epcot area.
It's great to be able to walk to Epcot, Boardwalk and DHS, but the buses to MK and others is a hassle. To go to the MK I usually walked through Epcot and took the monorail to MK. A bit of a hassle also, but I like to walk and preferred it to the bus.

The Yacht\Beach Clubs share a really nice pool, but I really disliked the concierge level here and the feel overall of the Yacht club was not for me.
Don't know about the Spa.

I stay at the Dolphin when I am in the Boardwalk area. This is a Starwood Property, not Disney, so if you are a Starwood Preferred Guest you can often get room upgrades at the Swan and Dolphin.

They have a nice pool and a nice Spa, but many people say it does not have the Disney feel. The rooms are on par with the Disney Deluxes. Just avoid the cheapest room. They tend to have a view of the dumpsters.
tony67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
ShellyLynn3630
DIS Veteran

Hey, the important question is, who does she work for and how can I get a job with them?
ShellyLynn3630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
sandymandr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyLynn3630 View Post
Hey, the important question is, who does she work for and how can I get a job with them?
hahahhaha!! Yeah, right????? I can't believe how generous this man is!! It is a small private company and she was promised several years ago when it was starting that if she stuck with it and worked hard, he would take good care of her! This bonus is in addition to her regular year end bonus!!! And he is giving her the taxes to cover the cost of the trip on her tax forms! He is giving another employee a trip to Alaska!! What an awesome fellow!! I never thought this really happened to people! I feel like I am dreaming!! I'm so lucky she wants to take me! She says it is payback because I have footed the bill for our last 2 trips since she is a single working mother of 2. What a wonderful sister! Awesome!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

CR for MK and monorail. With $8000, go club level. You'll get a tower room and can see the fireworks from your room!!! Request an MK view.

ETA- You could book a 1 bd at Bay lake Towers at the Contemporary. That would give you 1.5 baths, a sleeper sofa in the living room + a kitchen. The kitchen is great for snacks!!!!
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
georgiasmom
Mouseketeer

beach club has everything you want! the BEST pool area and awesome massages on site. When I went with just dd and no dh a few yesr ago dd did the pirate adventure right from the beach club dock and I got a massage.

A
georgiasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: